Apparently YouTubers Love Sexual Assault

Once again, YouTubers fail to restore anyone's faith in humanity.
Once again, YouTubers fail to restore anyone's faith in humanity.
Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 11.01.58 AM

There's never anything more depressing than reading the comments section of YouTube. It rarely matters what the video is about, as it is almost a guarantee that hordes of lonely psychopaths descend upon the comments section to spew hateful venom at each other, the video or to the world in general.

Take for example the White House's new campaign to stop sexual assault in colleges called "It’s On Us." Several celebrities have joined the cause urging men to take responsibility for their actions and stop assaulting women, one of them being Mad Men's Jon Hamm who did his bit to combat the epidemic.

Hamm's segment is quite compelling, and hopefully it brings some much needed attention to the cause. But alas, YouTubers took the opportunity to weigh in with their opinion of Hamm's performance and sexual assault. As of this morning, the video was down voted 76 times, 10 more than those who liked it:

Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 7.25.52 PM

And then there are the comments. Here are some of the ones that stood out (and unfortunately the deeply unpleasant ones were in the majority):

Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 11.01.42 AM

Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 11.01.11 AM
Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 11.01.25 AM

I'm not sure why, but this comment made me particularly sad:

Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 3.22.46 PM

I'm hoping that the huge turnout in New York City for the 'Flood Wall St' environmental protests is more indicative of where we're going as a species than this, otherwise we're in deep trouble.