CRINGE-WORTHY VIDEO: Tea Party Congressman Questions U.S. Government Officials, Mistaking Them for Foreign Citizens

Yesterday during a hearing on relations with India, Clawson, a freshman congressman obviously, addressed two senior U.S. government officials, Nisha Biswal and Arun Kumar, as if they're representatives of the government of India.
Yesterday during a hearing on relations with India, Clawson, a freshman congressman obviously, addressed two senior U.S. government officials, Nisha Biswal and Arun Kumar, as if they're representatives of the government of India.
clawson_india

Rep. Curt Clawson (R-FL) should pay better attention during hearings conducted by the House Foreign Affairs Committee, especially since he's a member who gets to ask questions. Yesterday during a hearing on relations with India, Clawson, a freshman congressman obviously, addressed two senior U.S. government officials, Nisha Biswal and Arun Kumar, as if they're representatives of the government of India.

CLAWSON: I'm familiar with your country; I love your country. And I understand the complications of so many languages, and so many cultures, and so many histories all rolled up in one. So just as your capital is welcome here to produce good paying jobs in the U.S., I like our capital to be welcome there, and there to be freedom of capital, so that both sides are on the same territory. And I ask cooperation and commitment and priority from your government in so doing. Can I have that?

[pregnant pause]

BISWAL: I think your question is to the Indian government, and we certainly share your sentiments and we will certainly advocate that on behalf of the U.S. government.

CLAWSON: Of course.

Whoops. Clawson evidently went on an on, according to Foreign Policy magazine, about his knowledge of India's culture and Bollywood movies. No surprise that Clawson is a tea party Republican who's only held his office since June.

Ah yes. Florida.

(h/t Wilson Valdez)