Republican Candidate's Pro-Redskins Campaign Ad Is Totally Incoherent

This is the perfect ad for when your campaign is all out of ideas.
This is the perfect ad for when your campaign is all out of ideas.
Gillespie

U.S. Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R) is all out of ideas for how to unseat Mark Warner (D) in Virginia, which explains the campaign ad that D.C.-area viewers of Monday Night Football were treated to during the game between the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys. Down 12 points according to the latest poll, the former Republican National Committee chairman decided to run an ad that speaks to one of the most important issues of our time: the name of Washington's football team.

And it just happens to be an incoherent clusterfuck:

Narrator: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has a bill to force the Redskins to change their name. Mark Warner refused to answer if he supports the bill or not. Why won't Warner fight the anti-Redskins bill? Why won't he answer the question?

Gillespie: I'll answer the question. I'll oppose the anti-Redskins bill. Let's focus on creating jobs, raising take-home pay, and making our nation safer. And let the Redskins handle what to call their team.

So the first half of the ad hammers Warner for not putting energy into fighting this legislation, while the second half emphasizes the need to focus on more important issues. It seems, then, that Gillespie's problem is with Harry Reid, who's been pushing the bill, and not Mark Warner, who doesn't seem particularly interested in spending much time on it at all. In fact, Warner even declined to put his name on a letter signed by half the U.S. Senate requesting the Redskins change their name.

It should also be pointed out that this bill hasn't been debated in the Senate yet, so there's been nothing to vote against. Therefore, when the narrator asks why Warner hasn't fought the bill, he's essentially asking why Warner hasn't spent his time making public statements about it and lobbying against it.

Yet for all Gillespie's talk about wanting to focus on other issues, here he is cutting a campaign spot dedicated entirely to the name of the Washington Redskins, which is way more than can be said of his opponent.