You Won’t F**king Believe Why This Republican Congressman Wants To Investigate Google

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) said that he wants a special congressional investigation of Google because of recent a issue with the company’s search algorithm that’s affecting a single movie.

That just so happens to be America: Imagine a World Without Her, (which is a very bad movie) by conservative pundit, filmmaker, and campaign finance violator Dinesh D’Souza. D’Souza and his Team America have been on Google’s case about the problem, with Google calmly explaining that ‘America’ is “a common term and appears in many movie titles,” and that its database hadn’t been fully updated yet to display the movie’s local showtimes.

Such a measured and straightforward response from the tech giant, however, wasn’t enough placate Rohrabacher, who told The Hollywood Reporter,

“This doesn’t deserve to be ignored. We need to verify the statistics in some way, and I will be suggesting the appropriate committee or subcommittee have some kind of hearing on this,” Rohrbacher [sic] said. “We know there were significant incidences, and that would suggest there was intent behind Google’s nonperformance.”

This statement indicates two things: 1) Darrell Issa really must be that busy issuing ridiculous subpoenas since he didn’t come up with this hearing idea himself, and 2) Rohrabacher is a hypocritical gasbag.

That’s because Rohrabacher actually opposes net neutrality. In 2006, he voted against an amendment to a bill that would have ensured net neutrality by prohibiting broadband service providers from giving preferential treatment from certain types of content, like that which is paid for by large corporations, who can squeeze out the content of smaller competitors. And in 2011, he and his fellow Republicans passed a resolution that would have prohibited the Federal Communications Commission from regulating broadband industry practices, which would include net neutrality. (The resolution was not approved by the Senate and in May 2014 the FCC voted to bring net neutrality one step closer to reality.)

So here’s a guy who’s so indignant at Google’s incompetence/role in the vast liberal conspiracy, that he wants to use federal resources to find out just why a private company hasn’t been able to fully accommodate a single film in its search engine results. But at the same time he doesn’t think Congress should be in the business of telling broadband providers (which Google also is) who they can and can’t discriminate against when it comes to online content.

As easy as it might be to dismiss Rohrabacher’s hearing proposal as nonsense that will never become a reality, one can never be too sure when it comes to this House of Representatives.

James Madison once wrote that the whole point of having a republic is so that it can “refine and enlarge the public views, by passing them through the medium of a chosen body of citizens, whose wisdom may best discern the true interest of their country, and whose patriotism and love of justice will be least likely to sacrifice it to temporary or partial considerations.”

And Dana Rohrabacher will be damned if he’s going to be part of anything like that.

h/t: Mediaite

  • Christopher Foxx

    and 2) Rohrabacher is a hypocritical gasbag.

    Well that’s a given, given the (R) after his name.

  • ninjaf

    But the mere threat from Rep. Rohrabacher will help increase the search engine visibility of the movie. The increased media coverage will give the movie a higher relevance in the search engine results pages in Google’s own algorithm. Sadly, just informing people of this kind of nonsense gives them a ranking boost that they wouldn’t have had otherwise.

    Can we Santorum this movie at all?

    • Magginkat

      You can go to Google and write a ‘review’ of the movie. I plan to do just that and I have not seen nor do I plan to see that crap.

  • JozefAL

    Perhaps Mr Rohrabacher could take a few minutes and tell us WHICH specific Constitutional power grants him the authority to take this action.

    I thought the Teabaggers wasted days after taking power in 2011 allegedly reading the Constitution on the floor of the House and insisted that NO measure could be brought forward for House consideration without a FULL, DETAILED explanation of how the Constitution would authorize it. Google is a private industry. Theaters are owned by private citizens. Theatergoers are private citizens. Computer users are private citizens. Where does the Constitution provide for the House inserting itself into the affairs of private citizens.

  • feloniousgrammar

    Is he, like, always on the rag, or something?

  • maccamcfc

    Why don’t they try and get something done that actually has a genuine effect on normal peoples lives in stead of partisan meaningless nonsense, I am English so excuse my naivety.

  • Jake

    Err…. Impeach Google! Did I get that right Rush?

  • moshe ghomert

    I support Rohrbacher becoming the first inhabitant on Gingrich’s Moon Colony!

  • http://vermillionbrain.blogspot.com/ Vermillion

    Well, I mean, he could always try Bing.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAAAAAA!!!!

    Sorry, but seriously, this is stupid.

  • disqus_Njs8lVnwOT

    If they think THIS is persecution, what are they gonna think when they all get thrown out on their asses and told not to come back next year?

  • tjuarez

    Best thing to ever happen to Long Beach was when we scraped off this nutbag by redistricting and replacing him with Alan Lowenthal.

    A relative has Tourettes and I once wrote Rohrabacher to pass on an entreaty from the Tourettes Society of America for their members to ask their representatives to increase funding to the NIH for Tourettes research. That bastard Rohrabacher actually wrote back just to tell me that Congress shouldn’t pick “winners and losers” regarding medical research. M*****f***er – why bother to reply at all?

    Truly the douchebagiest of douchebags.

    • Aaron Litz

      What a complete ass. So, Tourette Syndrome isn’t worthy of medical research in his eyes? Maybe because we make such a great punchline in lame movies, all of us with TS always shouting out obscenities is just terrific comedy for him, I guess (coprolalia is so HILARIOUS, after all.)

      Imagine the sensation of trying to hold in a sneeze… except the sneeze is actually a weird and embarrassing movement or vocalization, it is very exhausting to hold it in, and eventually it HAS to come out. That is what it’s like to live with TS, holding in a sneeze all day long, because you’re horribly embarrassed to let out that “sneeze,” and even when you do manage to hold it in for a while it keeps coming back over and over and over and over all day without stopping and it makes everyone uncomfortable to be around you (and keeps you awake at night.)

      I only get a few hours of sleep every few days because of tics keeping me awake.

  • formerlywhatithink

    Jeezus, is there anything Republicans won’t pretend is persecution?

    • D_C_Wilson

      Actual persecution.

  • dbtheonly

    Your tax dollars at work.