GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Now Accepts Bitcoin Donations

Republican Greg Abbott welcomes the "Bitcoin Community" to his campaign.
Republican Greg Abbott welcomes the "Bitcoin Community" to his campaign.
GA

Texas gubernatorial candidate Greg Abbott (R) has delivered on a promise he made in April when he said would welcome the "Bitcoin community" to his campaign. Abbott is the current attorney general of Texas, and will face state Sen. Wendy Davis (D) in the November general election to determine who will succeed Republican Rick Perry. Bitcoin -- a digital currency alternative to money issued by central banks -- is popular among libertarians and others who think the Federal Reserve is the greatest threat to liberty since King George III, which is to say, potential Abbott voters:

This isn't surprising given that Abbott has sued the federal government 27 times in a five year span.

Bitcoin donors to Abbott's campaign see this message on his campaign's website:

Hello, Bitcoin Community! Texas law allows political campaigns to accept contributions of currency or other assets. Because state and federal law do not currently recognize Bitcoin as currency, your contribution to Texans for Greg Abbott of Bitcoin will be listed as an in-kind contribution to the campaign. In order to comply with State Law, we must attribute your Bitcoin donation to you and thus collect the following pieces of information.

Call me crazy, but something tells me that the type of people who use Bitcoin aren't chomping at the bit to make an overt political contribution to a major party candidate.