The Daily Banter Mail Bag: Alex Jones, The World Cup and Clickhole!

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss what to do about Alex Jones, watching the World Cup and The Onion's new Clickhole site.
In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss what to do about Alex Jones, watching the World Cup and The Onion's new Clickhole site.
World-Cup

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss what to do about Alex Jones, watching the World Cup and The Onion's new Clickhole site.

The questions:

1. Alex Jones in my opinion showed that he can do a lot of damage this week. He also showed that he's got no intention of letting up. Is there ANYTHING decent people can do to stop this psychopath before he helps influence more violence?
-- Steve

Ben: Well, I'm on vacation at the moment, so I'll have to put the good fight off till I get back. But yeah, there is. And it consists of debunking him over and over and over again.

Chez: I wish I knew what to do. The problem with Jones is that he has no oversight at all; he's his own boss. When Glenn Beck went completely off the deep end with his daily conspiracy matrix -- which by the way did inspire at least two people to go on spree killings, one in California and the other in Pittsburgh -- at least Fox News had the good sense to finally detach itself from him. But what makes Jones so strong, and such difficult to fight against, is that there's nobody to pull the plug on him. There was a time before the internet when these kinds of lunatics were consigned to sharing newsletters by mail and that kept them at bay, but social media has changed everything. The only thing I can think to do is keep the pressure on -- constantly. True, you can't reason with assholes like him, but never letting up on him is a way to remind people that he's a serious issue.

Bob: It seems like we get this question a lot. Honestly, I don't know if there is anything that can be done outside of mocking him relentlessly -- to illustrate in any way possible that he's a menace.

2. Will you be watching the World Cup and if so, any preferences? Ben, I assume you're an England fan?
-- Carl

Chez: Oh yes. I await the World Cup every four years like a kid awaits Christmas. I'd of course love to see the USA at least make a respectable showing but they're never gonna win. I'm always pushing for the Italians because that's the motherland for yours truly, but Spain and England are up there somewhere. Ironically given where the Cup is being held this year, I fucking HATE Brazil. Yeah, I know, they play next-level "futbol" but they've always just annoyed the piss out of me.

Bob: Nope. I love the fútbol, but I spend all of my domestic life sports-watching dollars every July with a full month of nightly Tour de France coverage. If I added anything else, I'd be sleeping in the yard.

Ben: Yes, I will be watching. I'm in Spain for the next few days and the have World Cup fever big time. Generally, I don't watch soccer that much, but when it comes to England in the World Cup, it becomes like a religion in a very fundamentalist kind of a way.

3. Given how much you mock Buzzfeed what's your opinion of the new Onion site that also mocks it... Clickhole?
-- Thalia

Bob: I was just looking at it. I'm so sick of clickbait, especially on Facebook, even The Onion ripping it to shreds isn't funny to me.

Chez: It's number one on the list of 27 sites that best make fun of the stupidity that is Buzzfeed.

Ben: I fucking love The Onion. It's one of the most honest publications out there  - which isn't saying much given it's a satire site.