The Daily Banter Mail Bag: Tough Talkin' Obama, Alex Jones is Nuts and Advice for Our Younger Selves

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss Obama's tough talk, Alex Jones' madness and what we'd say to our younger selves.
In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss Obama's tough talk, Alex Jones' madness and what we'd say to our younger selves.
ObamaAngryHandsinBoston10-16-10Applewht

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss Obama's tough talk, Alex Jones' madness and what we'd say to our younger selves.

The questions:

1. It feels like President Obama taking the gloves off when it comes to his comments on the Republicans. It's like he knows he doesn't have anything to lose and they're going to beat him up anyway so he's just coming at them. With the GOP filing lawsuits and talking about impeachment (CRAZY) do you think he can rally the country around him, or at least make an effective stand against the right?
-- Steve

Ben: I think the more he fights the idiot right, the more he'll find the country getting behind him. Obama can be infuriating sometimes - his coolness borders on the apathetic (or at least it appears to), and he has suffered from a lack of passion. When he comes out swinging, the left loves it and the right respects him. They may not like it, but it's the only language they understand. In my view, Obama needs to do what he did on the debt ceiling at the beginning of the year - call them out for every stupid bullshit thing they do, and be prepared to go all the way in opposing them. Will it work all the time? Who knows, but nothing else has, so it's worth doing.

Chez: I'm glad to see him do it. It's honestly about time. He's not dealing with people who want to compromise for the good of the country and who are the least bit interested in actual governance. The Republicans have showed themselves, since the very beginning of Obama's presidency, to want nothing other than to thwart him at every turn. They will allow him no victories or even partial victories that they can also attach their names to and put in the win column. Now, will his standing up to them rally Americans? I don't know. I think the political press loves conflict so they'll keep the narrative going that Obama's screwing up and the GOP is too. Will his tough talk be effective against the right? I'm not even sure it matters. Nothing will convince them so the best he can do at this point is call them out on being the children they are.

Bob: He'll always have the opportunity to rally half the country around him, but never the other half. Half of America will never give an inch nor will they give up the initiative in relentlessly attacking him for everything, including policies they themselves once supported. His best bet is to speak directly to the left, the middle and, in general, the Normals. The rest are too far down the Obama Derangement rabbit hole.

2. Alex Jones' new conspiracy theory about Michelle Obama is without a doubt the most insane thing I have ever heard. Where can he go from this? How can he top himself?
-- Trish

Chez: I'd answer but I know whatever lunacy I can come up with as a joke he'll eventually top it.

Bob: There's a tiny, naked, time traveling alien living in his head, named "Tony," and he feeds it Reese's Pieces which he jams into his ears with a chop stick.

Ben: I can't decide whether Alex Jones is a serious threat to America, or a rodeo clown we should all enjoy laughing at. These days, I'm erring towards the latter. The guy really is something special - he's been spouting gibberish for decades now, and has shown absolutely no ability to evolve past the rantings of a pubescent teenager. I hear he said something about Michelle Obama, but I haven't paid it any attention.

3. I saw a viral quiz on Facebook this week that asked "In two words what would you say to your younger self if you could go back in time"? What would your answer be?
-- Samantha

Bob: Quit smoking. (I quit in 2007, but I wish I had done it a lot earlier than that.)

Chez: Ignore infatuation.

Ben: Shut up.