Thanks, Obama! Unemployment Falls To 6.1% Everywhere Except On Fox News

The news that June's unemployment rate fell to 6.1% is getting all sorts of play, along with the Dow's record surge above 17,000, but a funny thing happened over on Fox News.
The news that June's unemployment rate fell to 6.1% is getting all sorts of play, along with the Dow's record surge above 17,000, but a funny thing happened over on Fox News.
ObamaFox

The political news of the day is the just-released June jobs report, in which a better-than-expected 288,000 jobs were added, bringing the unemployment rate down to 6.1%, its lowest level since just before the 2008 economic meltdown. From the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 288,000 in June, and the unemployment rate declined to 6.1 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains were widespread, led by employment growth in professional and business services, retail trade, food services and drinking places, and health care.

The decrease in unemployment was particularly concentrated among two groups:

Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rates for adult women (5.3 percent) and blacks (10.7 percent) declined in June, and the rate increased for teenagers (21.0 percent). The rates for adult men (5.7 percent), whites (5.3 percent), and Hispanics (7.8 percent) showed little change. The jobless rate for Asians was 5.1 percent (not seasonally adjusted), little changed from a year earlier.

That news is getting all sorts of play, along with the Dow's record surge above 17,000, but a funny thing happened over on Fox News. While the rest of the world was celebrating that 6.1% unemployment rate, here's what the unemployment rate was in Fox World:

foxrate

Fox's half-empty glass consists of the labor force participation rate, which they failed to tell their viewers has not changed in three months:

In June, the civilian labor force participation rate was 62.8 percent for the third consecutive month. The employment-population ratio, at 59.0 percent, showed little change over the month but is up by 0.3 percentage point over the year.

Curiously, all of those emails I get from Republican press shops dried up this morning, with nary a reaction from the likes of Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) or Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), but I did get a nice note from Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.):

“Today’s employment report is very good news. The jobs numbers released today reflect the 52nd straight month of private sector job growth. But while it is encouraging that our economy continues to strengthen, there are still too many middle class Nevadans and Americans struggling to make ends meet. Democrats have proposed common sense policies to give Americans the fair shot they deserve. Now it is time for my Republican colleagues to step up, help the middle class, and pass these important measures.

“Over a year ago the Senate passed bipartisan, comprehensive immigration reform. The Senate’s legislation would have reduced the deficit by $200 billion over the next ten years, more than all waiting House bills combined. Additionally, comprehensive immigration reform would have added an average of 121,000 more jobs per year over the next ten years. Unfortunately, House Republicans, under the influence of the Tea Party, refused to bring it up for a vote. Their refusal is costing our economy added growth that we need.

“In the coming weeks Senate Democrats will continue to fight for the middle class. I hope Republicans will join us so we can continue to ensure that all Americans receive a fair shot.”

President Obama reacted, briefly, to the jobs report this morning, praising the "enormous strides" the economy has made since 2008. Not on Fox, Mr. President. Not on Fox.