The Vice President Goes Full Biden On Dick Cheney

Joe Biden takes Dick Cheney out to the woodshed for suggesting that military spending should take precedence above all else.
Joe Biden takes Dick Cheney out to the woodshed for suggesting that military spending should take precedence above all else.
Malarkey

Vice President Joe Biden took aim at Sith Lord Dick Cheney on Wednesday at a gathering of young progressives, slamming his predecessor for insisting that the military budget "ought to be our top priority for spending. Not food stamps, not highways, or anything else." In his response to this Roman-eque recipe for how to destroy one's own empire, Biden was direct:

"[T]his idea of it’s somehow inherently more important to spend money on the military than on domestic needs is a policy I reject, I reject out of hand." He later added, "I don’t take a backseat to anyone, including Vice President Cheney, on the issue of our military. I know what it’s like to have a son stationed in Iraq..."

That was a nice poke at Cheney -- a chickenhawk who received five draft deferments during the Vietnam war because, he once said, "I had other priorities in the '60s than military service." Thus, the military is a priority for Cheney as long as it doesn't involve him (or maybe someone he cares about) actually serving.

But if you want more than a poke, look no further this spectacular montage of a smug Joe Biden going full Biden on Dick Cheney on the Sunday talk shows a few years back courtesy of The Week: