Norm MacDonald May Have Just Written the Best Tribute To Robin Williams Yet

Norm MacDonald is the living embodiment of one of the truths about comedy that most confounds literalists: that being a disinterested, vaguely antisocial prick is often all kinds of fucking funny. Whether you’re a fan of his particular brand of acerbic wit or not, though, MacDonald is a smart comic who earlier this morning used his considerable talent for weaving a story to pay tribute to Robin Williams, a man he idolized.

In just a few tweets, MacDonald manages to perfectly sum up everything that made Robin so great.

(h/t Complex)

* Please make sure to Like The Daily Banter on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter. Thank you!

  • sunflower52

    The day Robin Williams died it rained here in Florida. I figured it was God busting a gut and crying from laughing. He was, as they say, a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

  • Monique-Amie Perzylo

    I love our Beloved Robin Williams. He suffered from manic-depression. The political correct way , now is BI-POLAR DISORDER. After reading Nora D. Gedgaudas ‘ book : Primal Body, Primal Mind only then did I understand that my Dad suffered from food allergies. Read THAT BOOK. Period.

  • randyrandyman

    Sometimes just going through the motions
    Pulls us forward.

    Row
    Row
    Row your boat

  • berlioz

    Robin Williams may have stepped out of this green room we all share. But it is comforting knowing that we have Norm MacDonald to keep us company.

  • Kevin Edwards

    Hearing denouncements about Robin Williams’ suicide has prompted me to share this with those of you who don’t get it. I LIVE with depression.

    MY DEPRESSION

    Wood

    Kindled and treated

    Paper

    Processed and formed

    Moments

    Sudden, real, inescapable joy

    Feel

    Like a match between your fingers moving

    quickly across a hard dry surface.

    A catalyst that ignites combustion and flame.

    Leaping into existence harnessing an energy

    Of infinite possibility

    Life, vibrant, powerful, everlasting

    Wood

    Damp and cold

    Paper

    Soft and wet

    Anxiety

    Expecting failure, doom

    Void

    Like a match between your fingers

    Limp and soggy while crumbling apart

    Smeared against the dashed hopes of

    Attaining anything like a flicker,

    Spark or embered glow

    Emptiness covering opaque shapes,

    sounds and scents that harbor uncomfortable

    reminders of helpless dread, endless fear

    permanent, negative resolution

    KSE

    18SEP2012

  • 2Smart2bGOP

    Made me all misty and I don’t even LIKE Norm MacDonald.

    • Sandika

      That is, verbatim, my experience right now.

  • cattyfan

    The tweets are marvelous, but Chez Pazienza wrote a lousy, unnecessarily vulgar intro.

  • justdumpyme

    Depression! A horrible feeling, a lousy way to live. Of course you know you have family and friends (and, for Robin, fans) who love you. You know this in your heart…most of the time. At other times, you’re just “there.” You can’t explain it. You just have to endure it, hope it passes. Suicide. A horrible thought, a lousy way to end your life. Because it’s a selfish act! Robin’s depression must have been way darker than mine, one I never want to experience. Knowing that I love my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and would not want them to experience what it’s like to lose someone you love to suicide is why I’m still here. Why should they be forced to live the rest of their lives wondering? Wondering if there couldn’t have been some thing they could have done…there isn’t. Wondering why their love for me wasn’t enough…it was. I am able to hang on because I’ve not reached that lowest depth of despair and do not want to ruin anyone else’s life due to my own selfish act.

    • Sandika

      Since when did suicide become about anyone but the truly tortured? They have the rest of their lives to LIVE, albeit one person short. The one with the broken brain, the illness for whom treatment has not taken effect in time, feels hopeless and the torture is unbearable. When life becomes nothing but full-time, eternal agony, you’ll do anything to make it stop.

      Depression is an illness. If someone died of cancer, would you call them selfish for leaving their family members behind because their treatment failed?

      • justdumpyme

        I had an older sister who had fought cancer for almost 30 years. At one point she told me that her doctors wanted her to resume her chemo and radiation treatments and that she had decided to forget about any more treatments; she was just plain tired of them. I scolded her, reminding her that she had grandchildren and asked how she could be so selfish to even think of leaving them before they had any solid memories of their grandmother. She went ahead and continued with the doctor’s recommended treatments and lived another 7 or 8 productive years and creating memories with and for her grandchildren. So, to answer your question: yes. Her loved ones were not left to wonder what they could have done, etc. When she died we knew why, we knew we had done everything we could to help her and that she had done everything she could have done.

        • Sandika

          “Scolded” her? I can’t even believe I read that.

          “….When she died we knew why, we knew we had done everything we could to help her…”

          No, you knew you had done everything you could to help YOU. I’m sure glad you can now sleep well knowing you made her purpose all about anyone BUT her and that you got every last drop of use from her that you could before you could let her go.

          How completely and utterly SELFISH. Just whose life WAS that you took over?

          • justdumpyme

            Well, all I can tell you is that, yes…I did have second thoughts after I called her selfish because I understood that she was tired of going through all those treatments. What you need to know is that about 6 months before she died she thanked me because she got to see her grandson marry a lovely young woman who 2 years later presented her with her first great-grandchild who has some beautiful pictures of being held by someone who loved him. You may consider this selfish, but my sister didn’t. You have not walked in our shoes. You have not lived our experiences. You, Sandika, do not know everything there is to know about everyone else and their own particular circumstances. This particular event worked for ALL of US involved. It may not work the next time; it may not even happen the next time. To paraphrase your remarks: How completely and utterly RUDE. Just who appointed you the only one who knows what others are going through and why? Just whose life was involved here? No one YOU knew. I can appreciate a deep concern for others, but there is NEVER a reason to ASSUME that YOU are the only one with answers. If ever you’re in the same situation as my sister or I was, please let me know how you feel when someone you love dies and you turned your back on that person. My sister and I were very close. You and I ARE NOT!

  • Enrique Elizondo

    All this makes me sad no laughter no capture of hyperbole i am just sad.

  • Dcbos

    We are all more alone;the world lost part of its soul.

  • http://www.drkevinlkeough.com/ Dr. Kevin L Keough

    I am not sure how we think we can ever describe or understand a suicide. People pull “Jesus” into the discussion, judge RW in different ways, state they understand RW’s plight, and share how their lives prevent them from suicide. A bit of humility and compassion might put an end to all the drivel. Now, I realize people “need” to make sense of such a sad thing but let’s remain sensitive to his family and friends.

  • barb

    I cry alone. Im always alone

  • Stephen Graff

    This gives me new respect for McDonald. Great story with a moving turn at the end.

  • joecooling

    Robin Williams saved my life. I had quite smoking after 20 years. My business partnership was falling apart and I was at a low point in my life. I believe now looking back I had a chemical imbalance and possible depression. It was the lowest point in my life. I went at my wife’s request, by myself to see Mrs.Doubtfire. As I watched and laughed I just for a short time forgot the pain I was in. It made me realize I could get better. I will never forget the look in his eyes. It was the turning point in my life. Thank you Robin.

  • Jaxiska

    WOW, just WOW!

  • Scarlett Buckland

    That was heartfelt and beautiful sa8d.

  • http://www.windwalkerphotography.biz/ Frank LaFerriere

    I’ve suffered from depression for decades. I have woken up in hospital emergency rooms having my stomach pumped out.

    Depression is an illness, a disease that is with you, covering you in a cold, wet blanket, trying to smother you from all life.

    Do not ever judge someone…whom commits suicide…due to depression….unless you have walked in our shoes.

    • Sandika

      Hear, hear! There’s no excuse for the whole “selfish” label being thrown out by the ignorant among us. Far as I’m concerned, anyone who makes a depressed, suicidal person’s suffering about THEM is selfish themselves. Get over it… it’s not about YOU. Try to help the suffering instead of trying to guilt them into “getting over it”, which Will Not Work.

  • johninglis

    Except for the introduction, this was good.

  • Frederick Robinson

    Magic.

  • englishsunset

    Da Dorq…Angels hide among us in many disguises. It’s easy to dismiss such a suggestion as fantasy. I say, many of our fantasies are our lives and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

  • Ed

    adrian cronhauer once said he never got to know robin because he always talking to people like he was on stage doing a bit. even though mcdonald story is funny, it just goes to show you he and most others never really knew the real RW. Adrian said the only time RW was himself was when he was with his children, but he couldn’t get close enough to really see the real RW. His children’s stories would be the most interesting.

  • ScottinVA

    Thank you Norm! Robin Williams touched countless people through what is quite obviously a servant’s heart and giving soul. He made several trips to deployed locations to perform for our troops and for that, they’re forever grateful.

    If we only knew the pain the man was experiencing toward the end… what a difference it might’ve made for him to see an outpouring of support and love.

    Robin, it was a great ride… Like that great entertainer who preceded you on the troop entertainment circuit.. thanks for the memories.

  • Corey Moura

    What gets me is that. Even though he suffered through depression and we found out recently the early stages of Parkinsons, story after story came out about how he has helped countless people and non profits over the years. The pain he had to go through to do these things just amazes me. As a person who has depression, there are days I don’t even want to breathe yet Robin goes and donates money to a charity in seattle or shaking hands with fans when he’s just on the street. I don’t believe in god but I do believe that he is a Saint among men and hopefully his pain is gone and his soul may rest peacefully

  • Maxien Fisher

    This gave me leaky eye syndrome! It sounds exactly like Robin Williams! And for me, even with his death and being a huge fan, I just can’t bring myself to be too sad. Robin lived his life to the full, he made dreams come true, made people laugh and had some of the most memorable roles in movies… I can’t be too sad about his death because he left me with way too many happy memories and movies to think about and watch. There isn’t a single thought or memory in my head that can make me sad…. I hope I can leave a legacy as amazing as his.

    “To die would be an awfully big adventure” – Robin Williams – Hook
    Go have that adventure Mr Williams :) xx

  • Renee

    Thank you Norm for sharing that story. But what really has impressed me is the people on this site. So many kind things said & encouragement to others. I am so glad I visited : )
    My condolences to his family.

  • http://www.4chan.org/pol La’Milton

    pow, right in the feels.

  • Kris

    He used to come into the restaurant I worked and was the kindest, sweetest man ever. RIP Robin, you’ll be so missed

  • John___Galt

    Emergencies relieve the symptoms of depression.

  • Art Toegemann

    His is a special show. The premise is the theater, where nothing is real. Additionally, he frequently did not work from a script. A high flyer, again I think of Ferlinghetti’s littlecharliechaplinman.
    In treatment, this does not speak well of the health profession. He joins the list of artists it failed.

  • The_Last_Ride

    He always made me laught or sad with his performences, it’s sad to see he had such a hole in his life where no one could bring him happiness despite him being such a great man to me personally

  • Jen Donald

    Norm…………………………………………………….thank you.

  • grest

    The world would be just as fine a place – if not finer – if Norm McDonald and the other booze swilling fun guys would just get day jobs as engineers and accountants. We are none the better for their smirkey faces bouncing around the TV screen. These tragic deaths would be formally off limits in most media outlets because of contagion if not for the individuals’ fame. Understand this… media does not follow the lives of famous people because they matter, media follows famous people because it sells.

  • CC

    Beautifully said.

  • Pam Brunskill

    This was beautiful.

  • Bobby J Clevidence

    Wow,nice story..RIP Robin Williams you will ALWAYS be my favorite!!

  • AZWarrior

    Any man who made the kids at St. Jude’s and our troops in a war zone laugh…………… Is okay by me.

  • staffy mom for 4

    Norm, that was just simply beautiful, thanks for sharing :) RIP Robin Williams, I will miss you too!

  • Teresa Jefferson Rae

    :(

  • Teresa Jefferson Rae

    :(

  • Teresa Jefferson Rae

    :(

  • California Granny

    For many of us who do have a strong faith in Christ, we do learn how to seek answers from our faith, reading the scriptures, praying, and seeking help from others of our faith community. But to simply say that Christ is the answer when someone hasn’t had any sense of connection to fall back on is like telling someone to take two pills and call the doctor in the morning. Spiritual connections come from seeking, but that isn’t likely to happen if prompted only by a crises. Develop faith and confidence when things are going well and they will likely work better in moments of difficulty, but don’t condemn the faith of others just because it doesn’t work for you. Those of us who have struggled with depression can easily understand how difficult life can become in ways that those who are healthy cannot. And after the fact, claiming that someone should have found a source of strength to help them get through their problems isn’t useful either. Robin had a life that can be celebrated, and the circumstances of his passing are secondary, if not actually meaningless, to that. RIP, Good Friend!

[...]

  • Dyan York

    Lovely ~

  • Dyan York

    Lovely ~

  • Frank Lee

    As the song says, “now there’s some sad things known to man, but ain’t too much sadder than the tears of a clown, when there’s no one around…” Thank you Norm for the touching tribute.

  • barb

    I feel this way everyday. , no one ever listens or hears me. :(

    • keith

      hugs to you

    • John___Galt

      They don’t listen to me either, so I talk to myself in the car.

  • Robin

    beautiful

  • BobbieAnne

    Beautiful. Beautiful.

  • Brandis5

    Besides Princess Diana, Robin Williams is the only other well known person that brought me to many tears,upon hearing he passed away. Amazing talent.

  • Little Alex

    Beautiful sentiment from the best ever Weekend Update anchor.

  • Patrick Cardenas

    Thanks. Super cool.

  • Jim

    He just wanted to make people happy and he did in spades. His desire to ALWAYS be funny and to please people could manifest itself in many ways and perhaps he was sad and didn’t want others to feel this…either way…if this were England he should be awarded the title of “Sir.” Such a beautiful man who made MILLIONS laugh and forget about their troubles if only briefly. There will never be another…

  • Blue in Louisiana

    That was great, Norm. Robin woudda loved it!

  • David E McClure

    He made millions laugh….he needed someone to make HIM laugh!

    • LB

      I honestly believe he derived the joy in his life from others – it seems to be what kept him going.

  • http://www.beyondhollywood.com/ Dedpool

    WOW!! JUST WOW!!!

  • OnlyMonsters

    Anti-racist is a code word for anti-White

  • chinablack

    My heart was so saddened at the announcement of Robin Williams death. I thought of the terrible pain his family must be going through and I prayed for their comfort and peace. To say he was funny is a gross understatement of his brilliant comedic sense and timing. People are posting their opinions about him and their perception of depression but unless it envelopes them like it does so many, they are merely helpless observers. Disease, disorder; labels rarely matter when you find yourself in the clutches of a force that pulls you against your will into the deepest abyss. Unless there is a clear cry for help, others will never know you’re falling because that force can overwhelm you; I speak from experience, but this is not about me. I will never forget Robin Williams; he was a rare gift. Try to apprehend what has happened to him and his wife and family. Be kind to someone who you suspect may have chronic depression and let them know you’re there for them, even if you don’t “get it.” Please believe me; it is not something that you can “just get over. ” As for me, his passing still hurts too much. But the mention of his name brings a smile in memory.

  • Lisa Williams

    It’s so hard for people to fathom the depths of depression. It is so easy to appear happy and content on the outside and swim around in the depths of darkness inside. Sometimes, there is that little light glimmering in the darkness and you clamour so hard to reach it and hold on to it hoping it will lead you out of the darkness. Sometimes there is no light and you search endlessly for something to reach out for. I ache not just for Robin for for all people that suffer from this silent killer. It distorts your Soul, your reality and your being and for the fortunate ones of us, that glimmering light saves us one more time. RIP beautiful Soul.

  • DoctorSyn

    Depression. Don’t underestimate it. It will try to get you in a room alone. Norm, you were never alone. Robin was.

  • ocdetf

    Oh, brother!

  • Cynthia Gist

    Norm always was the best at summing up a situation. He was the funniest Weekend Update Anchor ever!

  • Jessie Citterman

    Jess calling Robin. Come in, Robin. Jess calling Robin. Come in, Robin.

    “Death. To die. To expire. To pass on. To perish. To peg out. To push up daisies. To push up posies. To become extinct. Curtains, deceased, demised, departed, and defunct. Dead as a doornail. Dead as a herring. Dead as a mutton. Dead as nits. The last breath. Paying a debt to nature. The big sleep. God’s way of saying, “Slow down.””
    “To check out.”
    “To shuffle off this mortal coil.”
    “To head for the happy hunting ground.”
    “To blink for an exceptionally long period of time.”
    “To find oneself without breath.”
    “To be the incredible decaying man.”
    “Worm buffet.”
    “Kick the bucket.”
    “Buy the farm.”
    “Take the cab.”
    “Cash in your chips.”

    You had all these euphemisms for no longer being alive, all said with a certain morbid humor that only you could achieve, and yet, when I look back now, I find it tougher and tougher to find that glimmer of comedy. Someone could ask me right now if I thought you were humorous, and all I would be able to say is, “I used to. There was a time when I found you funny, but today you have proven me wrong.”

    Please don’t think I’m judging you for the choice you made, because in all honesty, I’ve been there myself. “Yeah, I could do it. We both know you wouldn’t stop me. So answer me please. Tell me what you’re doing. Okay, let’s look at the logic. You create man. Man suffers enormous amounts of pain. Man dies. Maybe you should have had just a few more brainstorming sessions prior to creation. You rested on the seventh day. Maybe you should’ve spent that day on compassion… You know what? You’re not worth it.” In the end, I stop myself. “To die would be a grand adventure!” Which is true, I suppose, but then I reconsider. “Oh, no. To live… to live would be an awfully big adventure.”

    Living with depression isn’t EASY. “This is a battle, a war, and the casualties could be your hearts and souls.” As with every other struggle, there are ups and downs. Some days I wake up and evaluate my mental health with a positive perspective. “People call those imperfections, but no, that’s the good stuff.” Through my treatment, I have met some of my closest friends. However, not every day is that effortless. More mornings than not, I would question what could possibly lie ahead. “What do I want to be when I grow up? Alive.” That is my dream: To grow up. “If it can be dreamed, it can be done.” So far, I’m doing it.

    “I try to make sense of things. Which is why, I guess, I believe in destiny. There must be a reason that I am as I am. There must be.” But what reason can one find for existing in a state of perpetual misery? It certainly doesn’t help when people are passing judgement on you simply because you have a chemical unbalance in your brain. “Well, I’m not a freak.” Sure, I’ll tell myself that, but to what degree do I actually find it true? “I don’t know. I’m kinda f***ed up in general, so it’s hard to gauge.”

    People are asking how someone as boisterous and hilarious as you could feel so dismally depressed that you would actually commit suicide. “Like so many things, it is not what outside, but what is inside that counts.” I only wish someone had asked you what was going on inside you. While you were making the world laugh, you were silently dying inside. “What’s true in our minds is true, whether some people know it or not.” We may not have known about your misery, but that obviously brings no solace to you. I hope you know, though, “It’s not your fault.”

    Doctors are approaching the treatment of mental illnesses from a totally wrong perspective. “We need to start treating the patient as well as the disease.” Everyone with depression is not the same; we are not cookie cutter people who can all be helped with the same things across the board. I have been hospitalized three times for depression and suicidal thoughts, gone through countless medication changes, and still attend regular therapy sessions with a variety of doctors, but to say that I have been cured would be insulting to the internal turmoil that occurs daily. “I wish I could sometimes freeze frame a moment in my day, look at it and say “this is not my life.”” I wasn’t always this way, nor were you, but what changed? When? Why? It gets to the point where any potential freedom is a temptation beyond compare. “But oh, to be free. Such a thing would be greater than all the magic and all the treasures in all the world.” When life is so miserable that death equates to freedom, serious assistance is needed, but what’s being offered now to those who ask for help just isn’t cutting it.

    “The human spirit is more powerful than any drug – and THAT is what needs to be nourished: with work, play, friendship, family. THESE are the things that matter. This is what we’d forgotten – the simplest things.” I wish more doctors tried that approach to assisting those with mental illnesses instead of drugging us into a state of numb apathy. There is reason to hope for change in the future, though. “There is still a lot to learn and there is always great stuff out there. Even mistakes can be wonderful.” To you, your suicide was not a mistake, but to the rest of the world, there could not be a greater tragedy. However, you have brought mental health to the forefront of people’s minds and opened discussions that were previously taboo. Perhaps through these discussions, we can learn from your mistake and prevent other mistakes in the future.

    To some, your death was just the passing of another actor, but to me, it really struck home. I didn’t just see someone else who lost their battle against depression; I saw someone else who had deceived everyone into thinking he was fine. “Your job was improving the quality of life, not just delaying death.” Watching one of your movies was not just something done to pass the time in my household, and as such, I firmly believe you did your job exceptionally well. “To be acknowledged for who and what you were, no more, no less. Not for acclaim, not for approval, but, the simple truth of that recognition. This has been the elemental drive of your existence, and it has been achieved, so you may live and die with dignity.” You weren’t the best actor in Hollywood, but you were certainly one of the most beloved. It is just a shame that you could not have taken joy in your accomplishments and been “glad to be of service.” If only you could have seen yourself the way that the rest of us saw you. “You did not know how precious your gift was.”

    I have always had trouble coming to terms with the idea of someone no longer being around, but I’m finding it especially difficult with someone I admired as much as you. “I love you with every cell, with every atom. I love you on a subatomic level.” The fact that you’re no longer here is baffling, but you leave a legacy that will remain forever. “No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.” Despite no longer living on this earth, you will continue to influence me forevermore. I finish typing this with trembling fingers and tears pouring down my cheeks. “A tear for every happy thought.” Needless to say, that’s a lot of tears. From when I first saw you on Mork and Mindy as a young girl, I knew that there were many more happy thoughts to come. “I’m gonna be telling your story, Robin Williams, long after you’re dead and gone!”

    Nanu-nanu!
    Jess from the US

    • LB

      This was beautiful and moving, Jess. Thank you.

  • NoFightingInTheWarRoom

    This is great. But the click bait headline is pretty unnecessary in light of the tragedy.

  • Denise Fowkes

    My heart broke when I learned of Robin Williams’ passing. He was a remarkable man that I loved and enjoyed his tv shows, movies and comedy. I too am suffering from depression. Not as bad as some of the others but its a struggle nonetheless. When I was 15 I came home from school to catch my father in the act of committing suicide. He had a hose attached to his blazer and I was so angry with him. I remember yanking the hose off and running into the house. My dad following me yelling my name. I went to my room and stayed there awhile. My dad suffered from alcoholism and mental illness. He fought a difficult battle but in the end he lost. He has been missing for almost 10 years now. The police found his car along the road with notes in it saying he would see us in heaven and he was sorry. We presume he is dead because there has been no information on any websites leading to locate him. This bothers me immensely but I hope and pray he is finally at peace. Just as I hope Robin has found peace. Nanu-Nanu my friend.

  • jeff

    A message about the loss of one of our own. Goodbye Mr Williams. You were the best at what you did. You made us laugh for decades all the while you were crying on the inside (and sometimes on the outside). Like many of us you sought “help” with substances that do way more destruction than good, if they help at all (they dont). You fought the good fight for many years and were a shining example of recovery. Then things went horribly wrong. I remember meeting you briefly at the 2006 Washington DC premier for “Man of the Year” while you were in the throes of relapse. We spoke briefly about addiction and recovery. I am a better person for meeting you. Many of us suffer from the same crippling depression that you suffered from. Thats why many of us used. I guess you cant shine as hard and as bright as you did without having a dark side. We all have our dark side. Suicide is never the answer and I may get some shit for this but I dont care. There are many, many people in and out of recovery that also suffer from depression, bi-polar and many other mental conditions and many of them give up. We cant afford to give up and we cant forgive suicide. Do we forgive relapse? We understand it and we accept it as a part of someones journey sometimes but it is never forgivable. Suicide is relapse times infinity. You can recover from a relapse. You cant from suicide. We miss you and many of us can understand why you did what you did and we are very sad. You are no longer suffering but many still here suffer your loss. I dont proclaim to know the answer to this. Its not up to me or anyone else to judge and maybe we can learn from this tragedy. You taught us how to laugh thru adversity and now we are learning how to cry. We cry for you. We cry for your family. We cry against the disease of addiction and depression. We cry for those who still suffer but I say we yell. We scream. We need to tell others that you dont have to suffer. You also dont have to die. Mr Williams, Robin if I may be so bold, we miss you. We miss you because we are selfish and didnt want you to leave. You felt that you had to go and you didnt. You felt there was no other way and there was. We cant give up. We can never give up. We suffer thru what we suffer thru and we grow and while we grow we teach others how to grow and get thru. Death was your answer and it was a terribly wrong answer. I weep as I write this. Among the many people I have seen pass because of addiction and depression your death is one of the hardest to take. Brilliance like yours does not come along often. Sadly sometimes brilliance is not enough and we do want you to know that we understand you. We do, and you felt you were a burden on others. You werent because we did understand you. We understand why you left us too but we dont have to like it one bit. We accept an unacceptable act because we do understand. I am not an uncompassionate man but we cant accept suicide as an answer. It sends the wrong message. We are about life in recovery. We need to learn from this. We need to remember Robin Williams for what he gave freely to us. We also need to remember when and why he left us and perhaps use this to give the gift of recovery and life to others who seek it. Goodbye Mr Williams, you will be very sadly missed.

    • LB

      “…and now we are learning how to cry.” More than I ever thought possible this week. And that’s okay. Beautiful piece; thank you.

  • Austexgrl

    I want to cry… again.. for the loss of Robin Williams.. not just the funniest man.. but the kindest, gentlest man…

  • Dale Husar

    Thank you Norm.

  • http://mayramm.com/ MayraMM

    Wow

  • kaycee

    A GREAT MAN ROBIN WILLIAMS, HIS DEATH TOOK AWAY A LOT OF MY FOND, HAPPY,CHILDISH MEMORIES. RIP GREAT GUY IN THE BOSSOM OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST

  • James D. Adam Broxson

    I am unapologetic; this story shows a largely selfish man at work…in my humble opinion.

    • SALLYFARRAR

      It can seem that way until you consider the enormity of his pain. It was obviously unendurable.

  • Veg Nik

    If you or anyone you know is suicidal, depressed, bipolar, anxious, or curious about any of those and how to help, please take a look at
    http://www.tikkun.org/tikkundaily/2013/10/22/suicide/

  • The Invisible Seductress

    Robin Williams lived his life by serenading the world with laughter, even when his mind was dark. Some people are so brilliant that they can so easily hide the pain by seeing and contributing to the happiness of others. I still feel crushed by this news. I can not let my mind use the imagery of his suicide (as I believe they described so painfully clear) to be what I think of when his name is mentioned. I have 100s of other incredibly amazing pictures/videos/stand up sets in my mind of him doing what he did so wonderfully, making people laugh so hard they snort. I think of a scene in the movie “Jack” where his character is just begging to be “regular”, in the scene Bill Cosby plays with him:
    Lawrence Woodruff: You were a shooting star amongst ordinary stars. Have you ever seen a shooting star, Jack?

    Jack: No.

    Lawrence Woodruff: It’s wonderful. It passes quickly, but while it’s here it just lights up the whole sky – it’s the most beautiful thing you’d ever want to see. So beautiful that the other stars stop and watch. You almost never see one.

    Jack: Why not?

    Lawrence Woodruff: Beacuse they’re very rare. Quite rare. But I saw one. I did.

    Jack: I just want to be a regular star.

    Lawrence Woodruff: Jack, you’ll never be regular. You’re spectacular.

  • Juan Pablo Noroña

    Damn, the man still makes us feel better, just by thinking of him. If that´s not true power…

  • Cdan216

    and they i remember i had some bologna. which my day complete.

  • Karyn Fosse

    Nice job Norm. Often the funniest hide the most pain. I suffer from depression, bi polar and alcoholism. It’s no joke. We have to help each other. Robin saw no way out and it’s such a huge loss for us all. May his passing open dialogue about depression. You cannot simply snap out of it. Call someone, reach out for help……It is deadly and serious. RIP SIR.

  • Aleric

    And that’s why Norm is a class act.

  • Debbie Nelson

    That was a wonderful comment from Norm. Robin Williams was such a nice man. I met him at a bar next to the starlight theater in Kansas City. He was dressed up with his suspenders and he got on stage and did his comedy act for the people in the bar,just after doing a show. He walked by my table with my new husband and I asked him for an autograph and he said he did not have time to give me an autograph and he pulled me up off my chair and kissed me on the lips. I said darn now people wont believe I seen you because I cant prove you kissed me. He laughed and I could prove it because my new husband was so jealous he told everyone about the kiss. lol. Thank you
    Robin Williams. R.I.P.

  • http://www.facebook.com/cam.pety Camille

    What a beautiful nugget of insight…thank you, Mr MacDonald for sharing this!! i’m a little verklempt, he was such a lovely man, wanted to make you laugh to ease your terror, what a lovely human being #RIPRobinWilliams

  • Morgen R’acz

    I don’t know why but all I can think about is Man’s Road by America. A very beautiful song.

  • Deb Scott

    that made me cry

  • Kris

    Too bad…

  • Ayiti Nirvana

    Now that the voices are quiet and the weight of the world is no longer on your shoulders, may your soul soar with the peace and freedom it deserves. O Captain, My Captain….God Speed!

  • tbw27

    its too bad….he was a genius…he also had demons, Sometimes we think people have everything, but in reality they have nothing if they are not happy…he had a beautiful daughter…its too bad

  • Mary Jones

    i grew up with Robin Williams suffering with Mental illness i really understand how he felt i cried when i heard off his passing i am still sad i am going to miss him so much he brought so many happiness to so many RIP Robin Williams

  • skittles

    Norm Macdonald is very UNDER rated.

  • Bruce May

    Like millions of others, I am just devastated by the death of Robin Williams. I knew of his depression and addictions, but felt that he had the strength, love and support to continue fighting these demons. Along with many of you, I battle depression every day and sometimes the hardest part is trying to have those close to you understand what you are dealing with. It is a disease. Period. If the death of Robin Williams means anything to us, perhaps now we can have that conversation on depression. Death and Resurrection. May you rest in peace now. And thank you for the gift you shared with us.

  • Jill Satterwhite

    Thanks for sharing Norm

  • colbertfan

    LOVE Norm McDonald, but never than after reading that. The best comics can make you laugh AND move you. Norm is on that list for me

  • anthony84

    that was amazing! thank you Norm for sharing that i need a good laugh today, Thank you Robin for always making me laugh! you will be greatly missed! RIP Robin Williams

  • c.c

    Awww….R.I.P Robin, you touched so many lives.

  • RuralStupidity

    Wow!

  • Huey Johnston

    The man gave so much to others over the years that the well finally ran dry and he had nothing left for himself… I hope he finds peace.

  • Barbara Corry

    What an amazing and wonderful memory to have of Robin. I am so sad at his loss, but I do hope he is at peace now.

  • Juanita Harris

    It’s rare when a celebrity death can make you cry, seeing as most of us never have any personal relation with this person. But like Maya said, “people will forget what you do, but will never forget the way you make them feel’ (badly quoted, but I think you get it). When someone makes you laugh/cry until you can’t breathe over a 30 year time span it is a miraculous thing. He always made me laugh, and it was always the perfect medicine. Thank you, kind sir for making me feel good…

  • Mary O’Toole

    To Mr. Williams family:
    Tho words can’t ease your sorrow,
    Hearts can share your pain.
    RIP a beautiful soul.

  • http://www.kathleenchristinasmith.com Kat (writingkat)

    Wow.

  • Andrew

    He made more people happy than all the rest of us combined ever will. That’s what I call a life well-spent.

  • PBrown

    Perfect!

  • eclipse42

    Robin Williams brought laughter and peace to to the world. It didn’t matter the audience, he would reach the heart and mind of whomever was there. His presence among us will be remembered for the ages of humanity. Thank you my friend, never met him, but it felt like he knew me.

  • lela

    I too suffer from depression and it is very lonely and very sad. Sometimes you do feel like your in a black hole sinking. People around me that I know love me often don’t know what to say. They say things like what do you have to depressed about or what are you crying about now or they just avoid me, because they don’t know what to do or say but it still makes me feel guilty and like I should be able to just stop and I can’t. I’m just sorry that Robin Williams felt this way. He always came across as being so happy.

    • colbertfan

      Ditto. And tho they love me, they run out of patience and leave, which is understandable. But that leaves me all alone, which I know is dangerous, but appears to be my fate. Praying I don’t end up like Robin, but we all might be better off if I do.

  • MamaSchmuck

    Norm…thank you so much for the beautiful picture of who Robin was to the world. We may not all be “the funniest man in the world” or have his talent; however, we do have something in common with him: the capacity to step outside ourselves and give hope and encouragement to those in need. He set the bar high in that department-I say we pick up the torch, stand up and fight against the REAL zombie apocalypse of our time: depression.

  • Brienne of fucking Tarth

    18 tweets is hardly “just a few”.

    • Another bitter cynic

      You are hardly from The Narrow Sea.

  • paulwt

    You left out the last line.

  • Kevin

    Robin had so much talent. Interviewers never stood a chance with him. In most cases he took over the interview and left the interviewer no chance to ask half the questions they wanted to. Heaven is going to be a much better place with him there. Will miss him so much.

  • Skegeeaces

    Ahhhhhhhh! I just finally stopped crying and now THIS! ::Sob sob::

  • Dave

    Spot on!!

  • bigballerboss

    my heart felt sorry to all stricken by his passing and afflicted by this horrid disease. i’ve witnessed a lifetime of it, in a certain close family member…i’ve experienced some intense episodes myself, and am blessed they are only situational and controllable….so i believe i know both sides, and have embraced therapy when needed and studied the disease, as a result. so i believe this therapy works best, and as an ex-pro athlete…..an Intense daily exercise regiment and a super-healthy diet is the best medicine, i’ve found….everyone’s chemistry being different, of course…but if u study healthy life balance and apply it, it definitely helps….peace be with u all!!!

  • Maureen Bossio

    It was a great afternoon in 1981 when my girlfriend and I went to see a movie set shooting in our hometown of Eastchester. My friend and I were walking and suddenly my girlfriend received a slap on the arsce and the words “could you paint those pants on any tighter?” cam out and we turned around and it was Robin Williams and we laughed all night. And we are still to this day thinking of that moment. Thank you Robin Williams. Oh, the Movie was “The World According to Garp”….. It had some of my HS wrestling team members in the movie and what a great memory….

  • Diane

    So missed….and so tragic that he couldn’t find the same Joy he gave to so many others…..

  • Andy Morgan

    Fantastic.

  • patricktalley

    storyteller extraordinaire was robin Williams (and norm McDonald tells a heckuva story here as well)….Parry in the Terry Gilliam film THE FISHER KING is a role of a lifetime and played to perfection (not a word I often use unless I’m talking about my mom’s bread pudding) and Robin Williams as the mime instructor in Bobcat’s SHAKES THE CLOWN…this is the stuff of genius… http://storiesetc.com/r-p-maestro-mayhem-robin-williams-funniest-mime-instructor-anybody-ever-saw-bobcat-goldthwaits-brillant-comedy-shakes-clown/

  • nedbrady

    I’m fuckin depressed listening to all of you idiots bollicking on about zilch. If you’re gonna do it, do it, if not you don’t have no problems, just go get a life and earn some bread maan

  • Jakesjoy

    Depression, for 18 years now, it is crippling I must admit, it started when I was married over finances, then a breakdown and hospitalized for a month. The memories of the hospital gave me fear and then I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar…Wrong. Then the battle of many medications being tried like a guinea pig, especially the newest on the market. We’ll try this one and that one and a mood stabilizer!!, No blood work though, until I was a zombie, sitting in a chair, not conversing, not leaving the house, not driving, and the sleeping, it was all the time. My children were only 4 and 7 when he left for someone 13 years younger, and then the fear of him taking my utmost joy, my Boys. Finally after 18 years, I had a new psychiatrist, she pulled me off of everything!!! She started over, with tried and true medications from so many years ago…these last 3 years of my life, I’m alive again, funny, full of life, enjoying my life, kids in their 20′s, their friends, my friends, I’m brand new! I did receive disability, and I did deserve it from suffering so many years. Now I hope to start a baking business, just a little one and planting my flowers outside. All that I had and worked for is gone, Our beautiful home sits next door to where I live, my 14 ft Christmas tree, I never have that again, and the beautiful rooms an d furniture for a home built by me and my ex husband together. What I do have…is my LIFE! MY SONS! Life is Great Once Again! Robin, still today, I cry for you, you brought me so much joy, Rest in God’d Peace my friend.

    • PJ

      Good luck starting your business and I’m glad that things have turned around for you. I’m on a cocktail of meds, and while it keeps me stable, I never really feel GOOD. But I’m afraid to mess with the cocktail because feeling “okayish” is preferable to how I feel when my meds are all out of whack.

  • Alex Pearl

    Wonderful.

  • Man Alive
    • dms1813

      MRA troll.

      • Man Alive

        Let’s get that acronym rolling -it’s Men’s Rights Advocate.
        Or if you’re really up with the play these days Men’s Human Rights Advocate.

        • dms1813

          Whatever you call it, I hope you understand I meant it as a condescending insult. Whether you call them MRA’s, or Nice Guys(TM), or what have you, it’s simply a label for men who blame society rather than themselves for their own failures.

          For thousands of years, we men had better lives than women because we wrote all the rules and held all the weapons that enforce those rules. Now that the playing field is at least a bit closer to level, some guys are finding that they’re actually not particularly competitive – or desirable – when the rules are fair. That may be a hard adjustment, but it certainly won’t be made by trying to either go back in time or somehow organize a philosophical protest against the movement towards gender equity.

          I think all the guys like you have a simple choice at this point. Evolve or die.

          • Man Alive

            I got the insult first time. No need to explain.
            Insults are all that feminists seem to be able to do these days.
            I evolved the day I left feminism behind.

            http://www.angryharry.com/eswerewomenoppressedinthewest.htm??note

          • Man Alive

            Insults eh? Oh well, stick n stones and all that……..
            par for the course for someone who believes in patriarchy theory.
            Blimey, talk about stuck in a time warp!
            I evolved the moment I kicked feminism into the curb. About 20 years ago. Apparently I haven’t died, but rather I’m thriving.

          • Man Alive

            I’ve evolved beyond 1980s feminist patriarchy theory, and I’m thriving thanks.

  • Auntiebye

    I so wish Robin Williams could have read/listened to all of the people he has helped or made laugh or helped them out of their depressions…the changes in their lives, do you think that it would have made some kind of difference and maybe he wouldn’t have ended his life? I always wonder why their children/families have to be put thru this terrible happening? Losing a loved one that way just has to be so terrible, sad and now they have to endure their loss and have to try and survive. All so sad. RIP

    • Helena Halikias

      I keep thinking the same thing! It’s sad people have to die for us to give them the praise and appreciation they deserved in life. Wonder if any of this would have helped.

  • TCorpses

    Unbelievable tribute.Norm himself being another of my all time favorites.

  • J Denise Graham

    HE AMAZED ME FOR OVER 35 YEARS. I WILL MISS HIS WIT AND HIS OFF THE WALL HUMOR. THANKS YOU FOR SHARING NORM. WE LOVED YOU ROBIN WILLIAMS. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS FOR HIS FAMILY.

  • politicaljules

    It would have been much more meaningful without the F-bomb.

    • villemar

      Your comment is infinitely more sad and thoughtless that could ever come out of a single neuron of Robin Williams, Norm Macdonald, David Letterman, Chez Pazienza, Christopher Strong (ie. me), or pretty much anyone even tangentially involved with this story or this article. I truly feel sorry for you.

    • Zeroed Out

      The “f-bomb”? Words are just words. Grow up.

  • Sarcastic Bimbo

    I was on Twitter and read this as it was tweeted. What a wonderful experience to with us all. Thank you so much, Norm. I’m no stand-up comic, and I never was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Williams, but, I feel just as alone as you do right now.

  • Greg Haza

    Very well done!

  • dood_49

    Thanks, Norm. I knew that humanity I see in the twinkle in your eye would come out in a profound way ~

  • clarkwgriswold

    Nanoose nanoose.

    • badgerstate

      Rude and uncalled for. If you can’t say something respectful, say nothing at all.

    • REMONSTER

      Yup, fer sure one comment “clarkwgriswold” yer going to hell. You’ve earned it.

    • brie02

      whats that mean

    • johanneslabusch

      Asshole asshole.

  • BWrangler

    To borrow from another late great, Smokey Robinson:

    Now if there’s a smile on my face
    It’s only there trying to fool the public
    But when it comes down to fooling you
    Now honey that’s quite a different subject

    But don’t let my glad expression
    Give you the wrong impression
    Really I’m sad, oh sadder than sad
    You’re gone and I’m hurting so bad
    Like a clown I pretend to be glad

    Now there’s some sad things known to man
    But ain’t too much sadder than
    the tears of a clown
    When there’s no one around…….

    • Larry Thedishguy Blake

      Agreed, although Smokey’s still alive.

      • BWrangler

        I just got him mixed up with Marvin Gaye. I’m sure Mr. Williams would have something awesome to say about that.

  • JaxMom311

    I know you have to be careful what you wish for. .. But I so wish I could deal with physical pain and not this ungodly disease of depression. It just consumes your entire life, every moment of every day. #RIPRobinWilliams

  • Its Obvious

    The one Robin Williams movie that always made me stop and think was Moscow on the Hudson when he dialogues about misery. It always seemed like he was channeling the definition of misery to me. Like his reference point was the deepest of anyone’s…..it actually bothered me to some degree. Why did his perception of misery seem so perfect? Alas..it looks like because he was always in pain & misery and trying to self medicate with humor.

  • Carrol Ryan

    He was perfection, he was a million people, he was alone..we will all miss Robin .

  • Kim Williams

    I’ve never mourned a celebrity, never understood how people get so worked up, even crying hysterically, when a complete stranger dies.

    Until now.

  • Tom Flores

    Man goes to doctor. Says he’s depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel.
    Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, “Treatment
    is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him.
    That should pick you up.” Man bursts into tears. Says, “But doctor… I
    am Pagliacci.

    RIP Mr. Williams.

    • Zeroed Out

      Thanks, Rorshach. Good to know that you can copy and paste.

  • Saffy D

    Normally I do not like Norm, but in this case he did a good job of showing the kind of person robin was to people. That was nice.

  • Erica McKenna

    I cannot even fathom having to try to perform standup comedy on national television directly after Robin Williams. I applaud Norm for his ability to even walk out on stage without blacking out and/or pissing his pants. Not enough Xanax in the world.

  • Deborah Dietz

    I always thought Norm was a no talent dip… but he did himself proud on this rare occasion.

    • timbo59

      A lot of people just don’t ‘get’ Norm – he’s very very dry. It either appeals to you or it doesn’t, there’s not much in-between with the guy. My wife and I think he’s hilarious and really miss his presence on TV.

  • Curtis

    I can’t believe the sadness that I still feel over the tragic loss of Robin Williams. I say that because I have never met him. I’ve had friends that have had by all accounts the wonderful opportunity to meet and work with the man. To a person they have wonderful stories that I greedily listen up to and secretly wish they were my own. Still this sadness should have disappeared by now, shouldn’t it? Then I realized, Robin was a friend of mine. His performances gave me that… a friendship. We never met each other but thank you Robin for giving me that feeling. RIP

  • Jennifer Gallagher

    Aww

  • Janey Siegrist

    If only someone, if only something, if only some way,… Robin, you’re free. The Genie is out of his prison, in his time, in his way. Namaste soul sibling, till We all become one again.

  • gbw

    Da Dorq, well said. But I do not believe he had “no inside”. I believe that he tried so hard to please others he could not please himself, there was nothing left. Everyone is saying he was kind and generous. Frequently, people this passionate simply care and give too much. They do not reach out to people for help because they are the helper, not the one who needs help. They do not want to burden other people. Then they convince themselves they may be the burden. They cannot forgive their own soul for mistakes, even if others will. It is so sad to be in dire need of help, surrounded by people and have no one to call and no will to let the wave of depression pass. I am overwhelmed by the sadness I feel for his family. I am overwhelmed with sadness that this amazing man put a belt around his neck thinking he was alone. I am devastated he thought his family would be better off without him. I hope his peace is lovely because he is no longer suffering in this dark hole. It is hell. Every. Day. The difference between him and many of people is that he was paid to pretend to be happy.

    • Jenb64

      I have battled depression since I was very young (5 or 6 maybe?) and your description of the feelings of depression are as spot on as I have ever read. I have always had an extreme sense of empathy and it is painful at times. I have learned over the years to step back and not let myself read too much or get too involved in other’s dilemmas because of the cost to my own well being. Robin gave the world everything that he had. He seemed to be a quiet and gentle soul when he wasn’t being his over-the-top zany comic self. Such a selfless man that gave everyone everything that he had to give. Just wish he had been able to give himself the kindness and love that he showed to everyone else. RIP Robin and thank you for sharing yourself with all of us.

  • Eliza K Robertson

    He was all of that. He was boundless when he was up. He had a brain several sizes bigger than most people along with an awkward charm, that outshines even Mr. Clintons. I am proud he was from here and Michigan too and sad to see the “noonday demon” eat such a human.

  • Paul

    I am reading the comments, and they are as touching as Norm’s tweets. I can only add that I think we all associate ourselves as having a connection to Robin Williams as his acting/antics were somewhere we all once were, are, and where we want to be. I never did try to become a teacher but yet in my soul, that is the kind of teacher I would have wanted to be. I never did it, but for those very few hours I watch Dead Poets Society, I imagine myself as one. It would be difficult to remember a character that hit me so.
    Thanks for everyone sharing and keeping it classy.
    YAWP!

  • Ray1950

    My God, that is beyond belief. What a tribute!

  • PJ

    I’m trying to decide whether to laugh hysterically or cry hysterically. I’m just feeling sort of blank, because my brain can’t decide what to do. (Though after I said that, I started smiling a sad half smile with wet eyes…)

    This was a beautiful tribute. Captures his beautiful absurdity/zaniness so well. What a f***ing loss this is–what a sad hole this leaves in our world.

  • John Boyd

    Thank you, Norm.

  • Richard T Bear

    Upstairs where forbidden Broadway was playing on W 72nd St . When every one went home it became a after hours club scene. It was after the Night of a 100 stars at Radio city music hall earlier. I’m playing the piano following his shtick. Robin is on stage he say’s looking around the room which is filled with Elizabeth Taylor Al Pacino Robert De Niro and many many more famous and infamous. If they dropped a bomb on this place Pia Zadora would have a career…. More to follow between tears.

  • Shane Von Russell

    Norm is the man, very poignant.

  • Jim Spear

    Norm your comments are the best I have seen regarding this shock to our reality.

  • Bonnie Walker

    Thank You…this was so funny, slightly quirky, just like Robin.
    He will certainly be missed by all of us who enjoy a great deep belly laugh….no one was better at that!

  • RCPoland

    I just feel so at a loss….for words, for humor, for solace. I wish I could tell him how much I enjoyed his movies; his stand-up; his existence. The world has lost a brilliant, shining light, and is that much darker as a result. Rest in peace, Mr. Williams.

  • Tom Hudson

    A lot of people have been wondering aloud what it is about Robin Williams, more than the passing of other celebrities, that seems to have collectively affected us so deeply–not many of us can claim to have KNOWN him, although, many of the deepest tributes are from those that did. But for each of us, individually, how is it that it seems like we’ve lost someone we feel like we’ve encountered personally (and even intimately)? Because through decades of watching his antics, we’ve all let him into the furthest recesses of our hearts, all of us. Because he couldn’t help but shine a bright light into any dark place his presence encountered. With the extinguishing of that light, all of our worlds are unequivocally and irrevocably dimmer.

    • Linda C Hillman Nattress

      Tom Hudson, that was very well said! And oh so true! He will definitely be greatly missed by all! He was a gentle, funny soul, that brought laughter, happiness, and love to the world.

    • Melinda Kabat

      I wish I had known him, but still he was my childhood “husband.” Growing up in the 70′s with the name Mindy, I was harassed big time at school when that show came out. “Mindy where is your husband Mork?” I’d tell them “He’s hot and funny, he can be my husband any day!” Throughout my adult life I’ve always dated the comedian types. Every single one had alcohol/substance abuse issues along with depression or other psychological issues. Many of them had to be “on” at all times, which gets old after a while, when everything is a joke, when nothing can be taken seriously. Now I’m not saying that’s the case with Robin, but we know he had substance abuse problems & depression. It seems to be a common thread with artistic types. But the pain that they feel is why we have such great art, and comedy is definitely an art.

  • slideguy

    Thank you, Norm MacDonald.

  • Sue O’Donnell

    What a great and fabulous memory, Norm!!

  • Aurora

    My heart broke again reading that last post. Rest in peace, my Captain

  • BigBrother Olé-Biscuitbarrel

    Bravo…

  • Telecat

    Weeping…

    • Jera

      ditto

    • http://www.gluten.net/localbranches Sybil Nassau

      This nearly 75 year old great grandmother is weeping again for the comedic genius we will never see again, for the consummate actor in every movie he made, for the human spirit he brought to every performance. Every single post in this sequence tonight is beautiful and heartfelt. Robin Williams IS us. He will be missed and may he rest in peace, free of the demons that plagued him.

  • http://codersnook.com/ David McMonigle

    How many people wish they had been walking by yesterday morning and saw him about to do it in the window… just to stop him and talk a while?

    • Terry L Lund

      More than anything. I wish he could see what an impact he had on so many lives. Its too bad that, sometimes it takes losing someone for everyone to say how important they were. See you in Neverland, Pan the Man.

    • verafish

      I actually wondered how many of us – complete strangers to Robin Williams – are thinking today, “I wish he would’ve called me. I would’ve have told him how much the world loves him.”

      • Jess Horsefire

        So true. I keep wishing I could have been there for him, that I could’ve helped him somehow. I’ve felt genuine grief over some celebrity deaths, but never have I cried and cried. Guess he really touched something in a lot of us.

  • Simon Green

    Thank you Norm, thank you.

    There’s been a great disturbance in the force, as if billions of voices cried out in grief…

    Robin, you will always be remembered. R. I. P. The world will never be the same.

  • jilly_63

    Lovely and touching. I think there’s an extra burden that someone like Robin Williams had–someone rich, famous, and so successful. So often when a celebrity complains about anything or admits to feelings of sadness or anxiety or dissatisfaction in any form, many react with vitriol, an attitude of “How dare you complain about anything–look at all you have?” I wonder if that doesn’t add to the guilt and shame that may already exist, and make someone in that position all the more hesitant about trying to get help. I hope people begin to realize that depression can be completely separate from one’s life circumstances, and that more people can feel compassion and understanding for anyone who’s in so much pain.

    • http://vivs1984.wordpress.com/ ThatGirl

      That is so true. Even regular people, when we try to confide in someone that we are feeling depressed, find that others try to use all the good in our lives as a way of making it better, not realizing that only makes us feel worse, that we have these blessings or responsibilities, and are somehow failing. It makes so many of us retreat further into ourselves, into the depression, because no one understands, and it has to be because something is wrong with us, and thus the cycle continues to eat away at our minds and hearts, until that moment when death really is a viable option, and thinking on those blessings and responsibilities is no longer enough to keep us fighting, but it seems like it would be the more responsible move to go ahead and leave them, because, face it, what good is a broken person? I hate it, and I hate knowing that, even on the days I’m fine, it’s still there, just waiting on the next opportunity to drag me down. It sucks.

      • jilly_63

        I guess it’s because people often don’t know what to say, even if they truly do want to help. Perhaps this very sad event will at least shed more light on the realities of this disease. It’s my sincere hope that you have many more fine days than dark ones, and that you keep sight of the fact that everyone has their broken parts, but that doesn’t diminish their importance to other people. Not does it mean they don’t deserve to be loved. Best wishes to you!

  • A.c. Quinn

    To the Mighty Pan, see you in Neverland

  • sammy

    I never knew Robin Williams personally but i always wish i did. He was the funniest man alive and i know he loved making people laugh. I guess seeing others laugh made him feel good even though we didn’t know what was happening within. May he RIP and i do hope he would no longer be depressed. I know it’s not good to run away from your problems but we don’t know what is going on with that person or how to help. :( Robin to the world you will forever be one of the greatest actors to have ever graced to big screen and i do wish all the best on your new journey. (Some say death is but the next best journey)

  • the great master

    This is genius….I only wish I got it.

  • Danny Rose

    :(

  • ftidus12

    Rest well, Mr. Williams.

  • John DeGraffenreid Jr.

    Well said sir and many condolences to the friends and family of the funniest man alive.

  • Adam Chaney

    That was awesome. Well done.

  • MissNovemberTuesday

    And JUST LIKE THAT, two words rip your heart right out of your chest.

  • Greg Tyminski

    Well said Norm! You are now one of the funniest men left.

  • Lance Speroni

    I never knew that a celebrity death could affect me so much, even as I am writing this my eyes are filled with tears for man that I never knew but felt as if he was my best friend. I recently was with my friends and talking about some of our favorite movies from when we were kids, I realized that most of these movies Robin Williams had starred in, from Hook to Aladdin to Jumangi and Flubber this man was as involved in my childhood as Super Mario and Sonic The Hedgehog. With his passing a piece of my childhood died. He was one of the best actors of all time and his movies matured as I did. As an adult he did Insomnia, a movie in which he should have won best actor. He seemed so genuine and honest and I will miss him very much.

    “Boys, you must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Don’t be resigned to that. Break out!” – Robin Williams – Dead Poets Society

    • Carla Beaton

      I agree, I grew up to his laughter, as a child heck I could almost say the show MORK AND MINDY ” WAS M BABY SITTER. LIKE FAMILY . IM HEART BROKEN AND ALSO BEING AND RECOVERING ADDICT WITH DEPPRESION. I KNOW THE THE LONLYNESS ,PAIN AND SELF HATTRED ALL TO WELL TAKES EVERY DAY OF FINDING HOPE AND REASON TO STAY FOCUSED AND STAY OUT OF THE DARKNESS,,

    • Nick Watkins

      Lance I totally agree. I have never felt this sad for the passing of someone whom I have never met. It makes me want to cry but to also cherish the days that the depression doesn’t overtake me.

      • Tracey D.

        To understand the demons that probably tortured Robin Williams can be summed up in a quote that he said himself ” The only thing worse than being alone is surrounding yourself with people who make you feel alone” RIP Robin Williams. .. you will be truely missed.

  • Aaron M. Litz

    Humor is the human way of dealing with being uncomfortable, a defense mechanism for grasping the unpleasant things in life and wrestling them into a form that we can deal with, releasing tension in the form of laughter. The funniest people in the world are also the most uncomfortable and unhappy inside.

    Norm’s story was beautiful.

  • Mary Frank Cogbill

    Having been hospitalized twice for depression I know that there is no cure only temporary relief. I now refer to it as the arthritis of my soul and am thankful for every day that it does not rear its head. R.I.P. dearly loved Robin Williams.

    • Chelsea Keesler

      Mary, I just want you to know that’s one of the best descriptions of depression I’ve ever read. So many people still don’t understand what it means to be depressed, and “arthritis of the soul” explains so much. It never really goes away, it’s physically painful and exhausting, it’s often invisible, and it’s not the fault of the person who has it. Thank you for that. I hope you’re doing well.

    • jenn

      Take care of you, Mary. <3

    • Denise Andersen

      Perfectly said Mary… You and I are sisters in this, with many, many others… I do everything I can every day to stay “healthy”.. eat correctly, exercise, work on “mindfulness”, and I have relationship with the Lord… and although I am worlds away from where I once was, there is still pain… and there are days of very low function… but I too am thankful for every day I see the sun rise and set.. it is certainlty a journey…

    • Fred Masic

      Been hospitalized myself, I do like the arthritis of the soul. Personally I say on bad days if you could get one minute of relief you would drive a nail through your own head. To have a moments peace you would peel your own skin off.. and sadly some of us have tried. To me it is a cancer, like other diseases of its kind it has to be fought everyday. Some days you win and some days you lose, but everyday there is hope. I will not condemn Robin Williams for his actions; when you have traveled that road before you know that it can always be the last road taken.

    • Janey Siegrist

      You said what many of us can’t voice Namaste

    • John

      Y’know, on a similar note the folks who don’t understand depression will say stuff like “guess you had a bad day, huh?” I can’t really blame them since they don’t understand but I’ve tried to explain it to people and couldn’t really wrap my head around a good metaphor. I think your metaphor was a good one. It flares up every once in a while but there are ways you can manage it if you try. Hopefully I’m not only speaking for myself on that last sentence.

    • athanorhiphop

      Sorry to not agree with this. And don’t feel hurted or offended by it. Actually, that’s one of the reasons used by depression to build up. To feel hurted. To feel that everything is wrong with me. To feel that others don’t understand me. Me. Me always. Suffering emotionally and mentally then becomes a habit. You are not your depression. But when you say it’s the arthritis of my soul, you are feeding it. There’s an ancient teaching that says “I have the right not to be negative”. Why one believes all his negative thoughts and feelings? those are not “me”. Can on see that? You can identify with them and allow them to dry your energy or not. It takes time. But can be done. One is not born with depression, hence depression is not an essential part of you, no matter for how long you’ve been suffering it. But do not fight depression with other negative or violent feelings, this only feeds it. Try to observe yourselve impartially, to have a sensation of yourself, as you were observing someone that is not you. It takes time, and patience, but it can be done. Can you feel your feet while walking? reconnect again with your body, you’ve forgotten you have a body. With time, and if your efforts are sincere, you will see that depression was only imagination, and you will be free and live a more conscious live. I pray for you all to achieve that, it can be done. You need to believe even a part of you doesn’t want to because is too confortable living in depression.

      • trinity

        I appreciate where you’re coming from, but depression is not only imagination. What you describe are some coping strategies that people should have when dealing with depression. She’s not saying she wallows in it. She’s saying it comes back. Again. And again. You do your best to cope with it each time, but sometimes it is nothing that you’ve done that gets you in that place. When you get there, you need to try and fight to get out. That’s what I think most of us who have dealt with depression try to do.

      • trinity

        I appreciate where you’re coming from, but depression is not only imagination. What you describe are some coping strategies that people should have when dealing with depression. She’s not saying she wallows in it. She’s saying it comes back. Again. And again. You do your best to cope with it each time, but sometimes it is nothing that you’ve done that gets you in that place. When you get there, you need to try and fight to get out. That’s what I think most of us who have dealt with depression try to do.

  • truthtim

    Beautiful!

  • Patrick Shaffer

    that hit me. right in the feels. I wish this day wasn’t here.

  • unknwn_answr

    Thanks for blurring my vision.

  • http://www.aterriblehusband.com/about/ A Terrible Husband

    Wow. Amazing.

  • theabroma

    William’s death has hit me with unexpected fury. This just knocked me down – and almost out. Again.

  • mel_in_np

    me too, I’m find myself crying every time I think of it…he made me laugh thousands and thousands of times…

  • stromm

    Norm. You are no longer alone in that room with the funnies man alive.

    Thank you for including us, even though I’m now crying.

  • Doug Long

    Wow, amazing – thank-you for this most, most wonderful tribute, I’m sure that all of Robin’s fans will love this and I hope that they will all have a chance to read this. Well done indeed!

  • Quack!

    That was beautiful.

  • Doug Kennedy

    Amazing, in a world with so much chaos it only makes sense he wanted out so soon.

    • u_go_guys

      Christopher Reeve and RW had been roommates together at Juilliard. Reeve related a story about how RW had entertained him when he was in the hospital after his accident. Later Reeve said of his life-long friend:
      “For the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay.”

      I hope this wasn’t Robin’s way of telling us that we no longer have any chance of being okay.

      • Tabitha Bragdon

        I think that maybe on some level this may have been his way of letting us know that HE’S finally okay. That he’s no longer in pain, and that we’ll be okay with the memories of him.

  • Dean Wood

    His comic genius resonated with so many… I saw him once (Comic Relief), & met him once (chauff’ing a limo). Both were moments of absolute gold.

    Like Norm, even that short time with him was so genuinely precious (at one point, he suggested we switch seats ; ^ ) …His unbridled, rapid-fire delivery could have an entire auditorium in stitches, and likewise as an audience of one, I never felt so appreciative to have that singular moment that only he and I shared.

    • Linda C Hillman Nattress

      Wow, Dean Wood, you are indeed a very lucky person to have had that great privilege! I would have loved to meet him, even in a crowd, I would have been happy. He was such a wonderful person, a great comedian, and a superb actor. He will be greatly missed by all!

  • D_C_Wilson

    Great story. Being put at ease by a veteran like Robin Williams obviously made a big impression on him.

  • Diana Dee

    The real RW was quiet and serene. But, the public knew about his characters and jokes. It was his shield to guard against his true inner-self.

  • http://dadorq.tumblr.com/ Da Dorq

    I’ve heard it said that Robin Williams was all surface, that he had no inside, I guess because the “real” Williams was always supposedly hidden behind Jewish tailors and Chinese food order takers, but people who say these things miss the point: It’s like the wind, you don’t see it, you see its effects, like rustling leaves or clouds moving across the sky. Robin Williams was the wind; you knew him from his effects: Yiddish tailors and Chinese food order takers and most of all, the glorious laughter.

    • MidwestMet

      On an episode of The Simpsons, when Homer wants to get Krusty the Clown’s comedic take on a serious matter (Apu & Manjula’s separation), Marge says, “I keep telling you, off-camera, he’s a desperately unhappy man.” Many people who are funny in the company of others can be going through difficult times in private. Williams had a wife, children, and a long career in show-biz, but something was gnawing away at him.

      • butterflies974

        That “something” was depression. Not a sadness. A serious disease that is called depression. Only those that truly have it, understand it. Robin Williams will never know how many times he pulled me out of one of my “episodes” with his truly gifted antics. Just wish someone had been able to be his “Robin Williams”. RIP, Mr. Williams.

        • Linda C Hillman Nattress

          butterflies974 I agree with you! I so wish he had had his own “Robin Williams” to pull him out and keep him out! I wish you the best of luck, and always remember him, especially during the bad times. Hopefully his memory, his grace, and his love for laughter will keep you going strong!

          • Sharon Starns

            He did have his own “Robin Williams”. He was named Jonathan Winters. Once he left, maybe Robin couldn’t keep going.

        • http://twitter.com/sistersafetypin SisterSafetyPin

          This. When I found he’d killed himself yesterday I was in the midst of my own black hole. His loss, ironically brought me out and gave me the strength to keep going. He made it to 63, I hope to make it farther.

          #RIPRobin

          • OperaBoy

            I had the same experience this weekend! I struggled with my own depression Saturday before a performances. It was such a dark place that felt like a was drowning and then I went on stage and I was the clown! I moved many but I also made them laugh this weekend… then I flew home and was devastated by this news. But it also snapped me out of my dark place! RIP Pagliacci

          • kiwi

            After hearing of his passing I thought, he did it no more darkness for him. You have to have lived depression to understand. I was jealous.

          • KMM

            kiwi ~ I’m so sorry ~ I wish I could send you some of my light. Your 3 sentence comment surely made me understand depression darkness.
            Day by day ((Hugs))

          • kiwi

            Thanks :)

          • George

            The though “I’m depressed” has no power, it’s just like a cloud in the sky passing by, you can’t stop it. However, as soon as you believe it (shake hands with the ego, the mind) it can destroy you. I know it sound simplistic, but I assure you this is powerful to understand. When you think “I don’t want to live anymore”, what want to die is not your body; its a though, a story in your head. Kill it, destroy it. How? Look for the source of the thinker, who is thinking all this?, if you do this with all your heart, you will come to see that there is no such thing as the mind. There are many masters of the mind that share this knowledge. Explore it, you wont regret it.Papaji, Nisargadatta Maharaj, Adyashanti, Ramana Maharshi, etc.

          • cin3

            Eckhart Tolle ?

          • Mary Shupe

            Yes, Eckhart Tolle. His work covers this very subject. Glad you mentioned him.

          • cin3

            where Mary ?

          • Sir_Roy

            Yeah. Sure. Eckhart – who himself cut and past it from every other dime store guru out there that came before.

            Fact is, the principle is fundamentally Buddhist in origin. The real father of psychology.

            Untethered thought creates patterned emotional responses which grow to become automatic and outside of our systematic control (emotion is faster than thought after all)- which then triggers chemical response patterns in the body.

            Mind > Emotions > Physical / Chemical reactions. All related. Vicious circle.

            Watch your thoughts / interpretations, and in time, the rest will follow. But without real training, real guidance, it cannot realistically be accomplished alone. People need concrete steps and a lot of support to overcome depression. Need to work from the inside out, and not the inverse.

          • Lorraine McIntyre

            Yes, I watched E Tolle last week out of curiousity, and he was about to do suicide, majorly depressed, when suddenly he had a clarifying seeing: Who is the thinker here? Who is depressed? The witness to these thoughts brought him out of THOUGHT, to witness the dilemma taking place, and he was free.

          • Nicki Dodson

            This is ridiculous! If there is no such thing as “the mind” , how can there be masters of the mind? Not to mention, your statement is insulting to people who have depression because of chemical inbalances! This is the problem…. there are still people out there that have the ignorant thought process that you can just “out think” depression or “think positive!” and that should make it all better. Don’t be ridiculous!

          • Ako

            True. You cannot out think depression. It’s not that simple. It’s as if someone is taking control of your body and mind whatever harm you do or think to yourself just feels the right thing to do until that moment passes by that is if you are still alive.

          • George

            Hi Nicki, no, not being ridiculous. Ridiculous is actually what you’ve done. I can see there’s alot of anger in you, and that’s fine; but there’s no integrity in addressing others that way you do just because your hiding behind a computer and not talking to a person face to face. My intention was to contribute something positive that “might” help some one in this situation. And yes, I agree there is no such thing as masters of the mind, language always gets on the way of things; specially when we have angry people looking at every single word we type to try and see where to let loose their frustration (by the way, its whit and “m” imbalances not inbalances) Anyway, like it or not there are people who understand their own mental patterns and interact in life almost from a different point of consciousness. And yes, if the issue is a chemical imbalance it must be treated. My suggestion is not about out-thinking or thinking positive and mistaken one for the other , well that is actually ignorant. Call it an exercise, an experiment, a test; what else do you have to loose? you’re already putting your life on the line? just my 2 cents :)

          • catnap

            Um, that’s you’re – not your, FYI And what do you have to LOSE, not loose. You let a caged bird loose. You lose your keys. Please, if you are going to try and make an ‘intelligent’ statement, please get the grammar and proper usage of verbiage correct. And your suggestion about “thinking positive” should be positively. Good grief! And you correct others? Language gets IN the way of things, not ON the way of things. I can’t even process your point (was there a point?) because you make no sense with your poor grammar.

          • Poo

            I pray for you catnip. The guy has some valid points and you’re chalking it up to a retarded illiterate. Read the message, not just what you see.

          • Easy_to_Refute_Wingnuts

            I pray for you catnip.

            And you didn’t notice that the poster’s name is “catnap”, not “catnip”. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

          • pj

            I believe you mean “try to make”, not “try and make”.

          • Linda Masterson

            Dude, seriously? People are discussing a serious topic and you’re whining about grammar? What a douche canoe.

          • catnap

            I’m not whining. I’m saddened by the obvious declining intellect of people evidenced here. That you don’t think it makes a person sound stupid says a great deal about you as well.

          • krachance

            You are an idiot….I mean…really?!

          • catnap

            Nope – I was explaining English to someone who obviously failed 2nd grade. I guess you didn’t pass either?

          • SpeanLss

            Get a life will you. If someone is trying to express themselves, who cares if things are grammatically correct or incorrect!

          • catnap

            I do – it’s folks who DON’T care that are helping dumb down America. And if someone is trying to express themselves, they should learn ENGLISH spelling and grammar – or look like the dummy that they are.

          • Robert Harris

            If you’re going to correct someone’s spelling mistake, you should be sure that your own post isn’t filled with grammatical and spelling errors.

          • Steve

            It no different than telling an alcholic to stop at 2 drinks. Or they dont have any self control. Normally the drunk will spend every waking hour of every day trying not to drink. If he/she isnt in some sort of treatment. They might go a month feeling this way and then take a drink to not feel it anymore. It isnt about feel good or having a good time. He had both of these things going against him as many addict and alcoholics do.

          • trinity

            What (sometimes) works for me when I think, “God, I just want to die” is to remind myself, “No. I just need something to CHANGE.” If I can hang on to that for dear life, it can pull me to the other side.

          • myowndisqus

            I understand. I am there right now.

          • cin3

            For me I have difficulties with depression , but , I keep doing what I can to see the happier side of me in this life, swim, eat as healthy as I can and try to learn how to share that part to share more happiness with myself and my husband, Art

          • a friend

            Yes kiwi he permanently ended the darkness. However sadly he also ended the good times as well. Because yes even with depression there are the good times sometimes. I am sorry you suffer depression but know there is help out there. You do not suffer alone and you do not have to be alone in the darkness. As with other illnesses there are treatments and help available.

          • kiwi

            Thank you I am getting help but sometimes the darkness sneaks back in….

          • Dennis Carroll

            The light is not necessarily something we look for — we ARE the light that takes out of darkness. It is like trying to find happiness outside ourselves. We don’t have to wait for the train of happiness to arrive. We are already on it.

          • popcorn

            Keep your head up and understand that people care about you…

          • Penny

            Kiwi, although depression is horrible thing to have to live with. You really must think of the times outside of the chasm. Hang on to them with all of your might. Write them down, hang them on your wall and when things get dark, visit them. Please don’t be jealous of Robin’s passing. Be joyous that you are still here with us. There are people who care. I don’t even know you but you’ve touched me. I care. Hang in there. <3

          • kiwi

            Thanks, I am hanging in there, I have a great life and try to focus on that :-)

          • misha

            Kiwi. . I lost my husband 38 and 6 yr old son isaiah the same day in an accident. I wanted to die too for a very long time but I have other children and I could not do that to them. 6 years later and life is completely different. I still miss them of course that will never pass but I have a lot of wonderful days because of my children. .BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY because I stayed focused on Jesus. Church, my bible, prayer and knowing that he is in control no matter what.. I was also very depressed after I had two of my children.. I know how it feels but give God a chance. I really could not have made it out of my depression. .with no drugs mind u…without him. I am praying for the devil to stop messing with your household. Put on some christian music and dance and sing the devil away. I honestly had to fake it until I made it all go away… talk to God. He will help you!!!

          • ColoMom

            Please, please, please don’t hurt yourself. I too suffer from depression, a lot of mine is grief. But whatever you do don’t do what Robin did. What helps to get me by is “Suicide is a permanent end to a temporary situation” . You don’t know what tomorrow will bring. I was saddened by his suicide . All I could think of _ and still do- is if only I could have sat down & talked with him. One thing I would have told him ” You don’t have to entertain me lets just talk”. Kiwi I wish I could sit & talk to you too. But guess what, there are people around you that would just love to sit & let you talk. And even tho I know it is difficult you must reach out. Praying for you.

          • kiwi

            Thank you for the prayers, I do not hurt myself because I am a mother and cannot imagine what that would do to my family. In every thought I have had one of my chidren finds me, and I cant do that

          • ColoMom

            Part of my depression is that 2 of my siblings committed suicide. What it does to families left behind is hard to describe.. Esp. my sister’s. She was so loved by so, so many people. My kids were also very upset & tears forever. You are right about what it does to the person finding them. I hope you are on medication & have at least one person that you feel OK talking with.

          • kiwi

            I am sorry for your loss, that has to be so hard to lose a loved one that way. I am on medication but people just do not understand depression, even my mother tells me just snap out of it. She also told me “I do not know where you got that disease from I don’t have it”. The ignorance surrounding depression is frustrating, so I act like I am normal and in control, I am pretty good at it.

          • ColoMom

            OMG Kiwi, I’m so sorry for what your Mother says. Did Robin W. committing suicide have any effect on her? Hasn’t she heard that he was depressed? I wish I had an answer for that. My only suggestion is , does there happen to be a small pamphlet on Understanding Your depression. If you could find and read one. Some Medical clinics have some in their waiting rooms. If what it says is appropriate you might leave it where she could find and read it. I hope just knowing that so many people care about you helps. The only good thing from Robins death is that many people are seeking help. I hope family members of the depressed are using the incident to educate them selves. I know what you mean about hiding your depression. I still have a great smile & I am able to interact with others & often can give good advice for their problems. My problem is when no one is here I go to or stay in bed & my house reflects it. Then because my house is a mess I get more depressed. It is a vicious cycle.

          • Andrew Ching

            ColoMom, you are a valuable person. I can tell what a giving, compassionate person you are to others. What’s difficult to learn is being compassionate to yourself. That’s what I’m working on through my Depression-Grief. Thanks for your compassionate presence on this site.

          • ColoMom

            Andrew, Thank You, you made my day. What a warm & wonderful thing to say. I don’t know who you lost in your life but please remember this. It’s OK to grieve. Grieving is a normal process. Don’t beat yourself up because you aren’t dong as well as you think you should or someone else thinks you should be doing. Everyone is different, everyone grieves differently. Men & women grieve differently. So far the loss of our son hasn’t destroyed our marriage but it hasn’t been easy. BTW I’m sure you know about the 5 stages of grief ( or is it 6 now)? You don’t necessarily go thru them in order & you may repeat one or two of them more than once. I hope no one has asked you if you are “over it yet” that is about the cruelest thing anyone can say. Of course you’re not over it. You can get thru it but you’ll never ‘get over it’. A year after we lost our youngest son ( It’s easier just to say cancer but actually it was a medical error ) my husband and I attended a Grief Workshop. It did WONDERS!! I recommend it to anyone needing help dealing with the loss of a loved one. All the local ones are run by Churches but they don’t dwell on religion. Ours was at a Presbyterian Church but we had a Jewish couple in our group & they never felt uncomfortable. The first hour was speakers, all of whom had suffered loss too. The second hour we broke into small groups according to loss. We were with parents who had lost a child. We found out that no we weren’t going ‘crazy’ with some of our thoughts & what we were experiencing . 2 of the women had lost their sons 10 & 15 years previously. They both said that even that much later the workshop helped. For any atheists reading this. I don’t know if there are workshops for atheists but I honestly feel that one would have felt comfortable at our particular workshop. No one would know & if they had spoken up I doubt if it would have bothered anyone. In my case it is knowing that my son & siblings are in Heaven & I’ll see them someday that gives me comfort. Back to you Andrew, quit being so hard on yourself. I hope you are reaching out for help. Do something nice for yourself & please remember they are so many people that care about you. God Bless.

          • Andrew Ching

            ColoMom, thank you for sharing everything that you did. I lost my Mother after her 10-yr. struggle w/Alzheimer’s, the last 5 yrs. of which I was virtually alone in looking after her care after my 2 siblings had basically written her off. Her death was not without suffering when it could’ve easily been a peaceable death, free of any trauma. But the hospital she was at would not allow hospice care for her and my siblings did nothing when they could have to make it possible for her to get that hospice care. It was a coverage issue that my siblings could’ve taken care of for our Mom, but they chose not to. They weren’t even there with our Mom when she passed away. I was left by myself when she passed.
            I did seek & get spiritual grief counseling in my area soon after my Mother’s passing, as there are several places I can go to for such support. I’m probably at the “Acceptance” stage of the Grief process now, but it’s the “Forgiveness” stage that’s a complicated one for me and requires a lot of work. I still have a lot of anger at my siblings for their “unforgivable” behavior. I don’t believe I can ever forgive them for their heartless behavior.
            I’m sorry for such a long reply; I was planning on just a few lines but felt compelled to say even more. Thanks again for your words of support.

          • Dennis Carroll

            That’s what we all do — act like we are normal and in control, And then, in a sense, we are.

          • Daddy-o

            You will be alright. I am right there every day…..saying I made it through another day. His passing has inspired me to pull myself up and try harder to fight this and live on. You can do it too. Have faith!

          • Kathleen Smythe

            thank you for your wisdom and insight. My husband is a chaplain with our local police department, and he has to give death notifications. The worst are suicides, because the people left behind spend a lifetime of “would of, should of, could of” that eats at them till the day they die. Children suffer the worst. Hoping and praying all goes well with you.

          • Flogging Molly Justin Stewart

            I too suffer from depression and I want you to know that people are caring as I do care as well. I am saddened that Robin chose to take his own life.

          • DJD11

            “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary situation”
            I keep hearing that… but how temporary is it if you been dealing with it for 40 years?
            Life itself is a temporary situation.

          • Michelet Turkovich Carsrud

            I wrote this, and remain in a type of ‘awe’ for his silence he surely spent a long time choosing… http://micheletsantics.blogspot.com

          • Grace Dary

            Don’t ever, ever give up! I am living proof that you can find the light again! Keep trying & be gentle to yourself always.

          • kiwi

            I am trying and have so much to be thankful for, maybe I will stay in the light soon.

          • What would Studs say

            but if the light fades, no matter how dark you feel, remember your children and please try to remember that there a cycles and that the light will come back to you again.

          • Dennis Carroll

            And if you look down deep to find the light, and it’s not there, then you, yourself, must turn it on.

          • Mariellen Nagle

            please take care. Try has hard as you can, we don’t want to lose you. prayers and blessing for you

          • Patricia Herron Vestevich

            Kiwi you sound like such a neat person ~ I bet there are many people who appreciate all that you are (though sometimes people don’t “show” how they feel) Stay strong and be there for those children ~ So many times I have remembered these four words: This too shall pass. Blessings

          • Joey Demarco

            I feel the exact same way as you do. I have for a long time. Don’t do it.

          • Fruttel1

            I can relate, Kiwi.

          • Dcbos

            remember people love you with all your foibles; stay in touch with good helpers don’t try to fight this terrible disease alone.

          • Michelet Turkovich Carsrud

            I wrote a blog for my personal family that said this exact thing. Not posting for likes or anything…but sharing from one who shares depression to another… http://micheletsantics.blogspot.com/ and here as well, same… http://mymichelet.blogspot.com/2014/

          • Cheryl Weidley

            Again, if this took you out of that dark prison, may his memory be even more blessed. If you have the gift of comedy find even more ways to rejoice within. Laughter is medicine. I pray both you and Sistersafetypin FIND HOPE AND LIGHT every day for a long, long and happy life. God bless.

          • Flogging Molly Justin Stewart

            I agree he is Pagliacci because when it was all said and done there was no one for him to be helped. I am going to really miss Robin Williams I wish I had his comedic talent!

          • gbw

            I hope you do too.

          • anjulgurl

            Keep going! You are stronger than you seem, braver than you know and smarter than you think you are! Look how so many people are sad because he is gone. Those whose lives you have touched will also feel that sadness if you were not here.

          • http://twitter.com/sistersafetypin SisterSafetyPin

            You are kind, thank you for your words.

          • Tara

            I hope you do, too!

          • Collette Ojeda

            We hope you do too. <3 Hugs from San Diego

          • Atc1009

            Much love to you. I hope you see the outpouring of love for this kind and sweet man. He had his demons, as you may well have yourself. But in the end, the love for him and the impact he had was clearly enough to influence the world. For you it might not be the world in terms of celebrity, but for those who know and are close, its the world to you. Much love my friend. I hope you are well. Contact me anytime if you ever need to talk.

          • coherentplanet
          • Marco Velasquez

            Now theres a fan after my own heart . . .
            I hope many can escape that depth of darkness.

            “Masquerading as a man with a reasonMy charade is the event of the season
            And if I claim to be a wise man,
            Well, it surely means that I don’t know

            On a stormy sea of moving emotion
            Tossed about, I’m like a ship on the ocean
            I set a course for winds of fortune,
            But I hear the voices say…”

            And from a Williams inspired movie . . .

            “Gather thee rosebuds while ye may – Carpe Diem”

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZKrwJzGg0k

            Lyrics:
            http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/dreamtheater/achangeofseasons.html#1

            Carry On Robin, where ever the wind takes you.
            A very sad day it is :’(.

          • Ladyjames123

            The poem from DPS you are talking about it its entirety is amazingly beautiful and appropriate I think.

            Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
            Old Time is still a-flying;
            And this same flower that smiles today
            Tomorrow will be dying.

            The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
            The higher he’s a-getting,
            The sooner will his race be run,
            And nearer he’s to setting.

            That age is best which is the first,
            When youth and blood are warmer;
            But being spent, the worse, and worst
            Times still succeed the former.

            Then be not coy, but use your time,
            And while ye may, go marry;
            For having lost but once your prime,
            You may forever tarry.

          • PCLADY

            That’s so beautiful. Only those who have lived in that dark place called depression know the terrific pain that can envelop one’s existence. I hope Robin Williams is at peace now. I pray for his loved ones and hope they will be able to focus on the good times filled with love and laughter. RIP Funniest Man in the World!

          • Lyle Dunn Jr.

            Lay your weary head to rest……don’t you cry no more

          • William Shevchuk

            further

          • Lee Sigall

            You can do it, Sister SP!

          • Karin Shimoyama

            lots of love to you, SisterSafetyPin. We all are in this together. No one’s an island. Reach out when you need it, and good luck through it all. love and light <3

          • Shannon Tidwell

            Jesus Christ is your answer.

          • MotherGinger

            Stop it, Shannon. A strong relationship with Christ can certainly help bring perspective & strength & love for those who lack it (and are mentally in the condition to receive such things), but it is only part of the problem. Just as Jesus isn’t the only thing you do to stop cancer, it’s not the only thing you do to stop depression, and pat answers like yours only serve to drive people away from Christ.

            Do you think there’s never been a born-again believer who had depression that drove him to suicide?

          • Cheryl Parr

            well said . MotherGinger !

          • pontiac22

            I know you mean well, but what about really decent, caring people who have tried and tried to understand the faith that you and others have, and their brain tells them that it is nonsense? We don’t mean to bash you because we know it’s important to you, but sometimes we get frustrated and angry because how can you believe something with absolutely no basis in fact or reality?

          • AmericanG

            Because Jesus actually existed. He was real, is that reality? Now you might be talking about the belief that Jesus is the son of God. Is there any reality to that?

            Can you see the love of your wife or husband? How do you know that one day they will not cheat on you and leave you. You don’t, but you have faith. You must have faith, otherwise you’ll never truly have a happy relationship.

            BAM yeah, what, what?

          • Ayiti Nirvana

            Well played AmericanG!

          • VirginiaPatriot

            This is arrogant and ignorant to anyone suffering severe depression. BAM, you are an asshole.

          • pontiac22

            I would think that Jesus probably existed from all the writings, but no, I do not believe he is the Son of God or born of a virgin birth. I do not know that my spouse won’t cheat on me for certain, that is true, but at least I can see them and touch them. Not true for Jesus.

          • MarieFromOttawa

            I guess it is a good thing you don’t mean to bash us, because when you follow that up with telling us “how can you believe something with absolutely no basis in fact or reality?” – it sure feels like bashing — just because you can’t wrap your brain around it, does not make it appropriate to dismiss it as fallacy.

          • pontiac22

            Marie, I understand. Part of me does have contempt for people that take the Bible literally. I wish that wasn’t so. Telling me I can’t wrap my brain around it can also make it sound like I’m not very bright because I can’t accept that Noah found two of every species in the world and put them on a boat, and that’s one of numerous stories, but I don’t believe you meant it in a bad way. Just reading the Bible and saying “God said it, I believe it and that settles it”, doesn’t make one smarter, either. You either accept it or you don’t, and accepting it does not make you a better (or worse) person, and vice-versa.

          • Gordon Cruikshank

            And it is serious nonsense.

          • disqus_zLY0jsDmax

            You sound like a really decent and caring person yourself. It is lovely when someone can express a different view without getting nasty. I appreciate it. If I may, I have to say that I cannot come to the conclusion that the spiritual/non-physical has “no basis in fact or reality”. Not very long ago, there was no such thing as The Scientific Method. Physical reality could, therefore, not be verified and people made huge errors in reasoning. The Scientific Method had to come along and clear up a hellava lot of confusion for us mortals. Mankind has benefitted enormously from it but it also has a downside which is that we negate the non-material part of existence. Today we have the same situation with metaphysical reality as we had with physical reality before the Scientific Method. A lot of confusion, therefore, ensues. One cannot verify the existence of God using The Scientific Method because God is not a physical entity. Perhaps, one day, some genius will come along and develop The Metaphysical Method and then we can talk about whether or not there is a basis for faith in the non-material or not. After all, 99% of the universe is empty space. The space has information in it that is not physical. Why then do we spend 99% of our time, investigating 1% of the universe? Peace!

          • pontiac22

            Well, maybe I was over a little unfair to say “no basis in fact or reality”, because when I look at the stars, and see nature and how babies are born, and many other wonders, I think that someone or something just HAD to have created it. But then I think of the suffering and pain and wonder why a loving God wold allow it, so it is a heck of a struggle. I don’t believe in the scriptures, though there are good lessons there to be learned, but I also cannot call myself an atheist because I just don’t know. I am very doubtful but hope for the best. Thanks for your kind words!

          • VirginiaPatriot

            One word: bullshit. Ask Marie Osmond how well that worked for her son, a very religious family.

          • Blank Reg

            “What time is it?”
            “Jesus Christ…”

          • kwachie

            Why must each and every discussion about any and everything be hijacked for Jesus? Robin Williams was a self-described “honorary Jew.”

            Just once I’d for a discussion to get from beginning to end without devolving into a selfish battle about personal beliefs that have nothing to do with it. If your particular religion works for you, that’s great, but just like I wouldn’t insist that you should take my high blood pressure for your diabetes, please don’t prescribe your faith as if it’s the perfect fit for everyone else.

            RIP, Robin. You were a mensch … one of a kind … and you made the world a happier, funnier place for having been here. I wish you could have stuck around to enjoy your grandchildren, you’d have been the best grandpa in the history of grandpas. : (

          • NoFightingInTheWarRoom

            Yeah because no Christians suffer from depression. Come on.

          • 3VWdriver

            Jesus Christ is Indeed a Good answer…but there Will still be illnesses and diseases and death. Knowing Jesus Christ does not stop those, and it is not a helpful answer to people who are Hurting, although to Show His love through patience and understanding is Huge.

          • Haden

            ZOMBIES are the answer!! Are you suggesting that people who are depressed watch The Walking Dead marathon-style? That could help. If you’re suggesting that there is a god or heaven I’ll go ahead and free up some time for you – there is no god, there is only evolution. Evolution’s job is to make us better able to survive. We have evolved so entirely that we have erased death. The smartest way to defeat death, whereby winning at evolution, is to just get rid of it. Death doesn’t exist if we can convince ourselves that there is existence past death. Unfortunately, we have not evolved past our own selfishness so, rather than content ourselves with the truth that our bodies live on as water and energy and organisms that will see a million permutations as they amble along throughout eternity, we insist on an eternity where our opinions, our feelings, our purity, our generosity, the lack of these things in others, will be recognized, rewarded, lauded, or punished. It is selfishness. You are a bug, struggling on its back. Evolve. Go ahead. It won’t hurt.

          • LIZ

            Jesus didn’t stop Robin from Killing himself…. What kind of message is THAT, Jesus is the answer. It certainly ISN”T

          • VeggieTart

            When I found out, it threw me into a funk. The last time I felt this low was after the Boston Marathon bombing. I didn’t know anyone there. i didn’t know Robin Williams. I don’t know why those two events affected me so deeply and hundreds of other tragic events didn’t.

            But every day I know I just put one foot in front of the other and that the low moods will eventually abate.

          • lilithfair33

            MAKE IT! Wherever you can find the strength find it and make it! This disease shouldn’t have to be a death sentence and the more that people succumb to it, the more others could end up losing hope. You deserve a FANTASTIC life filled with love, happiness and joy. You are AMAZING and you CAN overcome this disease. So wherever you have to draw your strength from do it because I’m sure you are LOVED!

          • Rusty Reeves

            you haave lived it my sister

          • Elise Green Kern

            Total wake up call for me too SisterSafetyPin

          • Donna J Mahnken

            You can make it…Jesus can get you through this tough life. He helps me, He will help you too.. http://www.NeedGod.com

          • NOBODY

            I’m right there with ya…my sister’s one year anniversary of the day she died was the 12th and I was already reeling over that thinking it should have been me and she had so much more to offer but then I heard about this and it just hit really hard.

          • Cheryl Weidley

            That is one of the best tributes I have ever read on anyone’s impact on another. God bless him and God bless you.

            Let’s keep going…… in his honor and because there are things worth living for.

          • Autumn Jade Young VanEtten

            I understand completely. I used drugs and alcohol to numb myself from the gnawing ache of depression, eventually attempting to end everything. I sat alone, in a hotel bathtub, loaded gun in my mouth. Trigger pulled, and nothing happened(crap ammo). I cried for a second I thought hell was a crappy hotel room in nyc. Then i dedicated my life to making other better

          • Scot Carr

            ~ I hope so, too, Sis.

          • Looking for the LIGHT

            I hope you do to!!!! I know when I get to the dark parts the thing that gets me thru is……..JUST BREATH

          • What would Studs say

            Never, never, never give up! You don’t want those left behind grieving as you are today. Best of luck!

        • Fred Masic

          I have to agree. I suffer from Depression, for almost 7 years now. Everyday is a gift, but some can also be a curse. It is hard to understand what was going on in Mr. Williams’ mind when he decided it was time to stop the fight. Yet, they mentioned the superficial wounds on his wrists which could have indicated cutting aka self-harm. I would have liked to met the man personally and let him know his fight is our fight… day or night!

          • Ziva (Candace) McCabe

            Agree. Been there. A hemmorhahic stroke showed me the value I am for others. My return from the abyss was remarkable.

          • LifeIsntWhatItSeems

            Ziva (Candace) McCabe — Amazing! One of my closest friends–and co-workers (we were both nurses in a retirement facility) recently suffered and SURVIVED a massive hemorrhagic stroke. My heart shattered into a million small pieces at the thought of my bff–near death, on a ventilator. Then, I learned she was gradually improving. I was in a panic when I soon discovered…my bff/co-worker would soon become…MY PATIENT! We both had shared our battles with depression, feelings of helplessness, being useless, the whole gammit. The day she admitted to the rehab unit, I took her 3 HUGE helium balloons–a butterfly with 4-ft wingspan, a 3 ft tall flower with a smiley face, and a 3 ft long turtle–her husband’s nickname for her was “TurtleMonkey.” I also brought her a stuffed monkey-named “Wild Thang”–she quickly grabbed Wild Thang and hugged him up! Then I explained–significance of the balloons…Turtle cuz we ALL love our Turtle Monkey, the big flower–cuz live flowers wither and fade away, but the smile of a friend can make your day, and the Butterfly-cuz One Day…she was going to fly up out of this place, and we are going to go dancing!!! I literally WATCHED her return from the abyss….every day, new words formed. Sure, she said “microwave” for “remote,” but being friends–I just “GOT” what she wanted. She celebrated her 50th Birthday in Rehab. And she was SO EXCITED! I told her I’d cried on my 50th, cuz I’m half a century old–to which she replied with a smile, “I’m CELEBRATING my 50th, because I’m HERE and ALIVE to celebrate!!! Twelve short weeks later, she GRADUATED Rehab, and is now living at home–her husband, who simply adores and worships her, and her children, are telling and showing her every single day just HOW IMPORTANT she is to THEIR LIVES!!! I text and facebook nearly every day!!!
            Keep up the good work, young lady — most hemorrhagic strokes do NOT end up well….God BLESS YOU!!! <3 <3 <3 Stay Strong, Don't let life get you "Down," and always ALWAYS try to list 3 Positive Things…or More if you're having a real bad day! Hats OFF to you for your RECOVERY!!! <3 <3 <3

          • Justin Reuling

            This man was more than a comedian. More than a friend. Much more than a helping hand. He was that little voice when you’re down telling you “don’t give up keep on pushing. No matter what anyone says you matter in this world.” Robin Wiliiams is and always will be that inner child in all of us. He’s the light at the end of the tunnel letting you know you’re going to be okay. He’s that mad spark of imagination we all have that makes us unique. He’s the one and only “funniest man in the world”. I will never forget Robin Williams and when I have kids someday I’ll tell them of his tale. Tell them all about the legend. Because that’s what he is a legend. It’s okay although he is gone his memory and legend will forever be eternal. The mark that he left on each and every one of his fans hearts is as permanent as a permanent marker. His movies and stand up will forever be with us in our dreams and our tv screens. Rest in paradise Robin Mclaurin Williams.

          • Angie Luci Daniels

            I was put on SSRIs… they have more now, not all make you numb. It helps and I can make it through but I ran out a few months ago and went to a dark place again. (Got a new prescription so I’m fine now) Please don’t give up.

          • LifeIsntWhatItSeems

            AMEN!!! Never EVER EVER! give up!!!
            And Angie Luci Daniels–I’ve been a nurse 22 years—PLEASE! Promise me you won’t ever let yourself run out of medications again!!! I’ve done it myself-so I’m not scolding you…just encouraging you..stay on top of it–we don’t want you to end up in that “Dark Place” so many of us have visited and don’t want to go back to!!! (Also, certain SSRIs – when you run out of them, can cause you to plummet so quickly, you feel like the world is caving in, and everyone/everything is against YOU!!! Some can also cause seizures if you run out and just stop taking them.) Take care of yourself, Sunshine–and you’ll do just FINE!!! <3 <3 <3

        • LJFCAT

          As someone who had to be put into therapy at seven years old I was saying and behaving so darkly, I want to say you put it brilliantly. Thank you.

        • Glo

          Just to clear up Depression is not a Disease It’s a Disorder.. Google is your friend Pal…js

          • Zenka Wistram

            Disease and disorder are not strongly differentiated words and are often used interchangeable. Google is also your friend… pal.

          • Mary Durand

            And do you know the difference between a disorder in the PDR and a disease? Get over yourself and quit attention seeking. Show some self respect. Google has no bearing on disease processes, which btw, jerkee, include disorders, since phonix is not YOUR friend. Good Lord. Rest In Peace RW. This person was just giving you material for a SNL skit. Yeah…

          • Your Everything

            its without doubt a disease.. just because they cant fix it yet doesn’t make it less so

          • Simon Carrington

            People like referring to it as a disease because disorders are more rare and less curable.

          • myowndisqus

            Wrong. According to the DSM-V it IS a disease along with Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder……need I say more?

        • Jennifer Adriana Gable

          I believe that was the problem. He WAS Robin Williams! You can only have one. If you could have one for Robin-himself, we most likely would never have lost him, or his loss would not be so great… nor his legacy. He was TRULY… the ONLY one of his kind!!! He was indescribably phenomenal!!! #FOREVERMISSEDROBINWILLIAMS

        • Angie Luci Daniels

          YES! We need to treat it as an illness. I was diagnosed with clinical depression a number of years ago. The treatment I was given has helped keep me off of the edge despite the long litany of friends and relatives saying “How can that be? You’re not sad. You’re the funniest, happiest person I know” I only wish Robin could have had someone say, like my doctor did, that I needed serious help. I hope he has found peace.

          • rdwing69

            Probably because we try to hide our pain through joking around/acting happy. It’s all a facade.

        • utxdoni

          As trite as it sounds, RW’s brand of humor could change my focus, and have me laughing when I was devoid of any joy.

        • Steve Knudsen

          and that’s the key — you let him pull you out!

        • Paul Weinberg

          I think it’s important that we help people understand it, whether it is depression or bipolar disorder. Otherwise we will continue to see these outcomes and never understand why.

        • woodgrain

          Depression is an evil disease that ruins so many lives and you can see shorten them.. His death can be a trigger to others with depression. Careful out there. :(

        • Adam James Kenyon

          Yeah depression sucks. All the irrational bad thoughts take over and you can’t control it. You feel like you don’t deserve anything or anyone.

        • Christophla

          Depression is like telling a car with an empty tank, “Come on, you can do it. Drive!”

          • Kim willay

            A car does not know it is a car.

            Forget what is in a gas tank.

            I am scared of what Stephen King ‘Maximum Overdrive’ nightmares lurk in your garage.

          • Lynn Huff

            Christophia is speaking metaphorically. Guessing you don’t understand what a metaphor is?

        • Haden

          Dear everyone talking about how you KNOW because you HAVE IT. This is not about you. This is about a man who killed himself. That man. Not you. I am appalled by the number of narcissist jerks this tragedy has pulled out of the woodwork. The next time someone says, “RIP” or “poor fellow” try and remember not to tell a story about yourself or your pathetic existence. It can’t ALWAYS be about you. Everyone has a story, everyone has a problem, but sometimes you need to just say, “What a tragedy for his family, what a loss.” Period. Stop talking. Selflessness can do amazing things for your soul, but only if you’re not waiting around for someone to notice how g-d selfless you are.

          • trinity

            I think it’s GOOD that people are sharing their stories. Depression stays in the dark. We’re good at keeping it there. We’re told it’s a weakness. We’re told to just think on the bright side! My mother, in particular, loves to tell me she doesn’t understand why I take all those meds. She just doesn’t LET herself get depressed.

            So I think it’s great everyone is sharing their story. There may be people that don’t realize that they are not alone in that darkness. For years I thought that something was SO wrong with me that no one in the world could understand it. I was wrong.. And while that makes me sad because I wouldn’t wish what I’ve felt on anyone, it also helped me to move forward and seek help. I met one woman in particular on an online forum. What she wrote on that forum, I could’ve written myself. And she gave me hope. I think that’s what folks are trying to do by telling their stories. Giving others hope.

          • Lynn Huff

            Maybe talking about it is not such a bad thing. I would rather hear people’s stories than for them to clam up and keep it all inside. Not only that, by talking about it, they may find that they are not as alone as they originally thought. Yes, sadly, Robin Williams is no longer with us and … yes, it is a tragedy for his family. Nobody has said anything to the contrary. Now untwist your panties. They seem to be in a wad.

        • capnmorgan5150

          I know what you’re saying. I suffer from it and it’s impossible to describe to people who have never experienced it. I’m on two different antidepressants right now, but it still crops up from time to time. It’s horrible. You don’t want to do anything or see anyone. You just have to work through it until it passes. R.I.P. Robin…

        • capnmorgan5150

          I know what you’re saying. I suffer from it and it’s impossible to describe to people who have never experienced it. I’m on two different antidepressants right now, but it still crops up from time to time. It’s horrible. You don’t want to do anything or see anyone. You just have to work through it until it passes. R.I.P. Robin…

        • capnmorgan5150

          I know what you’re saying. I suffer from it and it’s impossible to describe to people who have never experienced it. I’m on two different antidepressants right now, but it still crops up from time to time. It’s horrible. You don’t want to do anything or see anyone. You just have to work through it until it passes. R.I.P. Robin…

      • Maggie Joh

        And instead of coming together to share our grief and support one another we have people arguing over whether depression is a disease or disorder…amazing, simply amazing how short sighted and self-centred people can be (and yes it’s self-centred to argue and try to be “right”). Rest in peace Robin, and know that your memory will not boil down to “disease vs. disorder” for the majority of the rest of us.

        • Richard Davis

          You are the definition of irony. Thanks for arguing us all down a notch.

        • MarieFromOttawa

          I agree- we want people to support people with depression, and rather than make this forum friendly so they may want to learn how to help, they see the nit picking and name-calling and will walk away thinking it is not worth the stress

      • Stuart Ponder

        This reminded me of something rather ironic. Julie Kaver, the actress that is Marge’s voice, did a movie with Robin Williams in 1990 called “Awakenings” in which Robin portrayed the doctor that first identified the reason why people with Parkinson’s disease become “living statues”. The treatment the doctor devised worked better than anyone could have hoped for, but tragically only worked for a while leaving the patient to slide back into their unresponsive state. This had to be on his mind when he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

    • SkippingDog

      Nicely done.

    • Michael

      Da Dorq….absolutely beautifully said. Blessed at interpretation, you are. Thank you.

    • Linda C Hillman Nattress

      I agree with Da Dorq…..couldn’t have said it better myself!

    • Cynt227

      Thank you, beautifully put.

    • Steve Servideus

      That’s nice, but Robin Williams was not Jesus. If you don’t understand what that means, you may want to look up that “effects of the wind” metaphor.

      • Neal Blaise Salogar

        The metaphor could be used to apply to many things and people. It doesn’t belong to you or your religion. Sanctimonious much?

        • Steve Servideus

          “Can you see God? You haven’t seen him? I’ve never seen the wind. I see
          the effects of the wind, but I’ve never seen the wind. There’s a mystery
          to it.” That’s a direct quote from pastor Billy Graham in reference to the gospel of John chapter 8. You may as well tell me “The root of suffering is attachment” doesn’t come from Buddhism or “I have a dream” doesn’t belong to Martin Luther King, Jr. and the American Civil Rights movement.

          • Longshanks

            Yes, Billy Graham was undoubtedly the first human on the face of the planet, in the last two thousand millenia, who ever noticed that the wind moves things, but is itself unseen.

            Good fucking assumption.

          • Steve Servideus

            1. That’s an argument from silence, which is a basic fallacy.
            2. Martin Luther King Jr wasn’t the first person to say “I have dream,” but if you said, it would be plagiarism, and if you said it about anything other than the American Civil Rights movement then it would be inappropriate. Using Billy Graham’s phrasing of Biblical principle to describe an actor is inappropriate, and if you think Robin Williams if he were still with us wouldn’t mock the hell out of what a dumb error that is, then you haven’t seen much of Robin Williams’ material.

          • Longshanks

            You’re a clown.

            Juggle for me.

      • http://villageproduce.com/ Dan Pantz

        And people who don’t understand the definition of “metaphor” will probably sound foolish commenting on the meaning of one.

        met·a·phor
        ˈmetəˌfôr,-fər/

        noun
        - a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

        - a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.

      • Kim

        How do you know he wasn’t jesus….you don’t think jesus can come for a visit from time to time….why close up your thinking like that..anyway the man touched a lot of people’s hearts and gave them joy..in my mind that is worthy of that quote…

      • VirginiaPatriot

        No, he was more important: a real living, breathing, feeling entity.

    • Kieran Pegler

      There’s an episode of Mork and Mindy called “Mork Meets Robin Williams”, where Robin explains to him and Mindy that he can’t say no to people, and Mindy says “But you’ll never get any time to yourself’”, and Robin says “Oh, well maybe that’s the last thing that I want”

      • Jennifer Rundell

        Thank you for sharing that one!

      • MarieFromOttawa

        I don’t remember that one – I will have to see if I can find clips on youtube. thanks

    • Jeani Marie

      Anyone who believes Robin was all surface has not had the pleasure of truly spending time with him.My friends daughter met him on her make a wish trip…. he was a guest at her hotel and was never supposed to be part of her trip… he took it upon himself to spend time with this sweet girl. He sought out her company rather than the other way around. He made her trip extra special. She passed away not long after. His kindness gave her family a lot of happiness. It is just one more reason for me to adore him. I’ve always been a fan but knowing be genuinely cared about someone I loved makes me respect him even more.

      • LifeIsntWhatItSeems

        What a wonderful, caring, Heroic thing to do!!! I’m sure he impacted her life in such a positive way–and certain She touched his life in a way many of us could never comprehend!!! What a lovely, selfless thing for him to do!!!

      • Lynn Huff

        Thanks for sharing that. This is just one of the many things that people should remember about the man, Robin Williams. He had a generous and sweet nature.

    • LJFCAT

      Well said. He did express different facets at times though. He also channeled different parts of himself into different roles; only a man who understood a dark, warped loneliness could pull off One Hour Photo. What about Insomnia? A strange, vaguely dreamlike film about the never ending sun, guilt and honor, with one of the most complex characters I’ve ever seen – and he’s only in half the movie, less even.

      • Astragali

        You’re the first person I’ve seen talking about One Hour Photo. I thought he was brilliant in that movie, and so terrifying.

        • goofyjj

          I loved “One Hour Photo” it scared me but proved how gifted he was as an artist

        • LifeIsntWhatItSeems

          That was a very different movie style–yet he played the part so well. And yes–he terrified me!!!

    • Max Hodges

      >I’ve heard it said that Robin Williams was all surface, that he had no inside,

      I heard you like to spread hearsay

      • http://villageproduce.com/ Dan Pantz

        You should try reading past the first line next time. It might save you from posting foolish comments.

    • SMHart

      Maybe it was a beautiful cover for his pain… Maybe he cared more about improving the lives of others, rather than saying “hey, look at me!” Maybe both, we’ll never know. But even in death, he brings beauty, and will be sorely missed.

    • Mickey

      It’s been said that he was so socially awkward, one-on-one, that he had basically no personality at all. But TWO people became an “audience”, and then he was “on.”

      The bottom line is he lived to make people smile. If they were happy, he was happy. If there is a more selfless way to live, I don’t know what it is.

      Truly one of a kind.

    • BrandieRenae

      BEST way of putting how he affected us all. I feel like I lost my favorite uncle – and I never met him

      • Jennifer Rundell

        I feel exactly the same. I’ve lost part of my family.

    • Roy Rouell

      If he was empty it was because he was busy making sure we weren’t. He poured himself out for us so that we wouldn’t have to feel the way he did.

    • Lee Sigall

      Brilliant post! Thank you, Da Dorq!

    • Philip Loudface

      “Cracked” did a really powerful piece on this topic.

      http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves/

    • Juanita Harris

      Well spoke, sir.

    • Jimmbo

      “I’ve heard it said that Robin Williams was all surface, that he had no inside ”

      You heard wrong. Listen to his somber, thoughtful interview with Marc Maron: http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/remembering_robin_williams

    • grdesign

      so beautifully said.

    • cedaly1968

      I don’t know, it depends on how you define “inside” In this very article, Robin Williams just put a very nervous comic at ease and made a lifelong impression by showing kindness through humor and play. Sounds like there was a lot inside to me.

    • Karla Curry

      That was the most interesting and deep comment I’ve read yet about him. It fits perfectly. He was a force of nature, like the wind. I like that. Thanks for sharing :)

    • Lturner1959

      Oh he had an inside also. If you have no inside you dont pay for a friend’s (Christopher Reeve) medical bills. He had a wonderful inside he was just suffering from depression.

    • Vangel

      You may have hit it out of the park. He appeared to be all surface but there was clearly someone inside. The depression and suicide may have been caused by the fact that the two were so very different. It may be that Mr. Williams figured out that many of the things that he use to advocate and many of the people believed in were very different from what reality revealed them to be.

    • Melui Barrow

      Honestly, the way I view it… Robin Williams never had an inside because his inside was on the OUTSIDE. He was one of those people that would be frank and honest, because he knew that it would hurt more if he wasn’t. I’ve seen him look really sad in pictures… and yeah, he had some serious depression… But he was a sincerely good man, and he cared so much for his friends and family. I just hope that I can live my life in that way… Even when I’m down and depressed, I want to always bring smiles to other people’s faces.

      • Vangel

        Honest? Perhaps honest about his emotions, but hardly intellectually honest. I wonder if reality, logic, and enlightenment finally caught up to him and he could not handle it.

        • Melui Barrow

          Well, as I said, it is the way I view it.

          • Vangel

            I think that you missed my point. He did expose himself as you said and he was very honest about how he felt about things. The problem is that with time reality has a way of showing us if our beliefs made sense.

            So what happens when experience tells you that many of the things that you were so passionate about were built on a foundation of sand? How many times can you tell people not to fly, have kids, own pets, etc., because the planet was cooking before you look around and figure out that the people who told you that stuff were doing what you said others should not? How many of the things that you said were true are exposed as lies before you either admit that you were wrong or look for an alternative solution?

            My interpretation of Mr. Williams’ final act is pretty straightforward. He was a man who was smart and driven and spent his whole live climbing the ladder of success. When he got near the top he figured out that the ladder was supported by a foundation of lies and led him to the wrong conclusions. Instead of doing what many men do and go through a midlife crisis that forces certain changes he took the more direct solution.

  • Synclavius

    Jesus – thanks for making me cry again Norm.