Fox News' Tucker Carlson Wants 'Older White Guy Appreciation Day'

Bill O'Reilly thinks Republicans are afraid of black people, but if Tucker Carlson is any indication, maybe they're just in love with their old white selves.
Bill O'Reilly thinks Republicans are afraid of black people, but if Tucker Carlson is any indication, maybe they're just in love with their old white selves.
whiteguy

Bill O'Reilly thinks Republicans are afraid of black people, but if Tucker Carlson is any indication, maybe they're just in love with their old white selves. On Sunday morning, Carlson provided the perfect cherry on top of the Fox and Friends Sunday, punctuating The Five host Dana Perino's analysis of Republican outreach by suggesting a new holiday. Perino gamely conceded that while it's been "beaten into our heads" that Republicans are "too old, you're too white, you're too male," it turns out that this "is true demographically."

Right, and climate change is true scientifically. Perino goes on to explain that the College Republicans hired a woman, and that there are "young people who gave up their entire summers to help older white guys get re-elected, and they deserve a lot credit."

So, "Republicans are great for giving young people lots of older white guys to campaign for" is Perino's pitch, and Tucker Carlson agrees:

"We need, I think, an older white guy appreciation day, I think they've done a lot for this country, as one of them. I do, I think that! Penicillin, that's a contribution!"

Only Tucker Carlson knows for sure why he suggested penicillin, but maybe that's not the best example for White Guy Appreciation Day. It's a little bit like giving out blankets for Columbus Day.

What's particularly amusing is that Perino soldiers on with her application of lipstick to that GOP pig by insisting that the party she just conceded is overwhelmingly old, white, and male has something called a "big tent philosophy." Maybe she's talking about where they like to stash mouthy Ebola nurses.

Being the party of old white guys is working for Republicans this midterm season, as evidenced by the ease with which they joke around about it. In addition to Carlson's quip, Lindsey Graham recently told a group of donors that "If I get to be the president, white men in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency," which is a far cry from the party that commissioned an entire report to find out how it could more effectively try to stop offending women and minorities so much.

You might not be surprised to learn that Carlson is not alone in his desire for some kracker kudos. In 2012, Republican state legislator Cecil Ash (R-AZ) suggested a White Appreciation Day, but only in response to a proposed Latino American Day:

“I’m supportive of this proposition. I just want them to assure me that when we do become in the minority you’ll have a day for us,” Ash said.

This is also very similar to another popular proposal:

"Why isn't there a white history month?" - White Uncle At Every Barbecue Ever

It has long been the liberal response to laugh at and viciously mock suggestions like these, but rather than curse the darkness, I think we ought to try and find some common ground with people like Tucker Carlson. While we may not be able to support an Appreciation Day or a History Month, I'm sure we could get together on a White Awareness campaign. If there's anything folks like Tucker Carlson lack, it's self-awareness.