What Exactly Does Rick Santorum Want the Government to Give Away for Free?

Bibles? Firearms? Blah people? Nope, nope and nope. Better.
Bibles? Firearms? Blah people? Nope, nope and nope. Better.
120105_santorum_professor_a

Bibles? Firearms? Blah people? Nope, nope and nope. Better.

Speaking at the University of Chicago's Institute of Politics, the former U.S. senator and presidential frontrunner Rick Santorum was asked about his views on Catholicism and contraceptives. Of course, Santorum is no fan of Obamacare or its requirement that all health insurance companies provide free contraception coverage. However, his suggested alternative is, frankly, kind of awesome.

"It would be less objectionable to me," Santorum said, "for the government to go out and say we're going to pay for all the pharmacies to stock contraception and give them out free. Am I paying for it indirectly? Yes, through my taxes, but I pay for a lot of things with my taxes that I don't like."

Hmm. Interesting. So Rick Santorum supports single-payer for contraceptives. Why stop there? Why not have the government pay for all medical services and "give them out for free?" That's single-payer. Santorum believes in single-payer, so-called "socialized medicine," more than he believes in the government mandating coverage for particular forms of medical care.

He also doesn't appear to understand that a not insignificant chunk of Americans enrolled in Medicaid or an exchange policy are receiving government subsidies that pay for things like contraception.

But why try to convince him otherwise? After all, Santorum is the first Republican to step up and endorse single-payer. He just doesn't know it yet.