Note to Tucker Carlson on Poor People and Obesity: You’re An Idiot

Remember when Pat Buchanan wrote that African-Americans should be grateful to white America, you know, because of food stamps, Section-8 housing and Christian salvation? Whenever someone like Buchanan begins a sentence with the premise that Underprivileged Group-X should be thankful to the power elite, they need to be thwacked in the face with a very large fish.

This time it was Tucker Carlson who said that poor people should be grateful for the abundance of food they can eat because poor people used to be malnourished and starving.

On Fox News Channel yesterday, Tucker Carlson was chatting with host Harris Faulkner about the high rate of obesity among the jobless. The rest of us know exactly why this is so, but Tucker flailed and parsed and flailed some more in an attempt to find an upside to being poor or out-of-work or both. After all, America is awesome for the poors.

Too bad nobody at FNC had a very large fish handy.

Tucker began by blaming this on the Obamas: the president’s economic policies colliding with the First Lady’s efforts on health and fitness. Regarding the economy, it’s always difficult to pinpoint one person who gets the credit or the blame for the economy, depending on where it is, but since Tucker is ostensibly blaming the president for unemployment, then logically the president should also get credit for reducing unemployment from 10 percent in 2009 to 6.3 percent as of last month. The president should also get credit for adding 2,500,000 jobs; he should get credit for ending the recession and creating 10 consecutive quarters of economic growth; and credit for shepherding the Dow from around 6,000 to a record high of roughly 16,000.

“All of us should be happy about one thing, and it’s that for the first time in human history you have a country whose poor people are fat. So this does show this sort of amazing abundance,” Tucker said.

Faulkner was noticeably alarmed by Tucker’s analysis, exclaiming, “What?”

Tucker continued:

“For the last however many millennia, poor people starved to death. And this is a country that’s so rich, whose agriculture sector is so vibrant and at the cutting edge technologically, that our food is so cheap, poor people are fat! I mean, I don’t know. We shouldn’t take that for granted.”

Faulkner was right. What?! Yes, we should absolutely be thrilled that poor people, while they’re not starving to death like they did in the past, are struggling with heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, infertility and Type II diabetes instead. This is an excellent turn of events in American history, isn’t it. Poor people are almost as malnourished today as they were years ago, just in a different way.

The reason why poor people are overweight isn’t because an abundance of food necessarily, it’s that the cheapest food is the most fattening, the most calorie-packed and the least healthy food available. See, Tucker, poor people don’t have a lot of money, so it’s easier to afford a two-cheeseburgers meal from McDonald’s for $4.69 than it is to stop by the co-op for locally-grown organic meats and veggies. What’s so difficult to understand here?

Seriously, if you’re flat broke and you’ve wrangled $5 in change from under your couch cushions, are you going to buy a head of organic kale or a two-cheeseburger meal, complete with fries and a drink? I’m sure Tucker would say something like, “Well, at least you have a couch! That’s the American dream! Poors in the olden times didn’t have couches or even cars to drive to McDonald’s.”

Thwack!

An obesity researcher at the University of Washington, Dr. Adam Drewnowski, discovered the obvious reality that a dollar can buy significantly more calories of junk food than of healthy food:

To do this, he took a hypothetical dollar to the grocery store. His goal was to purchase as many calories as possible per dollar. What he found is that he could buy well over 1,000 calories of cookies or potato chips. But his dollar would only buy 250 calories of carrots. He could buy almost 900 calories of soda… but only 170 calories of orange juice.

And there it is: the root cause of obesity among low-income or unemployed Americans.

The sad thing is, there’s not a lot that can be done about it. First of all, anytime a Democrat tries to legislate junk food, they’re mocked relentlessly by Tucker’s colleagues on the right. But if they do nothing, they’re also responsible for an obesity epidemic. There’s really no way to legislate against the affordability of junk food. However, steps can be taken to reduce the price of healthy foods so that the playing field is a little more level. Congress could start by reducing subsidies to Big Ag and especially the major corn growers (easier said than done, given the Iowa Caucuses), while diverting those subsidies to small, local, independent farmers while augmenting the visibility and availability of those foods.

Oh, and how about this solution: fewer poor people through better, higher paying jobs, raising the minimum wage and re-establishing a robust path to the middle class.

In the meantime, let’s not be stupid and make it seem as if poor people, on top of being poor, should be glad that America’s food system is giving the gift of a slow death.

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

  • Erik

    Also, too, if you’re poor, you’re less able to afford a gym membership.

    • Howienica

      I think you should check your privilege

  • 1933john

    99 Comments, whew!
    It’s time for a Big-Mac,
    Super Size Fries, and
    Half Gallon Main-Line
    Coke, after all that reading.

  • Kiku Botura

    Wish we could tax the junk to lower the cost of the fresh food.

  • Tom J. Nelson

    Where is the troll who claims that baking bread is cheaper than buying a loaf who appears in every conversation about poor people and nutrition?

  • D. Alexander

    Conservatives total and complete disdain for the poor is well known.

    • Howienica

      On this thread it looks like the leftys are the nasty ones.

      • D. Alexander

        Oh we are just speaking the truth. Conservatives do hate the poor and the ordinary working people.

        • Howienica

          And that’s “settled science”, right, Alexander?

          What a fool you are.

          • D. Alexander

            i know the truth hurts you. Sorrrrry.

  • http://www.osborneink.com/ OsborneInk

    I’d like to see Tucker Carlson live in an urban food desert on minimum wage for a month and see whether he gains any weight.

    • D_C_Wilson

      He could l

  • Jeff Cramer

    Doesn’t Tucker look like Jonah from the show Veep?

  • Auld_mac

    The Pot Pie Prince – nutrition ex-spurt and apologist wanker drones everywhere.

  • muselet

    A couple of months ago, Tucker Swanson McNear Carlson presumed to give the nation a very bad history lesson about race relations.

    Now he’s back, presuming to give the nation a lesson in nutrition and—what a surprise!—it’s a very bad lesson.

    I’d call Carlson a knucklehead, but that would be an insult to knuckleheads.

    –alopecia

  • Hemisemidemiquaver

    “What’s so difficult to understand here?”

    Well, considering that Carlson is paid to not understand the difference, I’d say it was pretty easy.

  • Christopher Foxx

    What he found is that he could buy well over 1,000 calories of cookies or potato chips. But his dollar would only buy 250 calories of carrots. He could buy almost 900 calories of soda… but only 170 calories of orange juice.

    1000 calories of cookies = 20 cookies, 250 calories of carrots = 10 carrots
    900 calories of soda = 80 oz (7 cans), 170 calories orange juice = 18 oz (1.5 “cans”)

    To be fair, I doubt shoppers are taking Drewnowski’s approach and shopping for calories. They’re shopping for food. And a choice is being made to buy cookies instead of carrots. To drink 7 cans of soda instead of a glass and a half of OJ.

    Yes, absolutely, the calories come cheaper with the junk food. But the shopper does have choices and is not choosing as well as they could.

    • aceshigh

      Your post is going to be used as a, “See, even a LIBERAL thinks the poor are lazy and make poor choices!” example.

      Just watch.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Yeah, I know it runs that possibility. But the wingnuts who will spin it that way have no credibility here anyway.

        Fact is, few things are black/white and if we’re going to correctly declare ourselves the “rational, reality-based” folks we need to acknowledge that, while decks are definitely stacked very much against them, the poor do play some role in their situations.

        That others will make of that “Ah HA! They’re 1% responsible, so it’s really all their own fault.” is unavoidable and just another example of them spouting total bullshit.

        • aceshigh

          Oh, of course. I was just teasing.

          This highlights the way in which right-wingers’ snotty, condescending, arrogant attitude towards liberals makes us LESS likely to want to meet them halfway in terms of finding areas of common agreement.

      • Howienica

        It does sound that way, doesn’t it?

        I guess that’s why Michele took away the schools ability to make choices.

        Of course, the kids often chose to throw away Micheles food choices.

        Sometimes people just won’t do what is good for them.

        Which is why they need government to show them.

    • http://vermillionbrain.blogspot.com/ Vermillion

      I have to agree with that, with the caveat that a lot of people simply don’t have the time or knowledge to make those choices. And polishing off a sleeve of cookies is a hell of a lot easier than gorging on carrots.

      • Steven Skelton

        Time can be an issue. Heating up a Hungry man certainly is a lot easier than preparing food.

        That said, isn’t it a little insulting to the poor to say that many don’t know what foods are good for them? Of course they do. Like all humans, they are not immune to bad choices…but I think we all know that a carrot is better for you than a snickers.

        • GrafZeppelin127

          [I]sn’t it a little insulting to the poor to say that many don’t know what foods are good for them?

          Not really, no; many people, regardless of economic status, don’t know what foods are good for them.

      • JessFlagg

        The point is if you’re buying for a family that same amt of $ will give you 20 cookies to 10 carrots, 7 cans of soda to 1.5 cans. Amount has to figure into the equation also.

        We’re not ‘poor’, but we’re not well off either. We cannot afford to buy a lot of things we know are good for us, so opt for things cheaper.
        Don’t talk to me about ‘choices’ when it comes to buying food, food that is better for you is EXPENSIVE and must I state the obvious?… less quantity!

  • Steven Skelton

    I get a kick out of the people on this site. Supposedly, you are the ones that care about the poor.
    Yet you all don’t think they are incapable of feeding themselves anything other than garbage. If you ask me (and none of you did,) I think that’s a pretty shitty opinion to have of that group of people.

    • Christopher Foxx

      If you ask me (and none of you did,)

      Good, lord. Why ever would we? Your inane ridiculous postings are bad enough to have around, why would we ever seek them out?

      • aceshigh

        Bwahaha.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      Since no real person actually has that opinion, your opinion of that opinion is irrelevant.

    • stacib23

      Nobody even so much as implied that people were “incapable” of feeding themselves. Sheesh! When each person in this society is able to build their own grocery stores and/or plant their own crops, maybe. Until then, it’s all projection on your part.

    • 624LC .

      Even your projections are inane.

  • mrbrink

    Tucker’s so lucky. He can eat as many high fructose corn syrup fed peasants as he wants and never gains a pound of decency.

  • Steven Skelton

    Give me five dollars and I’ll go to the produce section of my supermarket and buy you more food than you could possibly eat.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Where do you want me to mail the check?

      • Steven Skelton

        http://www.gofundme.com/86n9d0

        Here is the link to my food ministry funding page. Give me $5 and you will feed 2 people a meal of lasagna, salad, soup and fresh baked bread at the next event on June 14th.

        • D_C_Wilson

          Since when do they sell lasagna in the produce aisle?

          • Steven Skelton

            It is unreasonable for me to go the produce aisle for you, but since you offered to send me money….

            I never miss a chance to raise funds for my ministry. We are taking the chow line to the next step by providing a family style dinner to the food needy of the area.

            You should donate. I actually just remembered that my wife and I are matching up to the first $150 dollars, so your $5 is actually $10.

            Feel free to give more though.

          • D_C_Wilson

            So, even though you said you’d go to the produce section and get more food than you could eat if someone gave you $5.00, you’re now backing off your promise.

            Sorry, I prefer to donate to charities that aren’t run by liars.

          • Steven Skelton

            That’s just stupid. Tell you what, drive up here to Lake Stevens Wa and meet me at Safeway at the corner of WA9 and WA204.

            I work from home, so I can meet you pretty much whenever.

            I’m not backing off of my promise, I’m just not going to put my home address in the comment section of a website.

          • gescove

            Lake Stevens, WA. Quick search shows the median income for a household in the city at about $65,200 with fewer than 4% of households below the poverty line. A nice place to live with civic amenities, good schools, and many nearby full-service groceries. Your analysis starts from privilege and ends with an up-turned nose at the foolish poor who can’t make good choices. Pathetic.

          • Steven Skelton

            Go look up 63116. That’s the zip code I lived in until last fall.

          • Steven Skelton

            You forgot that there is a gorgeous view of two separate mountain ranges, the Cascades and the Olympics. Located near the base of Mt. Pilchuck, Lake Stevens also boasts wonderful views of both Mt. Baker to the north and Mt. Raineer to the south.

            It is the best place I’ve ever lived and I’ve never been happier. I worked hard to be able to move here.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Lake Stevens is very nice. I’ve got cousins who have a house on the lake that I’ve been fortunate to visit with several times.

          • That River Gal

            It’s such a shame for you that WA liberals like me both live in reality and vote blue, eh?

          • Steven Skelton

            How you live your life has never bothered me one bit. I don’t even know you.

          • That River Gal

            Well done, gescove.

          • D_C_Wilson

            Sorry, you already backed away from the claim about the produce section. Fail. It’s a shame. I sincerely would have donated if you could have proven that.

          • Steven Skelton

            I’m not backing away…but…

            I’m not the loser if you choose not to donate to my ministry. I don’t do the gofundme because I need the money to make these meals work. I do it because I want others to know the joy that comes from involving yourself in the lives of people who aren’t doing as well. My hope is that donating a few bucks will get the ball rollin in people’s lives and lead them toward a life of involvement.

            Do this instead. Take your $5 to subway and buy a foot long sandwich. Head down to area of town where the downtrodden hang out. Give half of the sandwich to someone you meet. Then sit down next to them, eat the other half of the sandwich, and ask them about their life.

            It’ll be the best $5 you ever spent.

          • D_C_Wilson

            I’m giving the money to my local food bank. That way I’ll know it’ll go to feed hungry people instead of frauds.

          • Steven Skelton

            Giving money to your local food bank is an excellent idea. I would encourage you then to stick around and volunteer your time. Food banks need that as much (if not more) than they need money.

            You will meet all kinds of people that you can teach about healthy food choices, meal planning/menu preparation, nutrition and excersize.

            You can do a hell of a lot more good than $5!

            Best wishes.

            p.s. you just might find it’s the best thing you do in life!

          • aceshigh

            Gotta love the passive-aggressive tone in these posts. Steve just oozes hatred for everyone on this site. I love it.

          • Howienica

            The hatred seems to be coming from your post.

          • nathkatun7

            To be perfectly frank, Steven Skelton’s stories, which are supposedly presented and promoted as his first hand knowledge and experience, don’t seem that credible to me!

          • D_C_Wilson

            The condescending attitude is what kills it for me. Notice how he constantly assumes that none of us have ever given to a charity before.

          • Howienica

            He has a much better attitude than any of you prunes that are trying to bring him down.

          • D_C_Wilson

            What are you, his mother?

        • mrbrink

          Where’s the link that recommends you eat only one meal a day that takes hours of preparation?

          You’re not from Workingpoorsylvania, are you? No worries. You get used to treating the open wounds that the bloodsucking wealth vampires leave behind. They wear bow ties here, and pay sadism less than $5 a year to follow you around beating a metal trash can day and night.

          • gescove

            Yeah, I’ve had that meal too at the church bazaar or the high school class fundraiser after the game. If I had to eat like that every day, I’d just shoot myself.

          • Steven Skelton

            I fucking agree there Gescove.

            I started feeding people very recently at a chow line over in Everett. It was great that we were feeding people, but I felt bad for the folks coming through with their mishmash of whatever piled on their plate.

            The Arrows Out Community Meal is designed to be completely different. We’re cooking meals like you would cook if grandma is coming over for dinner. Quality ingredients and everything home made from scratch.

            Then, instead of getting a paper plate and spork, we are serving it family style off of real dinnerware. And there will be no “us” and “them,” instead we will all sit together and eat.

        • gescove

          You pretend that people have real choices or aren’t constrained by their poverty. Poor neighborhoods lack full service groceries, farmers’ markets, or community gardens. They are literal food deserts. The nearby convenience stores sell only a very few, very high priced perishables like eggs, milk, cheese, and bad produce. The rest is shelf-stabilized, corn syrup laced, hydrogenated oil filled, sodium and preservative loaded crap. In these neighborhoods, many people don’t own a car, and the nearest full service grocery or warehouse food store like Costco might be a two hour bus ride away. That could mean a half day or more set aside just to shop at a real grocery which may not be feasible if you are working two or three jobs just to pay the bills. Fast food restaurants are everywhere in the neighborhood serving calorie-dense, nutrient-poor at relatively low prices. People make the best choices they can given the constraints they face. Your blaming of victims trapped in the economic ghettoes created by skewed agricultural subsidies and policies is stupid and cruel.

          • Steven Skelton

            I lived three blocks south of Dutchtown on the south side of St. Louis. It doesn’t get much more impoverished than that.

            There were grocery stores. There were farmers markets.

            Your story is bullshit.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Yours is subjective and anecdotal.

          • Steven Skelton

            But at least it’s true!

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Says you. And in no way relevant.

          • stacib23

            True to your particular living arrangements doesn’t make it true for the world.

          • That River Gal

            ^^And it ONLY applies to YOUR experience. Are you saying that your experience speaks for 313.9 million humans?!?!

          • nathkatun7

            How do we know it’s true? Is it because you said it?

          • gescove

            There is plenty of research and documentation of the very real problems of urban food deserts and obesity among the poor for anyone who cares to look. Here’s a link to just a few articles in The Oregonian looking at the problem and some local policy prescriptions to address it from an excruciatingly long two-second Google search.
            http://topics.oregonlive.com/tag/food%20desert/index.html
            But of course it is total bullshit because it conflicts with your viewpoint.

          • Christopher Foxx

            But of course it is total bullshit because it conflicts with your viewpoint

            Wingnut thinking fully described in 13 words.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            But of course it is total bullshit because it conflicts with your viewpoint discrete, subjective, anecdotal experience.

            FIFY. :)

          • JozefAL

            Keywords here, I believe, are LIVED and WERE.

            Your comment below indicates you no longer live there so where’s the proof that those stores and farmers markets are STILL there?

          • Steven Skelton

            I moved away only last fall. If you would like, you can look up Schnuck’s Market at 55 and Loughborough or at Gravois and Grand. I’m sure they are both there.

            Soulard Farmer’s market has been in operation since the 18th century, I’m pretty sure I would have heard about it if it had closed.

            Tower Grove Farmer’s Market still sends me Facebook updates, so I’m pretty sure they are still there.

            There is also an Aldi on Gravois where I used to purchase a lot of my fresh food.

          • stacib23

            And you’re going to base every single neighborhood on the fact that you have a grocer within walking distances? That’s beyond asinine! I live in one of those neighborhoods that is a food desert. Fortunately, I have a car and can get to a chain grocery store. I have friends who, without a ride, only have the option of the “corner” store. You, sir, are full of shit.

          • Steven Skelton

            What neighborhood? Give me a zip code and we will see what is there.

          • stacib23

            Let’s begin with the area around 67th and Dorchester in Chicago. The zip is 60637.

          • Steven Skelton

            There is a Freshway Foods 1 mile from there. A bus lines every ten minutes directly between those locations.

          • stacib23

            That’s a flippin’ corner store. FAIL

          • stacib23

            88th and Houston, zip is 60617, 71st and Yates, 79th and Ingleside, 82nd and Blackstone, 93rd and Woodlawn. Do you need more?

          • Steven Skelton

            There is an Aldi on 95th. One bus transfer away from 88th and Houston.

            That is all the homework I’m going to do for you.

          • stacib23

            Your search was a bust and proved you’re full of shit, so this is your saving face comment. I’m laughing my ass off at you. You track down one Aldi, on 95th no less which runs from 4000 east to 4800 west within city limits. 95th where??? BTW, we were talking about walking distances – in order for a neighborhood to qualify as not being a food desert, there has to actually be a grocery store that’s accessible, preferably by walking. Also, considering 88th is closest to the 87th street bus, one would need at least two busses – an east-west bus and a north-south bus, and bus fare in Chicago is $2.25 FOR EACH TRIP – we don’t have transfers anymore. You got caught in your own bullshit, Steve. Why don’t you just own that and admit you were wrong?

          • Steven Skelton

            There aren’t many ghettos worse than those in St. Louis. I don’t think it’s asinine to say that if it can be done in the St. Louis ghetto, it can be done in any ghetto.

          • stacib23

            Sheesh, you’re a master at deflecting. Who in all hell is talking about ghettos?

    • GrafZeppelin127

      $5 worth of raw fruits and vegetables isn’t more than I could eat. But, so what?

      • Steven Skelton

        The point is that McDonald’s is not the only to feed oneself on a small budget.

        I serve my family of four a healthy and nutritious dinner every night for under $10 and we usually have leftovers for lunch the next day.

        To argue that the poor aren’t responsible for their obesity because they can’t afford quality food is absurd. Fat and poor people are fat for exactly the same reason fat and middle class people are fat…poor choices.

        btw: I’m a guy who is struggling with weight. I know about these things. I also know my food budget has little to do with it. In actuality, I spend less when I eat healthy foods than I do when make poor choices.

        • GrafZeppelin127

          I’d congratulate you, but you seem to have that covered.

          Self-congratulation and resentment are so unattractive. They’re certainly not a good starting point for public policy.

          • aceshigh

            And that’s the whole point…self-aggrandizement and ego glorification. His bogus “ministry” is all about making himself feel better about his hateful ideology.

            He feeds a couple of needy people once a month (so he says), so he shouldn’t have to pay any taxes or follow any regulation.

          • Steven Skelton

            In what universe does it make sense to accuse someone of faking a ministry so he can be pompous in the comments section of a news site read by fewer than a 1k people?

            Isn’t it more likely that I’m just a decent fellow trying to do my best for my best for the people around me? What sort of ego boost could possibly come from arguing with you people? Nobody I know personally is ever on this site, and it should be pretty obvious that I am unstirred by the opinions of me held by people who don’t even sign in with their own names.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Steven –

            Note sent to you via the site you linked to above. Looking forward to your reply. This could prove interesting.

            – Christopher.

          • Steven Skelton

            I’m sure your a decent guy, but I just don’t give out my address because the world is full of whack jobs.

            You can help straight through the website, and it will go to good use….but I would encourage you instead to find need close to you and then set out to help however you can.

            Money is easy. And really, finding people to donate food is easy. The hard part is finding people that care beyond filling an empty stomach.

            Best wishes Christopher.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Understandable. It’s why I’ve made a very conscious effort to reveal as little personal info about myself (where I live, age, sex, orientation, etc.) as possible. I’d assumed there was an address for your organization that could be used, that your personal address wouldn’t be needed.

          • Lindstr7

            Oh please, as if we can’t see through your agenda here. Your judgement of others (i.e. poor/urban people[i.e. black people]) is so transparent you really expect us to believe you have their best interest at heart and “golly, if they could only make better choices at the grocery store” pontificating is nothing more than a jab at those less you wish to judge as “less than” you.

    • JozefAL

      What about my protein requirements?

      Hon, I visit my produce section on a weekly basis. And there is NO fucking way you’re going to do what you claim UNLESS you’re buying tax-exempt. (And you do NOT know how much I “could possibly eat.”)

      A SINGLE apple costs around $1. A SINGLE orange costs about 75 cents. I can buy a pound of bananas for about 60 cents (which means either two fairly large bananas or 3 medium-to-small ones). I can buy a SMALL bunch of kale for about $1. A single average sized onion is going to run me about 75 cents (that’s for a plain yellow onion; a red onion or a nice sweet Vidalia-type is going to push up towards $1).

      Now, I will grant you if I buy a packaged salad mix, that’ll run me about $3 (some salad varieties are a bit less, some a bit more). Add some salad dressing and toss on a can of 75 cent tuna fish, and I can make a decent meal. The problem is I’m going to be a bit peckish within an hour.

      And there’s the problem that I AM a single person. It’s next to impossible for me to buy “in bulk” (especially with produce) and store it so it WON’T spoil. Potatoes, onions–out of the question. I HAVE to buy these on an individual basis because I simply cannot eat a 5 pound (or even 3 pound) bag of either of these before they start to go bad and attract bugs.

      And, given your comment below (about your “food ministry”), I’m positive you’re buying tax-exempt, or even at wholesale costs. Or maybe you live in one of those states which doesn’t tax groceries. Not all of us, however, are “blessed” with those abilities. I don’t have the luxury of being tax-exempt (unlike our local restauranteurs and hospitals and food banks; as long as the groceries–or even paper products–are being bought for NON-resale purposes, a restaurant can send employees to a grocery store to pick up items the restaurant may have run out of) and I have to pay RETAIL for all my groceries. I do NOT spend hours ahead of time trying to find “bargains” and then haggle at the checkout that “Store X is selling this for 2 cents a pound cheaper.” I’ve got a very limited amount of time to do my grocery shopping for the week and if I’m in the mood for something and the store doesn’t have it–well, I’m just out of luck because I’m NOT going to waste time checking another store. I also have to pay tax on my groceries (Alabama’s right-wing legislature has simply ignored any pleas to make general food tax-exempt–ironically, because they don’t want to raise taxes elsewhere to “make up” the loss from the grocery tax; of course, if I were a baby chicken or a baby rabbit, my food would be tax-exempt–but a baby human isn’t quite so lucky).

      • Steven Skelton

        I am fortunate to live in a state that doesn’t tax food, and it is a little tougher when your cooking for one.

        Protein is a little harder to come by, but I can purchase chicken thighs for $1.25/lb and beans are high in protein and very cheap.

        Potatoes and onions keep in my garage for 4-6 weeks. Keep them cool and covered and you should have similar success. Carrots also last for many weeks. All root vegetables will keep for quite sometime.

        When I was single and poor, I would make a big pot of chicken and dumplings with vegetables for well under $10 and I would eat it for lunch and dinner for nearly a week. It had me covered on everything except for dairy…and it was freakin’ delicious. Beef and barley stew works well to. Ham and pototo(e). All of those can be made super cheap and are very nutritious.

        Don’t give up! It can be done and it is easier than you think.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    When was the last time we had so many high-profile public figures and an entire political party constantly fellating the rich and telling us how great the poor have it?

    • D_C_Wilson

      Every day, I become more and more convinced that our wingnuts are visitors from the Bizarro World where everything is backwards. What else could explain their belief that the wealthy are the real victims while the poor aren’t suffering enough?

      • GrafZeppelin127

        They have to reverse-engineer their counterintuitive policy preferences tin order to justify them. Meaning, they have to figure out a way to make it OK, or make it seem OK, to direct law and public policy toward comforting the comfortable and afflicting the afflicted.

      • trgahan

        My though would be the need to cover for the utter failure of 30+ years of deregulating, free market, supply side economics.

        So these paid apologists have to go on air to keep pretending that all economic problems are because the markets haven’t been free enough yet and/or anyone with a net worth under $10 million has failed an otherwise perfect system.

        • GrafZeppelin127

          …the need to cover for the utter failure of 30+ years of deregulating, free market, supply side economics.

          I think that’s part of it. After all, Republicans haven’t gotten an important policy-related prediction right since January 17, 1961. But most people aren’t conscious enough of policy and its effects on society and the economy to design their behavior around “cover[ing] for” its failures.

          I think what they’re “cover[ing] for,” more likely, is their own support for George W. Bush in the wake of the complete, utter, disastrous and undeniable failure of practically every aspect of his presidency. And by “support” I don’t mean just casual, passive support. I’m talking about devoted, unequivocal, uncritical, fawning, obsequious, lionizing, ostentatious worship of the man and everything [they imagined] he “stood for” — the kind of worship they now project onto “liberals” vis-à-vis the current president but that was not only real but very much on public display from 2001-2006. This is a man they were describing then as a brilliant, strong, resolute, heroic, masterful, courageous, divinely-inspired and historically-great leader [yet who at the same time was somehow entirely powerless and unable to prevent any of the disasters that occurred during his presidency], who by the time he left office had very nearly, quite literally, destroyed the country.

          I guess what I mean is, it’s their own failure that they’ve been “cover[ing] for.” They cannot own what they enabled in the Bush presidency. And what they enabled, the sheer quantity and magnitude of death, destruction, pain, anguish, misery and suffering, here and abroad, that were and directly attributable to the men and the policies they cheered — and vilified others for opposing — is too much for anyone to take responsibility for.

          • trgahan

            Yeah, to me there was no better moment of that “devoted, unequivocal, uncritical, fawning, obsequious, ostentatious lionization of the man and everything [they imagined] he “stood for”” you speak of than in 2007 when Bush stood before congress and declared, for the good of our nation, he would veto expanding health care coverage to kids….and got a standing ovation!

  • Jason E

    Fat and malnourished, the American dream? What a dick!

  • aceshigh

    Don’t forget that the increasingly-bloated Fucker Carlson is heir to the Swanson frozen food fortune.

    How appropriate that he would talk up America’s unparalleled ability to peddle low-quality food with no nutritional value to America’s poor. His family has literally profited off their misery.

  • Rockin69

    I thought we all agreed by now that the GOP and Fox News will pretty much say anything to (try to) make Obama look bad.

    If Obama came out and said that we should drink more water to stay hydrated and healthy, Fox will probably come out saying we shouldn’t be drinking much water in the first place because too much water can kill you and shame on Obama.

  • Draxiar

    “Poor people are almost as malnourished today as they were years ago, just in a different way.”
    Perfectly stated. I would also add that the affordable low income foods have more additives and preservatives in them that the human body doesn’t know how to process and contribute to the aforementioned ailments including being overweight.

  • dbtheonly

    But at the same time the REMO are mocking Michelle Obama for encouraging healthy life styles.

    Go figure.

  • GOVCHRIS1988

    WHY do you do this to me Bob! Why do you put this overgrown thirteen year old adolescent who only stopped wearing his Oshkosh bowties because John Stewart proverbially bitchslapped him in the mouth? I thought you were AGAINST TORTURE!!!!

    In all seriousness though, are we sure this man has been laid. I know he has kids, but who the hell would sleep with that!

  • Barbara Striden

    Very good article. I imagine that another reason for obesity in poor people comes from the grinding, depressive stress of BEING poor; corporate food scientists are constantly working on combinations of flavor and texture that will give a sort of crass, immediate pleasure when tasted, and I would think that a poor person would be particularly vulnerable to such formulations. Thus the term “stress eating”; we all know the comic conceit of the person who’s just been dumped by a boyfriend/girlfriend sitting on a couch, watching TV and plowing through a quart of ice cream.

  • Grizzle

    Tucker Carlson is to journalism what Charles Ponzi was to business

    • aceshigh

      To paraphrase the great Jeff Ross:

      “Tucker Carlson is to being a stand-up guy what Larry Flynt is to standing up.”

      • Grizzle

        Jeff Ross is the king of Roasts…

  • Neddy Merrill

    TC needs to check his privilege.