Republican Steve King's Awesome New Surrogate 'N-Word'

Over the years, Republicans have made an art of poorly-coded ways to be racist, from Ronald Reagan's "strapping young bucks" to Paul Ryan's "inner-city culture," but Rep. Steve King (R-IA) may have just become the Michelangelo of the form.
Over the years, Republicans have made an art of poorly-coded ways to be racist, from Ronald Reagan's "strapping young bucks" to Paul Ryan's "inner-city culture," but Rep. Steve King (R-IA) may have just become the Michelangelo of the form.
king2

Over the years, Republicans have made an art of poorly-coded ways to be racist, from Ronald Reagan's "strapping young bucks" to Paul Ryan's "inner-city culture," but Rep. Steve King (R-IA) may have just become the Michelangelo of the form. In an interview with Newsmax, King came up with what has to be the most creative, least subtle euphemism for black people I've ever heard.

In discussing the Congressional Black Caucus' letter to the Justice Department asking for an investigation into racial profiling in Ferguson, King dismissed the very idea that racial profiling could be a factor in Ferguson, because everyone in Ferguson is black. That's just math. What's fascinating is how he said it:

"I've seen the video. It looks to me like you don't need to bother with that particular factor because they all appear to be of a single, you know, of a single origin, I should say, a continental origin might be the way to phrase that."

While you kind of have to admire King's mad verbal skills here, he's a little bit off on the math. Although panic may cause King to block out everyone else, black people are only 63% of the population in Ferguson, not 100%. You would think, then, that probably twice as many black people get pulled over or stopped as white people, maybe a little bit more, if we're being math-y. In fact, almost seven times as many black people were stopped as white people, while black people were searched eleven times more than white people.

I know what you're thinking, Steve, those continental types probably have criminal tendencies the size of cantaloupes, so if they're doing all the crime, then they deserve to be stopped more. The thing is, the white people who were searched were 50% more likely to have contraband found on them.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it is time for white leaders like Steve King to stop blaming everyone else for their problems, and start doing something about white culture.