Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder (R) Wants ‘Anglo-American’ Justice in Ferguson

Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder (R) demanded Gov. Jay Nixon reinstate the curfew in Ferguson, and allow "Anglo American jurisprudence" to "protect the rights and liberties of everyone involved".
Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder (R) demanded Gov. Jay Nixon reinstate the curfew in Ferguson, and allow "Anglo American jurisprudence" to "protect the rights and liberties of everyone involved".
Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 1.03.02 PM

Whenever a crisis involving police brutality against black people arises in America, you can be sure that an old white Republican will weigh in on the situation with something so transparently racist and insensitive that it's hard to believe we are living in the 21st century.

Enter Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder (R), who on Tuesday demanded Gov. Jay Nixon reinstate the curfew in Ferguson, and allow "Anglo American jurisprudence" to "protect the rights and liberties of everyone involved".

Translation: We need white law to quell uncontrollable black people.

Kinder, who was speaking with MSNBC’s Ronan Farrow, said that there was “no question” race was a major part of the protests in Ferguson. He went on:

“We do not do justice in America in the streets though. We have legal processes that are set in motion, that are designed after centuries of Anglo-American jurisprudence tradition, they’re designed to protect the rights and liberties of everyone involved.”

“That includes the Brown family, for justice for them and for the community. It also includes the officer who has not yet been charged.”

It sounds fair enough - let the legal system do its thing, and all will work out for the best. After all, it is designed to protect everyone, including black people!

The problem is, that system has been discriminating against black people for centuries and fails over and over again to provide justice for young black men (and women) murdered by trigger happy white people. So when Kinder uses the term 'Anglo-American jurisprudence', it is particularly offensive given the context.

It is possible that Kinder does not understand why using that term is completely inappropriate. And that probably makes it even worse.