Ok Liberals, It's Time For Us To Give Glenn Beck a Little Credit For Once

Even if you're not a big fan of Glenn Beck, he deserves praise for doing something that even many immigration reform advocates wouldn't think of doing.
Even if you're not a big fan of Glenn Beck, he deserves praise for doing something that even many immigration reform advocates wouldn't think of doing.
GlennBeck

Glenn Beck is no fan of liberals, and liberals aren't fans of his. But in the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, Beck warrants props for doing the exact opposite of what a screaming pack of protesters did last week in California. In that ugly episode, three busloads of young immigrants who had crossed the U.S.-Mexico border illegally had to turn back en route to a Border Patrol facility because an angry mob blocked their path while chanting “Go home!,” “We want to be safe,” and “USA! USA!”

Now the easiest way for a guy like Beck to elicit nods of agreement from listeners would be to piggyback onto the protesters' cause -- if yelling at children can be called that -- and decry those who jump the border into the U.S. illegally.

But that's not what happened.

Speaking on TheBlaze TV, Beck announced that on July 19, he and a group of lawmakers, clergy, and others were heading to the horrendously under-supplied immigration detention facility at the Border Patrol station McAllen, Texas:

We’re going to fill some tractor-trailers with food, with water. The churches have asked us if we could bring teddy bears and soccer balls, so we’ve loaded up a whole tractor-trailer of nothing but teddy bears and soccer balls. And then I’m going to go serve breakfast and lunch, and I’m going to help unload these trucks, hot meals for 3,000. That’s what we’re doing.”

His reasoning was simple, and something that could have easily come from the mouth of a liberal:

"Through no fault of their own, they are caught in political crossfire. And while we continue to put pressure on Washington and change its course of lawlessness, we must also help. It is not either, or. It is both. We have to be active in the political game, and we must open our hearts.

To which he added, "I've never taken a position more deadly to my career than this. And I have never ever taken a position that is more right than this."

Beck has always been a showman and a self-described "rodeo clown." And this plan of his is certainly an act of showmanship.

But it's also an act of kindness -- the sort of which is noticeably absent on the Right as evidenced by the protesters in Murrieta and conservative talk radio. Although Beck himself is staunchly opposed to the kind of immigration reform proposals floated by Democrats and Republicans alike, his willingness to separate policy from people -- and to do what many liberals wouldn't even think of doing -- is a nice reminder that Glenn Beck has the ability to pleasantly surprise us on occasion.