The Edward Snowden Teaser Trailer is Here, and It's as Melodramatic as You'd Imagine

It might as well be the trailer for the next Jason Bourne movie.
It might as well be the trailer for the next Jason Bourne movie.
snowden_trailer_1

It might as well be the trailer for the next Jason Bourne movie. The first trailer for Laura Poitras's documentary feature Citizenfour went live today, and it's everything you'd imagine it would be. Ominous, melodramatic, paranoid-times-a-thousand and super serious.

The trailer begins with a female voice, likely Poitras, speaking as Snowden -- reciting one of the emails he sent to Poitras under the pseudonym "citizenfour," presumably back in late 2012.

"For now, know that every border you cross, every purchase you make, every call you dial, every cellphone tower you pass, friend you keep, sight you visit, and subject line you type is in the hands of a system whose reach is unlimited, but whose safeguards are not."

Wow. I got chills. Not really.

We cut to Hong Kong, 2013, and Edward Snowden's hotel room in which Ewen MacAskill, Poitras and Glenn Greenwald are talking with Snowden, who looks extraordinarily nervous as MacAskill asks for his name. He introduces himself, "Edward Joseph Snowden's the full name." BOOOOOM! Up comes the title. Heartbeat sounds. The only thing missing was this music:

Seriously, though, we're finally one step closer to seeing just a little more of the footage shot in Hong Kong -- the footage you haven't been allowed to see, say nothing of the footage that Greenwald and Poitras decided to entirely leave on the cutting-room floor. If they're really interested in transparency, they'll hopefully release the unedited interview on a future Blu-ray or, hell, posted on The Intercept.

Anyway, I wonder how all of this will play in 2014-2015, now that the story has faded.