CNBC "Expert" Says Carbon Dioxide is Just Like "the Poor Jews under Hitler"

Thanks to Princeton University Professor William Happer who, on CNBC today, cleared it up for us.
Thanks to Princeton University Professor William Happer who, on CNBC today, cleared it up for us.
cnbc_holocaust_denier

I had no idea that Jews and CO2 had anything in common, so thanks to Princeton University Professor William Happer who, on CNBC today, cleared it up for me. Responding to a question from Andrew Ross Sorkin, Happer reiterated a 2009 comment that the greenhouse gas CO2 is just like the "poor Jews under Hitler."

You know, I get called a denier. And anyone who objects to all of the hype gets called a denier -- that's supposed to make me a Holocaust denier. You know, I'm getting tired of that. And, uh, the comment I made was that the demonization of carbon dioxide is like the demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler. Carbon dioxide is actually a benefit to the world, and so were the Jews.

It's worth noting that Happer was introduced at the beginning of the segment as a climate change expert. I'm not sure how that could possibly be true given that CO2 is totally not a "benefit to the world," considering how the volume of CO2 being injected into the atmosphere is absolutely contributing to a nearly irreversible and increasingly dangerous warming of the climate.

In and of itself, CO2 isn't bad. That's true. But the unprecedented level of atmospheric CO2 being measured today is already creating record high and record low temperatures and the climate reacts to the catastrophic imbalance.

All of that is beside the point, however, since Happer invoked Hitler and the Nazis. Godwin's Law dictates that he automatically loses the debate and shouldn't be taken seriously. On a more serious level, how tone deaf is it that he fails to understand how this could be seriously offensive to Jews, not to mention the rest of us? The vast consensus is that CO2 levels are precipitating a global crisis, and he compared this gas -- in the present tense -- with Jews, and that climate scientists are like Hitler. By the way, saying CO2 is beneficial, just like the Jews, doesn't really make it better. It's sort of like saying, "AR-15s with extended magazines are a benefit to the world, just like the Jews."

I'm not the first to write this, but it bears repeating: the only thing like the Jews are the Jews. The only thing like the Holocaust was the Holocaust. And the only thing that's like Hitler was Hitler. That said, a denier is a denier. If you deny the existence of climate change, then suggest those who concur with scientific consensus are like Hitler and the Holocaust, don't get all pissy-pants when it's inferred that you're a denier of both.