Quote of the Day: Alabama Wants To Ignore the Federal Government Because God Says So

What God giveth Alabama let no man take away.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
What God giveth Alabama let no man take away.
Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 2.37.52 PM

"Who has the right to take what God’s given a state?"

-- Alabama Public Service Commission commissioner-elect Chip Beeker, standing against new national EPA regulations by extolling the virtues of God-given coal

At a news conference yesterday -- because apparently Alabama's elected officials are beyond public embarrassment -- Chip Beeker and the equally unfortunately named PSC president Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh cited God's will as the reason they want to defy the federal government.

The EPA has put into place new carbon pollution measures aimed at decreasing emissions nationwide 30-percent over the next 16 years. The problem is that for Alabama to come into compliance with the new restrictions, it would have to cuts its own emissions by more than a quarter -- and Alabama is a state that relies heavily on coal and coal dollars.

Hence, you get these two clowns actually standing in front of a bunch of cameras and microphones and invoking the name of God in the hope that he'll, I guess, smite the feds.

"We will not stand for what they are doing to our way of life in Alabama," said Cavanaugh. “I hope all the citizens of Alabama will be in prayer that the right thing will be done."

You know, I couldn't agree more with that quote up top. God has given Alabama an abundance of stupidity. Who are we to try to take that away from them?

(h/t Salon/Alabama.com)