Dear Congressman Steve King: WTF Is a "Rape Path"?

Another Republican brings up rape, and what he was discussing had nothing to do with sexual assault.
Another Republican brings up rape, and what he was discussing had nothing to do with sexual assault.
SteveKing

Iowa Republicans are in the news for all the wrong reasons right now. That would include Republican Rep. Steve King, who on CNN's New Day on Wednesday said something so bizarre, it's literally unbelievable that host Chris Cuomo didn't ask him just what the hell it was that he meant:

"I think we should fix it. I think we should first articulate this clearly. This is a man-caused disaster, and the man that caused it is Barack Obama, with his DACA policies and his Morton memos, and the advertisement that has been such a huge magnet that have caused these families to give their daughters birth control pills and send them down a rape path all the way through Mexico, and it’s a death path on the death train.”

Did I mention I can't believe Cuomo acted like these words befitting a paranoid schizophrenic off his meds didn't just come from the mouth of a United States congressman? Of course, it is a morning show, so perhaps Cuomo didn't want to press King on the "rape path" issue for the sake of  the few small children at home cruelly left in front of CNN as their parents got ready for work.

Anyway, a Google search for "rape path" shockingly revealed few results. However, "rape trail" yielded more, and seems to be understood to mean an unsafe area in which to walk, especially for women at night. Apparently King is implying that Mexico is filled with rapists, but for what it's worth, available data indicates that the United States has a rape rate double that of Mexico's.

King is just the latest Republican with rape on the mind. That he was addressing an issue like immigration and border security and use it as an opportunity to mention sexual assault is a testament to Republicans' ability to find new and creative ways of just sliding 'rape' right in there because hey, it's no big deal.

h/t: Mediaite