Nevada Sheriff 'Currently Looking Into' Reports Of Bundy Ranch Militia Harassing Townfolk

The news media has moved on from Nevada rancher and Racist The Time Forgot Cliven Bundy, but according to Rep. Steven Horsford's (D-NV) office, residents in the Bundy Ranch's Bunkerville community still don't feel safe, as armed miltiamen continue their discomfiting presence. Rep. Horsford sent Clark County Sheriff Douglas Gillespie a letter nearly two weeks ago, sharing constituent complaints about militia activities, but Sheriff Gillespie's office told The Daily Banter, on Friday, that they're "currently looking into the situation."
The news media has moved on from Nevada rancher and Racist The Time Forgot Cliven Bundy, but according to Rep. Steven Horsford's (D-NV) office, residents in the Bundy Ranch's Bunkerville community still don't feel safe, as armed miltiamen continue their discomfiting presence. Rep. Horsford sent Clark County Sheriff Douglas Gillespie a letter nearly two weeks ago, sharing constituent complaints about militia activities, but Sheriff Gillespie's office told The Daily Banter, on Friday, that they're "currently looking into the situation."
bunkerville

The news media has moved on from Nevada rancher and Racist The Time Forgot Cliven Bundy, but according to Rep. Steven Horsford's (D-NV) office, residents in the Bundy Ranch's Bunkerville community still don't feel safe, as armed miltiamen continue their discomfiting presence. Rep. Horsford sent Clark County Sheriff Douglas Gillespie a letter nearly two weeks ago, sharing constituent complaints about militia activities, but Sheriff Gillespie's office told The Daily Banter, on Friday, that they're "currently looking into the situation."

On April 27, Rep. Horsford sent Sheriff Gillespie a letter informing him of constituent complaints about the Bundy-supporting militias, including that they:

1. Have set up checkpoints where residents are required to prove they live in the area before being allowed to pass;
2. Have established a persistent presence along federal highways and state and county roads; and
3. Have established an armed presence in or around community areas including local churches, school, and other community locations.

About a week later, on May 4, Rep. Horsford sent another letter, thanking Sheriff Gillespie for staying in touch with his office, and with other elected officials, as they try to resolve the situation. Now, almost two weeks after Horsford's first letter, not much seems to have changed. Tim Hogan, Communications director for Congressman Horsford, says his office continues to get complaints from constituents, who still don't feel safe.

"We still hear from constituents that they want the armed militia to leave their community, they want to feel safe," Hogan told me Friday. "As we get those concerns voiced from people in the community, we make sure not only that we hear their voices, but that other elected officials are aware that they have concerns about the safety in their area as well."

Hogan says they continue to hear from constituents who don't feel safe because "there is an armed militia presence in the community," adding that "it's a small community of 1200-1300 people, it's a small area, and so when kids are going to school, families are heading to church, it's a very tight-knit area."

"We've heard concerns from people asking if it's safe to drive on I-15, so there are still a lot of questions from people in the area about what is safe for them, what isn't," Hogan said.

He says that his office is in almost daily contact with the Clark County Sheriff's Office at the staff level, and that Rep. Horsford and Sheriff Gillespie communicate regularly.

However, the Clark County Sheriff's Department has been rather tight-lipped. Department spokesman Jose Hernandez would only say that they are "currently looking into" the complaints, and said he was unaware of any response to Rep. Horsford's office, nor was he aware of any complaints from residents beyond those expressed by the Congressman. Armed men are setting up checkpoints, and two weeks later, they're "looking into it."

Asked if Rep. Horsford is satisfied with the response so far, Hogan would only say that "The Congressman's heading back to the district, looking to engage all public officials, and having continued conversations with the Sheriff about the situation out in Bunkerville. He is looking to make sure that everyone who is evaluating the situation has their eye on the situation is involved in the situation. We care about the situation in that community because it's in his district. In the next week or so, I may have an update for you."

"The Fox News cameras have left, Sean Hannity has left, but it's still an issue of concern for everyone in that community," he added.

Here's Rep. Horsford's May 2 appearance on The Rachel Maddow Show, explaining what his constituents have been telling him: