Christian Zealot Murders Teen Because the Bible Says So

A community is shocked at a gruesome crime allegedly motivated by witchcraft, but the act was commanded by god himself.
A community is shocked at a gruesome crime allegedly motivated by witchcraft, but the act was commanded by god himself.
Stillwater

On Wednesday, 21 year-old Isaiah Marin allegedly stabbed 19 year-old Jacob Crockett with a large sword and then "mostly severed" Crockett's head from his body in Stillwater, Oklahoma. According to police, Marin's brother, Samuel, said that "in the past Jacob and Isaiah had disagreements because Jacob and [his brother] Jesse were practicing witchcraft and Isaiah had strong Christian beliefs." He also said his brother is a "heavy drug user" and "religious zealot."

While the crime is horrific, god is firmly on the side of the murderer, provided the victim was in fact practicing sorcery. The Bible is quite clear on this: Witches are to be killed and are destined for an afterlife of eternal hell-fire:

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." - Exodus, 22:18

"And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people." - Leviticus, 20:7

"A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them." - Leviticus, 20:27

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." - Revelation, 21:8

It's true that Marin didn't "stone [his victim] to death with stones" in exact accordance with the Book of Leviticus, but perhaps none were available at the time. Regardless, the end result must surely please the Lord, whose mandate means there is one less sorcerer on the planet.

This episode is another stark reminder that we do not -- or at least should not -- get our morals from the holy books of antiquity. Far from being divinely inspired, these texts are man-made fabrications. Worse, they're man-made fabrications from much less civilized eras. And thankfully, most Jews and Christians have learned to ignore the immoral commands of the Bible that have no place in modern society.

Most.

Follow me on twitter

Images via Daily Mail

RELATED: The Catholic Church's kinder, gentler homophobia is still homophobia; Religious "fundamentalism" is far from a perversion of religion, but rather it's the exact opposite.