Dave Brat: Jesus, Not Another One of These A**holes

There are plenty of reasons why this country is completely fucked and has been allowed to degenerate into utter madness, but the fact that we not only sanction a belief in bronze-age fairy-tales but actually elevate it to government office has got to be somewhere near the core of the problem.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
There are plenty of reasons why this country is completely fucked and has been allowed to degenerate into utter madness, but the fact that we not only sanction a belief in bronze-age fairy-tales but actually elevate it to government office has got to be somewhere near the core of the problem.
Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 11.11.54 PM

Here's your quote of the day:

“It's a miracle... God acted through the people on my behalf.”

-- Dave Brat, the Tea Party candidate who just toppled House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in the Republican primary, during a post-victory interview with Sean Hannity

Brat is a strict Christian Reconstructionist, which means that he supports a theocratic government and holds extraordinarily radical beliefs when it comes to the role that God should play in the lives of believers and non-believers alike. As far as Reconstructionists are concerned, the Bible is the standard for morality that all must adhere to and those in violation of its tenets as they interpret them -- gays, blasphemers, the irredeemably sinful -- should be subject to punishment by the state. In fact, Rousas John Rushdoony, who founded the Calvinist-based sect, declared that Christianity and democracy were "inevitably enemies."

Lovely. Another asshole clinging to ancient superstition and ready to disregard thousands of years of scientific advancement and human enlightenment is likely going to become one of the 435 "superlatives" we've chosen to sit in our House of Representatives. There are plenty of reasons why this country is completely fucked and has been allowed to degenerate into utter madness, but the fact that we not only sanction a belief in bronze-age fairy-tales but actually elevate it to government office has got to be somewhere near the core of the problem. Both parties do it but only the GOP and its Tea Party insurgents have explicit intellectual violence actually written into their charter. They don't trust nor care one bit about provable science, but they sure as hell will drop the name of the Lord every few minutes like there's a Skinner Box treat in it for them.

And what's worse is that Brat isn't even some cynical prick pandering to his constituency -- he's a True Believer. In the year 2014 he holds tightly to the idea that everyone should be mandated to follow the commands of a 2,000-year-old book written by people who by modern standards knew almost nothing about anything.

This. This is why we suck.