Gun Show Fires Artillery Shell Into Nearby House, Gun Range Owner Insists It Was Fired Safely

The shell evidently ricocheted off a tree limb in the yard, then bounced off the ground before slamming its way through the bedroom wall of the house.
The shell evidently ricocheted off a tree limb in the yard, then bounced off the ground before slamming its way through the bedroom wall of the house.
M3_105mm_Howitzer

Adding to a long list of "responsible gun owners" accidentally shooting themselves or innocent bystanders, we turn now to Oklahoma where, during an outdoor gun show, a Howitzer artillery cannon was being demonstrated, and the first of its 14-inch shells crashed through a residential home nearly three miles away.

The shell evidently ricocheted off a tree limb in the yard, then bounced off the ground before slamming its way through the bedroom wall of the house.

"Fortunately, nobody was hurt," the homeowner Gene Kelley (no relation) told KOAM News.

The gun range owner says the weapon was fired safely by professionals at a downward projection.

"It was not on a level plane, but on a downward trend, pointed downhill in the bottom of a valley," said Mike Friend, Owner of Fast Machine Gun Shoot. "For that thing to rise and go far northwest of the range, it's just unheard of."

I see. This would have to be a physics-defying artillery shell that when fired downward "into a valley" actually travels upward and finds its way into a house miles away. We've all heard of the magic bullet theory, so this must be a magic artillery shell. Something tells me the plan wasn't to shoot it into the ground, but to test the range -- to see how far an old Howitzer shell can travel. You know, the responsible thing to do.