FOXTOBERFEST Of Stupid: Mike Huckabee (4) vs. Lauren Green (5)

Game two pits a well-known dunderhead against an underdog who nonetheless turned in one of the stupidest and most embarrassing interviews of all time.
Game two pits a well-known dunderhead against an underdog who nonetheless turned in one of the stupidest and most embarrassing interviews of all time.
HuckGreen

Former Arkansas governor and Huckabee host Mike Huckabee has quite a talent for seeming like he's your cool, guitar-playing uncle even as he simultaneously spouts contemptible faith-based batshit. In his first matchup, Huckabee comes out swinging in our FOXTOBERFEST of Stupid contest when, earlier this year, he lamented the prospect of a brain-dead girl being taken off the ventilator which she needed to breathe:

(Huckabee, January 4, 2014)

"The road that starts that way -- in deciding that some lives have less value than and are unworthy of protection -- that leads to a culture that tolerates the undeserved killing of over 55 million unborn children in this country. It leads to China's birth policy that limits the number of children for a family, and enforces forced abortions if they deviate from the state-determined ideal. It's also the culture that allowed the Nazis to hideously justify the savage slaughter of millions of Jews, disabled people, old people, and those with mental illness."

And Huckabee throws down the gauntlet in round one! He wasted no time and went straight for the alleged connection between abortion and Nazism. Impressive stuff.

But to make things a little more interesting and fair, we're extending the one-year limit to one year and three months because, well, we would be remiss if we omitted Chief Religion Correspondent Lauren Green's cringe-worthy interview with Muslim writer Reza Aslan, which undoubtedly some of you will remember. In that segment, Green was perplexed at how a Muslim could possibly write a book -- Zealot -- about Jesus:

(Spirited Debate, July 26, 2013)

GREEN: This is an interesting book. Now I want to clarify, you’re a Muslim, so why did you write a book about the founder of Christianity?

ASLAN: Well to be clear, I am a scholar of religions with four degrees — including one in the New Testament, and fluency in biblical Greek, who has been studying the origins of Christianity for two decades — who also just happens to be a Muslim. So it’s not that I’m just some Muslim writing about Jesus, I am an expert with a Ph.D in the history of religions…

GREEN: But it still begs the question [sic, it doesn't beg the question] why would you be interested in the founder of Christianity?

ASLAN: Because it’s my job as an academic. I am a professor of religion, including the New Testament. That’s what I do for a living, actually.

[...]

GREEN: But Reza, you're not just writing about religions from the point of an observer. I mean the thing about it is, is that--

ASLAN: Why would you say that?

GREEN: You're quoting as though [you're] a scholar, and I've interviewed scholars who have written books on the Resurrection, on you know, the real Jesus, and who are look at the same information at you're saying, to say that your information is somehow different from theirs is really not being honest here.

ASLAN: Ma'am, my information is not different from theirs at all. I'm afraid it sounds like you haven't actually read my book or have seen what I've said about the Resurrection, or about Jesus, or about his claims. I think you might be surprised at what I say, and there have been thousands of scholars who have written about this very same topic -- many who disagree with me, many who agree with me. That's the thing about scholarship, is that it's a debate over ancient history, and I am one of those people making that debate. I think it's unfair to just simply assume because of my faith background that there is some agenda on this book. That would be like saying a Christian who writes about Muhammad is by definition not able to do so because he has some bias against it--

[Crosstalk]

GREEN: No, he can do so, but I believe you've been on several programs and have never disclosed that you were a Muslim and I think that's in the interest of full disclosure.

ASLAN: Ma'am, in the second page of my book -- the second page of my book says I'm a Muslim. Every single interview I have ever done on TV or on print says I'm a Muslim. You may not be familiar with me, but I'm actually quite a prominent Muslim thinker in the United States. I've written a number of books about Islam. It's just simply incorrect to say media isn't saying I'm a Muslim. I would actually encourage you to try to find media that doesn't mention my biography, which by the way, again, is on the second page of the book.

[Aslan mic drop]

In a weird way, Green sounded somewhat like a social justice warrior on steroids, decrying some sort of illusory cultural appropriation, like white belly-dancing. This is a classic ad hominem attack: try to call into question the person and not the argument directly.

So who wins this matchup? As terrible as Green's interview was, we simply cannot ignore Huckabee's Nazi reference when mentioning abortion. If we extend his logic a little further, everyone who is pro-choice is complicit in the propagation of a Nazi-esque worldview that perpetuates the Holocaust-like death of millions of fetuses.

GAME TWO WINNER: HUCKABEE

Previous game: Sarah Palin vs. Charles Krauthammer