President Obama's Thanksgiving Menu Includes 6 Pies And Maybe An Ebola Vaccine

As we give thanks on one of the slowest news days of the year, the White House announces the President will go to the NIH next week to congratulate them on progress on an Ebola vaccine. Remember Ebola?
As we give thanks on one of the slowest news days of the year, the White House announces the President will go to the NIH next week to congratulate them on progress on an Ebola vaccine. Remember Ebola?
thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving, a time to give thanks (duh), feed our faces, make poor use of the political talking points we've all prepared for our obnoxious uncles/bleeding-heart nephews, and enjoy an almost total news dead zone. One of the ways we stuff the cavity of that news bird every year is with the pardoning of a pair of national turkeys, but President Obama actually took the occasion of Mac and Cheese's redemption to take a couple of sharp political shots:

"I am here to announce what I’m sure will be the most talked-about executive action this month. Today, I’m taking an action fully within my legal authority - the same kind of action taken by Democrats and Republican presidents before me - to spare the lives of two turkeys, Mac and Cheese, from a terrible and delicious fate."

"I know some will call this amnesty, but don’t worry, there’s plenty of turkey to go around."

Funny stuff. Also, to fuel the inevitable King NOBAMA Let Them Eat Cake stories in the conservative media, we have this year's White House Thanksgiving Menu, to which I've added recipe links, so you, too, can dine like an Obama:

Dinner

Thyme Roasted Turkey - Honey-Baked Ham - Cornbread Stuffing - Oyster Stuffing - Braised Winter Greens - Macaroni and Cheese - Sweet Potato Gratin - Mashed Potatoes - Green Bean Casserole - Dinner Rolls

Dessert

Banana Cream Pie - Coconut Cream Pie - Pumpkin Pie - Apple Pie - Pecan Pie - Cherry Pie

Mixed into this news feast like so many cranberries is a White House statement congratulating the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) Dr. Francis Collins and Dr. Tony Fauci on the results of clinical trials for a possible Ebola vaccine.

You do remember Ebola, don't you? I know it was 28 whole days ago that we were locking up nurses and suggesting the execution of anyone who contracted the disease, but in the rest of the word, Ebola is still a thing. On Wednesday, the NIH announced completion of Phase 1 clinical trials for an experimental vaccine:

An experimental vaccine to prevent Ebola virus disease was well-tolerated and produced immune system responses in all 20 healthy adults who received it in a phase 1 clinical trial conducted by researchers from the National Institutes of Health. The candidate vaccine, which was co-developed by the NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), was tested at the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda, Maryland.

Upon receiving the news, the White House announced (via email from the White House):

"To congratulate the NIH team, mark this achievement, and discuss progress on other fronts on the fight against Ebola, President Obama will visit NIH next week, on Tuesday, December 2nd . Additionally, the President will use the visit to make the case for prompt Congressional action on his emergency funding request to combat Ebola at home and abroad."

That's right, after 40 years of Ebola outbreaks in Africa, we're on the verge of a vaccine just a few months after the first-ever case of Ebola in the U.S., further evidence that the best way to kill something is to scare the crap out of white people with it.