Thanks, Obama! Unemployment Drops To 5.9 Percent

The September jobs report contained great news for the economy, as the unemployment rate fell below 6% for the first time since our current crop of first-graders was born, but Republicans still found the cloudy lining.
The September jobs report contained great news for the economy, as the unemployment rate fell below 6% for the first time since our current crop of first-graders was born, but Republicans still found the cloudy lining.
jobs

The September jobs report contained great news for the economy, as the unemployment rate fell below 6% for the first time since our current crop of first-graders was born, but Republicans still found the cloudy lining. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the economy added 248,000 jobs in September, while unemployment fell to 5.9%:

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 248,000 in September, and the unemployment rate declined to 5.9 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
reported today. Employment increased in professional and business services, retail trade, and health care.

Obamacare, of course, continued to be a job-killer!

Health care added 23,000 jobs in September, in line with the prior 12-month average gain of 20,000 jobs per month. In September, employment rose in home health care services (+7,000) and hospitals (+6,000).

On top of all that, the jobs numbers for July and August, which were considered a disappointment, were actually revised up:

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for July was revised from +212,000 to +243,000, and the change for August was revised from +142,000 to +180,000. With these revisions, employment gains in July and August combined were 69,000 more than previously reported.

So, essentially, there were 320,000 net jobs gained in the report. In a statement on the September jobs report, the White House added these numbers to the long view:

The private sector has added 10.3 million jobs over 55 straight months of job growth, extending the longest streak on record. Today we learned that total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 248,000 in September, mainly reflecting a 236,000 increase in private employment. Private-sector job growth was revised up for July and August, so that over the past twelve months, private employment has risen by 2.6 million. So far this year, private employment has risen by nearly 2 million, on pace for the strongest year of private-sector job growth since 1998.

Here's how that looks on the famous bikini graph:

jobs

With good news like this, there hasn't been the usual flow of statements from Republican legislators that you'd get with a bad jobs report, but RNC Chairman Reince Priebus gave it a try, and while sourly noting that "Obama’s over-taxing and over-regulating create jobs for the wrong people," and lamenting a time when America could be "free of Democrats’ job-killing regulations and intrusive rules," he accidentally said something that astutely identified one major reason for the years-long job growth:

The Republican-led House of Representatives has passed over 40 jobs bills that Democrats refuse to vote on in the Senate, including legislation to build the Keystone Pipeline. This November, Americans have the chance to send a Republican majority to the Senate. When they do, we can send pro-growth jobs bills to the president’s desk — and we can create jobs for the millions of Americans who still desperately need them.

Translation: The economy added almost 11 million jobs the past few years without passage of a singe Republican jobs bill.

Vote Republican!