"Social Justice Kittens" Is a Calendar We Can All Get Behind

Most calendars are, I'm sorry to say, deeply problematic. This one is not.
Most calendars are, I'm sorry to say, deeply problematic. This one is not.
Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.52.50 PM

If you're like me, you don't own a calendar. True, it might be important on occasion to know what day it is and be able to mark upcoming events in a place you and your family can all easily spot within your home. The problem, however, is twofold. One, time is a patriarchal construct; how else to explain that it hasn't progressed quickly enough to where we no longer live in a world where racist, misogynist, heteronormative, transphobic oppression is an unavoidable fact of everyday life? Two, I've found that it's almost impossible to find a decorative calendar that everyone in the home can agree on, since no matter the design it seems to be triggering for at least one person.

Despite the vast number of calendars out there that are, I'm sorry to say, deeply problematic, I'm happy to report that I've finally come across one that everyone in my vegan housing co-op can get behind. Its theme is "Social Justice Kittens" and it features images of adorable kittens accompanied by declarations meant to strike a blow against the tyranny of cis-het orthodoxy.

See for yourself (a statement that is no way intended to be ableist):

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.24.18 PM

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.24.42 PM

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.24.54 PM

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.25.12 PM

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.23.52 PM

Lest you worry that the cats in this calendar are being exploited in the name of naked capitalism, its creator Sean Tejaratchi, who I have to assume is a fellow warrior in the fight against all forms of privileged kyriarchal oppression, assures everyone that's not the case.

Each of these twelve adorable kittens was subject to a week-long, grueling interview process to ensure there was absolutely nothing problematic in its beliefs. Unlike bland, privileged garbage kittens chosen for nothing more than shallow good looks, Social Justice Kittens radiate fierce strength in the face of untold adversity, and all are gifted with a dazzling array of genders and orientations to go with their tiny, oh-so-kissable faces! The patriarchy WILL NEVER accept these kittens!

Unfortunately, as there are only 12 months in the year this calendar can't specifically address crises like fat shaming, queer erasure, assaults on agency, misogynoir, reproductive coercion, governmental invasions of privacy, police militarization, kill lists, Tumblr's draconian terms of service and the fact that Change.org's main page doesn't appear in braille. While this is, in fact, a deeply problematic oversight -- Mariana Trench deep -- I trust Mr. Tejaratchi will correct the issue for 2016.

For now, however, there are the cats. And if you're someone who spends an inordinate amount of time on the internet calling out every little alleged injustice and perceived slight, there's a pretty good chance you're really into cats.