Here’s How Breathtakingly Cynical the GOP’s Lawsuit Against Obama Is

Last week, we brought you the story of the latest unprecedented congressional Republican weapon against the White House: the frivolous lawsuit. Specifically, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) is considering legal action to overturn the president’s executive orders (EOs) in spite of the fact that every president since George Washington has used executive orders to enact policies and implement congressional legislation, among other things.

Since then, there have been a lot of tweets, memes and online discussions about how President Obama has issued considerably fewer EOs than nearly every president since the second Grover Cleveland administration, and in fact the absolute fewest EOs among all two-term presidents, even if he signs 100 more over the next two years. This is empirically true and, as with many of the GOP attacks against this administration, the reality of what happened prior to January 20, 2009 reveals a cynical double-standard, not to mention the existence of mass hypocrisy on behalf of the opposition party.

But the numbers only tell half the story.

On this week’s Fox News Sunday, anchor Chris Wallace grilled Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-CA) over the nature of the Obama EOs, while Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA-real-name) lashed out with the usual nonsense about how the president’s constitutional role is merely to “faithfully execute the laws” — not to “take powers resting in the Congress” or to change “laws that have been passed.” Wallace listed four allegedly very serious presidential trespasses against the Constitution, trespasses which the GOP believes are lawsuit worthy:

fox_news_sunday_obama_actions

–Ordered DOJ to stop defending DOMA (Feb. 2011)

–Deferred deportations (June 2012)

–Raised min wage for fed contractors (Feb. 2014)

–Dozens of changes to Obamacare (2011-present)

1) Stopped defending DOMA. First of all, the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) claim by Fox News Sunday is misleading. The administration merely announced that it would no longer defend in court the constitutionality Section Three of DOMA. Meanwhile, it continued to enforce the law until the Supreme Court overturned it. Furthermore, it wasn’t an executive order; it was announced to Speaker Boehner in a letter.

From the president’s letter of February, 2011:

Notwithstanding this determination, the President has informed me that Section 3 will continue to be enforced by the Executive Branch. To that end, the President has instructed Executive agencies to continue to comply with Section 3 of DOMA, consistent with the Executive’s obligation to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, unless and until Congress repeals Section 3 or the judicial branch renders a definitive verdict against the law’s constitutionality.

Reuters:

In a filing on Monday, DOJ attorneys reiterated that Obama told executive agencies to enforce the law until Congress repealed it — even though the administration would no longer defend its constitutionality in court.

So I think we can safely strike that one entirely off Wallace’s list.

2) Deferred Deportations. While the GOP maintains that this is one of at least several unprecedented examples of the Obama White House trampling the Constitution, we only need to look back to the only modern president who signed fewer EOs than President Obama: President George H.W. Bush. Here’s the salient paragraph from Bush 41’s Executive Order 12711 – Policy Implementation With Respect to Nationals of the People’s Republic of China, dated April 11, 1990:

The Attorney General is directed to take any steps necessary to defer until January 1, 1994, the enforced departure of all nationals of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and their dependents who were in the United States on or after June 5, 1989, up to and including the date of this order (hereinafter “such PRC nationals”).

Also, the Obama administration’s deferments had to do with immigrants who arrived as children.

To be eligible, immigrants must prove they arrived in the United States before they turned 16, are 30 or younger, have been living here at least five years, and are in school or graduated or served in the military.

On top of all that, each immigrant must apply for the deferment and pay a ridiculously expensive $465 application fee. But Fox News Sunday wants us to believe this was an across-the-board temporary amnesty of sorts.

3) Raised the Minimum Wage for Defense Contractors. This was an action that’s well within the reach of the Department of Defense and the White House. In the 1960s, both President Kennedy and President Johnson ordered contractors to desegregate their work forces. In 2001, President Bush ordered that contractors inform their workers that they’re under no obligation to unionize. Bush also issued the following EOs pertaining to contractor wages and employment:

Preservation of Open Competition and Government Neutrality Towards Government Contractors’ Labor Relations on Federal and Federally Funded Construction Projects

Revocation of Executive Order on Nondisplacement of Qualified Workers under Certain Contracts

Reforming Processes Related to Suitability for Government Employment, Fitness for Contractor Employees, and Eligibility for Access to Classified National Security Information

Granting Reciprocity on Excepted Service and Federal Contractor Employee Fitness and Reinvestigating Individuals in Positions of Public Trust

4) Dozens of changes to Obamacare. Right off the bat, a basic knowledge of civics shows that’s part of the role of the executive branch is to implement laws passed by Congress. Put another way, it’s a long-accepted fact that each federal agency writes rules and terms for the implementation of applicable laws passed by Congress. The Administrative Procedure Act of 1946, a bill passed by Congress, gives the executive branch the power to create those rules and regulations. The so-called “changes” to Obamacare involve the implementation of the (very big and complicated) law.

Rewinding again to the previous administration, here are several examples of EOs signed by President Bush regarding the implementation of laws

Further Amendments to Executive Orders 12139 and 12949 in Light of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 Amendments Act of 2008

Waiver Under the Trade Act of 1974 with Respect to Turkmenistan

Assigning Foreign Affairs Functions and Implementing the Enterprise for the Americas Initiative and the Tropical Forest Conservation Act

Delegation of Certain Authorities and Assignment of Certain Functions Under the Trade Act of 2002

This list doesn’t include Bush’s 140 signing statements, nor does it include the list the 750 laws which the Bush administration claimed it had the power to entirely disregard.

President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Among the laws Bush said he can ignore are military rules and regulations, affirmative-action provisions, requirements that Congress be told about immigration services problems, “whistle-blower” protections for nuclear regulatory officials, and safeguards against political interference in federally funded research.

Any questions, Mr. Speaker? Mr. Wallace?

We return now to the self-evident fact that this is a frivolous lawsuit. Nothing more. It relies almost entirely on the cynical notion that most Americans are frustratingly uneducated about the functioning of the U.S. government, while also dreadfully forgetful when it comes to history that took place just five or ten years ago. Through this loophole of ignorance, the congressional Republicans have been getting away with political murder for the last five years, with truth and reason as the first victims.

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

Fox News Thinks 'The Interview' Flap Is Obama's Fault

Fox News Thinks 'The Interview' Flap Is Obama's Fault

  • nathkatun7

    “We return now to the self-evident fact that this is a frivolous lawsuit. Nothing more. It relies almost entirely on the cynical notion that most Americans are frustratingly uneducated about the functioning of the U.S. government, while also dreadfully forgetful when it comes to history that took place just five or ten years ago. Through this loophole of ignorance, the congressional Republicans have been getting away with political murder for the last five years, with truth and reason as the first victims.”

    It’s my personal opinion that the Republicans in Congress have been able to get away with all this BS because the so called mainstream media have failed miserably to properly inform the American people. As a matter of fact, a case can be made to show how most of our so called mainstream media, but especially the White House Press Corp (WHPC), have been complicit in allowing Republicans to get “away with political murder for the last five years, with truth and reason as the first victims.”

  • burbank_burt

    Great post Bob!

  • oneking90

    Obama and the Democratic Party should be destroyed by his corruption, except the main-stream media and the Republican Party are accessories in his extravaganza of crime.

    Obama’s narcissism and conceit are overpowering. His lack of knowledge unrivaled. We are a worldwide joke because of him. He is a bungling, slipshod and deceptive man?

    But nothing will happen to him and we all know why. He has committed enough high crimes and misdemeanors to merit charges, but no one will say or do anything because they are scared of being called racists.

    Lefty’s love to use the race card. You draw it like a gun. I don’t blame you. You have no arguments. Race and profanity is all you’ve got. It is your favorite first and last safe place on any topic. Every Lefty is hard-wired to plug into the race card, and has no qualms about using it for political advantage.

    Additionally, you ran Joe Biden as VP. You have the American people right where you want them … and there is nothing that can be done so long as Delaware Joe is the back-up.

    Get rid of Obama and you’ll get the biggest goof ball VP to ever stream warm piss into a bucket Joe Biden’s behavior is so bizarre no sane person takes him seriously. This man couldn’t pour water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel. He is dumber than a box of hair. Half the time he doesn’t know where he is or why he’s there. If he had another brain, it would be lonely.

    So, don’t worry, the fix is in one way or another, no matter what any evidence reveals. Short of intervention from Heaven, Obama will remain President of the United States for the full term.

    • chris ellis

      What did any of thr above have to do with Bob’s piece?

      I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

      • D_C_Wilson

        It’s funny how he claims that “Lefty’s” (sic) have no arguments and yet, in that entire diatribe, he failed to mention on specific high crime or misdemeaner out of the many that Obama supposedly has committed.

        • http://thegloomyhistorian.blogspot.com/ The Gloomy Historian

          Should we simply be in awe that he can spell?

    • undsoweiter

      There, there. There, there.

    • HaHa

      Whoaa, excellent maneuver there Dorothy. I think that you’ve successfully used every redstate buzzword right there. Keep making Erick proud, you magnificent bastard. Also and quite notably, you have very artfully cast snotty and privileged judgement from right there on your sofa in the basement. I recognize that that Church Lady gambit is well-practiced in your home.

      As a favor to you and because you’ve shown such promise with your first round I’ll confide to you that if you ever hope to make the finals, you’ll need to keep up the hard work because all of your practicing in front of the steamy bathhouse mirror is beginning to pay dividends, but you are not quite there yet. Consider practicing with a partner before the next round begins later tonight. Oopie-poopie, pardon me a moment please
        ….
        ….
        ….

      Okay! And we’re back. Our wonderful and beneficent sponsor for the competition this afternioon has just reminded me that Louie’s Asparagus a’la Habanero is two-for-one while the young ditto-heads are competing today and through the end of the competition tomorrow. I’ve also just been informed that you need to get off the ice now so that the next junior genius of the wring wing can begin their own routine. So to tie this up in a neat little bow, little man, the judges have conferred and

      Since, even in your sad failure, you were able to successfully complete your performance without a being a complete embarassment to your species,   ….     ….   Yes! 5.1, 4.8, 5.7 and,   ….   5.5.

      Congratulations! Young Republican You may get the heck out now. I am sure that we will meet again soon.

      BTW: Your king is a doofus child-rapist on a massive ego trip. Which is so doubly puzzling because he is so weak and impotent all at the same time.

      PeeEss: Biden 2016   …   We love you Smokin’ Joe!
      PeePeeEss: protip:Disguise your teensy chub better next round. m’kay?

    • nathkatun7

      “Race and profanity is all you’ve got. It is your favorite first and last safe place on any topic.”

      “Get rid of Obama and you’ll get the biggest goof ball VP to ever stream warm piss into a bucket”

      Please, idiot, get yourself a mirror! While you are it, consult a shrink! You need mental help. Your comment, exemplified by these two quotations, is all about right wing projections.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Oh really?!!

  • http://thegloomyhistorian.blogspot.com/ The Gloomy Historian

    Comparisons with the recent past are often a blind spot in our mainstream institutions. Journalists generally avoid it, insiders especially when worried about access. Historians do not begin serious analysis and discussion of events until twenty years have passed. I wish there were more writers like Bob willing to jump into that gray area on a regular basis.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Through this loophole of ignorance, the congressional Republicans have been getting away with political murder for the last five years, with truth and reason as the first victims.

    They’d get away with it far less if Democrats persistently and loudly called them on it each time they pulled this shit.

    • muselet

      Democrats could shout until they were blue in the face, but it wouldn’t matter. History began on 20 January 2009. Therefore, everything this president does is unprecedented!

      –alopecia

      • Christopher Foxx

        Democrats could shout until they were blue in the face, but it wouldn’t matter

        I disagree with buying into the futility idea. It smacks of “I don’t want to make that effort, so I’m going to declare it pointless.”

        Which, admittedly and alas, has been a Democratic approach. But I’ll maintain that, if they were both persistent and loud about the Republican’s childishness, the Republicans wouldn’t be able to get away with a lot of what they have.

        • muselet

          If the Ds grew a spine and were persistent and loud about calling out the Rs’ nonsense, our glorious news media—especially, but not exclusively, that portion which reports from Washington—would yammer on about how terribly rude! the Ds were being, and that such a thing never happened when Tip’n’Ronnie ran DC.

          I’m not saying the Ds shouldn’t make clear to everyone that the Rs are behaving outrageously, just that they shouldn’t expect to have much effect.

          –alopecia

          • Christopher Foxx

            If they were persistent and loud, it would have an effect. Not immediately, but that’s where the persistence comes in.

            And I still vehemently disagree with buying into the futility idea. “If they grow a spine the press will still be mean. And it won’t make a difference anyway, so why bother?” Really?

          • muselet

            Go through my comments history. You’ll see I’ve been saying for years that progressives need to play the long game. Also, I doubt you’ll find a single instance of me saying “why bother?” on any subject.

            It won’t be impossible to change the cultures of The Village and of our glorious news media, but it will take a very long time. A significant percentage of progressives—you know, like the ones who sat out the 2010 elections because things weren’t changing fast enough for their tastes—don’t have the patience for such an undertaking.

            I repeat, I’m not saying the Ds shouldn’t call the Rs out on their shenanigans.

            I am trying to be a realist.

            –alopecia

          • Christopher Foxx

            You’ll see I’ve been saying for years that progressives need to play the long game.

            A downside of posted comments: the lack of vocal inflection. Mine sounded softer in my head than I suspect it came across on screen.

            I wasn’t intending to suggest you particularly were defeatist. But I’ve seen a lot of comments where the very first thing written (and therefore presumably the foremost thought the person has) is an excuse for why trying to improve/change things is pointless. Yours struck me in a similar vein, perhaps differently than you heard it in your head?

          • nathkatun7

            Yep! The media doesn’t pay attention to Democrats!

          • Christopher Foxx

            Yep! The media doesn’t pay attention to Democrats!

            Yes, the news media fails. Big time.

            But the Democrats are largely to blame for letting the Republicans run rampant in the news for the last several couple decades.

          • nathkatun7

            What should Democrats do when the media invites mainly Republicans as guests to comment on the supposedly big stories? How can Democrats control questions by WHPC, which are often framed based on Republican talking points by reporters like Jon Kyle, Chuck Todd, Ed Henry and Major Garrett? What should Democrats do when the media refuses to carry some of President Obama’s major speeches, and especially those he gives abroad? Democrats don’t control news. News media do! It’s the news media who determines what we see on television and what we read in the papers.

            To blame Democrats for what the media, and especially the national media, do lets the media off-the-hook!

          • Christopher Foxx

            “,I> How can Democrats control questions by WHPC, which are often framed based on Republican talking points by reporters like Jon Kyle, Chuck Todd, Ed Henry and Major Garrett?”

            Yes, because every politician ever has always answered the question actually posed to them.

            I swear to god I’m sick of the “But what can we do? It’s hopeless!” whine.

            What should Democrats do when the media refuses to carry some of President Obama’s major speeches, and especially those he gives abroad?

            I guess it’s my fault. I keep forgetting how utterly powerless the President of the United States is when compared to a Chuck Todd.

            To blame Democrats for what the media, and especially the national media, do lets the media off-the-hook!

            The media’s failure to be responsible is on them, yes. But the Democrats using that as an excuse to let the media get away with it is a cop out.

          • nathkatun7

            Thank you very much for your condescension! May be I did not make myself very clear! As far as I am concerned, he controls the medium controls the message! If that is what you call whining, so be it!

          • Christopher Foxx

            All I said was that the National media has been in cahoots with the GOP’s agenda of making sure that President Obama failed

            Certainly significant portions have been. There’s no denying that. But to suggest every outlet, that the entirety of the “National media” is against Obama and that there is nothing that can be done, no control of the situation available to Democrats at all, is inaccurate. Rachel Maddow, Steven Cobert, Bill Maher, MSNBC and many others have a more (sometimes significant) progressive bent.

            And even the more conservative outlets, as I already said, would like to have leading Democrats on if for no other reason than to attempt to beat them up on air. And all the Democrats need to do in any such confrontation is to not allow conservative lies go unchallenged. Basically, to stand up for themselves (and, consequently, us).

            By the way, I think that it’s rather simplistic to a accuse a president who, despite the unprecedented media hostility, has been elected and then re-elected, for being a poor communicator.

            I agree. But, then, I’m not the one who said he hadn’t effectively gotten his messages out.

            I totally understand that in certain intellectual circles it’s chic to always find fault with the Democrats.

            A fair observation. Simply saying “Democrats never stand up for themselves” is as intellectual lazy and basically dishonest as simply saying “Things are so stacked against Dems that there’s little they can do.”

            But I don’t believe I’ve done that. I’ve acknowledged several times that things are stacked, that the Dems have a challenging task and that it isn’t easy. And now that you’ve brought them up I’ll note that I agree they have had some achievements in holding on to seats in recent elections and, although you didn’t bring them up, some legislative achievements despite Republican obstructionism.

            But that doesn’t mean that they haven’t had many missed opportunities and have been too unwilling to actively, openly and persistently counter Republican lies.

      • nathkatun7

        Exactly! Just look at the lopsided guests on Sunday shows in favor of Republicans? Listen to the questions posed by the White House Press Corp., which repeat verbatim GOP talking points! Look at how the media magnifies polls unfavorable to the President but say absolutely nothing about the dismal polls of the GOP dominated Congress. The 24-7 cable and Networks news channels routinely refuse to cover important speeches by President Obama. So most Americans never get to hear what he said. Instead, the rely on media pundits who routinely lie or distort what he said. As far as I am concerned, I think there is ample evidence to prove that most the U.S. beltway media have, from day one, been in cahoots with the Republican party in trying to undermine and defeat President Obama. They (the media) always find a way of minimizing, or totally ignoring, his accomplishments, while exaggerating and amplifying his perceived failures.

        Thank god for the alternative/social media, despite their shortcomings. Without them, people,relying on the negative portrayals of the President in the mainstream media, would demanding President Obama’s head.

        • Christopher Foxx

          xactly! Just look at the lopsided guests on Sunday shows in favor of Republicans? Listen to the questions posed by the White House Press Corp., which repeat verbatim GOP talking points!

          NOTHING prevents the Democrats from getting on the Sunday shows in equal numbers making even more forceful statements. NOTHING prevents Democrats from responding to those GOP-talking-point questions by pointing out the question is just a reiteration of the GOP’s false talking points.

          Calling those reporters out will hurt for a bit as they strike back (petulant self-absorbed media star wannabees that they are) but the tide will turn and that cannot be anything but better for progressives.

          “Sam, you’re smarter than to fall for the GOP lies. Certainly you have a question that isn’t just a re-iteration of the GOP’s false talking points.” It would stun them for a moment because, hey, no fair, you’re not playing the game right! and be very much what the Democrats need.

          • nathkatun7

            “NOTHING prevents the Democrats from getting on the Sunday shows in equal numbers making even more forceful statements.”

            Are you honestly suggesting that Democrats are to blame for not being invited on the Sunday shows? May be I am uninformed but I didn’t think that guests have any say so as to who does or does not appear on those shows. As far I know the hosts of those shows are the ones who decide on which guests to invite. Am I mistaken on this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

          • Christopher Foxx

            As far I know the hosts of those shows are the ones who decide on which guests to invite. Am I mistaken on this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

            Yes, you’re mistaken a bit. It’s actually largely the producers, in conjunction with the host, who arrange guests. How much is producer and how much is host depends on the host, but it’s primarily producers. But it’s as often a guest looking for a slot as it is a producer pursuing a guest.

            Are you honestly suggesting that Democrats are to blame for not being invited on the Sunday shows?

            As far I know the hosts of those shows are the ones who decide on which guests to invite. Am I mistaken on this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

            I knew someone would bring this up. I considered addressing it in my original comment, but knew, in the usual “but what can we do? We’re at the mercy of others?” knew someone would bring it up.

            Yes, you are mistaken. It’s actually largely the producers, in conjunction with the host, who arrange guests. How much is producer and how much is host depends on the host. But really who makes the phone call is utterly irrelevant.

            Do you really think everyone who ever appears on a talk show just sits around waiting for the phone to ring, hoping they’ll get invited to join the party? Of course not. Yes, the producers of those shows, like the producers of any talk show (be it Meet the Press or The Tonight Show) , seek out guests and try to book folks they want to have on. But also folks who want to get a message out use their contacts etc to get booked.

            Do you really think if Reid or Pelosi or Kerry or Denis McDonough or any leading Democrat wanted to get on a Sunday talk show (or Colbert or Bill Maher or …) that they couldn’t get their staff to arrange it? That the producers/host of that show wouldn’t want a chance to either support or attack (depending on their agenda) a high ranking person on their show?

          • nathkatun7

            “Do you really think if Reid or Pelosi or Kerry or Denis McDonough or any leading Democrat wanted to get on a Sunday talk show (or Colbert or Bill Maher or …) that they couldn’t get their staff to arrange it?”

            I honestly don’t know the answer to your question. Moreover, I am not sure what I think, without any factual information to back it up, makes any difference at all. But if you are privy to the information that Democrats are to blame for not requesting, or better still adamantly insisting, to appear on those Sunday shows, I would greatly appreciate you sharing it with us.

          • Christopher Foxx

            But if you are privy to the information that Democrats are to blame for not requesting, or better still adamantly insisting, to appear on those Sunday shows, I would greatly appreciate you sharing it with us.

            My point, nathkatun, was and remains that Democrats can be far more effective at countering Republicans than they have been. It isn’t easy and things may be stacked against their efforts at times, but the rush to point that out rather than deal with it and move on merely shows how quick Democrats and their supporters are to make excuses rather than take action.

  • feloniousgrammar

    Clinton gave an executive order guaranteeing that anyone who had an organ transplant through MEDICAID/MEDICARE would be guaranteed anti-rejection medications for life. I thought that was a wise and efficient use of executive authority.

    One of the first executive orders made by Baby Bush reversed that. I haven’t been able to find any contemporaneous articles mentioning this executive order, but it was official.

    Maybe he was just warming up for the Patriot Act, launching a preventive war, and watching New Orleans drown.

    • Aaron Litz

      Oh my God. “We’ll give you a new organ, but if your body rejects it it’s not our problem.”

      That’s just disgusting.

      It’s little things like that that make it so damn clear why the idiots who try to claim that both parties are just as bad as each other are so full of shit.

    You would have made a competent attorney, Mr. Cesca.
    Good memo.

    • muselet

      High praise, indeed.

      –alopecia

  • D_C_Wilson

    This is just a fundraising scheme. It’s to get the base fired up and open their check books. I’m surprised they didn’t include a mention of czars in their lawsuit.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I think the Republicans are still pandering to the Tea Party base, despite their insistence that they want to marginalize them. I believe they still frighten so-called traditional Republicans like Boehner.

    • FlipYrWhig

      I don’t think it’s just the money, because they can get bigger checks from less-crazy people — the Chamber of Commerce types who just want low taxes and less regulation and don’t care about leprous immigrants and Benghazi and Teh Kweers. But there aren’t enough blandly upper-middle-class-to-rich people voting for them anymore, many having drifted towards pro-business Democrats, so the Republican Party has to make up for it by providing antics for their most excitable, most dedicated, foot soldiers in clown shoes.

      • feloniousgrammar

        rab·ble-rous·er[rab-uhl-rou-zer]

        noun

        a person who stirs up the passions or prejudices of the public, usually for his or her own interests;demagogue.

        Sometimes I feel really sorry for the poor and/or hard-working conservatives who are, I think, the butt of these clown’s jokes.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Sometimes I feel really sorry for the poor and/or hard-working conservatives who are, I think, the butt of these clown’s jokes.

          My sympathy for victims is considerably lessened when they willfully work for their own victimhood.

      • D_C_Wilson

        But real money these days is coming from billionaires like the Koch Brothers. You can never pander too much to their hatred of the Evil Kenyan Atheist Muslim Nazi Pinko Commie Usurper for them.

  • Draxiar

    There’s a real vindictive part of me that wants the Democrats to inflict all the petty shit on the next Republican president that the Republicans are inflicting on President Obama. Once the Republicans cry foul the Dems can say, “Oh really? Well let’s talk about that from the perspective of 2008-2016.”

    The pragmatic and more logical part of me wants the country to progress and not get caught in the infantile tactics of the Republicans who are marginalizing themselves with those tactics.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Just like they’ve all conveniently forgotten everything that Bush did, everything the republicans did to obstruct Obama will go down the memory hole. Anything the democrats might do in retaliation will be shocking and “unprecedented.” And our “liberal media” won’t remember any of this nonsense either.

      • nathkatun7

        Exactly!

    • undsoweiter

      Nuhuh. Next Republican president. Yer funny.

    • feloniousgrammar

      “Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics.”

    • Synclavius

      As much as I want that as well, the Republicans (unlike the Democrats) would go full civil-war if treated the same way they treat us, since they don’t give a shit about America, just the maintenance of their own power.

    • nathkatun7

      Unfortunately, Democrats can never get away with that because the media will be right there calling them out. Clearly, the media are not afraid to challenge Democrats, but they are deathly afraid to challenge Republicans. Does any one remember the Sunday News shows overwhelmingly booking Democrats to challenge and denigrate President Bush? Ever since President Obama was elected, those same Sunday shows have booked predominantly Republicans who routinely challenge and trash President Obama.

    • Tommygun

      While your desire is only natural, it is based on the assumption that there will ever be another President with an “R” behind his/her name, at least within our lifetimes. Given the fact that the Republican party hasn’t won a national election since 2004 (and even then, winning by questionable means – note the subsequent conviction of two Ohio Republican party operatives for rigging the vote in 2004), it appears unlikely they will in the next 2-4 Presidential election cycles at the very least. And with all of the party infighting between the two major controlling factions: the far-right radical fringe that turns a blind eye to racists, & the EXTREMELY far-right radical fringe that embraces racists; the Republicans have degenerated into a party capable of only winning local elections within heavily gerrymander districts, where blatant racism, sexism & veiled anti-semitism help rather than hinder campaigns.

      This isn’t a cause for celebration in my opinion – the absence of a viable, serious opposition from the right not only breeds complacency within the Democratic party & fosters corruption, a lack of substantive debate & inability to act within the halls of Congress hobbles our system of government – it is merely an observation. Furthermore, the tendency to side with corporate interests within elements of the Democratic party establishment (at best a reflexive tendency, at worst outright corruption) threatens progress just as much as the backward & discriminatory policies of the Republican party.

      While visiting the same petty vindictiveness upon the next President from the Republican party is an amusing exercise in revenge fantasy, at this point it is little more than that. All of us with progressive goals, whether we be establishment Democratic party loyalists, liberals without part affiliation, or the rarest of all – reasonable conservatives who are not motivated by racism or religious zealotry & realize there is no longer a place for them within the Republican party – need to concentrate on the most immediate goal ahead: the 2014 midterm elections. The Republican party primaries have proven that the common wisdom narrative driven by the corporate media is nothing more than wishful propaganda. The democratic process is corrupt & stumbling, but not completely irrelevant or useless.

  • DubsCorleone

    I’m starting a petition to get Bush and Cheney arrested for war crimes-I have time on my hands, I think my petition makes more sense
    They have nothing else better to do than waste our time and resources on a bunch of foolishness

  • nerdnam

    Fundamentally, all of this, the ‘scandals’ and the lawsuits and the absurd charges, is mostly entertainment for Republican rubes, something to create excitement and to pass the time until Obama leaves office.

    • imavettoo

      They can hardly wait for another Clinton Administration.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I guess it’s better than trying to actually govern.

      • cityspeak

        Governing is so hard! Much easier to take your poop and throw it against the wall and see what sticks.
        Feces throwing monkeys is what the current GOP has devolved into.