S.E. Cupp's Atheism Rant Is From Another Planet

Virtually everything she says in this 90 second clip is straight-up false.
Virtually everything she says in this 90 second clip is straight-up false.
SECupp

Conservative S.E. Cupp of CNN makes for one terrible atheist. In 2009, she gave an interview on C-SPAN that would befuddle the finest team of doctors the field of psychoanalysis could offer. During one exchange, she claimed she'd never want an atheist president because such a person wouldn't believe in a higher power -- the very kind she doesn't think exists in the first place. And if you think that can't possibly be her position, see for yourself (15:20-17:00).

Now she's back at it. The atheist who wrote a book called Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack On Christianity, stars in this short clip where virtually every single thing she says is just demonstrably false. Not arguably false. But false, as in fact-not-opinion false, up to and including her claim that conservatives welcome atheists.

"I don't believe in god, but I'm not mad at him."

- Why would you be? It would incomprehensible if you were, edging on something akin to Moore's paradox: I don't believe it's raining outside, but it is.

"It seems like there's this idea perpetuated by atheists that atheists are somehow disenfranchised or left out of the political process and I just -- I don't find that to be the case."

- Number of Representatives and Senators currently serving in Congress openly as atheists: 0 out of 535.

- Percentage of Americans who say they'd be "less likely" to vote for an atheist candidate according to a May 2014 Pew Poll: 53.

-By contrast, the same poll finds just 35% would be less likely to vote for an adulterer.

"There's another myth that conservatism is somehow hostile to atheism. I also don't find that to be the case. I'm a conservative atheist. I've felt very welcomed by this party."

- According to the aforementioned Pew Poll, "70% of Republicans say they would be less likely to support a candidate who does not believe in God."

- Here's 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney talking about how important god is to the Republican Party.

- Here's 2012 GOP presidential runner-up Rick Santorum slamming atheism.

- Here's 2012 GOP also-ran Newt Gingrich saying atheists shouldn't be president.

- Here's the most recent national Republican Party platform, which mentions "god" 10 times.

- Here's presumptive 2016 GOP presidential candidate Marco Rubio saying that belief in god "is the most important value of all."

- Here's presumptive 2016 GOP presidential candidate Rand Paul calling for god in the classroom.

- Here's presumptive 2016 GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz saying he's taken on atheists before.

"In fact I'd go so far as to say conservatism is far more intellectually honest and respectful of atheism than liberalism has been."

- Recall the aforementioned 70% of Republicans who would be less likely to vote for an atheist and compare it with just the 42% of Democrats who say the same.

- And if what Cupp means is that conservative political philosophy (in the abstract) isn't inherently hostile to atheism, she'd be right, but then -- as we are about to see -- she does not use this standard when it comes to liberalism.

"For conservatives, atheism is something that is tolerated, respected; we appreciate an intellectual diversity."

- Except the majorities of Republicans who believe climate change is a hoax, evolution is bunk, and the age of the earth is less than 10,000 years. But climate change is real, evolution is real, and the earth is 4.5 billion years old (and the universe is 13.8 billion years old).

"And in contrast on the Left it seems as thought there is this knee-jerk embrace of what is more like a militant hostility -- a reaction against intellectual diversity. It's exclusionary. Bill Maher thinks 95% of the world has a neurological disorder. I don't think you'd find that on the right, and for that reason -- I'll say it -- I think our atheists are better than yours."

- Did you notice that bait-and-switch? Cupp just claimed that conservatives are more tolerant of atheists than liberals. But now "intellectual diversity" is no longer a stand-in for atheism, but instead religion.

- Truth be told, religion isn't a matter of intellectual diversity, anyway. Here it becomes too tempting to quote Thomas Paine:

The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.

- The Left as a whole (as proven above) is far more tolerant of atheists than the Right. They are also more tolerant of religious people than conservatives are of atheists. Despite the fact that 70% of Republicans would be less likely to vote for an atheist, only 27% of Democrats say they'd be less likely to vote for an evangelical Christian. Thus, Maher is an aberration.

****

S.E. Cupp says conservatives are tolerant of atheists, but she does so using literally no objective criteria and literally no evidence. On the other hand, what's been presented here are facts and nothing but facts.

And so the only thing left to do is to wait for Cupp to respond with a fact-filled rebuttal.