Rand Paul Takes a Break from Filibustering Drones to Threaten Taliban With a Drone Strike

First, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) delayed U.S. Senate proceedings with an 18-hour "Stand With Rand" filibuster in opposition to the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, also known as "drones," against U.S. citizens. Then, a short time later, he suggested law enforcement use drones to kill a liquor store burglar inside the U.S. Now he's threatening the use of drones against former Guantanamo detainees.
First, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) delayed U.S. Senate proceedings with an 18-hour "Stand With Rand" filibuster in opposition to the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, also known as "drones," against U.S. citizens. Then, a short time later, he suggested law enforcement use drones to kill a liquor store burglar inside the U.S. Now he's threatening the use of drones against former Guantanamo detainees.
rand_paul_derp2

First, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) delayed U.S. Senate proceedings with an 13-hour "Stand With Rand" filibuster in opposition to the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, also known as "drones," against U.S. citizens. Then, a short time later, he suggested law enforcement use drones to kill a liquor store burglar inside the U.S. Now he's threatening the use of drones against former Guantanamo detainees.

When asked by Neil Cavuto on Fox News Channel how he would react to a former Gitmo detainee plotting a terrorist attack (the likes of which occurred 92+ times during the Bush years), the senator replied (via David Ferguson):

“I would say that there would be a drone with their name on it.”

Now, sure, the use of drones have both benefits and downsides, each of which we've discussed here in the past. We've also covered the often hilarious level of fear-mongering about drone proliferation. But if you're going to exploit the issue for an 13-hour Look At Me! session on the floor of the Senate, you'd better stick by your position.

And by the way, a sarcastic round of applause for the suckers -- sorry, I meant "left-libertarians" like Greenwald, Sirota and the rest for "standing with Rand" only to find out he's not really the anti-drone hero they thought he was. Well done, smarties.