Fox News Host On Cat-Calling: "Let Men Be Men"

The ladies of Fox News weigh in on cat-calling, and it's everything you feared it would be.
The ladies of Fox News weigh in on cat-calling, and it's everything you feared it would be.
KG

Fox News' Outnumbered, which debuted in April, is fast becoming the worst daytime show on any channel, like a comically sinister version of The View. The show typically features one male and four female cohosts. Hence, the name Outnumbered, which if you think about it, implies that a male hosting a television show is the default. Although I haven't watched more than one segment at a time, it seems like every day some new abomination has taken place on the set, and Thursday was no exception.

Discussing an op-ed defending cat-calling published in (of course) the shitty New York Post, the Outnumbered crew broke into some sort of bizarro Seneca Falls Convention.

Stacey Dash: I'm from the south Bronx. I grew up with it. You hear it. You ignore it. Just as long as you don't come within arm's length, it's good. I don't care.

[...]

Kirsten Powers: When I was younger I didn't like it. It used to bother me. Like, "Oh, this is so sexist." Now I'm like, if it doesn't happen, I'm like, "Excuse me." So now it's good.

[...]

Kimberly Guilfoyle: Then you give a little extra shake... Listen, let men be men. God bless them, I love them... Men are going to be that way. What can you do? They mean it in a nice way, I think. Like they find you attractive or they want to just pay a compliment."

Let men be men? Guilfoyle must have a strange definition of "man."

I've often wondered about the type of "man" who feels compelled to shout "compliments" at random women on the street. It's been said that a cat-call involves a certain twisted male power dynamic, and it can certainly be looked at that way.

But it can also be viewed as something else: a surrender. A cat-call is a way of saying, "I think you're attractive, but instead of finding a way to talk to you and maybe getting your number, I'm just going to shout something at you because I have no game."

The best thing you can say about this segment is that the lone man on the panel, Arthur Aida, had the good sense not to weigh in on catcalling, but even this was undone when he explained his "move" for complimenting a woman on the street, which apparently entails just standing there and clapping at her.

h/t: Media Matters