Quote of the Day: CNN President Slams Right Wing Media Benghazi Obsession

Jeff Zucker says he won't be "shamed" into covering the Benghazi clown show, proving the old adage that even a broken clock can occasionally be right.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Jeff Zucker says he won't be "shamed" into covering the Benghazi clown show, proving the old adage that even a broken clock can occasionally be right.
Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 11.30.17 AM

"We’re not going to be shamed into it by others who have political beliefs that want to try to have temper tantrums to shame other news organizations into covering something. If it’s of real news value, we’ll cover it."

-- CNN President Jeff Zucker to Bill Carter of The New York Times

Man, everything's upside down today. First we have to give Glenn Greenwald credit for showing some discretion in his reporting -- and facing an onslaught of criticism from the likes of Julian Assange -- and now I have to actually stand up and applaud Jeff Zucker.

Last night at the Deadline Club's annual awards dinner, Zucker told Bill Carter that his network has no firm plans to extensively cover any potential new hearings into the Obama administration's handling of Benghazi. The hearings would be, as every step of this ridiculous clown show has been so far, entirely the work of angry Republicans desperate to find something to hang around Obama's neck. Zucker seems to realize that, which is good.

But before we let him completely off the hook, keep in mind that if a small plane carrying the housekeeper of one of the lawmakers involved in the hearings went down in the ocean off DC, Zucker would make sure CNN beat it to death for months. Also, he says he's still not sure how to make climate change coverage "engaging." If you can't figure out how to tell people their world is ending and make them care, please get out of the business.