How Fox News and Other Media Would Cover the "Rapture" On HBO's 'Leftovers'

The rapture-like whisking away of millions of people portrayed on HBO's "The Leftovers" gets the "what if" treatment in this news media whip-around.
The rapture-like whisking away of millions of people portrayed on HBO's "The Leftovers" gets the "what if" treatment in this news media whip-around.
busey

Right now, HBO is using a show called The Leftovers to fill the hole in our hearts where Game of Thrones should be, and while it remains to be seen how successful it will be at that particular mission, the show's premise raises the question (spoiler alert): How would the mainstream media cover the "Sudden Departure" of two percent of the Earth's population?

There was one bit of amusing media criticism in the pilot, when Justin Theroux's police chief is pounding beers on the third anniversary of the so-called "Sudden Departure," the mysterious disappearance of over 100 million people. An unnamed cable channel is playing in the bar, and as a couple of pundits fight it out. The punchline to the scene is great, but it's also a sly commentary our celebrity-obsessed culture.

Naturally, this leads to the question of how actual media outlets would cover the "Sudden Departure," and luckily, we have the answer.

SALON

The chosen uniforms of the "Guilty Remnant" cult won't sit well:

salon2

THE DAILY CALLER

Only Tucker Carlson's baby can truly convey the weight of this loss:

daily caller2

FOX NEWS

Trust the Fair and Balanced network to try and find a silver lining:

fox

MSNBC

This screenshot is from the three-year anniversary broadcast of Ronan Farrow Daily, during which someone almost notices the host was one of the departed.

ronanfarrow

CNN

And on the three-year anniversary of the Sudden Departure, CNN marks the occasion in the only way it knows how.

cnn