People Saying "I Hate U2" in Response To Free Album Isn't as Much Fun as Kids Saying "Who Is U2?"

Even if you don't much like Songs of Innocence, there's at least one good thing that can come out of all this: the chance it gives us to laugh at largely illiterate kids who are just losing their fucking minds because they have no idea who U2 even is and certainly don't want them anywhere near their iPhones.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Even if you don't much like Songs of Innocence, there's at least one good thing that can come out of all this: the chance it gives us to laugh at largely illiterate kids who are just losing their fucking minds because they have no idea who U2 even is and certainly don't want them anywhere near their iPhones.
Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.24.47 AM

Political blogger Seth Masket has my favorite comment so far about the pissy response many have had to suddenly finding a U2 album in their iTunes libraries.

As you no doubt know by now, last week Apple shocked everyone by not only announcing the details of the new iPhone 6 but by introducing U2, whose new surprise album Songs of Innocence had just appeared out of nowhere in the music libraries of every single iTunes user as if by some dark wizardry or NSA spook shit. The past week has seen, to put it mildly, some strong reaction to this "gift." In fact, in what may be less a First World problem than a full on First World Defcon 1 emergency, social media has been burning so brightly with the white hot rage of people who just cannot have 10 songs they don't much care for in their libraries that Apple has now explained how to erase the record if you don't want it. Crisis averted, America. Now we can move on to that ISIS thing. There are some who've likened the way Apple distributed the album to "spamming" people and others who simply hate U2 so much that they feel like they now have to purify their phones with fire and bill it to Apple. If you go just by the numbers, the whole thing really was a "debacle" that cost Apple around a hundred million dollars for basically nothing but bad press. But even if you don't much like Songs of Innocence, there's at least one good thing that can come out of all this: the chance it gives us to laugh at largely illiterate kids who are just losing their fucking minds because they have no idea who U2 even is and certainly don't want them anywhere near their iPhones. Behold, a small sample of goodness from the Tumblr "Who Is U2?":

At least one girl kind of liked what she found in her library, even if she had no clue what it was.

And more than a few people simply weren't happy with the kind of free music they were getting.

It was actually these last couple of responses that made me start to understand and agree that what Apple did with U2 was pretty insidious, because music really is a very personal thing. I get why people might be pissed if an artist they don't like is arrogantly foisted on them. With all due respect to the author of that last tweet, I know that if I found a Beyoncé album in my library I'd probably drive to Cupertino, tie Tim Cook to a chair, and make him watch me set an Apple Genius's beard on fire.