Scott Brown: Vote For Me Or the Country Will Collapse When ISIS Comes In From Mexico

Shorter Brown: Vote for me or you're all gonna die.
Shorter Brown: Vote for me or you're all gonna die.
ScottBrown

Not a single poll so far from the U.S. Senate race in New Hampshire between Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D) and Scott Brown (R) has shown Brown leading, which might explain his pathetic attempt to dial up fear about ISIS to extreme levels in a new campaign ad.

WARNING: FEAR-MONGERING AHEAD

Anyone who turns on the TV these days knows we face challenges to our way of life. Radical Islamic terrorists are threatening to cause the collapse of our country. President Obama and Senator Shaheen seem confused about the nature of the threat.

Not me. I want to secure the border, keep out the people who would do us harm, and restore America’s leadership in the world.

I’m Scott Brown and I approve this message because protecting the homeland is the first step to making America strong again.

Mother of god.

For what it's worth, the spot debuts one day after Brown told some seniors at a retirement home in Concord, "The world is on fire right now."

This is classic Scott Brown, empty suit. Even for a campaign ad, it's so bereft of coherence that it's dangerously approaching not even wrong territory. The idea that ISIS is "threatening to cause the collapse of our country" is so laughable that any informed person about to watch the ad should have an oxygen mask handy, lest they asphyxiate on Brown's comical stupidity. No doubt, ISIS could harm the United States, but to say that a few thousand Quran-thumpers with Soviet-era weaponry could cause the collapse of the U.S. is either shameless fear-mongering or sheer idiocy, depending on whether Brown actually believes what he's saying.

Furthermore, when Brown made the ISIS-to-Mexican border pivot above, he joined the elite group of foreign policy analysts known as whackadoos, which includes such worldly luminaries as Texas sheriff Gary Painter and Sen. Lindsey "Bomb 'Em While You Got 'Em" Graham (R-S.C.). Last week, Painter told Fox News that "people" along the border "have found Muslim clothing" and "Quran books [sic] that are laying [sic] on the side of the road," even though Fox News itself reported there's no evidence that ISIS is planning to enter the U.S. from Mexico. Meanwhile, Graham said that if President Obama doesn't send ground troops into Syria, we will "all get killed at home."

When Brown says he wants to "secure the border," he is, in effect, saying nothing at all. "Secure the border" is one of the most meaningless phrases in U.S. politics, right up there with "cut waste, fraud, and abuse." Unless Republicans somehow achieve their completely impractical pipe dream of a 1,954 mile-long impregnable Great Wall of America along the Mexican border, that border will never be truly "secure." From now until the actual collapse of the republic, politicians of both parties will be accused of not "securing the border."

And that's fine. Politicians are more than welcome to continue their storied tradition of saying lots of things without saying anything at all. But when they attempt to get the electorate to crap its pants at the thought radical Islamic terrorists coming up from Mexico and subsequently causing so much havoc as to bring down the country, that is a special kind of baseless and depraved alarmism that needs to be seen for what it is: desperation.

Follow Mike on twitter

h/t: Bob Cesca