We Read Cheney’s Jaw-Dropping Editorial on Obama and Iraq So You Don’t Have To

Concluding our trilogy of Republicans who we shouldn’t take seriously on Iraq, patient zero in the series has to be former Vice President Dick Cheney. His total lack of credibility in this issue notwithstanding, The Wall Street Journal published an editorial by Cheney, titled “The Collapsing Obama Doctrine: Rarely has a U.S. president been so wrong about so much at the expense of so many,” in which he blasted the Obama administration’s handling of Iraq. It’s an article so completely loaded with irony, contradictions and hypocrisy that it’ll be difficult to unpack without bloating this post into a novel-length volume.

Right off the bat in the first paragraph, Cheney — Dick Cheney of all people — accuses President Obama of making three false statements about terrorism in the context of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

1) Obama: “If a JV team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant.” Obama wasn’t referring to ISIS when he said this. He was referring to small jihadist cells with little or no affiliation with al-Qaeda.

2) Obama: “[C]ore al-Qaeda is on its heels, has been decimated.” This is mostly true, at least in terms of what Obama has accomplished since Cheney and Former President Bush left office (see also Osama Bin Laden). He specifically said “core al-Qaeda,” not branch affiliates or other groups. Furthermore, Cheney recently praised Obama’s drone policy against terrorists. Among others killed by the Obama administration in drone and other attacks include: “Atiyah Abd al-Rahman, the No. 2 to current leader Ayman al Zawahiri; Sayeed al-Masri, No. 3 in the hierarchy; and Abu Ayyub al Masri, the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq.”

3) Obama: “So, let there be no doubt: The tide of war is receding.” This is also empirically true. The small deployment to Baghdad this week aside, the broader Iraq War ended in 2011, and the Afghanistan War is quickly wrapping up.

Worse yet, Cheney in his very first sentence exaggerates the number of Iraqi soldiers executed by ISIS. Cheney said “thousands,” plural, implying two thousand or more. The best estimate is actually 1,700. “More than a thousand” or “just under 2,000″ would’ve been more accurate in a paragraph intended to nitpick the allegedly inaccurate statements of the president.

And what about Cheney’s demonstrably false statements about Iraq alone?

“Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction. There is no doubt he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies, and against us.”

“We learned more and more that there was a relationship between Iraq and al-Qaida that stretched back through most of the decade of the ’90s.”

“[Hussein] also had an established relationship with al Qaeda, providing training to al Qaeda members in the areas of poisons, gases, making conventional bombs.”

“There’s overwhelming evidence there was a connection between Al Qaeda and the Iraqi government.”

“My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. I think it will go relatively quickly, weeks rather than months.”

“I think they’re in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency.”

According to one study, top Bush administration officials made 935 false statements about Iraq. 48 of those were attributed to Vice President Pants-On-Fire.

Okay, so that was the first paragraph. Here’s another interesting line from a man who was wrong about nearly everything (try not to punch your computer screen):

Rarely has a U.S. president been so wrong about so much at the expense of so many.

It’d be funny if it wasn’t for the fact that 32,223 American soldiers were wounded and 4,487 were killed in Cheney’s ill-advised and horrendously botched Iraq War. Do we want to get into the list of Iraqi civilians and U.S. contractors who were killed? More than 100,000. Yet he’s actually lecturing Obama about the “expense” of being wrong.

Cheney continues:

The fall of the Iraqi cities of Fallujah, Tikrit, Mosul and Tel Afar, and the establishment of terrorist safe havens across a large swath of the Arab world, present a strategic threat to the security of the United States.

None of this would’ve occurred had Cheney urged the president to continue George H.W. Bush’s policy of containing Saddam rather than overthrowing him. Saddam, contrary to what Cheney said prior to and even during the Iraq War, was an enemy of al-Qaeda and never would’ve allowed ISIS or any other al-Qaeda affiliate to operate inside Iraq. Indeed, ISIS is formerly al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI), a terrorist organization that didn’t exist until after Cheney decided to foolishly invade Iraq and overthrow Saddam.

Moving on. Cheney tosses in some anecdotal quotes from random people he bumped into (probably made up):

On a trip to the Middle East this spring, we heard a constant refrain in capitals from the Persian Gulf to Israel, “Can you please explain what your president is doing?” “Why is he walking away?” “Why is he so blithely sacrificing the hard fought gains you secured in Iraq?” “Why is he abandoning your friends?” “Why is he doing deals with your enemies?”

Later he revisits the theme:

Weakness and retreat are provocative.

The answer to all of those questions, as well as the “retreat” remark, can be covered with four words: Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). The SOFA treaty with Iraq set a specific deadline for the last American combat troops to withdraw from Iraq, and it was signed in November, 2008 by President George W. Bush. Cheney appears to argue that Obama should’ve defied the will of the Iraqi government and its people, not to mention Cheney’s former boss, and remained in Iraq in perpetuity. He also mentioned something about negotiating with Iraq to allow us to leave a residual force to keep the peace. But such an idea was unlikely to be approved by the Iraqi parliament.

Okay, this one is almost too easy:

Terrorists take control of more territory and resources than ever before in history, and he goes golfing.

Cheney, you magnificent bastard. You’re giving me no choice but to post this again:

Next, Cheney wheels out some alarming statistics.

According to a recent Rand study, between 2010 and 2013, there was a 58% increase in the number of Salafi-jihadist terror groups around the world. During that same period, the number of terrorists doubled.

What Cheney doesn’t write is that this had little or nothing to do with the Obama administration’s counterterrorism policy. The RAND study noted: “The biggest reason for the Salafist jihadist “surge” is the increasing weakness of North African and Middle Eastern governments.” What does Cheney expect the U.S. to do about this, short of invading and overthrowing those governments all at once somehow? By the way, I wonder why there’s a weak government in Iraq. Hmm.

This next sentence is a doozy:

Al Qaeda and its affiliates are resurgent and they present a security threat not seen since the Cold War.

Cheney expects us to believe that al-Qaeda is stronger now than it was when it attacked New York City and Washington, DC (on his watch)? That’s rich. He also indicts his hero Ronald Reagan, who is quoted favorably at the end of the op/ed, by suggesting al-Qaeda was even stronger during the Cold War.

Overall, Cheney’s post should’ve been titled, “Why Hasn’t Obama Cleaned Up My Huge Fucking Mess?” We can’t repeat this often enough: the reason why Iraq is in turmoil right now and why 1,700 Iraqi soldiers were killed by ISIS wasn’t because of anything Obama did or didn’t do, it’s because Cheney and his neocon pals totally upended the region with an invasion and occupation that has now tossed Iraq into further chaos. Regardless of whether Bush signed SOFA or if it was President Of The Future X, what we’re seeing now would’ve happened anyway. If you forcibly remove a secular anti-al-Qaeda strongman (however despotic he might be) and replace him with a weaker, western-dependent government, yes, terrorism and instability will ensue. And in the case of Iraq and Saddam, the blame belongs entirely to Cheney and his administration.

And finally, let’s always remember that whenever we’re lectured by Cheney about vulnerability in the face of the terrorist threat that it was under his vice presidency that nearly 3,000 Americans were murdered in the most spectacularly awful terrorist attack in the history of the world.

Paraphrasing Kevin Spacey in American Beauty: “No, no. You don’t get to tell us what to do. Ever. Again.”

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

Fox News Thinks 'The Interview' Flap Is Obama's Fault

Fox News Thinks 'The Interview' Flap Is Obama's Fault

  • El Presidente

    lol, this story is pure leftwingnut spin.

  • John Stephens

    You should have read the original New Yorker article before making the claim that you read something so others don’t have to. Obama was talking about Al Queda when he called them JV

  • Susan Wood

    I seriously think that Cheney is brain damaged from his repeated open heart surgeries. That’s not his fault, but he has no business anywhere near the levers of power, let alone lecturing people who have more marbles than he does.

  • Jonesey

    Funny that he can still visit the Middle East when if he steps foot in Europe, he will most likely be arrested and charged with war crimes. Bush and Rumsfeld, too.

  • PAL52

    “On a trip to the Middle East this spring, we heard a constant refrain **from the lackeys and warmongers we talked to** in capitals from the Persian Gulf to Israel.” FTFY, Dick.

  • Khan Majeed

    Dick Cheney, Rumsfeld and Bush were all invited by the Iraqi Mujahideen to join the battle in Iraq but all of them decided to play drawing room warriors like Mafia hitmen

  • Khan Majeed

    Dick Cheney is one of those people who had called President Reagan as a man of Providence for going successfully after Russia. He considered himself a soldier of Jesus Christ and look at the way he conducted himself. He exterminated Iraqis with extreme prejudice and full of hate. He is one of those people to whom God has extended his life to show his utter failure in his lifetime. Dick Cheney and his masters the 2 Bushes (both of them are alive and the elder is believed to be in a miserable condition praying for his death) will go down in history as murderers and the entire wrath of God on America will take some time to fruition – just wait and see – the Divine game has just begun.

  • imavettoo

    On a trip to the Middle East this spring, we heard a constant refrain in capitals from the Persian Gulf to Israel, “Can you please explain what your president is doing?” “Why is he walking away?” “Why is he so blithely sacrificing the hard fought gains you secured in Iraq?” “Why is he abandoning your friends?” “Why is he doing deals with your enemies?”

    If it’s actually true that Darth was in the ME this spring why did no one re-ticket him for the Hague?

  • Christopher Foxx

    “Why is he so blithely sacrificing the hard fought gains you secured in Iraq?”

    Nobody, ever, anywhere has ever said that to Cheney. Ever.

  • Wilson Michael

    9/11 happened on his and GWBs watch. Then everything went downhill from there.

  • B.P.B

    Cheney, Wolfowitz (let’s not forget about HIM), Bremer, whomever… These psychos are still alive and still ‘immune’ from prosecution. And still profiting from war and terror. This is what the American Version of Fascism is like. Americans may criticize, but they find it actually quite tolerable, and that maybe it’s not so bad after all. Gruesome, but true.

  • muselet

    Isn’t it a shame that nobody thought to lock the door of Dick Cheney’s secure and undisclosed location from the outside and forget to unlock it?

    –alopecia

  • Mike_Norris

    I typically do not wish anything bad on people, But my exception is Dick Cheney. He really is a loathsome son of a bitch. I hope his is a lingering and agonizing death–where he has plenty of time to reflect on what a true bastard he really is. A fucking war criminal–plain and simple.

  • aynwrong

    I couldn’t finish the article. Its too infuriating to read the lies told with the audacity of psychopathic carnival barker. I just hope Jon Stewart recycles this particular bit and hits Cheney upside the head with it in as loud and angry and outraged a manner as possible. And I hope it really gets under Cheney’s skin. Or at the very least, under the skin of his obnoxious little brat Liz.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD4p8fhL2VE

  • Badgerite

    I don’t agree that the the Iraq and Syria can only operate under the ‘Repressive Strong Man’ theory of government. I also don’t agree that criticism of Obama for failing to act in Syria is completely off the mark. Cheney is a jerk looking to place blame on someone else for his own mistakes. He talks about Iran’s ascendancy and the Status of Forces Agreement wholly overlooking the fact that one of the reasons Maliki would not agree to it was that Iran “forbade him to”. He has been in Iran’s pocket for some time now. He is responsible for Sunni disaffection with the current government of Iraq. Maliki has been one of those interested in exacting revenge and keeping Sunnis out of power. But Obama cannot be held totally blameless in the current state of the region. I think this op ed piece in the New York Times is persuasive. At least it is to me.
    Don’t Fight In Iraq and Ignore Syria by Anne-Marie Slaughter.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/opinion/don‘t-fight-in-iraq-and-ignore-syria.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=1

    • Peter James

      What exactly do you expect Obama to do in Syria?

      Do you expect him to take us into another war? For what purpose?

      And nobody said that Iraq and Syria can onlyoperate under the “Repressive Strong Man” theory of Government as an alternative – the ONLY alternative – to the current state of affairs.

      That’s a false choice that YOU have created.

      At the end of the day, what happens in Iraq, or Syria (or Afghanistan, or Libya or Egypt or any other Middle East hotspot) is up to the people of those countries including, if it’s necessary for them to spill blood for their own future and destiny.

      Many countries around the world have faced the same dilemma and hard choices (including the US) and come out of it just fine without ending up with the “Strong Man” model of government or utter chaos.

      So spare us your specious arguments with false choices that only seek to place blame on Obama.

      We see right through you.

      • Badgerite

        Do you now. That was precisely what Bob Cesca said in one of his pieces. I didn’t ‘create’ anything. That was his statements. Please see post of June 16,2014
        bobcesca.thedailybanter.com/blog-archives/2014/06/lindsey-grahams-screwy-plan-for-iraq-is-why-he-should-never-be-taken-seriously.html
        He specifically states that “three opinions about the region have been vindicated.”
        1) “Given the instability in the Mid East, perhaps Iraq was better off under the control of a despotic, secular strongman”.
        He is the one who set up your “false choice”: for you. I happen to disagree with him on this point. ( You might want to read a little more closely yourself )
        None but the most outrageously crazy has ever advocated for a US invasion of Syria. Or air strikes. Or any military action other than providing arms and perhaps intelligence to those forces fighting Assad that are not radical.
        And there are some.
        I get the feeling that you didn’t even look for or read the article I cited because she does not “blame Obama” for Iraq at all. She blames Bush and Maliki. But she also makes the point that the instability in Syria is bleeding over into Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon and now Iraq and can’t be ignored anymore. And I think she makes a persuasive case for this. It is entirely possible that a failure to support those less radical elements has led to Al Qaeda gains in Syria. What happens to Syria is NOT being decided by the people of Syria. Russia has provided arms and fund and Iran has provided fighters to Assad. The Gulf states have an element they are supporting.
        And what you here now about the invading forces in Iraq is that there are a lot of foreigners on Jihad in the ranks.

  • cosliberal

    This is what happens when war criminals are not brought to justice….

  • quakerinabasement
    between 2010 and 2013, there was a 58% increase in the number of Salafi-jihadist terror groups around the world. During that same period, the number of terrorists doubled.

    Maybe I’m being dense, but doesn’t that work out to 1.7 terrorists for each of the new terror groups?

  • Shandy

    Generally, I accept that we live in a polarized political environment, and there are smart people, people I know and respect, who are on the right. While they can make me angry, I do not wish them harm, or deny their right to their opinions.

    That said, Cheney is one of the very few who I will actually cheer when he dies. Dick Cheney has been one of the single-most damaging individuals (as opposed to events) in the history of the republic. He is such a dishonest black-hearted caricature it is hard to believe that he is even for real, and seems to exult in that. There are very few people who I genuinely wish would just keel over, but he is one.

    • JozefAL

      Dick Cheney’s very existence is a reason I wish we had Magneto or Polaris in the real world. One little EMP from either character and *POOF* no more Cheney.

  • Robert DAgostino

    without a doubt, cheney is the most evil person in the world. even satan fears cheney. and god has tried to kill this man 5 times but because of this war criminal’s millions off haliburton and no bid iraqcontracts, his keeps his heart ticking. seriously, this guy is truly f*cked up in the head and so is anyone who even thinks of supporting and agreeing with his delusional views.

    • mellowjohn

      even worse, it’s not his heart.

  • 4-Q-2

    Wow…Another LEMMING…….

    All I have to add are a few quotes to go with Cheney quotes:

    “One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line.” Ex-President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

    “If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction program.” Ex-President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

    “Iraq is a long way from [the USA], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face.” Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Feb 18, 1998

    “He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983.” Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

    “[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq’s refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs.” Letter to President Clinton, signed by Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

    “The essential facts are known. We know of the weapons in Saddam’s possession: chemical, biological, and nuclear in time. We know of his unequaled willingness to use them. We know his history. His invasions of his neighbors. His dreams of achieving hegemonic control over the Arab world. His record of anti-American rage. His willingness to terrorize, to slaughter, to suppress his own people and others. We need not stretch to imagine nightmare scenarios in which Saddam makes common cause with the terrorists who want to kill us Americans and destroy our way of life.” Senator Joseph Lieberman (D-CT), September 13, 2002

    “Make no mistake: Saddam Hussein is a ruthless tyrant, and he must give up his weapons of mass destruction. We support the President in the course he has followed so far: working with Congress, working with the United Nations, insisting on strong and unfettered inspections. We must convince the world that Saddam Hussein is not America’s problem alone; he is the world’s problem. And we urge President Bush to stay this course for we are far stronger when we stand with other nations than when we stand alone.” Governor Gary Locke (D-WA), January 28, 2003 Democratic Response to President Bush’s “State of the Union” address

    • 4-Q-2

      “Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process.” Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

      “Hussein has chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies.” Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

      “There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein has invigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies.” Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, December 5, 2001

      “We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them.” Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

      “We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country.” Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

      “We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction.” Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

      “The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons.” Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

      “I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force if necessary to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security.” Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

      “Iraq’s search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power.” Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

      “There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years. We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction.” Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

      “He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do” Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

      “In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons.” Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

      “Saddam Hussein’s regime represents a grave threat to America and our allies, including our vital ally, Israel. For more than two decades, Saddam Hussein has sought weapons of mass destruction through every available means. We know that he has chemical and biological weapons. He has already used them against his neighbors and his own people, and is trying to build more. We know that he is doing everything he can to build nuclear weapons, and we know that each day he gets closer to achieving that goal.” Senator John Edwards (D-NC), October 10, 2002

      “While the distance between the United States and Iraq is great, Saddam Hussein’s ability to use his chemical and biological weapons against us is not constrained by geography – it can be accomplished in a number of different ways – which is what makes this threat so real and persuasive.” Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), October 10, 2002

      “We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction.” Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

      “Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime. He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he is miscalculating America’s response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction. So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real.” Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

      • Shandy

        Did any of those people invade Iraq and launch a 10-year trillion dollar war? No they did not.

        If you want to live in an alternate reality where Bush/Cheney don’t bear responsibility and guilt for Iraq, knock yourself out. But don’t subject us to your lunacy.

      • dukesirius

        The real questions here are:
        #1: did Clinton contain Saddam? He did, as is apparent by the fact that Saddam DIDN’T have any WMDs when we rolled in.

        #2: how many of the other people you quoted were relying on the falsified evidence that the war criminals of the Bush administration concocted?

        Every one of the people involved in te Bush administration should serve prison time and have their assets forfeited to pay for the care of the soldiers they lied into injury, and compensating the families of the soldiers they lied into their graves.

        That these people walk free and wealthy, let alone that they have credibility with a single citizen of this country is an encompassing black mark on the soul of America.

      • hitsomebody

        “He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors.” Colin Powell, Feb 24, 2001

        “Saddam does not control the northern part of the country. We are able to keep his arms from him. His military forces have not been rebuilt.” Condoleezza Rice, April 2001

    • That River Gal

      You lost me at “lemming”. You outed yourself in the first sentence.

      Did Clinton invade and occupy Iraq, resulting in 40,000 American casualties, and a total destabilization of the region?

      Didn’t think so.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Yawn. Bob has already said it below. Next!

    • PAL52

      Yeah, I’ve seen this particular pile of bullshit cut and pasted elsewhere. The quick answer is that Clinton and Israel DESTROYED Iraq’s WMD capability. And Cheney knew it.

  • Badgerite

    Cheney is the prime example of what went wrong with American debate and foreign policy after 9/11. Too much political posturing and not enough genuine concern for the well being of the Republic. I still think we have to listen to each other and take it somewhat on faith that being Americans we have the same objectives. If they had not attacked anyone who tried to tell them of the mistakes they were making in Iraq and then turn around after attacking them and use their ideas as their own, maybe he would have a little more credibility with moderate and center Democrats. But the GOP has so lowered the level of debate in this country, that that just doesn’t seem possible. Anyone could have predicted, and in fact many people in the State Department which Cheney shut out during the Bush years did predict, that Iran would gain influence and power if the Sunnis in Iraq were neutered. And Cheney and Bush made sure they were neutered. So Iran is now ascendant. That is a direct consequence of what he and Bush did. It was already underway, Status of Forces Agreement or no Status of Forces Agreement. A lot of American casualties in Iraq were at the hands of Iranian operatives. Or was Cheney unaware of that.

  • ssj

    He’s not looking very healthy.

    • D_C_Wilson

      That’s just because his soul left his body 40 years ago.

  • Danann13

    Dick Cheney is talking about himself; this is called mirroring, a popular Republican technique perfected by Tom Delay

  • Badgerite

    I read Cheney’s article. In whose universe does Iran not already control Iraq. Maliki, though he may have wanted US troops there, was specifically urged by Iran not to allow it and so he didn’t.
    He has aided Iran in their campaign to save Assad in Syria, at Iran’s urging. Iran always viewethe toppling of Sunni power in Iraq as an opportunity and the people who provided that opportunity were the Bush/Cheney team.

    • Saren Arterius

      Iran was pretty much the only winner out of the whole debacle. Removed a major geopolitical threat (as perceived by them at least) and replaced them with a staunch ally. It’s like, the equivalent of Russia overthrowing the Iranian government and replacing them with a pro-Western government… whoops!

      • Badgerite

        Whoops, indeed.

  • Saren Arterius

    Dick Cheney being given space for an op-ed on Iraq is like Jack the Ripper being given an op-ed on the increase in violent crime in Whitechapel in 1888.

    • Shandy

      That’s an unfair comparison,. Even Jack the Ripper deserves better than that.

  • Synclavius

    Dick Cheney’s reanimated corpse is a strong argument against the existence of God.

    • Robert DAgostino

      if you think about, god has tried to kill this bastard five times with heart issues. because of his millions off of no bid haliburton contracts in Iraq, he is able to keep his heart ticking. not much longer though, we all hope. this is a man who needs to be judged by a higher power.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I love that Spacey quote. My favorite moment in that movie.

    Cheney is speaking from the paracosm, to the paracosm. And the paracosm is shrinking, although its inhabitants don’t know it. People inside the paracosm believe that the paracosm is the entire world; that only a handful of “MSNBC viewers” don’t “agree with” them, don’t “know” what they “know.”

    Those of us outside the paracosm know precisely who, and what, Dick Cheney is.

  • Jeff Cramer

    It was only a matter of time till Cheney chimed in… I am just surprised it took him this long to respond.

  • Badgerite

    I don’t know where you get your information on Ayman al Zawahiri being dead. Please note that as of April 2014, it is reported in the Guardian that he issued a statement supporting the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and urging a jihad against Assad of Syria.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/26/al-qaida-ayman-zawahiri-kidnapping-westerners
    If he was killed, when, exactly was he killed? There is some confusion on Wikipedia.
    But in their alive or dead entries, he is listed as alive.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:LIVINGDEAD

    • Saren Arterius

      It doesn’t say Zawahiri was killed, it reads the guy is No. 2 to current AQ leader Zawahiri

      • Badgerite

        My bad. You caught me. Skimming.

    • Peter James

      Learn how to read.

  • DubsCorleone

    It should be a rule that draft dodging war mongering war criminals who should be in jail, should not be allowed to use tv, print, the internet, or any other form of communication that the masses use, to spout their unmitigated BS

    It also should be a rule that if you dodged military service, you shut the hell up about sending other people’s kids to war when you were too much of a punk to go

    He should be in jail with his other war mongering crony, F Cheney and everything he stands for…

  • trgahan

    “…it’s because Cheney and his neocon pals totally upended the region with an invasion
    and occupation that has now tossed Iraq into further chaos.”

    Well, to the conservative media entertainment complex and the frothy base THIS is no
    longer true. The current events in Iraq are just the catalyst and justification for conservatives to etcher sketch their minds of EVERYHTING that happened in Iraq prior to this past weekend when conservative pundits acting on orders went forth to proclaim it was all the liberal black president’s fault and if Hillary runs…her’s too!

    The sad thing is, it seems we are about to see the Press fail the American public again on Iraq by not calling the most justified “Bullshit” in modern history.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Of all the asshats I truly hate, dickless the cheney tops the list. Invading Iraq to take out saddam was a personal vendetta remember that cheney, rumsfeld, et al were depply involved in propping up saddam for years.

    It was a well established fact that the only “terrorist” organization operating in Iraq was anti-Iran. I’ve always thought the false AQ link was intended to manipulate w (as much as the public) since he initially balked at the idea of abandoning the Afghanistan campaign.

    Also, too: Most people have forgotten the special intelligence group headed by wolfowitz that provided the “evidence” of WMD – and why not since after initially touting it rummy later denied its existence. By understanding how compartmentalization worked in the intel community, the inserted the same bogus source into different channels then used them to verify each other. Brilliantly deviant.

  • Bud Machado
    • Bim Jean

      Even though this is consistent with which party is doubly stupid…it doesn’t really matter who voted for it. What matters is who knowingly disseminated disinformation in order to get support for the war.

      “The study says Bush
      made 232 false statements about Iraq and former leader Saddam Hussein’s
      possessing weapons of mass destruction, and 28 false statements about
      Iraq’s links to al Qaeda.

      The study, released Tuesday, says Powell had the second-highest number of false statements, with 244 about weapons and 10 about Iraq and al Qaeda.

      Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Press Secretary Ari
      Fleischer each made 109 false statements, it says. Deputy Defense
      Secretary Paul Wolfowitz made 85, Rice made 56, Cheney made 48 and Scott McLellan, also a press secretary, made 14, the study says.”

      http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/23/bush.iraq/

    • Badgerite

      Michael Morell (former CIA Deputy Director) was on Charlie Rose last night and he stated his opinion that there was a case to be made for the Iraq War. Not the one made by Bush/Cheney, but a case for it, nonetheless. But as TPM’s Josh Marshall, who initially was in support of invasion and changed his mind before it occurred because of what he heard leaking out of the state department and the Pentagon, the mistakes that were made by the Bush/Cheney team were so monumental that any chance that this would end well or even without disaster were done in early on in the occupation part.
      And I think that is undeniably true.
      I don’t know if anyone, without inside information, could have anticipated the extreme incompetence of the Bush/Cheney team.

  • Bud Machado
  • mellowjohn
  • That River Gal

    The hubris of this bastard cannot even be measured. Unbelievable.

  • FlipYrWhig

    Ah, all the old hits. Does he use the word “embolden” at any point? That’s like “Free Bird” to this crew.

  • DrLearnALot

    I wrote a song about Dick Cheney. It’s all still true. Wanna hear it? Here it goes: http://toofunproductions.com/bdcheney.swf

    • sealiagh

      He is truly an evil man.

  • ruth crocker

    Here is a man who spent the immediate aftermath of 9/11, the worst terrorist attack on our soil, which his administration failed to prevent, cowering in a bunker calling our President a weak coward. Yes, I’ll take his opinion seriously.

    • sealiagh

      Rumor has it that he was bunkered down here

      http://www.greenbrier.com

      My family was lucky of enough to spend a couple of days there in June 2002 – the bell man told us that Cheney was holed up there after 9/11. Of course, the bell man could have been bullshitting us. Or, Cheney might have been in the actual bunker they have there – I doubt it – we took the tour and it is pretty austere and bare bones. Don’t see the likes of Cheney compromising his comfort.

      But whatever, Cheney was indeed cowering somewhere! I think we need a new word that means the same as chutzpah only chutzpah to the 1000th degree….

      • D_C_Wilson

        I wish he would go back to whatever rock he used to hide under then and stay there this time.

        • FlipYrWhig

          That’s a hard fate. For a rock.