'Hercules' Kevin Sorbo Apologizes For Calling Ferguson Residents "Animals"

The former TV Hercules tries to backtrack on his earlier disgusting comments about the people of Ferguson.
The former TV Hercules tries to backtrack on his earlier disgusting comments about the people of Ferguson.
Sorbo

The turmoil in Ferguson, Mo. that began 12 days ago with the shooting of 18-year-old Mike Brown finally got to former Hercules star and conservative celebrity Kevin Sorbo last night, when he took to his Facebook page to call the people of Ferguson "animals" who blame "everyone else, The Man, for their failures."

Although he later tried to narrow his comments somewhat, Sorbo's original post (since deleted) seemed to be directed at the demonstrators who are being confronted by police, as well as "African-Americans" in general. Here's the original text:

Ferguson riots have very little to do with the shooting of the young man. It is an excuse to be the losers these animals truly are. It is a tipping point to frustration built up over years of not trying, but blaming everyone else, The Man, for their failures. It's always someone else's fault when you give up. Hopefully this is a reminder to the African Americans ( I always thought we just Americans. Oh, well.) that their President the voted in has only made things worse for them, not better.

Although Sorbo pegs the comments to what he describes as "Ferguson riots," the terms "losers" and "animals" are directed at the community whose "frustrations have built up," a community he goes on to identify as "the African Americans." Go ahead and try to make sense of a post from a guy who, in one breath, says "I always thought we were just Americans," then tells "African Americans" what to think about "their President."

He then copies and pasted most of this article, without linking or blockquoting, before concluding that the police officer who shot Mike Brown is the real victim (emphasis mine):

Don´t forget the media putting out the Cop´s name, photo and home information. I hear he is forced to leave the community by this -- victimized a second time! The media promotes chaos to boost their pathetic ratings. We should shut them all off and watch clips on the internet only when republished under fair use by a conservative media watchdog group.

The post continues to receive blistering blowback on social media, which has prompted Sorbo to delete te original opst, and then explain that only the black looters and vandals are losers (no word on who the animals are):

Okay....I stand humiliated and humbled. My most sincere apologies for my post on the events in Ferguson. I posted out of frustration and anger over the violence and looting. My words were never meant to hurt the African-American community. My use of the word "losers' was directed at those doing the looting and vandalising and violence toward others. Anyone who does that is a loser in my book. So I will not apologise to those who are looting stores and vandalising there own community. I am very sorry for the police shooting. To answer violence with violence is not the answer here. Real leaders need to emerge out of that community to deal with the problems with the excessive use of police force. I agree with you that the police action has only added to the reaction of the residents of Ferguson. Yes. I am an idiot and do hold myself accountable for the way my post came off.

Although Sorbo doesn't seem to have learned not to call people protesting an injustice "animals," he does seem to have gained a small bit of wisdom with regard to the effect of police action on a community. It's just a shame he, and many other white conservatives, don't just react to Ferguson with the pitch-perfect commentary that Sorbo created years ago: