Leading Presidential Contender Says Obama "Has Done Plenty Of Things Worthy Of Impeachment"

One of the sound bites burning up the interwebs today is irrelevant has-been Mike Huckabee's impeachment talk, but did you know that one of the GOP's top presidential contenders for 2016 is also throwing around the I-word?
One of the sound bites burning up the interwebs today is irrelevant has-been Mike Huckabee's impeachment talk, but did you know that one of the GOP's top presidential contenders for 2016 is also throwing around the I-word?
impeach

You can throw another shrimp on the barbie, and by "shrimp" I mean Republican, and by barbie, I mean the cordwood stack of rabid impeachment-mongers that Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) says are made up of all Democrats.

The Speaker of the House isn't the only delusional i-word-denier in Washington, D.C., as evidenced by the parade of mainstream Beltway media types who continue to insist that Democrats and the White House are somehow the bad guys for pointing out that Republicans never stop talking about impeachment. Even liberals on MSNBC, like Steve Kornacki, are casting impeachment as the fever dream of back-benchers, and something that will never happen.

One of those supposed back-benchers is Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), who went to the impeachment well again this week, even as George Stephanopoulos was deriding the White House's impeachment warnings. Never mind that King wields tremendous influence in first-in-the-nation presidential caucus state Iowa, or that the border bills that just eked their way through the House are essentially King's un-wadded, flattened immigration fantasy fap-towel. Let's pretend he doesn't have any influence.

Then, there's Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), who joined the i-word club Monday, telling radio  listeners that Boehner's lawsuit is a waste of time, and impeachment is the way to go.

Never heard of Walter Jones? Fair enough, but maybe you've heard of a guy named Mike Huckabee? On Monday, the Fox News host told an Iowa radio host that President Obama "has done plenty of things worthy of impeachment," but that the Democratic Senate is currently the obstacle:

"There's no doubt that he's done plenty of things worthy of impeachment. Now the fact is we don't have the Senate, so if you impeached him in the House and it went to the Senate it would never even get to the floor..."

Now, I know what Steve Kornacki and Chuck Todd and George Stephanopoulos and everyone else in the world who's smarter than me is going to say: that Huckabee is irrelevant, washed-up, that he has even less influence than Walter Jones.

Fair enough, but what if I told you that one of the Republicans talking impeachment this week is in a statistical tie for first in 2016 Republican primary polling, or that he's got a pretty decent lead in Iowa?

As it turns out, that guy is Mike Huckabee, who sits within one-third of a percentage point of Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) in the most recent Real Clear Politics polling average, and leads in RCP's Iowa polling average by three points. This is a guy who isn't even trying, a guy who sat out in 2012 despite similar support. He may have little influence over the mainstream media, or mainstream Republicans, but he has influence with Republican voters, and they are rewarding him for this kind of red meat. How long will it be before other Republicans begin to notice?

Despite the conventional wisdom of my betters, I say it's a coin flip whether House Republicans impeach the President before the midterms, because once President Obama takes the executive action he's promised on immigration, the fire of a thousand suns will be lit under their feet by voters, and fanned by supposed back-benchers like Steve King. Once the midterms are over, it is a virtual certainty that they'll do it.