Let’s Call ‘Open Carry’ Gun Gangs What They Are: Extremists and Terrorists

On Monday, the Houston chapter of Open Carry Texas had originally planned an armed march into the Fifth Ward, a predominantly African-American community. The group canceled the event because, they say, one of the members was committed to a previously scheduled event elsewhere.

Canceling the march was probably fortuitous because what could possibly have gone wrong? A gaggle of white, paleoconservative rednecks with military-style rifles strapped to their chests marching through an African-American neighborhood is never a recipe for harrowing consequences.

But seriously, while they’re not in line with the traditional definition of “terrorists,” the various open carry gangs popping up in shopping center parking lots, Target stores and all points in between need to face more intensive scrutiny for deliberately inciting fear among bystanders.

Imagine in the days and weeks following the Boston Marathon bombing, a group of self-proclaimed “constitutionalists” decided to exercise their right to assemble at a high school track and field event with backpacks filled pressure cookers. There’s nothing inherently illegal about it, is there? Or imagine if following 9/11 a group if Islamic citizens walked into a random public place carrying box cutters and shouting, “Allahu akbar!” It’s extraordinarily difficult to see the difference between these examples and, in the wake of ongoing mass shootings and other less heinous though still terrifying shootings in schools, shopping malls and movie theaters, groups of shall we say odd-looking white guys marching into department stores and Starbucks restaurants armed to the teeth with AR-15s, the Sandy Hook weapon. Really, is there any difference at all? It’s doubtful the pressure-cooker or box-cutter “protesters” would be allowed to get away with such activities. So, why are the open carry gangs getting a free pass?

open_Carry_target

The First Amendment to the Constitution guarantees “the right of the people peaceably to assemble.” Naturally then, there’s nothing wrong with peaceably assembling and protesting, but much like anti-abortion protesters gathered near a grade school playground with giant placards featuring images of aborted fetuses, or Code Pink protesters accosting public officials with blood-red hands and, inexplicably, giant puppets, there are some forms of protest that go too far.

That said Code Pink and the anti-abortion groups aren’t (necessarily) armed.

However, carrying loaded — or even unloaded — military-style weapons that are intentionally designed to look like props from a Michael Bay movie goes light years beyond peaceably protesting and merges into being ominous, sneering intimidation of innocent people, shoppers and so forth. There’s absolutely nothing “peaceable” about assembling while armed with weapons of death. If the only thing keeping intact the peaceable aspect of the open carry protests is that they haven’t yet discharged one or more of their AR-15s into a crowd, so I’m not sure the First Amendment protects the open carry gangs.

What we’re witnessing from these groups is absolutely a form of terrorism, thinly disguised as a defiant protest in support of the Second Amendment. Make no mistake, like the Bundy radicals, they’re itching for a fight. They want to be arrested. They want a nation in which the open carrying of deadly weapons is commonplace — with the critical downside that once the guns are accepted fashion accessories and the public is desensitized, actual homicidal mass shooters can more successfully blend into crowds without having to conceal a damn thing.

It defies reason how in the wake of these mass shootings that gun laws continue to become more permissible, rather than more restrictive. More astonishing is the reality that open carry gatherings in public places, especially in locations where the open carriers aren’t welcome, isn’t a more contentious issue. The logical endgame here is a society in which every third or fourth white guy you bump into at McDonald’s is armed with a retail product that can kill you on the spot. It’s growing into a Mad Max movie with fewer shoulder pads and more corporate gathering places. Wait, come to think of it, firearms were banned inside Bartertown. So the metaphor doesn’t totally hold up, but you know what I mean.

As with the conspiracy theory nutbars, there’s an opportunity to marginalize the open carry gangs before their ridiculous Cause balloons into societal regularity. There’s an opportunity to shame them as extremists, if not full fledged terrorists who are slowly transforming our public places into Tombstone, Arizona.

Oh, dammit, that’s right — guns were banned in Tombstone, too.

  • Offcamber
  • Being human

    “The smallest dogs always bark the loudest.” I think this saying fits perfectly for these kinds of people. It amazes me how pathetic they are. I get that Americans should have the right to carry firearms for hunting and have one in our arm, but what’s the point in carrying AR-15′s in a shopping mall? I don’t get why we have to have any guns that carry over ten rounds. If you can’t shoot a deer in ten rounds, then you’re a horrible shot. Having only ten round guns would force mass shooters to reload, which is often the best times to take them down, but when they have 100 round guns, it makes shootings a lot more deadly. Conservatives always say that these types of laws are taking away their second amendment rights, but these laws are for making our country safer. Even most liberals don’t want guns to be completely banned.

    Let’s also not forget the amount of suicides that happen with guns. Just because someone is a law abiding citizen, it doesn’t make them responsible. Many cases happen where someone doesn’t leave their gun in a safe, and family members can reach it. Or, neighbors have a heated argument, which ends in a death. Or, there was a case where someone shot a person for texting in a movie theater. We need tighter gun control laws, so that these things don’t happen.

  • whateverdude

    also most of you forget the first half of the second amendment “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state” a militia is no longer relevant in the activities of a state because if the government wanted to,be tyrannical, they could easily just use the plethora of gadgets and weapons civilians aren’t allowed to use, and aren’t allowed to for a good reason. and that’s because we are just that, civilians, some of us are just more uppity or “forward thinking” and supportive of our ideas than others, and i am aware this post is hypocritical in regards to the previous, but I feel this needs to be out there.so there.

  • whateverdude

    you are all wrong, all of you, why because no matter what you say the only one that matters to me is the accomplished writers who has valid support points and doesn’t slander the group, just points out what they do wrong

  • Jeff Allen

    Why is it the one screaming “racist” the most are the ones ACTUALLY racist?

  • Guest

    In progressive America, submission is mandatory, freedom is a theory and only partially exists, and the constitution is an obstacle to be fought through – anyone who thinks otherwise is a ‘Domestic Terrorist’. This author is also actual trash

  • OWNtheNWO

    Lets call gun grabbing authoritarians what they are: Seditious insurrectionists attempting to overthrow the US Bill of Rights and Constitution.

  • Bobby

    They’re not terrorist, they’re exercising their rights.

  • Phil Ossiferz Stone

    Oh, so the militant angry in-your-face out of the closet gun owners bother you people, huh?

    Good.

  • Mike Smith

    Yes, because the Constitution is so EXTREME! If they are not threatening to kill you, nor depriving you of your own personal liberties, what’s the problem? You don’t have the right NOT TO BE OFFENDED…Pansies…

  • Michael

    “Oh, dammit, that’s right — guns were banned in Tombstone, too.”

    Yes you are correct. However, Arizona was not a state at the time.

  • Michael

    Lets call you what you are, an absolute moron. Making sweeping generalizations about gun advocates is an amazing example of stupidity. They are not terrorists

    nor are they gang members and criminals. They are simply citizens exercising their right to bear arms and attempting to alleviate some of the ignorance and hoplophobia within America. I am not a paleoconservative, I am a liberal and have been my entire life. I open and conceal carry all of the time. Mostly conceal carry because too many people don’t understand that open carry is perfectly legal and will call the cops or freak out unnecessarily and open carry makes you the first target if there is a shooter. I simply understand the gun issue and why the right to bear arms is so important to a free society. Gun control does not work and it never has, despite what your average main stream media outlet attempt to report. No laws should be made from an emotional state, which is where most gun restriction proposals originate from. Logic and reason should guide our laws. What gun laws do is disarm law abiding citizens. People who aren’t going to commit crimes with their guns. They are the only ones who obey laws. Criminals on the other hand couldn’t care less about gun laws, if they even know about them, so they will always get the guns they want. Gun control laws are great for them because they create victims and help them to feel more comfortable about taking advantage of law abiding people. The right to self defence and the right to keep and bear arms is more than likely something you will never understand. However, it is something that you may as well get used to because it isn’t going away.

  • Michael R. Burhans

    The Federal, and in my state of Michigan (As well as the vast majority of other states) the Constitutions recognize the right to keep and bear arms. That is own and carry. The peaceful exercise of a basic human right is neither extreme nor terrorism.

  • Christopher Lee Hartsock

    Listening to this ‘author’ back WAY off of the click-bait title, I came across his sneering contempt for “self-proclaimed ‘constitutionalists’”.
    Gosh, and here I thought ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS were such.
    Unless they bother the left’s collectivist hive mentality.

    It’s an open call to the lemmings to MARGINALIZE.
    Jesus, can’t you even tell when you’re being given marching orders?
    Once in a while, try not obeying every talking-point telling you what to do.

  • Survival Journalism

    Yes, because the only thing we can do is HOPE that it doesn’t get out of hand. Imagine this being like the Ukraine where pro-Russians show up armed like these guys. “It’s okay, we’re here to protect you.”

  • Eva Rinaldi

    A coworker of mine a year or so ago got a gun. I asked him why, he said “because it’s my right.” and I was like, “No, I get that, but what do you want the gun FOR?”
    If I saw people in my local big box store carrying AR-15s, I’d ask them the same question. “Why do you feel the need to carry this type of firepower to buy toilet paper and T-shirts? Who here is a threat?”

  • beverlyakabuddy

    I have always considered myself to be somewhat middle of the road on the gun issue. My father had hunting rifles and they were used for their intended purpose, to hunt. I learned to shoot a 22 as a kid with an aluminum pie plate as a target. My husband’s family were enthusiastic hunters and appreciated well made guns, and his brother (may he RIP) had a sizable collection he was proud of. I have in the past expressed my thoughts that registration and a waiting period made sense, as does gun safety training and a permit, especially when it comes to carrying. I have two women friends who conceal carry, and because of their lifestyles, it makes sense to me that they have this protection. However, these open carry demonstrations have been very disconcerting, and having lived all my life in an area where people do not go around sporting their weapons, I found this whole idea intimidating and even a bit bullying to the law abiding citizen who just wants to shop or enjoy a meal in a restaurant.

    Recently I had a couple of on line conversations with two different open carry enthusiasts that left me worried about the mental stability of those who need to show their guns and carry them everywhere. My main concern, and I stated it very politely, is that I can’t tell the good guys from the bad guys, that they both look the same to a stranger just seeing them and their intentions are unknown and therefore intimidating, even threatening. The first one told me that my right to feel safe did not trump his right to carry his own property anywhere he wished. I walked away from that conversation fast as I could seeing there was nothing to be gained in continuing with such a mind set, no give and take to be had. The next conversation had seemed at first to be a chance to point out how good guys open carrying guns can be intimidating to regular folks and could actually hurt gun enthusiasts goal more than help them as they are not extending any consideration toward others when they do this. I explained that I’m not about taking away anyone’s guns but asking for a show of responsible gun ownership and courtesy, as forcing people to accept your views by gun intimidation may give you the upper hand in a public situation, but voters may remember your actions unfavorably. I further stated that I actually preferred concealed to open carry, especially since my friends that conceal carry not only took gun safety training but were psychologically evaluated as well. From there, the conversation went south. I was condescendingly told that gee, he was sorry I was afraid of guns and that maybe I needed some psychiatric help with my phobia of an inanimate object. I was called an idiot and a control freak. Told that I lived in a fantasy world. His parting words to me was that he hoped I wound up in a crossfire (presumably between good and bad guys with guns). I took that last comment very seriously, and I’d be crazy not to. For one thing, it just showed that a “good guy” can be very controlling to the point that if you don’t agree with him, you really don’t deserve to live. For another, it truly does appear that what I’ve suspected is true in that at least some are expecting, perhaps even hoping for a confrontation that would call for use of their weapon. Those thoughts should scare everybody!

    I keep hearing about how it’s not guns (and actually guns in themselves ARE just objects) but about mental illness. After my conversations with just two of these open carry types, I find myself not only worried about where our country is going, if it’s ever going to be safe for anyone anywhere with armed people all around, but about the mentality of those who actually think they need to be armed to go into Target to buy Oreos. And I wonder if those good guys are pushing to carry their guns into banks (I used to work in one, and I would have pushed that alarm the first time I ever saw someone walk in carrying there), and if they have thought out the wisdom of taking them into bars where emotions fueled on alcohol run high. I have one more thought when it comes to mental health–I’ve heard some open carry guys explain that the idea of these demonstrations is to desensitize us to seeing people walking around with guns, to make it nothing to fear when we grow used to seeing it. Isn’t fear a good thing, a warning of danger from the brain to the body? Would it really be healthy if we weren’t paying extra attention when we see a stranger with a gun coming our way? Should I feel safe in a movie theater with an armed person sitting right behind me, or in a bank? I don’t feel at all safe in an honor system society with every other person armed and yes, dangerous, as anyone can decide in a moment’s notice to just go off on someone or something they don’t like. The whole idea of desensitization of open carry is dangerous any way I look at it.

    Like I said, I’ve never been on the anti-gun bandwagon, and I believe in the 2nd Amendment, but please folks, show us who are now fence sitters some consideration and act responsibly. Thank you for hearing me out; I’m not trying to be argumentative or contentious, but I’m sure there others with the same concerns I have addressed.

[...]

      In reading your comments here there quite a few things that made me scratch my head. You seemed reasonable at first but then drifted off into this strange area that frankly made you sound like a gun grabber in disguise. I am a strong 2a supporter, NRA member. I have open carried my sidearm a few times but prefer to carry concealed. I have a few reservations about these open carry rallies where long guns are used. Many photos have shown up where the OC advocate has their fingers in the trigger and hands on the grips, etc… That is so wrong and us causing them to lose favor with other gun supporters. (Note here: I’m typing on my phone that has a 1in.x 2in. Keyboard and using my thumb to type with. ) I get what they are doing but some have made this worse for the gains we have made in the 2a.
      Where you lose me is this talk of somehow we “need” our guns to go buy cookies. We don’t NEED them! I wonder what your reaction would be to people walking around open carrying of baseball bats and hammers would be? …cause those 2 have killed way more innocent people than long guns these OC advocates are carrying have. Look it up if you don’t believe me.

      Ps, I’m sorry that the past conversation you’ve had were nasty regarding this gun issue. Since you have 2 friends the ccw, May I suggest you

  • The Joker

    I look at the photos and wonder what is really going on in the minds of these people. Bob calls them terrorists though I suspect they reject this and I tend to disagree. I suggest that they and the whole open carry movement are the result of pure, unmitigated, terrror. What level of deranged fear must one be living in to feel a need to walk the street and into a shop carrying a semi automatic rifle stylized and often not too technically different from a miliitary assault rifle. They will pontificate that it is about there second amendment rights but that is pure rationalization. Maintining the right to bare arms does not mean that only needs to carry a gun everywhere one goes. Look at them and listen to how they talk particularly about people of differing skin colour. deep down inside they are consumed with fear. Guns are their emotional safety blanket. Of course they will deny this but their very actions undo them. A man who is not in fear had no need to carry a gun to the supermarket in the Untied States of America. They are terrified out of their screaming little skulls and far to terrorfied to ever admit it. Embarrassing that is what they are.

  • Flotsam

    I would rather have these open carry “terrorists” in my neighborhood. Than the concealed carry gang bangers that actually “put a cap in dat ass”

  • victor3_0

    Read this as what it is, an editorial.

  • dee

    the fifth ward is now warned I hope they get ready. cause clearly they’re coming to start some shit

  • Barry__S

    Let’s Call ‘Open Carry’ Gun Gangs What They Are: Extremists and Terrorists

    Really ?

    • Robert Scalzi

      Yes get a friggin dictionary next time before asking a stupid question
      Terrorism definition # 2 : the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

      Terrorist Def, # 2: a person or group who systematically use of terror especially as a means of coercion

      • Barry__S

        sometimes they’re called swat teams

  • pwrserge

    Call us terrorist. Cross that line. We will stack you like cordwood and wipe you from the face of the planet. Try us. I dare you.

    • Frau From Fly-Over USA

      internet tough guy!

      • pwrserge

        My DD-214 says I’m fairly tough in real life as well. The gun control nut jobs should spend every day thanking god that we are not, in fact, terrorists. It’s the only reason any of them are still breathing,

        • feloniousgrammar

          Yeah. Getting my expert marksman ribbon and many, many hours on guard duty with an M-16 and 160 rounds of live ammunition on guard duty during terrorist alerts in the Baahder Meinhoff days, when the gang was really attacking was kind of ho-hum, to tell you the truth. The only thing I feel when I carry a gun is alert and cautious. Maybe that’s because I’m not a murderous sicko looking forward to someone calling me a name so I can feel justified in killing them.

          Am all in favor of using violence in self-defense, and have, but the other person has to be violent and genuinely threatening first, and I would have to have no chance to avoid the threat and retreat. .

          Guess I’ll never know the joys of being a sociopath or wanna-be sociopath. Just don’t have enough hate in my heart and loose screws in my head to threaten random people with lethal violence.

          • pwrserge

            Most combat troops are high functioning sociopaths, by definition. But you seem to miss the point. Declaring an entire protest group to be a terrorist organization is a death threat. It’s not free speech, it’s not political activism. It’s the equivalent of telling the government that you want these people murdered.

            Words have power. Throwing around labels like “terrorist” is criminal.

          • beverlyakabuddy

            The open carry guy who said he hoped I got hit in a crossfire certainly didn’t think I deserved to live. I don’t care who has guns. We have guns. I don’t want to have to walk around in public places looking over my shoulder to see what the armed folks are up to. I’m not afraid of guns, but I do realize that a person holding a gun can decide at any minute to use it, and since I don’t know the intention of the stranger in the next asile over, I’d prefer that he/she save it for hunting or target practice, and if he/she really must carrry that they have a conceal carry certificate that they went through the safety training to earn and that they do so discretely. If the bad guys and the good guys look just the same, how can we tell? Oh, not until someone does something, right? Who wants to live in that world? I realize that some of the people I’m talking to wore guns all the time in service to our country and I thank them and appreciate all they went through, but we are supposed to be civilized here, and that is some of what you were fighting for, to preserve our way of life. I’ve never been for taking away anyone’s guns and I respect people’s rights to carry if they are certified to and do so discretely, but to say our right to feel safe isn’t just as important as your right to impose your open carry rights on us just isn’t at all fair, friendly, or considerate toward those who feel differently from you.

          • pwrserge

            I’ll simple it up for you.

            “Feeling safe” is not a right. Quite frankly, how you feel is not my problem. Make it my problem and it will cease to be an issue rather rapidly.

          • beverlyakabuddy

            So are you saying if someone said to you, “Excuse me, Sir, but you are frightening me with your gun because I don’t know what you intend to do” therefore making it a problem for you, you would shoot them on the spot??? Whether or not you know it, that is an issue for most people.

          • pwrserge

            No… I’d just mock them for lacking testicular fortitude and walk away (or keep doing what I was doing) laughing. If they tried to put hands on me, they are going in a bag.

            You really lack a basic upbringing, don’t you?

          • beverlyakabuddy

            I am trying to figure out how to get off this site. This discussion is going nowhere. I don’t want to trade insults, but just because you posted this, I had a wonderful upbringing and was taught to treat others with respect and if someone told me I was frightening them, I’d feel bad. Who’d want to give an 80 year old lady a heart attack or something because I scared her? And yes, I do lack testicular fortitude and I also lack testicles. I’m not here to prove myself more macho than you are as I’d lose for sure. I can see you love sparing, but all I wanted to do is express my own views, and I DO have the right of freedom of speech. I have no idea of why you are so angry or why you think you are the only one who counts in this world, but I don’t think I’m doing anything to help the situation by carrying on with you but only adding fuel to the fire, and I don’t want that. Once again sorry for making you even angrier. Have a nice day, and hopefully I can figure out how to stop seeing your messages to me.

          • pwrserge

            Again… You have no right to freedom of speech. The 1st amendment only prevents the government from shutting you up, not private citizens.

            How many times did you fail basic social studies?

          • beverlyakabuddy

            Please unsubscribe me from this conversation.  Thank you.

          • Eva Rinaldi

            I really really hope that this is a troll account. If it’s not, you should know that “high functioning sociopath” is not a thing. Gatniss and Moffat appear to have made it up. “Sociopath” has not been a valid diagnosis for anyone in years. If words have power, please try to select yours more carefully.

          • pwrserge

            The DSM-4 would seem to disagree. The DSM-4 has very distinct diagnostic criteria for anti-social personality disorder (what most people shorthand to sociopathy). Interestingly, combat troops fit the criteria perfectly when their actions are observed out of context. Function level is an entirely different topic. It is possible to be high function with a multitude of disorders, including sociopathy.

          • Eva Rinaldi

            Right, the name was changed to Antisocial personality disorder to better reflect what the disorder is, similar to how Global Warming was changed to Climate Change to better reflect that it includes extreme variances in temperature because of the changes in the atmosphere and such. I was under the understanding that people with ASPD can’t be considered “high functioning,” so I’d like to see a source, but I can’t find the piece where I read that, so I’m willing to concede that point depending on what definition you’re using.

          • pwrserge

            So you’re telling me that combat veterans are not high functioning? Because I assure you that anybody who has voluntarily seen combat operations meets the DSM-4 criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder. Naming something different does not change what it is. Just like naming Global Warming Climate Change does not make it less BS. (Here’s a hint, go look up global mean temperatures during the Crusades.)

          • Eva Rinaldi

            You seem to be confusing things. PTSD can cause similar symptoms during disassociation. Adult humans don’t acquire personality disorders, just like they don’t have a cure.

          • pwrserge

            Not so much actually, it is entirely possible for adults to experience major personality shifts that can result in them developing classic sociopathy. I disagree that personality disorders must be diagnosed in childhood to be violent.

            A combat veteran who volunteers for a combat assignment where he knows he would and actually does kill other human beings exhibits in that very act classic sociopathic behavior. Why? Because killing a human being whilst in a controlled state of mind and feeling no remorse for it afterward is a classic diagnostic criteria.

            To quote Generation Kill… “What do I feel when I kill [an enemy]? Recoil.”

        • Robert Scalzi

          Blow me

        • beverlyakabuddy

          So someone who disagrees with you really doesn’t deserve to live, but since you’re not a terrorist, you’ll let them?

          • pwrserge

            More or less.

            Like the Mattis said…

            “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”

            I consider it profoundly good advice.

          • beverlyakabuddy

            Well, not to call you a terrorist or anything rude like that, if your goal is to terrify innocent law-abiding folks, you have certainly achieved in in scaring me. What on earth has made you so angry? You say you don’t want people throwing labels around that it’s just not right, yet you want to force others do your bidding at the point of a gun, or so it seems. Don’t we all have rights? Or is it just your way or the highway?

          • pwrserge

            Not so much… I’m a live and let live kind of guy. You don’t bother me, I don’t make ridicule you. As for “the point of a gun”… The gun is there if you decide to make a disagreement into a problem.

    • D_C_Wilson

      How about if we just call you cowardly douchebags compensating for your tiny dicks?

      • HilaryB

        I second that.

      • pwrserge

        You could… But then again, I’d ask how many of our dicks you had to blow to get a representative sample.

    • feloniousgrammar

      What a great American you are. You’re love of free speech is like no other.

      • pwrserge

        Declaring somebody a terrorist is a death threat, not free speech.

        • Robert Scalzi

          you are a terrorist Mr and to go a little further – you are nothing but a skid mark on the undies of America

          • pwrserge

            No douche… I shoot terrorist and get paid for it.

    • Kim Williams

      That sounds mildly like a terroristic threat.

      • pwrserge

        Only if you are a fascist.

        • Kim Williams

          We own guns. Several of them, including a couple that aren’t “PC.” We also live in an open carry state & occasionally, my husband doesn’t remove his holster & wears his favorite (Taurus Judge) when We go to town.
          With that said, I want to agree with Bob. Wearing a rifle or shotgun around your neck, gathering with others & touring shops or a specific neighborhood is done to cause terror or at least with the foreknowledge that you will be causing terror. That by definition is terrorism.

          • pwrserge

            You have no idea what terrorism is. Go do a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan. Then you can talk.

            You might want to find WHY those protestors are doing what they are doing. It has nothing to do with terrorizing anybody. (Hint it has to do with pointing out the absurdity of a really stupid law.) A person who soils their underwear at the sight of a gun and is too cowardly to step up and defend what they believe in is beyond contempt.

          • Kim Williams

            In our America a lot of folks aren’t comfortable around guns for one reason or another, not recognizing that is callous & disrespectful.
            I promise you, without going into details that you don’t want to hear, that I am intimately familiar with the feeling of being terrorized.

          • pwrserge

            Again… You keep using that word without knowing what it means.

            Have you had a loved one beheaded in front of you?
            Have you had an IED go off in the market where you do your shopping?
            Have you had family members kidnapped and sold into slavery because they worship the “wrong” god?

            I don’t care what people are “comfortable” with. In the 50s lots of Americans weren’t “comfortable” eating in the same restaurants as black people. They were not “comfortable” with sending their kids to the same school as black kids. Should we have cared about their “comfort” during the civil rights movement?

            How about people being “not comfortable” with private possession and consumption of alcohol? How did banning alcohol (which kills far more people than guns) work out? Was it a good idea to legislate on people’s “comfort”?

          • Kim Williams

            I never suggested legislating for peoples comfort. I suggested that gun owners respect their fellow Americans.

          • pwrserge

            If those people are not “comfortable” with a perfectly harmless activity, that’s their problem.

            Respect must be earned. Harassing your fellow citizens by declaring them terrorist ain’t it.

          • Kim Williams

            And said respect is earned simply by buying a gun?

          • pwrserge

            Really? You’re the one demanding “respect”. We’re just demanding you sit down and mind your own business.

          • Kim Williams

            Buddy, we own guns. As I explained earlier, I am not anti- open carry, I actually am FOR open carry states. I love mine. I am against gangs of people arming up & heading into places where they know they will most likely cause a scene or frighten fellow citizens.
            Pay attention.

          • pwrserge

            So you support open carry in places that you approve of. What part of “shall not be infringed” do you not understand?

          • Kim Williams

            You are obtuse. I support open carry done respectfully & tastefully. Not when done by group looking to make a scene.

          • beverlyakabuddy

            What goes on in our country, our town, our state, our neighborhood and so on IS our business. Some of us don’t feel loaded guns in public places are safe. They could go off, and please don’t say that never happens, as just this week there have been several reported accidents including ones involving children. You keep talking angry and that you will put an end to anyone who disagrees with the way you wish to express your rights, yet you won’t allow anyone else the right to express themselves. I’m not demanding respect, as I can see already it would not be afforded to me, but I would truly like to have a respectful conversation. I think it is quite possible to earn respect without a gun in the mix. We all deserve a say so, not just the guy with the biggest gun or the worst temper. Your posts do nothing at all to ensure those of us that your gun carry demonstrations are harmless but actually come across as wishing us harm. You know you’re a good guy, but you look the same as a bad guy to those who see you, and frankly just based on what you post, I’d be very afraid of you because you sound like you want to play God with other’s lives and just take out anyone you disapprove of. I sincerely hope I’m wrong and it’s just bravado on a message board, but you can never tell what someone’s thinking, including the guy with the gun and that’s my point.

          • pwrserge

            And yet you still miss the point. You do not “get a say” in anyone else’s rights. What you “feel” is irrelevant. You have no legal right to dictate to anyone else how they go about exercising their rights.

            Modern firearms do not “just go off”. It’s mechanically impossible unless the gun is literally falling apart. Those incidents you mention are idiots who didn’t keep their bugger hook off the bang switch. Quite frankly, if you didn’t teach your kids proper gun safety and they decided to play with things that don’t belong to them… I can see at least two major things wrong with the situation long before the gun “went off”. The solution is simple, teach your kids to keep their mitts of other peoples stuff.

          • beverlyakabuddy

            The thing is, Pwrserge, when you see a stranger in a public place with a loaded visable gun, you don’t know that they are harmless. I agree that respect must be earned, but I don’t respect someone with a gun, only fear them. I live in a non open carry state, and I would feel harrassed to have someone come walking up my street or come toward me in a parking lot with a loaded gun. I’d have no idea if they were just expressing their rights or getting ready to unload on whoever they see. The way you express yourself, you come across as someone just looking for a confrontation so you can use your gun. People used to settle things with a bit of cursing, yelling, and maybe a fist fight, but a whole bunch of you eager to control others with a gun are making it unsafe to even be human. We all do things that annoy others, and no one is ever going to agree with everything someone else believes, yet so far, this is a free country and people don’t deserve to be shot just because someone else dosn’t approve of them. I have heard people say so many times, “If I had a gun right now, I’d shoot ‘em” but since most folks don’t go around packing here, by the time they go home to get their gun, they have had a chance to think it over, what it really means to take a life, what it would do to their own life if they took someone else’s in a hot-headed moment and it doesn’t happen. And guess what, there have been people I’ve been angry with, even thought I hated that turned out to be real good friends later on in life, but had I just shot them, I’d have missed out on a good thing. Respect and fear are two different things. Of course people are going to stay clear of you if you are packing an assault weapon around, but it’s not out of respect for you, for who you are, but because they don’t want to get killed. If you want to be respected then, of course it should be earned. I respect intelligent people. I respect kind people. I respect people who have a deep respect for life, including other people’s. I fear people walking around with loaded guns just looking for a chance to use them. Fear does not equal respect.

          • pwrserge

            So… projecting much? Somehow I managed to carry a gun for multiple decades and not shoot anyone. In fact, studies show that homicide rates fall in every state that loosens firearm carry laws. The fact that you think that “cursing, yelling, and maybe a fist fight” are an appropriate response to two adults having a disagreement disturbs me. When most of us got out of kindergarden, we learned to use our words instead of our fists.

            The fact that you are hysterical with no control over your emotions is not my problem.

          • beverlyakabuddy

            Yet it appears that you would blow people away for standing up to you. If you were In Iraq or Afghanistan in service to our country, I appreciate what you did and thank you for it, but I’m also an American citizen and the Constitution says I am worthy of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Seeing armed strangers walking around when I’m just out running errands, shopping for my family, or living what I’ve always known to be a normal life and having this guy with a gun ready to shoot me if I object to that gun in a public place seems to be denying me of at least a couple of those rights and threaten the other one. Again, I appreciate what you did, and I can see how the horrors of living under such conditions may have influenced our outlook, but really I feel very unsafe at the thought of people with your viewpoints packing a gun anywhere my loved ones because who knows what someone might say or do that would get you “fired up” and firing??? How can you expect support when you show such an angry and controlling attitude in just a conversation? You say I have no right to feel safe, yet you feel you have a right to make people feel unsafe. I question your motives, Sir.

          • pwrserge

            Please cite the portion of the CotUS that guarantees any of that… I’ll wait.

            As for “fired up and firing”… Somehow that has never been an issue before. Why do you think that is? Oh yeah… Because most of people who know what actual combat is like are very hesitant to start things.

            As for making people “feel unsafe”… How you feel is not my problem. I don’t particularly care if you question my motives. I don’t need or want your support. I want you to sit down, shut up, and mind your own business.

            Fortunately, in the actual CotUS, one right is expressly protected. Or did you miss that entire… “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” bit?

          • beverlyakabuddy

            So the guy with the gun gets to tell this peace loving citizen to just shut up. Is that pretty much it? A gun is a killing instrument made for that purpose only. No one has any idea of what your intentions are. You say you’re a peaceful guy, but how is anyone able to tell that? You seem so angry and ready to take out anyone who says anything you don’t like at a moment’s notice. Why? Why are you so angry? Why do you want to make people feel unsafe? You say it’s not your problem. I certainly feel responsible for how I make others feel and if I’m scaring them, I’d want to stop. I just wanted to post my opinion and you shout me down, tell me to shut up. What on earth would you do if someone told you publically they didn’t like your guns around their children or grandchildren, that you were scaring them? Only you get to call the shots, right??? By the way, I’m thinking I’m being a bit irresponsible even talking to you, that I might be getting you riled up and putting people at danger, and for that reason, I think I had better stop. But yes, I do feel how I make others feel is my problem, including how I make you feel. You will see other posts and comments from me, but I’m through because I don’t like the thought of how I may be affecting you and I don’t want to be responsible for causing any harm to anyone. With all respect, I’m through here. I wish we could have had an edifying conversation. I am truly sorry if I have offended.

          • pwrserge

            Again with the projection. If somebody walks up to me and starts harassing me, they get a warning to shove off as I said, adults use their words… Now if you lay hands on me… Then we may have a different conversation. (One generally ending with you on your way to the hospital or morgue.)

            As for making people “feel unsafe”… How many times do I have to point out that how you feel is irrelevant to me. Your paranoia and projection complexes are not my problem.

  • The Joker

    Parts of the USA get more like the wilds of Pakistan and Afganistan every day.

    • Flotsam

      Well the shitty ghetto neighborhoods have been like that for 20 years haven’t they.

  • Christopher Lee Hartsock

    Seriously, Bob, hire a proofreader. There are so many spelling errors and grammatical mistakes in your drivel, I’m tempted to proofread it myself, except that I think that demi-literacy in a rant should speak for itself.

    These people have hurt NO ONE. If your claim is that Americans need to pander to the most fearful, you will always lose. ALWAYS. It is up to the fearful to face their fears, and get past them. That’s what grownups do. You are not guaranteed a life without fear….obviously…since you’re free to concoct it, and distribute it as ‘journalism’, without so much as a high school grasp of the tools of the trade.

    And hire someone to wipe the froth off your mouth.

    • HilaryB

      “It is up to the fearful to face their fears, and get past them. That’s what grownups do.”

      That’s what WE say about the gun toters.

    • Frau From Fly-Over USA

      stop projecting, gun nut. It’s the threat and fear you, yourself, face of your country changing-more diverse ethnically and racially and women continue enter the workplace as doctors, scientists, lawyers, CEO’s. The land of the the white man in charge is becoming a distant history and that pisses you and these TX mouthbreathers bonkers.

  • Christopher Lee Hartsock

    I read this rag for one reason.
    To watch the left get all stirred up over things that don’t happen.
    And of course, labeling those different from its base (ESPECIALLY IF WHITE) as ‘terrorists’, since, you know, these guys have committed so many atrocities.

    You cheapen the language and abbreviate thought.

    • Frau From Fly-Over USA

      StormFront website down today?

      • Flotsam

        Ohhhh, the StormFront accusation from the website puppet .

    • D_C_Wilson

      “To watch the left get all stirred up over things that don’t happen.”

      Kind of like how the right gets stirred up over the gun grabbin’, FEMA camps, and death panels that never happen?

      • Christopher Lee Hartsock

        Nope.
        Guns got grabbed by the Feds and Military during Katrina.
        FEMA does have emergency relocation camps.
        Never bought into the death panels, though.

        But, yes, your tacit admission, thank you, is that you’re stirred up over things that don’t happen, and that labeling these people as terrorists IS terrorism.

        • D_C_Wilson

          No admission on my part, Sparky. Nice try, though.

          • Christopher Lee Hartsock

            I don’t expect you to acknowledge reality, hence ‘tacit’ admission, Mary.
            Fail. Try harder.

            Catch yourself at something:
            I presented actual incidents of gun-grabbing, and contradicted your point directly.
            You had nothing to say except a limp denial, and a juvenile insult.
            Because, LIBERAL!

          • Christopher Lee Hartsock

            Well, even if you don’t admit it, guns got grabbed.
            Your admission has no bearing on facts.

            Obviously.

    • Kim Williams

      We own guns. Several of them, including a couple that aren’t “PC.” We also live in an open carry state & occasionally, my husband doesn’t remove his holster & wears his favorite (Taurus Judge) when We go to town.
      With that said, I want to agree wit Bob. Wearing a rifle or shotgun around your neck, gathering with others & touring shops or a specific neighborhood is done to cause terror or at least with the foreknowledge that you will be causing terror. That by definition is terrorism.

    • beverlyakabuddy

      The left? Until recently, I thought it was the right that was all for gun control. I remember when they were during Nixon’s Silent Majority because they were terrified of the Black Panthers. The Panthers were never a big threat in my life, as I never even saw one where I lived when all that was going on. Why does it have to be an all or nothing thing? I agree that guns are not an accessory like a belt or a purse, nor are they a toy. When you see a stranger wearing a gun as you run in to pick up some shampoo or buy a gift for your grandchild and see people with assault weapons walking around the store, how do you know what they are up to, if they are there to patrol the place for safety or rob it? I’m not afraid of guns, but I have a healthy fear of seeing people I do not know walking around with them. That type of fear is one of our protective senses. We have that for a reason. I’m not accusing anyone of anything, and I’m sure most of the people who are so passionate to carry really do want to be the good guy that steps in and saves us from the bad guys, but all I see is a stranger with a gun and the person with the gun gets to call the shots. And having been told by an open carry enthusiast that if guns scare me, I should just stay home, and then that he hopes I get hit in a crossfire just because I disagree with him certainly does give me cause to fear what some people might do with such control. I don’t want to live in fear. I have not grown up with people in public places open carrying. I have some friends that conceal carry, and they have permits to do so, and they would never even show their gun unless there was a need and they don’t make anyone around them anxious. It all goes along with old-fashioned manners and consideraton and common sense. Can we work towards a world where everyone feels as free as you gun enthusiasts think you have a right to?

  • http://usrimfireshooters.wordpress.com/ RimfireShooter

    I tend to view the open carry of rifles crowd as the Black Panther element of the 2A civil rights movement. I know they do it since open carry of handguns is verboten in Texas, but they aren’t doing anybody any favors. There’s a time, place, and manner when the practice is acceptable (like when out hunting on foot walking along the road). But at a political rally, an urban setting, or in an urban resturant, even many gun owners find the practice inappropriate. Personally I find it not just bad PR in your face politics, but foolish, and dangerous

    “It defies reason how in the wake of these mass shootings that gun laws continue to become more permissible, rather than more restrictive”

    Its not hard at all to fathom Bob. Most of the country has been going the other way for decades now. Gun control peaked in the 70′s Bob. People recognize that there’s no correlation between gun control and preventing tragedy. People inherently know that some sort of ban and/or background check isn’t going to deter a psychopath.

    Thus in many areas more people decide their own lives have enough value to carry concealed weapons (I don’t but live more rurally so am unconcerned). At the same time, the shooting sports are growing exponentially. The NSSF puts a 20% growth of new shooters in the last 5 years (mostly women and men in suburban/urban areas). Shooting is fun and becoming more mainstream again. And that’s a lot of new voters enjoying their rights who wish them expanded.

  • D. Alexander

    These gun totin right wing nuts are terrorists, They are terrorizing the people around them who want to go out in public and enjoy themselves without the threat of seeing these armed terrorists walking around with assault rifles. If they were black, it would NOT be tolerated.

    • Dave Be

      The Black Panthers used to conduct armed Police Patrols in California until the Mulford Act was passed banning open carry of loaded weapons. When the bill was being considered, they marched on the state capitol with rifles and shotguns and attracted national media attention, which helped spread BP chapters around the country. The takeaway? You’re right, when black people did it, laws got passed to make it illegal, but it also got their group more attention and helped them to grow, which is what the people doing it now are hoping for, too. Media coverage is what they want; especially media coverage that will outrage people sympathetic to their cause, like calling them terrorists.

  • Dave Be

    California banned open carry of handguns in 2012 and open carry of rifles and shotguns in 2013. At least here, gun control laws have been getting more restrictive lately.

  • pasta65

    Stupid pudgy morons with mechanical penis extensions.

    That is all they really are.

  • DrLearnALot

    They are the definition of terrorists. And paranoid. And stupid. These things go together like milk and cookies or guns and death.

  • muselet

    Seeing photos of pudgy white guys with poor grooming habits toting unnecessarily large firearms around—with no purpose other than to educate the rest of us about their Second Amendment rights, of course—puts me in mind of this pungent comment from Balloon Juice in January 2013. Commenter “Oregon guy” was referring specifically to the pair of ammosexuals (pics at the top of the page) who decided to wander through a neighborhood in Portland—among the first to pull this stunt—but it applies equally to the photos published here.

    As John Cole plaintively asked, “When did the crazy people get the upper hand in this country?”

    –alopecia

    • captkurt

      Thank you for that link!

      • muselet

        My pleasure. I’m just glad I remembered where I saw it.

        –alopecia

    • http://cendax.wordpress.com/ Norbrook

      Excellent comment, and I agree. As someone who used to have tote around an M16 24/7 while on field exercises back in the day, there was a right way to do it and the wrong way. Not to mention that it was a major pain in the ass to have to lug the thing around at all times. One of the good things about coming in from the field was that you turned in your weapon and didn’t have to carry it around with you. I can’t think of why these morons think it’s a “good thing” to do so, just from the “personal comfort” standpoint. Not to mention that in a real situation, they’re going to be dead long before they can get themselves ready and into action.

      Mostly, they’re acting like scared little chickenshits who think that if they have a rifle on them, they’re safe and people will think they’re “tough.” Which shows their maturity level and their brain power, which is … minimal.

  • CL Nicholson

    I think these yahoos cancelled their little march through a poor predominantly Black project out of the same irrational fears that made them run around with bazookas in Wal-Mart in the first place. To paraphrase a podcaster , every American bullet has a [Black man's] name on it. Scratch the surface of every militia man or NRA yahoo – and you’ve got a hardcore bigot terrified of the unsullied hordes.

    Basically, these hillbillies are terrified of scary Black and Latino men with sagging pants, giant penises, tech-9 in their waistbands or whatever NWA/Cypress Hill fantasy they’ve been nursing on since 1995. (Let’s forget for a second that unarmed Black people have historically had more to fear from gun toting white dudes.) These fools buy those Call of Duty props for the same reason a 5 year old wants a night light – to scare away the boogie man. But, like those frightened toddlers, they’ll never actually confront the boogie man.

    • feloniousgrammar

      Hopefully, they’ll never confront their boogie man. These guys are taking the decline of white supremacy in the U.S. real hard. I’d love to have been a fly on the wall when they were making and canceling their plan to march on the fifth ward in Houston. I have to wonder if a some folks in the ward got the word and sent them an informative letter.

  • Bob Smetters

    Come to the South Side of Chicago. You will love it there. Everyone over the age of 14 is carrying…. comeon down.

    • stacib23

      I live on the south side of Chicago. If this was your attempt at humor, it was a big fail; if it was intended as “fact”, thanks for spreading the bullshit.

      • Frau From Fly-Over USA

        It was his attempt at racism

  • captkurt

    I have no doubt that some of these happy warriors were hoping and praying for a Stand Your Ground opportunity.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Some day, quite possibly soon, some unarmed person is going to challenge these dickless cowards and get shot because the heavily armed idiots felt threatened.

  • don

    “Make no mistake, like the Bundy radicals, they’re itching for a fight. They want to be arrested. ”

    and

    “It’s growing into a Mad Max movie with fewer shoulder pads and more corporate gathering places.”

    Are we in an over-reaching Government situation or are we in Anarchy? Which is it? Perhaps both. If you are in the “have” section of the Economy its an assumption that people would only want to carry a gun because of some kind of fetish or style or lack of virility. If you are in the “have not” section you are in the midst of a economic depression with no end. Where corruption reigns and the schools and police are failing. But, its popular to label any threat a terrorist these days so why not the poor. “Hillary Clinton is on the screen today. Convinced The Liberals its OK” …. Que up The Dead Kennedys

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWrJAaUU1r8.

    • Socialist Cubone

      These open carry societies are perused almost exclusively by middle class professionals and their children. So spare us the fucking Che Guevara act.

      • don

        Open carry societies? Interesting idealization of who is carrying the guns. Take a look at the pictures in the article. Not exactly middle class professionals or their kids ;).

  • johanneslabusch

    I believe what originally contributed to more reasonable gun laws was the sight of groups of BLACK people walking around with guns. Those were the famous Black Panthers these wimps are so mortally afraid of that they still use that name whenever they see more than two black people standing around. Let’s arm some black people in Texas, have them make full use of their second amendment rights, and see what happens. What could possibly go wrong? After all, we’re living in post-racial America, don’t we?

    • Scopedog

      You might have a point there.

    • http://cendax.wordpress.com/ Norbrook

      And just a historical note, right after the Black Panthers were talking about arming other black people, the NRA was really for … gun control laws. Amazing, wasn’t it?

      • Rolf

        That’s an exaggeration. The Mulford act was passed in the mid-1960 by Reagan. The NRA were not a big deal back then. Few years later both the Panthers and the NRA were unanimously against any form of gun control.

        • nathkatun7

          Which Panthers? The Black Panther Party was practically wiped out by the mid 1970s.

          • Rolf

            They were active for like 15 years, from 1966 or something till the beginning of the 80s. There isn’t much to say about the NRA’s stance towards the Panthers. Hunter S. Thompson claimed E. Cleaver would’ve never joined NRA, because real gun freaks considered the NRA to be a moderate conglomerate of rifle-carrying geezers (especially back in the 60-70s). I remember not long ago NRA actually offered membership discounts for young blacks, citing the Jordan Davis and Trayvon Martin shootings as reasons for young African-Americans to buy guns. There are also opinions that the Panthers, in a way, inspired the NRA. People like Seale or Newton were carrying guns around Oakland and claiming these were tools of liberation, means of tearing down the white superstructure. Gun laws passed at the time were considered racist, on account of being targeted almost exclusively at the black community, however, a lot of whites in the South felt they would’ve been next on the government’s hit list and that’s what supposedly made the NRA wheels rolling.

      • nathkatun7

        That’s the truth! And St. Ronnie Reagan, who was governor when the Black Panthers were asserting their 2nd Amendment rights, signed the law that banned the carrying of guns within city limits.

      • http://usrimfireshooters.wordpress.com/ RimfireShooter

        The NRA helped write a number of gun control laws early on. Right up until the internal revolution in the 60-70′s(?) when the board of directors were voted out and replaced by the membership. That’s when the NRA-ILA got started to push back. That’s also around the time Gun Control peaked in the US.

        Not to cloud your assertion but the NRA did teach a lot of gun safety classes to blacks in the south during the civil rights movement. As well as help arm blacks, and black groups like the Deacon’s for Defense. MLKs group also had guns all around MLK, but that isn’t widely discussed since they portrayed themselves as non-violent

    • Christopher Foxx

      Let’s arm some black people in Texas, have them make full use of their second amendment rights,

      Which is EXACTLY how things like this should be responded to.

      - Say you get to discriminate against shoppers because of your religious freedom? Then you get discriminated against by stores who refuse to serve you on the same ridiculous grounds.
      - Insist you get a manger in the City Hall? Then an altar to Satan gets installed right next to it.
      - Insist you get to use federal lands as your own private grazing ground? Then prepare for the world’s biggest Hippiefest in that same land right next to your house.
      - Insist you get to carry your guns through a black neighborhood? Then blacks will be carrying guns down your street.

      IOW, insist on being a stupid asshole, and find out that swords always cut both ways.

  • Nefercat

    So. These clowns would be perfectly, absolutely, fiddle-dee-dee okay with the same number of heavily armed black guys strolling through their neighborhood celebrating their 2nd amendment rights? Sure.

    I’m pretty sure that after they stopped peeing themselves they would consider that sight the perfect reason to open fire on a group of “them.” “Well, we were skeered for our lives.” Maybe one of them had a lizard brain functioning well enough to be able to figure out that the people in the African-American neighborhood might think the same way and that some of them might own guns also.

    The stupid, stinking cowards would much rather terrorize unarmed families eating fast food or doing their weekend shopping at target. They want to shoot at people. They do not want people to shoot back at them.

    • Simon Saez

      Yes, but of course you are forgetting that these people believe there is a such thing as “justified terrorism.” The way to distinguish between justified and unjustified terrorism is the race of the people committing the terrorism: that committed by white people is justified, and that committed by all other races is NOT justified, and is thus worthy of a military invasion.

      • nathkatun7

        You comment reminds of the Christian concept of a “just war” especially the way the puritans applied it towards Native Americans.

    • johanneslabusch

      OMG, I swear I didn’t read your comment before posting mine. Great minds like a think…

      • Christopher Lee Hartsock

        “Great minds run in the same channel.”

        Also,
        “Fools think alike.”

        • johanneslabusch

          Lovely, thank you.

    • trgahan

      “The stupid, stinking cowards would much rather terrorize unarmed families eating fast food or doing their weekend shopping at target. They want to shoot at
      people. They do not want people to shoot back at them.”

      A very important point.

      I disagree with Bob’s assertion that groups like Open Carry or any of those cos-player’s currently sweating in the Nevada sun REALLY want a fight. They are juveniles that like pushing people who are either too weak or too principled to push back.

      You only have to dip your toe into their website’s, magazines, and other media to see all their made up “when IT happens” scenarios follow the basic pattern of a
      white guy with a gun is ALWAYS in a ridiculously advantaged position and the “enemy” always conspicuously inept.

    • feloniousgrammar

      Or maybe they got a post card saying, “You go ahead and march down our streets, Sweetpea. We’ll be on the rooftops. If someone in the neighborhood smiles and waves at you, get nervous.”

    • Michael R. Burhans

      Absolutely, it is their basic human right.

    • dirtybluefl

      So you’re a racist? Good to know.
      I wouldn’t mind anyone of any race safely open-carrying a fire arm to defend themselves or their property. If you don’t understand the levels of threat as they pertain to posturing and holsters or slings, then you have no valid opinion on the topic.

    • Offcamber
  • formerlywhatithink

    Question: So, why are the open carry gangs getting a free pass?

    Answer: white, paleoconservative rednecks

    • Toolymegapoopoo

      BINGO!!!

      • General Buttnaked

        I dont know, maybe it’s because I live in redneckistan and have spent most of my life arond guns but in my experience even the reddest of rednecks don’t do this (aside from the rare crackpot). I’m sorry but these people arent terrorists (although certainly “extreme”). They’re simply attention whores and douchbags, the lot of them.

        • Toolymegapoopoo

          You might be right, but I was responding to formerlywhatithink’s correct observation that these nuts would not be treated so kindly if they happened to be an African American movement. However, I think “terrorist” is a broad term that does apply in this case. Whether you think mass shootings are a real problem in this country or not, or whether you think the proliferation of guns like the AR-15 are responsible or not, normal people are afraid of them. Walking around a Target with one of these slung over your shoulder is done only to instill fear and intimidate using that fear. I believe that fits within the definition of terrorism.

          • Survival Journalism

            If they want to change the world so that open-carry is a normal thing everyone can get used to, they should do it another way. It’ll never take though.

          • Offcamber

            I think it’s funny how smart you guys are but you completely miss the whole point of the Open Carry movement’s carrying their rifles. They don’t want to carry rifles. They want to carry their handguns. Texas however, does not allow you to carry a handgun unless it’s concealed and you have a concealed carry license. They simply want to be able to do what the citizens of 29 other states allow their citizens to do, and that is carry a handgun in a holster on their hip. Since Texas does allow them to carry rifles openly (afterall you HAVE to allow open carry of rifles or hunting would be illegal) that is how they are demonstrating. Unfortunately every idiot liberal is terrified of guns so they are reacting like they typically do when they are confronted by something they dont understand.

          • Survival Journalism

            1. It doesn’t matter if there is a point to it. The people in this movement are all a ‘type’ of people that make this movement loose all credibility. So whatever point you think we should be getting gets tossed out the window.

            2. The assumption that idiots have some association with being liberal over this movement is because we don’t ‘understand’ the movement and taking the entire thing out of context? “Awe… boohoo, the panty-waist liberals are judging aggressive gun carriers.. boo-hoo!”

            Yes Offcamber, it’s all so difficult to understand. It’s all so over our heads we just can’t wrap our puny liberal minds around their cause. Only right wingers have the ability to grasp complex concepts of law and society, the rest of us make all this stuff up because we’re just not as smart as white militant conservative-libertarians.

          • Offcamber

            There is nothing aggressive about what they are doing. By “type of people” like all liberals, you simply mean “different”. You guys preach diversity and compassion but it’s bullshit. Your “openness” is the same prejudice that any other group like the Klan or AB’s have. You hate anything that disagrees with you. The reality is that the other side has the constitution on their side and you will never be able to change that. You will never get the numbers necessary to get rid of the second amendment so you vilify everything associated with guns or gun “culture”. You know what though? WeI don’t give a fuck. We’ll carry our guns wherever the fuck we want. The law is on our side. And if someday that should change, well, we have the guns so it won’t matter.

          • Survival Journalism

            Yeah they are aggressive. White, sense of entitlement assholes who embrace gun culture cause it makes them feel superior. You’re attempt at defending that as something to discriminate is bullshit. That’s how you like to spin things then fine? I love watching you dance around this as if it has some credibility, spoon feeding your own shit to yourself. It goes from annoying to entertaining.

            You have the constitution on your side? You guys are nothing more than radical nationalists who always think the red coats are right at the Potamic, embracing the constitution as if it were some higher power. Bring your radical Reich-wing culture, bring your guns, bring your constitution so I can wipe my hands with it after I finish sinking my fingers into your eyeballs (no guns btw) at the front lines of the next civil war.

          • Offcamber

            I love how you try to spin anything right-wing into nazi sub-culture as well. You seem to forget its the conservatives that tend to serve in the military. It’s the conservatives that signed up and fought the Nazis during WW2 while the liberals stayed at home.

            Sinking your fingers into my eyeballs? Really? Are you six years old? And I hate to tell you this but you are going to have a hard time winning a civil war without guns…I love guys like you. You are always so big bad and tough and then when you are cuffed and stuffed in the back of the car, you cry like a baby…

          • Survival Journalism

            Me not mentioning that conservatives serve in the military doesn’t mean that I forgot. But yes, it makes sense that conservatives would be the only ones stupid enough to do what the Washington suits tell them; to go fight their battles without getting their hands dirty. That bullshit they fed you made you create this military culture, because the real truth that it’s all bullshit is too hard to swallow.

            You’re more than a couple of decades late as I was six, thirty-two years ago. While you’re shooting at Thom Hartmann and Bill Mahar, I’ll be right behind you, just me and my ‘mitts.’ Cuffed and stuffed in the back of a car? Wow, talking like a true nationalist.

          • Offcamber

            Such a pussy…

          • Survival Journalism

            Come and get it, terrorist! *spreads it open for you .

    • http://usrimfireshooters.wordpress.com/ RimfireShooter

      Doubt too many gang members would be doing this. A high percentage are felons and that tends to be a red flag. They may not be the britest bunch, but most felons know being caught with a gun carries a stiff penalty (10years mandatory sentence if prosecuted in Federal court).

      • http://vermillionbrain.blogspot.com/ Vermillion

        Considering there have been attempts to remove even that limitation on firearm ownership, that may not always be the case in some of these places.

    • Michael

      Oh boo hoo. Does someone have a persecution complex? Those terrible white conservatives get away with everything, don’t they.

      I’m a liberal and I “get away” with carrying my guns all of the time.

      It isn’t because they are white and it certainly isn’t because the are conservatives, It’s because of this wonderful thing called the second amendment that insures the individuals right to keep and bear arms.

  • DubsCorleone

    I encountered some of them in Virginia while visiting, I don’t know if that’s legal out there but they were in the parking lot, I don’t fear them-I think they look utterly ridiculous

    If their intent was to scare people it didnt work, they made it a point to talk louder every time someone was walking into the store to let their presence be felt, only to be told how stupid they look…

  • trgahan

    “….because, they say, one of the members was committed to a previously scheduled even
    elsewhere.”

    In the TMP article their PR flack…er Houston newspaper blogger and member (funny how this group basically has a free access to media)…said they also needed more time to “prepare” Fifth Ward residence to have a bunch of heavily armed “old white men” (his description) in their neighborhood. So as crazy and thuggish as Open Carry may be at least someone in their group realized they were about to walk into a situation even their precious little guns weren’t going help.

    Though I really hope they do this walk and I hope they actually listen closely as the residence of the Fifth Ward explain to them “If my son did this in your neighborhood….”

    • ninjaf

      But see? They’re going into a BLACK neighborhood so that shows they aren’t racist. Because they are protesting to defend their right (in that black neighborhood) to have The Guns.

      I *think* that must be their logic?

      • JozefAL

        And that’s the kind of logic that only serves to prove these yahoos should be utterly and completely barred from owning anything more dangerous than a Swiss Army knife.

        • Mary

          And your kind of logic proves that you should be utterly and completely barred from breeding

    • bbiemeret

      “at least someone in their group realized they were about to walk into a situation even their precious little guns weren’t going help”

      That’s how I felt about it. These yahoos live in their little bubbles, thinking they are the big dogs on the block. But many AA neighborhoods, especially in Houston, are war zones in and of themselves, where actual gun violence is a regular occurrence, and just the sight of guns doesn’t scare everyone. Someone would have “popped a cap” into one of these yokels right quick.

    • feloniousgrammar

      I’ve spent some time in the Fifth Ward without a gun, by myself, and didn’t feel any fear at all. Looking people in the eye, smiling, behaving respectfully toward them, standing and walking with a relaxed posture goes a long way with most people. Perhaps as a woman it’s easier for me to look harmless, but I don’t look like an easy mark either.

      As far as strangers go, humans tend to look at how a person is carrying themselves and whether or not they’re armed. Making oneself look threatening for “political” purposes, may have it’s place, but of these asshats aren’t protecting their own neighborhood from a real and pending threat, they’re just using guns where words would do.

  • Rolf

    They’re rigid dingbats, but I seriously doubt they can push the whole country into Mad Max grade chaos. It’s a like a new fad among jocks to project delusional vision of anti-authority rebellion. Sooner or later it will die down.

    • JozefAL

      I think you’re forgetting how “Mad Max” begins. The chaos we see in the film was not the result of events IN the movie. No, the movie relates a story that starts YEARS after the chaos had already been in place. (Also, a good portion of the chaos was caused by an energy crisis, which was further emphasized in “Mad Max 2″ aka “The Road Warrior.”)

  • Fact Checker

    Some of these terrorist thugs appear to be pretending they’re living in a post-apocalyptic world where they rule and control the populace.

    Firearm wielding as impotence metaphor is apt.

    • KarenJ

      If they’re going full-immersion into the Mad Max-Con post-apocalyptic pageantry, they at least ought to lose the blue jeans, logo t-shirts, and pork-pie hat and cargo shorts.

      Get with it, man! You need leather pants and jackets, fingerless gloves, hockey pads, and bandoleers to look authentic!

    • D. Alexander

      Sometimes I wish someone would claim ‘STAND YOU GROUND” and see what happens afterwards.