A Republican Congressman Admits It: The GOP Plans To Slam Obama on ISIS No Matter What

It was always going to be easy to write something today about the hypocrisy of conservatives in their responses to President Obama's ISIS address last night. Thankfully, the GOP is making it even easier.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
It was always going to be easy to write something today about the hypocrisy of conservatives in their responses to President Obama's ISIS address last night. Thankfully, the GOP is making it even easier.
Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 11.09.32 AM

It was always going to be easy to write something today about the hypocrisy of conservatives in their responses to President Obama's ISIS address last night. We've gone over this many times before, pointing out all the different ways the right and its mouthpieces once demanded unwavering support for a Republican president during the time of war that resulted from the 9/11 attacks and contrasting that with their unrelenting criticism of the current Democratic president during basically the same time of war. All it would've taken to tackle this subject yet again and call attention to many conservatives' grotesque dishonesty and lack of overall seriousness was to post a couple of links to some of the reaction coming from the likes of Fox News,Rush Limbaugh, or the Boehner/Graham/McCain triumvirate today.

Thankfully, the GOP is making it even easier than that, thanks to a comment from Republican Congressman Jack Kingston of Georgia that's now making the rounds. In a New York Times piece a couple of days ago, Kingston voiced support for the idea of a congressional vote to authorize military action against ISIS. In other words, to basically go to war. Now while you might assume that Kingston's motivations for taking a position like this are entirely noble and are representative of his party's desire to approach this thing in good faith and with a show of American unity, let's give you the money quote -- in which Kingston explains what most Republicans are thinking about the president's willingness to go it alone.

"Republicans don’t want to change anything. We like the path we’re on now. We can denounce it if it goes bad, and praise it if it goes well and ask what took him so long."

In other words, despite all the self-righteous bluster we heard from them during the Bush administration about how unpatriotic and damn-near treasonous it is to stand against the President of the United States when we're at war, the GOP will punish Obama whether the fight against ISIS is seen as a success or not. They're purposely staying out of it so that they can put it all off on Obama if things tank -- and if things don't, they'll just find something else about it to bitch about.

At this point it shouldn't come as any sort of shock when we see another example of cynical conservative hypocrisy and obstructionism, but for some reason it's still astonishing to contemplate how blatant it is, how little they care about even trying to hide it.

No matter what Obama does, the right will despise him for it and publicly criticize him at every opportunity. I remember when that kind of thing used to be called "giving aid and comfort to the enemy." Refusing to support the president in his decision to take us into combat isn't necessarily a bad thing -- hypocrisy is.

(h/t Mediaite)