American Folk Hero Chris Brown Shocks Nation By Punching Someone In The Face

Chris Brown! A two-time recipient of the NAACP Image award!
Chris Brown! A two-time recipient of the NAACP Image award!
chris brown

It has been said that this is the age of the anti-hero, with the Walter Whites and the Don Drapers consuming our attention and making us question the very real complexity of human nature. But what about those pillars of justice and righteousness that we always look to when things get tough, the Supermans, the Pope Francises, the Princess Dianas? How are expected to cope when one of the good ones turns rotten?

In a shocking turn of events, Chris Brown, a two-time recipient of the NAACP Image award, pleaded guilty to punching a man in the face who tried to get in a picture the singer was taking with two women outside the W Hotel in Washington D.C., thus breaking his nose.

Unfortunately, our tragic hero was already going through his disheartening but necessary "Revelation: Transformation: Atonement" Hero's Journey phase after the incident with Rihanna, in which he did this to his then-girlfriend before the 2009 Grammys:

rhianna

This means he was on probation at the time he was arrested for said punch, causing a judge in California to revoke his probation and ordering him to serve an additional 131 days in jail in May, only for Brown to be released in June (some men can just psychologically rehabilitate faster than others...). In terms of this case, however, after Brown pled guilty to misdemeanor assault, the judge only sentenced him to time served (Brown spent 2 introspective, transformative days in DC jail immediately following the incident).

According to the Associated Press, Brown's attorney successfully argued that Brown had already suffered extensive consequences from the Washington case, noting the additional jail time in California and the four months he spent receiving inpatient counseling, pointing out that Brown's career has been on hold for nearly a year and that he wanted to take responsibility for his actions so he could go back to work, including a tour in support of a new album.

Going through a grueling punishment, taking responsibility for your actions, and announcing a bold determination to be a productive member of society once more? I guess that's what makes someone a real hero. Bieber, take notes from your Canadian jail cell.

After leaving the hearing, Brown tweeted "#XTheAlbum," a reference to his new album due out later this month.

Because everyone needs a hero sometimes...

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 1.13.02 PM