RuPaul on People Who Complain About the Word "Tranny": "Bitch, You Need To Get Stronger"

On the latest episode of Marc Maron's WTF podcast, RuPaul once again lets loose on those who have an issue with his use of language some within the transgender community find offensive. His main point: that it's really only a handful of activists and they basically need to calm the fuck down.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
On the latest episode of Marc Maron's WTF podcast, RuPaul once again lets loose on those who have an issue with his use of language some within the transgender community find offensive. His main point: that it's really only a handful of activists and they basically need to calm the fuck down.
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 3.14.30 PM

One of the problems with demanding an apology from someone is that if by some chance that person actually concedes, the apology you're getting is by its very nature not really an apology -- it's just something he or she was forced to do. For example, when a vocal segment of the transgender activist community took RuPaul to task for throwing the word "tranny" around and for the ongoing use of the word "she-male" during a specific segment of his show, RuPaul's Drag Race, he and World of Wonder productions publicly apologized and declared the phrase "You've got She-mail" -- get it? -- off-limits.

At the time, in a joint statement, the two said, "We wanted to thank the community for sharing their concerns around a recent segment and the use of the term 'she-mail' on Drag Race... We did not intend to cause any offense, but in retrospect we realize that it was insensitive. We sincerely apologize." It seemed like a bit of a turnaround from someone who had once chastised former N'Sync singer Lance Bass for backing down after being criticized for using the word "tranny." Ru claimed he would've handled the outrage differently. "I wish he would have said, 'Fuck you, you tranny jerk!" were, I believe, his exact words.

Well, so much for "Rupologizing." On the latest episode of Marc Maron's WTF podcast, RuPaul once again lets loose on those who have an issue with his use of language some within the transgender community find offensive. His main point: that it's really only a handful of activists and they basically need to calm the fuck down.

"Does the word 'tranny' bother me? No. I love the word 'tranny.' ... It's not the transexual community who's saying that. These are fringe people who are looking for storylines to strengthen their identity as victims. That is what we are dealing with. It's not the trans community. 'Cause most people who are trans have been through hell and high water... But some people haven't and they've used their victimhood to create a situation where, 'No! You look at me! I want you to see me the way you're supposed to see me!' You know, if your idea of happiness has to do with someone else changing what they say, what they do, you are in for a fucking hard-ass road... I dance to the beat of a different drummer. I believe everybody -- you can be whatever the hell you wanna be, I ain't stopping you. But don't you dare tell me what I can do or what I can't -- say or can't do. It's just words, like, 'Yeah, you hurt me!' Bitch, you need to get stronger. If you're upset by something I said you have bigger problems than you think."

RuPaul isn't the only queer celebrity to go on the warpath against what for all intents and purposes is the PC language police. Buck Angel, a female-to-male transgender porn star said this a couple of months ago with regard to the "pseudo-academic jargon" and hyper-specific designations for sexuality and gender some are now demanding (and which Facebook has adopted):

"It’s like you have to speak in baby talk, OK? So when you start saying ‘cisgender,’ I don’t use the word ‘cisgender,’ I don’t even know what that fucking means. And by making all this new vocabulary, bottom line is they’re alienating the rest of the people in the world who want to understand and then get sort of irritated—they just don’t understand. Isn’t the point of us to educate the world to understand us that we’re just normal?"

As outspoken transgender advocate Andrea James said in response to the outrage of hashtag activist (yes, there's more than one of those) Parker Marie Molloy, who is also transgender and claims to "hate" Rupaul, "If it's a choice between siding with the language police and siding with offensive artists, I'll always side with the artist willing to risk the consequences of making an offensive joke. The right to offend people is a cornerstone of the LGBT movement, and I will always defend anyone who offends our community's finger-wagging schoolmarms."

Sure, I'm a straight ally, but still -- can I get an amen up in here?

(This story has been edited slightly. The original version seemed to suggest that RuPaul is transgender, which of course he isn't. Sorry for the confusion.)