CNN's Ashleigh Banfield Just Dropped a Reality Bomb On Immigrant-Haters

We'd say she just dropped the mic, but there's now a big crater where the arguments of the "just send 'em home" crowd used to be.
We'd say she just dropped the mic, but there's now a big crater where the arguments of the "just send 'em home" crowd used to be.
banfield

The debate over the current crisis involving unaccompanied children crossing the border has been covered with the usual conflict-driven noise, but the voices dominating the mainstream media have been hateful anti-immigrant protesters, and people trying to appease them, or pass their hatefulness off as legitimate concern over policy.

That's why it was so refreshing to see an anchor at the home of "both sides" balance, CNN, offer up a blistering rebuke to the "send 'em all home" crowd. At the end of a segment on the crisis, Legal View's Ashleigh Banfield just kind of lost it on the anti-immigrant trolls she inevitably expected to hear from after she dared to praise the notion of due process. I don't know about you, but it made me want to stand up and cheer.

"For any you out there about to tweet me saying that I think immigration is just fine, and they should all be let over the border, stop right there. That's not what this is about. If you've ever been in a war zone, and I have, and I have seen refugees pouring over borders, half their families murdered, the other half tortured, they're running for their lives, many of them women and children, it is devastating. It's devastating. And God help if you're ever in need of help and you show up and there's a bus telling you to get out. This is America."

It's almost too perfect to add anything to, so I will only say this: In every story I've heard coming from these children and families, they are fleeing very real danger, so while we don't want to encourage people to put their kids on top of freight trains, there is no reason for the White House to claim that most of these kids will be sent back. I hope they aren't, and I think the White House ought to get these people used to the idea that they might not.

This is America, indeed.