The Worst Thing America Could Do Would Be to Take Military Action in Ukraine

There are so many layers to the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 tragedy that it’s nearly impossible to know what will happen next. As with any major tragedy, especially the bellicose ones, history has taught us that there are two distinct paths that can be taken in the wake of these sorts of events.

Beyond ascertaining the circumstances surrounding the shooting-down of the passenger jet; beyond comforting the grieving families and mourning those who were lost, it is absolutely critical that the voices who will inevitably call for immediate and unilateral U.S. military action in Ukraine need to be strategically and unflinchingly marginalized. I mean, mercilessly. Of course, congressional leaders like Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and television screechers like Bill O’Reilly, each of whom demanded action today, do a pretty fine job of marginalizing themselves, but that’s not enough — not this time. They should be verbally beaten down like anyone who revels in irrational, kneejerk behavior in the face of an international tragedy.

Here’s why.

If this truly turns out to be connected with Russian President Vladimir Putin, the United States or any of the nations that lost people in the skies over Donetsk on Thursday won’t need to fire a single shot. Indeed, the world and perhaps many of Putin’s own citizens will line up in solidarity against his despotism. In fact, the worst possible U.S. response would be to engage Putin militarily in Ukraine. A considerable chunk of that solidarity and, more importantly, the moral high ground would be wiped away.

That’s not to say there will never again be a valid reason for U.S. forces to intervene overseas. But in Ukraine with a proxy war against Putin, the conflict would quickly be seen as another go-it-alone American military excursion, diminishing the affair into a contest between the U.S. and Russia, rather than the entire world against Russia. Unilateral action would absolutely decimate what might otherwise be accomplished through building upon what’s quickly becoming a universal accord against Russia’s aggression against civilians.

Rewind back to the year following 9/11. The U.S. could’ve accomplished massive, world-improving goals had it parlayed the outpouring of sympathy and unity from nearly every corner of the globe. Instead of capitalizing on that rare window of global fraternity, the Bush administration instead squandered it with a frivolous, ill-conceived invasion of Iraq, fueled by misplaced triumphalism and blind hubris. From the rumble at Ground Zero, a new era of worldwide unity was within our grasp, but the opportunity was squandered, giving way to shame, embarrassment and more bloodshed.

A similar choice confronts us today. Which path should we pursue and where will it lead us?

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

  • That River Gal

    PSA: We have a real live birther on the thread.

    • Lady Willpower

      I know! Isn’t it amazing? Like seeing a unicorn, if unicorns were depressingly ignorant instead of sparkly and awesome.

      • Sideshow Memo

        Haha. Here we go with the self-blindering and denial. Love how at certain points you lefties love to switch off the logic and devolve into schoolyard mocking and taunting. So predictable.

        • Lady Willpower

          Mmm-hmmm. Because when you immediately go into the “your mom” material you’re being high-brow and respectful.
          Run along now, son.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Not your son, lady. Don’t tell me what to do. And get your facts straight. 624LC started in on my mom and so I reciprocated.

  • Saren Arterius

    When did Republicans stop jacking off to pictures of Putin like they were doing in public at CCCPAC?

    • gocart mozart

      Yesterday.

    • Sideshow Memo

      Republicans don’t go to CPAC. Conservatives do. But those of us who care about our conservatism have known for a long time already that CPAC has gone Lame Stream. And many of us (myself included) have held strong reservations towards Putin from well before Bush II cozied up to him to help him fend off worse hardliners in the former CCCP. But hey, your glib generalizations, though completely off base are surely very gratifying to you and entertaining to your entourage so don’t let me poop on your parade.

  • Lady Willpower

    The real question is what would Marco Rubio do if he were president?

    • feloniousgrammar

      Take orders from his sponsors, the way W. did?

    • That River Gal

      He’d get a bigger bottle of water.

    • Sideshow Memo

      Stab other conservatives in the back probably.

  • WiscoJoe

    I’m so glad we currently have a President that is not likely to respond to this tragedy with military force. I’m also glad that the current President has shown extreme reluctance to provide high-grade weapons to unaccountable militia forces. We’ve seen what kind of senseless tragedies can happen when this type of firepower is given to people that can’t handle it.

    And to think that there are still Americans that actually think that the reckless and reactionary Putin somehow represents leadership and strength. Never forget.

    • Sideshow Memo

      “… the current President has shown extreme reluctance to provide high-grade weapons to unaccountable militia forces…”

      Huh? You’re talking about the president of your rotary club maybe?

  • Zen Diesel

    I wonder where have all the Putin fanboys gone?

    • That River Gal

      They are busy blaming Obama for this.

      • Sideshow Memo

        Personally, I enjoy living Putin-free.

  • dbtheonly

    Is anyone sane suggesting military action?

    Specifically, what is/could be done? WWIII?

    • Scopedog

      “Is anyone sane suggesting military action against Russia?”

      Only someone who takes the CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE videogame series waaayyyy too seriously.

      (And I say this as a fan of this series.)

      • dbtheonly

        Regrettably, Global Thermonuclear War does not have a “restart” button.

        I’m at a loss of what could be done militarily. what do they suggest be done?

        BTW, If I owe you an apology for not citing your first comparison of the Korean flight, consider it given.

        • Scopedog

          No apology necessary….:)

  • Sideshow Memo

    No, the worst thing America could do would be to elect another “Progressive” to the White House in 2016.

    • dbtheonly

      Like Reagan who didn’t attack the USSR when they shot down the Korean airliner?

      • Sideshow Memo

        apples and oranges. but how predictable you’d go straight for Reagan.

        • dbtheonly

          “apples and oranges” How so?

          “how predictable” Yep. Presidents. Airliners shot down. By Russians or their surrogates. Whoda thunk it?

          • gocart mozart

            That one was Korean, this is Malaysian. There is literally 100’s of miles of difference between the two.

          • dbtheonly

            Thousands of miles, but hey, who’s counting.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Well let me try to break it down for you dimwits here on the lefty kook fringe… Russia was still the Soviet Union and Ukraine was a Soviet-occupied territory and Reagan was certainly not playing Gumby to Gorby. Now, Ukraine is a free country, Russia is ruled by the remnants of the Soviet KGB (just like Golitsyn predicted) and the Ukraine is fighting off another Russian invasion and on top of it all we’ve got a foreign clown for a president who gets off on providing Big Bad Vlad with Gumby-esque flexibility.

          • dbtheonly

            So the difference is that the President has a (D) behind his name? That, or he’s a Kenyan Muslim?
            Or both?

          • Sideshow Memo

            The difference is that in the 80s we had a president who was a strong and compassionate man, who knew the difference between right and wrong and truly cared about America and the world, and now we’ve got a snarky wannabe golf-pro with a superiority complex, no serious qualifications for the job he fell into, dubious heritage and (in the words of his former SECSTATE) “no hand on the tiller”.

          • dbtheonly

            “dubious heritage”. #2?

            “no serious qualifications for the job” Better to have been the supporting actor in “Bedtime for Bonzo”? (Though given the current House of Representatives…)

            You buzz word very well.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Do the words “world’s fifth largest economy” (at the time) and “governor of” ring any bells for you?

          • dbtheonly

            Does Senator from Illinois ring any bells for you?

          • Sideshow Memo

            You know, it does. But did you really want to go there? I’m happy to compare those two.

          • dbtheonly

            Go for it.

            You’ve still got to establish that “qualification” has some relevance to Presidential performance. I’ll point out that President Hoover had tons of relevant experience. I’ll point out that President Buchanan had tons of relevant experience.Two of the worst Presidents ever.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Well since you mentioned “presidential performance” (displays a typical leftist view of what it means to hold the highest elected office — “performance”) why don’t we discuss the difference between being a chief executive and a legislator. Once we’ve done that and we are sure you understand, we can discuss what makes a legislator a good legislator (i.e. legislating, you know, debating legislation, proposing legislation even, voting on legislation and so forth).

          • dbtheonly

            “(displays a typical leftist view of what it means to hold the highest elected office — “performance””

            What “rightist” word would you choose?

          • Sideshow Memo

            service

          • Bosma

            Military? As in Ronny Raygun? The actor..???

          • Sideshow Memo

            Talk about childishness…

          • Bosma

            He WAS like a child. Yes..

          • Sideshow Memo

            No I meant you. Childishness, not child-likeness.

          • Bosma

            Oh, sorry. I still meant Reagan. He liked jellybeans and astrology…

          • Sideshow Memo

            He liked jelly beans (so do I) and his wife liked astrology. I was talking about you though. You reason childishly. Not in a good way.

          • Bosma

            I’m talking to you, right? If the shoe fits. And Ronnie Toygun was still a childlike man with plastic hair (can’t prove it wasn’t). And I like jellybeans too, we have that in common in addition to our mutual connection to ben gazzara, the actor. Did he work with Ronald Willie Squirtgun? I can’t remember. They did a movie once in Beirut, right?

          • Sideshow Memo

            you’re the child here.

          • Bosma

            Whatever, Sideshow Mel..

          • dbtheonly

            All the Presidents “served”. It’s the results of that service that is to be measured.

          • Sideshow Memo

            All but Ohbummer. Bathhouse Barry’s the first president to snark instead of serve.

          • dbtheonly

            I’m still working on how president Obama “seized” power with 53% of the vote.

          • feloniousgrammar

            Does “Iran-Contra” ring any bells for you?

            http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB2/nsaebb2.htm

          • dbtheonly

            Hey fg,

            Welcome to the game.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Does Ben Ghazi ring any for you? (I don’t have to go and read up on Iran-Contra. I was there, feloniousgramma. I don’t have time to explain to you what really happened, as opposed to what the Lame Stream newsertainment media says happened.)

          • dbtheonly

            “Ben Ghazi”

            Actor in the 1960s? Had a TV series, “Run for your Life”?

          • Sideshow Memo

            You don’t know the families of the Marines that died there I take it. So you have no problem making light of it. Sorry, I don’t have that luxury.

          • Bosma

            Did someone say Marines? Beirut 1983…???

          • Sideshow Memo

            I presume you think you have a point to make?

          • Bosma

            Yes. The beirut bombing from 1983. Killed Marines. Where were the warnings? Why did Ronnie fail in that regard? Benghazi times 50…

          • Sideshow Memo

            Great tragedy. No doubt. Reagan was personally crushed. He said later he thought a show of force would be a deterrent. He underestimated the threat of militant jihadist Islam. Of course he was there to take full responsibility immediately, front and center to meet with the families (all of them) and grieve with them. They appreciated it. Ohbummer on the other hand looked flippant and insincere even in his photo ops at Andrews when the caskets came in and the dad of one of the Marines told me personally that when he met with the “president” the man was brief and insincere, would not look in him the eye and moreover, as became clear eventually, Ohbummer actually lied to him to his face about what had happened.

          • Bosma

            Yeah, yeah. I can see that. However, when I met with Obama, while my best friends family was consoled by this fine president. You see, my best friends brother was one of those marines too. I’m glad we have that thread in common, Sideshow Memo, if that is your real name. It really touches me. The president told me with certainty that he would find the perpetrators of the attack and even as I was at Andrew A.B., I swear that the secret service, when whispering to the president said the name–Ahmed Abu Khattla and I knew something was up even then. The president winked at me and I knew for certain. A real straight shooter, this president. Thanks for sharing your story, I’ve shared mine..

          • Sideshow Memo

            You’re an ass. I’m actually telling you something true, jackoff.

          • Bosma

            Hey asshole! I was telling you something true. I thought we were connecting here!!

          • Sideshow Memo

            Sorry. Don’t know who to trust in this den of insipidity.

          • Bosma

            I Fucked your mom..

          • Sideshow Memo

            No you didn’t but if I ever meet you in person it’ll be the last thing you remember clearly I promise you.

          • Bosma

            Maybe I do know you. After all, we both knew someone killed by Ben Gazzara and John Cassavettes.

          • dbtheonly

            Edited your post.

            Rather deflates my joke, but you originally called it Ben Ghazi & that was too good a straight line for me to pass up.

          • Sideshow Memo

            “dubious heritage” (sigh) Once again: The dude has been playing hide the weasel with his birth certificate (and the frank, honest story of his birth) from day one. But let’s say he was born in Hawaii in the hospital that didn’t exist at the time like he says he was. His dad was still a really lousy character (even according to the Harvard administration) and little dude was raised by some other mofo overseas in a country that loves Chicommia, worships Mohammed the Beheader and hates America. I call that a dubious heritage. Does that help?

          • dbtheonly

            Converting “Dreams from my Father” into “Sins from my Father”?

          • Sideshow Memo

            I mean I wouldn’t go that far. But if I were to rewrite that work of fiction by Bill Ayers, I might say I was converting “Dreams from my Father” into “Shit that actually happened and the way it really went down”.

          • dbtheonly

            You’ve got no argument from me if you’re asserting that President Obama did not enjoy a favored upbringing. No silver foot in his mouth for sure.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Wrong again. He was with upper class people all along. He went to exclusive upper class schools everywhere he lived. He lived in upper class neighborhoods even in Indonesia (and most definitely on Oahu), in short it may not have been a foot (or even a spoon) but it was silver. I might say he was born with a silver hammer and sickle in his mouth. That’s fairly standard among the most active on the far Left. If it weren’t for bored rebellious rich kids, we might never have had a communist 20th century.

          • dbtheonly

            “He lived in upper class neighborhoods even in Indonesia”

            You really don’t want to see the lower class neighborhoods in Indonesia.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Right you are. In fact, I really don’t want to see anything in Indonesia at all, ever.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Note the deafening silence in response to the “hand on the tiller” remark. Which side are you on there db (stands for deadbeat, I’m guessing)? Billary or Ohbummer? You a Lizzy Warren man (or woman)? She’s a peach ain’t she. Bit rough on Billary having her swoop in like this but hey, they’ve had their day in the sun and what a day it was. Gave us “the Monica” of course, the finger wag, the definition of the word “is”, genocide in Rwanda, squandered the last of the capital from the Reagan revolution.and so much more.

          • Lady Willpower

            Ahhhh, “dubious heritage.”
            Tell the truth, you’re Jerome Corsi, aren’t you?

          • Sideshow Memo

            Just callin it like I see it lady.

          • That River Gal

            Ah, so you now admit you ARE a Raygun fapper.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Clearly, you’ve been somewhat misguided. You think your opinion of the Gipper is sophisticated and cool. But the disconnect between where you are and the truth is epic.

        • Bosma

          Shorter Troll:
          “I, like all right wingers when they are backed into a corner with logic and facts, really hate when you liberals bring up past events to give context to present events. REAGAN ISN’T PRESIDENT ANYMORE, OBAMA IS (even though I worship Reagan and will always bring him up just as long as it is in a positive light). And speaking of not bringing up the past in context to present events, did you libtards hear that Obama was ranked dead last of all post-WW2 presidents in that one poll that no one will remember or give a shit about in 6 months? Checkmate, liberals…”

          • Sideshow Memo

            People will remember Obama the way they remember when they had cancer.

          • 624LC .

            You shouldn’t say that. You are pretty much describing your birth.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Must be gratifying to you to verbally jack off in public but I find you tedious and annoying.

          • 624LC .

            And I find you much like most of your teachers did…lacking

          • Sideshow Memo

            Hahaha. Lacking in humility. Yup. You gotchad me. But they all gave me hall-passes and As anyway because they didn’t want to hold me back by making me sit through class.

          • 624LC .

            Or maybe they were embarrassed for you. You are not even writing coherent sentences now.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Sorry, multitasking. Closing a quarter-million dollar deal, babysitting my one year-old, and also moshing your brains out in this comment stream. It’s how I roll.

          • feloniousgrammar

            “Babysitting” your one year-old? Hmm.

          • Sideshow Memo

            I know, my wife doesn’t like that word either. Watching then.

          • 624LC .

            Well, blowup dolls are sensitive as you well know, koolaid. And stop staring at kids in the yard, Sandusky. You will creep out your neighbors.

          • Sideshow Memo

            stop mumbling. if you have something to say, man up and say it.

          • 624LC .

            Playing with yourself is not multitasking. And the only quarter million thing you are closing is the number of sperm you have mercifully wasted in a napkin today.

          • Sideshow Memo

            you’re projecting. that’s the only explanation for this.

          • Bosma

            Haha…

          • Lady Willpower

            You forgot to mention how you were nailing Brooklyn Decker and practicing some sweet MMA takedown moves while driving your Maybach.

          • 624LC .

            And jamming with Jay Z while popping bottles at some club. Because that is how the booooyz roll!! Quarter million dollahz! All ya mamas stand up and yollahz! Quarter million dollahz!

          • Sideshow Memo

            Don’t listen to any of that wiener squeezer muzack. Jay Z, Kan Yay, P Diddly. What the crap? That’s culture? That’s art? God Damn, America.

          • Sideshow Memo

            I despise MMA, would never drive a Maybach (VW, both cars) and don’t indulge in adulterous “nailing” like you lefties do all the time.

          • Bosma

            Hahaha. I was waiting for the “Well, I’m actually a very important business man type guy over here”. Bullseye…

          • Sideshow Memo

            What else have you waited for all your life, Bo. I’ll see what I can do to make your dreams come true. Or nah. Forget it. Too busy being an ordinary every day hard-working American.

          • Bosma

            ..who spends an awful lot of time arguing with complete strangers ALL DAY LONG HERE…

          • Sideshow Memo

            I’ve been tied to my computer communicating with parties to a transaction I’m facilitating. Bantering with you lovely people (don’t call yourself a stranger, friend) has helped me keep from getting distracted or bored. But as a matter of fact, I’ve just wrapped up the last set of documents and I’m done for the day so you folks are on your own now. Cheers.

          • Bosma

            The projection is strong with this one…

          • Sideshow Memo

            The force is weak with you though, brother.

          • Lady Willpower

            Only time will tell.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Indeed.

          • Bosma

            …and came out of it better stronger people? Sure, I’ll take that. As opposed to Dubya or Reagan where you don’t remember it because you had Alzheimer’s Disease…

          • Sideshow Memo

            Not sure where you were trying to go here. Try to clear up your syntax and maybe also your dialectic.

        • 624LC .

          Isn’t that where all you assholes go? The amount of dirt you shovel in order to dance with his corpse when it suits you could cover the earth ten times over. Now go back to watching Fox News thisclose and eating your Cheetos.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Fuck off.

          • 624LC .

            You first, dildo.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Sorry, I won’t take orders from a mental skidmark.

          • 624LC .

            Then you don’t talk much to your mom? Shame…

          • Sideshow Memo

            She’s dead you asswarbler.

          • 624LC .

            Well, at least she doesn’t have to apologize for you anymore.

          • Sideshow Memo

            You’re exactly the kind of sewerscum that voted for this administration aren’t you. How do you do it? Live with that smell you give off, I mean? You must have fried your nose snorting Koolaid mix back when you were still human. Oh wait, my bad, your ma was sewerscum too. And your dad was a wannabe dicktater from some third world sewer.

          • 624LC .

            Did you finish high school? You read like you have been chugging vodka and redbull in your parents basement. Who the fuck snorts koolaid? Besides you, I mean?

            Sad…

          • Sideshow Memo

            you lose. that was weak.

          • 624LC .

            Appropriate response to a weak shit like you, Koolaid man.

          • Sideshow Memo

            hahahaha. you still lose. turdhoarder.

    • Bosma

      What does that even mean? Trolls really suck in the use of ‘irony quotes”. Are you suggesting we don’t need a liberal in charge in 2016 based on this foreign crisis or are you suggesting that Obama or presumably Hillary aren’t “progressive” based on your “irony quotes”. I don’t get it. I assume you are a tea bagger, based on the appropriation of the US flag, but like them, you are incoherent. My advice to you is to let the adults handle this. Now write one more post about Benghazi then get the fuck out of here…

      • Sideshow Memo

        No I’m suggesting that the term “Progressive” is a misnomer in that the people who use it to describe themselves all espouse failed European political ideologies from the last century. Also in the fact that although they blindly worship “progress” they pay no attention to whether it’s good progress or bad progress.

        • gocart mozart

          In other words, you’re delusional. Glad we straightened that out.

        • feloniousgrammar

          Be advised that the straw men in your head are taking over. Go outside, get some fresh air, and try not to think about politics. You’re doing it wrong.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Be advised, your gimbal is upside-down and backwards.

        • dbtheonly

          “Progressives…espouse failed European political ideologies from the last century.”

          As opposed to Conservatives who espouse failed European political ideologies from the 19th century.

          • Sideshow Memo

            What you know about American Conservatism would fill…. well, okay it wouldn’t fill anything but I’m sure it impresses your mom.

          • dbtheonly

            I’m sure you’re the fount of all wisdom; but your buzz word pronouncements, lacking specificity, make it difficult to see your point, if any at all, besides watching you bugger up a
            $250,000 deal.

            Also the dirty diaper goes in the trash or laundry. Not posted here.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Like you know anything about anything. Get back to your job search. Your mom wants to rent out your room.

          • dbtheonly

            Trying desperately to get me into the mindless insult game? Does that somehow gives you your jollies?

            Buzz words.

          • Sideshow Memo

            well I figured you’ve already got the mindless part down, maybe throwing some insults at you might jolt you out of your stupor.

          • Bosma

            Your “sideshow” moniker is very apropos, because you are one. Get it? I find it really rich that you would accuse others of being jobless and living at home with their mother, seeing as how you are the troll here and all…

          • Sideshow Memo

            Hey, it’s working! You started thinking. Good for you, Bos. You have a bright future ahead of you.

          • Bosma

            Thinking? No, playing at your level isn’t thinking. Its just snarkiness directed at a delusional amateur surgeon almost millionaire. Next you are going to tell us about how you almost went to the international space station. Go ahead, tell us all about it, Cliff Clavin from Cheers fame….

          • Sideshow Memo

            What I’ve done in my life would not only amaze you, it would overwhelm your very limited capacity for comprehension and intelligent thought.

          • Bosma

            You are putting me to sleep, Cliff Clavin…

          • Sideshow Memo

            Coward. You know you keep your activity private because someday someone’s going to track you down and rip you a couple new ones. If I get bored, I just might do it myself. Accountability for your toxic douchiness will slap you upside what passes for a head on your body one day and then we’ll see how lustily you laugh.

          • Bosma

            Did you check your own privacy settings recently? That is projection on your part. Troll…

          • That River Gal

            You resort to childishness. How….utterly unsurprising.

          • Sideshow Memo

            whatever

          • Lady Willpower

            Awesome, a “your mom” joke. That’s cutting edge stuff right there.

          • That River Gal

            We can’t expect much from a birther, can we?

          • Sideshow Memo

            Weird how you people resort to the word “birther” like that en masse whenever the truth gets too close to your little bird brains. Did you even actually read my comment on his “dubious heritage” or why I call it that? (Maybe you didn’t understand the words I used??)

            I mean I shouldn’t be too surprised. Even on the best of days, getting logic from a lefty is like getting water from a fresh turd, you can get some if you squeeze really hard but you won’t want to swallow it when you do and the process is messy and revolting.

          • Sideshow Memo

            you didn’t get a chance to read the entire moshpit here did you. I didn’t start the “yo mama” crap but I’m not adverse to finishing it.

          • That River Gal

            You’re being far too generous.

          • dbtheonly

            Thank you, but how so?

            Much of what I hear of “conservative economics” is a re-hash of what passed for economic theory in the 1890’s, done up into a power point. Stuart Varney is railing about what occurred in 1914 not 2014.

            But what do you expect; when their main thesis is that the Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression?

    • Scopedog

      I call bulls**t!

      • Sideshow Memo

        Sorry. It’s true. You lose.

        • That River Gal

          You haven’t been very convincing. And by not very, I mean not at all.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Like you’d be convincable even if I was. You’re so stuck on the fantasy world you’ve constructed to explain life that you wouldn’t recognize a paradigm-shifting piece of evidence if you broke your toe on it.

        • Scopedog

          Nice play on “I’m rubber, you’re glue”. And no, YOU are wrong. Always have been.

          • Sideshow Memo

            prove it. how exactly? and conclusory statements don’t count. be specific.

    • That River Gal

      Please elaborate as to why you believe this. Be specific.

      • Sideshow Memo

        Seriously? Okay. Just one “specific” reason of thousands I personally can think of: human trafficking is at an all time high in America and around the world because Progressives, for all their yak yak yak about slavery two hundred years ago, don’t give a dam about it today.

        • feloniousgrammar

          Yes, because anything not being reported on cable news programs isn’t happening, right?

          It ought to concern every person, because it is a debasement of our common humanity. It ought to concern every community, because it tears at our social fabric. It ought to concern every business, because it distorts markets. It ought to concern every nation, because it endangers public health and fuels violence and organized crime. I’m talking about the injustice, the outrage, of human trafficking, which must be called by its true name — modern slavery.”

          – President Barack Obama

          http://www.state.gov/j/tip/

          • Sideshow Memo

            Dunno about cable news. Just judging from what I see in my travels.

          • 624LC .

            From the kitchen and to the sofa? Exciting…

          • Sideshow Memo

            Waddya mean. Your sofa is your kitchen.

          • 624LC .

            You haven’t traveled, closed any deals or have anything worthwhile going on. You are full of shit, which is redundant for you. You do know that Monopoly money isn’t real, right?

          • Sideshow Memo

            Fuck off some more. It didn’t work the first time.

          • 624LC .

            You are a fucking loser, which everyone here agrees with, so it did. Thanks for playing, koolaid.

          • dbtheonly

            Damn those Insurance Companies deciding what policies to write and cancel.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Damn those insolent Americans not wanting single-payer like Europe.

          • dbtheonly

            “Damn those insolent American”

            You really want to go there?

            So what’s your solution to the Health Care Crisis? Please be specific & remember that about a year ago you had significant expenses.

          • Sideshow Memo

            My solution would start with making and promoting a plan for states to enforce laws against hospital over-billing, racketeering between doctors, hospitals and drug companies and against predatory insurance practices. I would deregulate and privatize and require transparency and accountability in all sectors of the industry. On top of all that I would urge Americans to consider the value of character and moral fiber and to govern themselves responsibly and rightly and thereby obviate the need for excessive regulation and law enforcement. How’s that for a start. I most certainly would NOT add another layer of bureaucracy thereby creating a whole new rat hole for corruption and crime to flourish in. BTW, I’ve never used insurance for my medical expenses. I pay them out of pocket.

          • Lady Willpower

            I sincerely hope you never get cancer or anything that requires an extended stay or hospice care. You won’t feel so great about those out-of-pocket expenses then.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Thanks for your sincere well-wishes. Actually though, you’ve hit on one way I govern myself responsibly so as to minimize my need for health care (and incidentally, minimize my burden on those systems). I educate myself about preventive care and healthy eating/living and I do everything I can to stay healthy and treat my own minor ailments. If we all did the same, there might not even be a healthcare crisis.

          • Bosma

            You know that that is bullshit. You have no certainty that doing those things will protect you from disease OR harm from the world. Typical libertarian bullshit. What if you fall off a bike? What if you fall in your bathtub? A car hit and run? A tainted water supply that you were drinking from? A lot of good the freehand of the free market will do you after the non-regulated water supply receives your lawsuit. Tell me more libertarian bullshit from that fantasy land that you think would be so wonderful, that you would never actually want to live in..

          • Sideshow Memo

            You have no clue. I’ve treated plenty of injuries and illnesses on my own in my own house over the years, with first aid supplies from the drugstore and with traditional medicines and herbal remedies. Trust me, you’re the idiot here, not me. I’ve performed minor surgeries on myself and my family and done it all successfully, even had my work complimented by a licensed surgeon. The only things we’ve needed hospitals and doctors for have been major surgical problems and even then the amount of peripheral BS we had to wade through to get that treatment barely made it worth it (not to mention the steep out-of-pocket expense). What did you think people did in this country before Kaiser Permanente or Blue Cross came along?

          • Bosma

            So..you are so business savvy insider, near millionaire YET ALSO living off the grid? Thanks for playing, troll…

          • Sideshow Memo

            Clueless again. The deal I closed today involves a piece of property worth a quarter million. My take home from my work on this deal will be in the four figures, barely enough to cover the piling up bills. If I don’t line up another one pretty quick, we’ll be eating beans and rice again for a while. Why don’t you try a little sincerity and maybe investigate the concept of truth (you know, the kind that isn’t simultaneously untrue) and logic. I live as off the grid as possible because (a) I can’t afford the grid thanks to losing my job and my industry when Ohbummer seized power, (b) I hate the peripheral bs the grid entails, and (c) I enjoy being self-sufficient and knowing that if everything breaks down, I can still take care of me and mine.

          • Bosma

            Why bring up 250,000 dollars then? Why even mention it? Why don’t you try a little sincerity and maybe investigate the concept of truth (you know, the kind that isn’t simultaneously untrue) and logic. I’m not even trying with you anymore. I’m just gonna cut and paste yr own words..

          • Sideshow Memo

            Sorry, that figure has been on my mind and in my face all day long as I process the paperwork of this transaction. You’re right. Could’ve kept that to myself. You could do a helluva lot worse than cutting and pasting my own words. You could be cutting and pasting yours for instance.

          • dbtheonly

            I’d like to add to LW’s & Bosma’s comments that you are just one drunk driver away from a major hospital stay.

            But that’s the point of insurance. Protecting yourself from potential expenses that you can not control.

          • Alex0001

            “Deregulate and privatize….”
            “require transparency and accountability”
            Do you even read what you type or do you just tend to fade in and out?

          • dbtheonly

            That’s one inconsistency.

            I was caught in the buzz word/fuzz word forest of, “I would urge Americans to consider the value of character and moral
            fiber and to govern themselves responsibly and rightly and thereby
            obviate the need for excessive regulation and law enforcement.” Though the RWM Circus’ response to Michelle Obama’s physical fitness & healthy eating initiatives suggests that SM hasn’t followed this logical path either.

          • Sideshow Memo

            Sorry if you can’t get it. I realize you lefties are mentally challenged by your prejudices and so forth.

          • dbtheonly

            “I’ve never used insurance for my medical expenses. I pay them out of pocket.”

            Really?

            How much did that baby cost you?

          • Sideshow Memo

            $15K if you must know.

          • dbtheonly

            The $15k specifically isn’t my business, but glad to know it didn’t bankrupt you. Other folks aren’t so lucky.

            The good news is that with insurance under Obamacare, the next pregnancy will be covered & not nearly as expensive out-of-pocket. And if, God Forbid, there are serious complications, you won’t be financially ruined.

          • That River Gal

            As if single payer would have passed. Give me a break. I would LOVE that.

          • Sideshow Memo

            I know. I’d hate it. And the difference between you and me is that I actually know what I’m talking about. I’ve lived and worked in a single payer system. I can tell you exactly how it is elsewhere and how it would play out here whereas you can’t even tell me what was good about where we started in America in terms of healthcare or why there might be elements of that early approach we should return to.

          • That River Gal

            So should Obama have the government control the insurance companies? Some of us are thrilled to now have health insurance thanks to the ACA. So hey, they GET a doctor. Next?

          • Sideshow Memo

            “Some of us”?? What a crock. Most of us have lost our insurance plans or had our premiums increased by two or even three hundred percent (my brother). Most of us lost our doctors (my wife and kids) or now have to shell out huge monthly amounts for treatment that was covered before (my father-in-law). My father-in-law used to get drugs for his chronic degenerative nerve condition (genetic) with a modest monthly co-pay. Now he’d have to shell out $15000 for it monthly, which he doesn’t have. For the past three months, since his plan cut him off, he’s lived in debilitating pain that is likely to cost him his job, if not his sanity. All that is a direct result of your precious “ACA” also known as Ohbummercare.

            I bet when you say “some of us” that doesn’t even include you.

          • That River Gal

            Oops.

        • That River Gal

          Pardon me? Progressives don’t give a damn? You are absolutely deluded or lying.

          • Sideshow Memo

            So what exactly have the Progressive narcissists in the White House done about human trafficking in the last six years? “Be specific”. Besides having a wave of children trafficked in over the southern border as a means of coercing their political agenda?

  • villemar

    We aren’t going to intervene militarily. Since almost 200 Europeans were killed however, including +-150 Dutch citizens, I think the EU nations will stop pussyfooting around and hemming and hawing about sanctions now, which is a better alternative. Now they have some skin in the game.

  • Scopedog

    Well, President Obama is _not_ “just like Bush”, despite the codswallop that’s spouted out on the Left and despite the Right’s insistence that he’s a weak-kneed but bloodthirsty warmonger. Even though the shooting down of this Malaysian 777 is a brutal and callous act, I do not see the US or NATO entering into a shooting war with Russia over this. We didn’t open fire thirty-one years ago with KAL Flight 007.

    • Sideshow Memo

      Got nothing to do with restraint or anything like that. Got everything to do with the fact that Ohbummer’s weakened and over-taxed the military to the point where we’d get our asses handed to us by Putin if we tried to intervene.

      • Scopedog

        You mean the military that Bush Jr. fucked over and threw into the meat grinder with the bollixed war in Afghanistan and the totally useless invasion of Iraq? Not to mention screwing over our soldiers?

        Put down the bong, stop trying to rewrite history, and pull your head out of the GOP’s lying ass. Knock it off or else I’ll sprinkle salt on you and watch you melt.

        • Sideshow Memo

          you really have no clue. this forum (and this publication) are completely worthless.

          • Scopedog

            Quit talking about yourself, asswipe.

            And ditch the superciliuos attitude while you’re at it.

  • http://dadorq.tumblr.com/ Da Dorq

    Well, the GOP is already popping its die-agra pills by the handful, working up to a massive thrill-kill-war boner, because it never met an excuse to go obliterate people it didn’t love and want to procreate with, so sensible people will have their work cut out for them in trying to cock block these insatiable deathmongers.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      If the MSM bring out an endless stream of these frothing at the mouth sabre rattlers that demand war onto their news programs to opine their reasons, then the adults will lose again.

      • feloniousgrammar

        Well, I’m thinking that the airwaves could be flooded with Joint Chiefs of Staff and other Pentagon officials, career soldiers, and veterans who want to make it clear that they aren’t here to play Little Tin Soldiers for the old men and the media who think of war as blood sport. And since the GOP is so up in arms over the problems that the V.A. is having, then perhaps they could get busy passing bills with funding to rectify the many unique and life-changing problems that all these stop-lossed and raped members of the Armed Forces are having to deal with with little timely assistance.

        I’d like to see them start with declaring that anyone who served honorably for a year or more; but was then kicked out with the diagnosis of “personality disorder” must be reinstated, enrolled in the V.A., and have that diagnosis removed. There are a lot of veterans who can’t be veterans because the military’s response to them reporting a rape was diagnosing them with a pathological disorder that is wholly incompatible with working well with others, much less getting through boot camp.

  • docbets

    Indeed. Well put.

    There is so much strength in restraint, which the babblers don’t apprehend and too few others can’t appreciate.