Chicago South Side Resident on Gun Violence: "It's a Nightmare"

"As a resident of the south side, I'm living with this daily. Just this morning, a mother of five was shot and killed on the inbound Dan Ryan Expressway. She is the second to die by gunfire in her family; her younger brother was killed just under a year ago."
"As a resident of the south side, I'm living with this daily. Just this morning, a mother of five was shot and killed on the inbound Dan Ryan Expressway. She is the second to die by gunfire in her family; her younger brother was killed just under a year ago."
Chicago

A reader hailing from Chicago's South Side commented on our post about the city's unrelenting gun violence that puts it on par with actual war zones:

As a resident of the south side, I'm living with this daily. Just this morning, a mother of five was shot and killed on the inbound Dan Ryan Expressway. She is the second to die by gunfire in her family; her younger brother was killed just under a year ago. It's a nightmare. So many of us are dumbfounded on what to do. People have done tons of prayer vigils, there are supposedly more police walking beats and the killings go on. From my perspective, this all escalated with the demolition of the projects. There was little thought put into where these people would go and the conflicts that would arise between warring gangs in these new neighborhoods. In my opinion, there is also the aging of all the "crack babies" of the 90s who are now teenagers and young adults. These kids seem to have something missing in their hearts. You can look in their eyes and see they expect no future. It's beyond sad. I've lived in this city practically all my life, 50 years of it in the same house and I'm now afraid (where I've never been scared before) just to go from work to home. The poverty in some neighborhoods probably feeds some of this, but it's more than that. There are too many grandmothers raising children because the parents have their own issues. Too many single mothers and missing fathers. Too damn many guns which are far to easy to acquire. Guns have only been legal here for the past couple years (the city lost all court cases trying to keep them out), but you can purchase one just outside city limits which can be across the street depending on where you live. I am so disheartened today.

On Tuesday on the South and West side of Chicago, 9 people were hurt and 3 died including a 17 year old boy just about to start his college orientation. According to the Chicago Tribune, here's what happened in Chicago in the hours after the killings:

•  A 25-year-old woman was killed in a shooting on the Dan Ryan Expressway about 4 a.m.

•  Two people were shot about 3:15 a.m. in the 4900 block of North Lamon Avenue, police said. A 26-year-old man was shot in the leg and was taken to Our Lady of the Resurrection Hospital, and a 20-year-old woman was shot in the hand and the shoulder and taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

• About 10:25 p.m., two boys were hurt in a shooting in the East Side neighborhood.

The two were standing on the sidewalk in the 10000 block of South Avenue M when a maroon car drove by and someone inside started shooting, police said.

A 16-year-old boy was hit in the side, and his condition was stabilized at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police said. The other boy, 15, was hit twice in the chest and taken to Advocate Christ in critical condition, police said.

• About the same time, a 16-year-old boy was shot at 10:22 p.m. in the 3800 block of West 67th Street. The boy was walking down the sidewalk with a group of people when a white car drove by and someone inside started shooting, Gaines said.

/pixel.gif

The boy was hit in the thigh and taken to Advocate Christ, where his condition was stabilized.

• Earlier, a 24-year-old man was shot in what police described as a possibly robbery attempt in the 13200 block of South Forestville Avenue, in the Golden Gate neighborhood.

The man was shot multiple times about 8:15 p.m. and was taken to Advocate Christ, where his condition was stabilized.

• A 26-year-old man was shot in the head about 7:05 p.m. in the 8900 block of Stony Island Avenue, Police News Affairs Officer Thomas Sweeney said. The man was taken to Advocate Christ in critical condition.

• A bullet grazed the head of an 18-year-old woman as the woman stepped out of a van in the 900 block of East 83rd Street about 1:20 p.m. The woman was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and was expected to recover.