ALS Association Responds to Pamela Anderson's Accusations On Animal Testing

Pamela Anderson is trying to stop people donating to the ALS Association. The long time PETA supporter accused the organization of funding experiments that injected chemicals into monkey brains. It turns out that isn't true.
Pamela Anderson is trying to stop people donating to the ALS Association. The long time PETA supporter accused the organization of funding experiments that injected chemicals into monkey brains. It turns out that isn't true.
pamela_anderson

Pamela Anderson wants you to know that her cause is more important than your cause. And her cause is so important that she'll trash fundraising efforts of other non-profits in order to promote her own much better one.

In response to the thousands of people pouring buckets of ice on their heads to raise awareness of ALS, the former 'Bay Watch' star and long time militant animal rights activist group 'PETA' advocate posted a letter to her fans on Facebook outlining her reasons for not taking part in the challenge. She wrote:

Sorry -
I can't bring myself to do your Ice bucket challenge.
I enjoy a good dare- It's always good to bring awareness - in fun, creative ways / I don't want to take away from that.
but it had me thinking. Digging a bit deeper. I found that we may not be aligned - in our messages. So...
- I thought Instead / I'd challenge ALS to stop Animal testing /-- Recent experiments funded by the ALS Association, mice had holes drilled into their skulls, were inflicted with crippling illnesses, and were forced to run on an inclined treadmill until they collapsed from exhaustion. Monkeys had chemicals injected into their brains and backs and were later killed and dissected.

This sounds awful. Who wants to see monkeys having chemicals injected in their brains and mice tortured, right? Well, it turns out that the ALS Association denies funding testing that tortures animals and injects Monkeys through their skulls. Not only that, the organization allows donors who object to specific uses of money to withhold it from that particular area.

Finding this out took all of 3 minutes after I spoke with Carrie Monk, a spokesperson for the ALS Association, who sent the organizations official statement on animal testing to The Daily Banter. It says:

Significant advances have been made in ALS and other neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's Disease and Parkinson's Disease using model systems such as rodents, flies and worms to better understand disease mechanisms and to develop therapies. With advances in technology made possible through research funding from The ALS Association, different approaches to minimize the use of these model systems are being developed. Similar to organizations globally, The ALS Association supports laboratories and scientists that strictly adhere to the guidelines provided by the National Institutes of Health. The Association is committed to honoring donor intent. If a donor is not comfortable with a specific type of research, he or she can stipulate that their dollars not be invested in that particular area.

The Daily Banter also received a statement from Chief Scientist for The ALS Association, Lucie Bruijn, Ph.D., MBA who told us that:

"We are currently not funding primate studies and per our statement, support research that adheres to ethical guidelines."

If Pamela Anderson has any legitimate sources proving specific tests funded by the ALS Association tortured animals, she should release them immediately. You'll note that her Facebook post offers up no sourcing whatsoever, so we apparently have to take her word for it. In the age of Jenny McCarthy activism, it isn't required to use real sources or actual science to make a point, so we may be waiting a long time.

pamela anderson

(Image via Pamela Anderson's Facebook page)

Regardless of whether the organization does testing on animals or not, donators get to specify where that money goes to, making Anderson's little protest all the more nauseating. Through the ice bucket challenge, the ALS Association has raised in excess of $41.8 million to spread awareness for one of the most debilitating diseases on the planet. It uses that money to fund much needed research (more than $67 million to date), engages in advocacy that resulted in the enactment of the ALS Registry Act that established "the first central database that will identify cases of ALS throughout the United States and collect comprehensive information about the disease," funds support networks for sufferers, and promotes public awareness of the disease through media campaigns (like the Ice Bucket Challenge).

But of course Pamela isn't concerned with any of that, because according to her 'digging' some of that money has been used to doing things she doesn't like. The rest of Anderson's Facebook post is a collection of cherry picked facts about the inefficiency of animal testing (a subject she is completely unqualified to talk about), with a plea for would be donors to contribute to non-profits Pamela Anderson approves of.

So take note all you charitable folk, whenever Pam Anderson posts advice on who to donate to, be sure to ignore it completely.