Glenn Greenwald: Asshole

If you’re at all familiar with Glenn Greenwald, you’ll likely look at the above headline and think one of two things. Critics of Greenwald will say to themselves, “Absolutely,” while his legion of devotees and champions will counter with, “Yeah, so?” But the fact is that there are few people who can seriously and honestly consider Greenwald’s public persona, his various proclamations and interactions with the general public which often come via his overworked Twitter feed, and not conclude that he’s an asshole. It’s simply a question of whether you think this fact matters, whether it’s an insurmountable impediment to taking what he says seriously or something that can and should be set aside because the message is more important than the messenger.

Yesterday, in response to news that the U.S. is sending military, intelligence, and law enforcement assistance to Nigeria to aid in the search for 276 schoolgirls kidnapped by Islamic extremists, Greenwald tweeted out the following:

Note that Greenwald’s first concern wasn’t the well-being of those kidnapped. There was no couching of his brash condemnation of the response to this atrocity with the admission that he cares about the girls now in the clutches of people who intend to sell them into slavery. There was no concession that maybe, just this once, the vast resources and technological prowess at the disposal of a superpower could be used for good. There was just what there always is, an opportunity to go directly to trashing his favorite boogeyman, the singular subject that matters to him and the ultimate evil that he’s made an entire career out of bashing: the big, bad West. Maybe you can make the excuse that his reaction is simply no-nonsense. Maybe you can say that the limits of Twitter’s format make it difficult to add context and nuance to a statement. The facts remains, though, that if you say something like this as a stand-alone comment, you are an asshole. And that’s what Glenn Greenwald is: an asshole. An insufferable, pompous asshole.

The question then becomes whether it matters that Greenwald is an asshole. Charlie Pierce at Esquire famously said that it shouldn’t concern anyone that he or she might not want to “invite Glenn Greenwald to dinner”; all that should be taken into account is the information he’s providing. But I just don’t think that’s the case. I’d argue that his personality is so pronounced — he’s such an asshole — that it informs and impacts his journalism. His pettiness, his arrogance, and his agenda-driven single-mindedness — all characteristics of being an asshole — is what has tainted his reporting from the very beginning, specifically when it comes to the NSA/Snowden story. He regularly buries contrary evidence, disregards inconvenient facts, aligns himself with horrible people simply because they happen to support his one pet issue, and shouts down anyone who dares to criticize his work, even if that criticism is intended to be constructive and comes from a place of good faith. He does this because, quite simply, he can never be wrong. And what kind of person can never be wrong? Yes, an asshole.

A good journalist is open to getting as good as he or she gives. A good journalist is willing to admit when he or she is wrong. A good journalist isn’t an ideologue. A good journalist is a bit of an asshole but one also imbued with empathy and humanity, with a belief that the world can be a better place (otherwise why would that person bother seeking the truth?). Glenn Greenwald has proven over and over again that he has no humanity. He’s all asshole. Most people, when having their intentions and motivations misconstrued because of something they’ve said, would work to make it clear what those intentions and motivations were. They’d do something as simple as saying, “Look, this is what I meant.” But not Greenwald. Of course not Greenwald. As usual, his response to criticism is to prove even further that he’s an asshole by doubling-down and blaming his adversaries for having the gall to call him out.

Case in point:

Jesus, what a fucking asshole.

  • Chuck Davis

    I started to think that I was the only one that thought this way about Glenn Greenwald. He can’t for the life of him consider the possibility of being wrong. He has no respect for his adversaries and even if they’re right, in his eyes they’re wrong because of the simple fact that they are adversaries…no matter the argument. I truly hate him. I put him on the same level as Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity.

  • Alvin Miller

    Glenn Greenwald is an asshole. For anyone that used to comment on his posts at Salon, while he worked there. if you dared disagreed with him, you better look out. He would come after you hard. He has incredibly thin skin.

  • D. Alexander

    Greenwald is absolutely and asshole. He can’t even support helping to find those girls without condemning the US. He is just as anti American as the right wingers.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Reading the comments here, I can’t help but picture Greenwald fondling his Twitter App while cackling, “Fly! Fly, my pretties!”

    At least none of his flying monkeys are bothering to dispute the fact that his indead, an asshole.

  • ruth crocker

    My theory is that he’s an alcoholic. That would explain his puffy face, bellacose attitude and the angry “bon mots” which could only seem witty if you were blotto.

  • Lancelot Link

    Of course GG doesn’t care about those kidnapped teenagers. They’re black.

  • Tort Master

    One quarter of a billion dollars for a media upstart that “discovered” a “secret” Government NSA program that is so heinous the courts that have already heard the issue have rushed to not shut it down. The program is such an abuse of power and executive authority that Republican Congressman Darrell Issa has immediately called to order no House investigations of it.
    Greenwald is an asshole, yes; but he’s not a journalist. A journalist would let the facts decide the story.

  • HayesOose

    Let’s see, an inference made from Greenwald’s tweet of indifference toward the kidnapped girls made by the guy who has openly joked about child civilian drone-strike victims.

    Forget Sam Doloncot: Pazienza’s best parody work is self-reflexive and unintentional, if no funnier.

  • mwells219

    Seeing as how he has yet to present any factual evidence of NSA doing anything illegal, Glenn has to use these theatrics to keep his 15 minutes of fame going for as long as possible.

    • Olga Grobut

      Somehow, this overwhelmingly important point keeps getting lost in the shouting. The fact that I don’t like something, or can imagine some way in which it might turn out poorly, does not automatically translate into its being illegal or unconstitutional.

      But in a larger sense it may not matter: the purity trolls don’t appear to be interested in laws or reforms, or restraining the powers of the government. They just want to bellow their wounded outrage until they feel better and…

      Well, it’s not quite clear just what they want – so it’s not clear just how they can ever be satisfied.

  • Seedee Vee

    Chez Pazienza — asshole with a small penis.

    What else could explain the ever-present Greenwald envy?

    • Barbara Striden

      “What else could explain the ever-present Greenwald envy?”

      How about thinking that someone who makes almost no effort to do his work with a degree of objectivity, while claiming that he is a “journalist”, is a stain on the profession?

      • Seedee Vee

        Barbara, take your objectivity, go play with Bill Keller, see what kind of journalism stains you can make.

      • Olga Grobut

        Greenwald never was any journalist, although he had a desk at the Guardian for a few months.

        Which is one of the core parts of this tragedy. Had Snowden dumped his document trove on a reputable, competent journalist – one who understood the issues and knew how to build a story – something good might possibly have come out of this whole ordeal.

        Instead, Ed turned it all over to an ignorant blowhard with a short fuze and a penchant for bullying – a man so ignorant and irresponsible that he had to be bludgeoned into adopting the most basic information security technologies. What a disaster for the world: fundamental reform of the national security state has been set back a full generation. All the hard work we have done for the past twenty five years has gone blooey, all because Ed trusted the wrong guy.

    • 624LC .

      Seriously how big would greenwald have to be for penis envy? Do we have microscopes at the ready?

      • Seedee Vee

        It’s not a matter of how big Greenwald is.

        • D_C_Wilson

          That’s good, because there is no bigger dick than Greenwald.

          • Seedee Vee

            Finally, a compliment for Greenwald.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Seedee Vee — a Greenwald groupie desperate to toss its hero’s salad.

      • Seedee Vee

        Victor the sad sad sad Crab.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          Oooo, I is so hurt by your insult, trollface. It’s like getting attacked by a flying throw pillow.

          • Seedee Vee

            Soooooo sad.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            You’re a boring troll. The most pathetic type.

          • Seedee Vee

            Soooooo saaad and bored.

            That explains the Greenwald envy . . . . .

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Suuuuure I’m am, child. You better go to bed right away before your mommy discovers you up at her computer.

          • Badgerite

            I think he should be renamed, Comment Deleted.

  • aynwrong

    Least original response:
    SHUT UP GLEN!!!

    • Badgerite

      How about FU Glen.

      • aynwrong

        That works too.

  • Jane

    Greenwald’s ability to try and shift perceptions is sociopathic in nature. He’d make a great criminal. Maybe, that’s not far off the mark?

  • ChrisAndersen

    I absolute agree that Glenn Greenwald shouldn’t matter in this debate.

    But there is no one more devoted to making Glenn Greenwald an issue in this debate then Glenn Greenwald. And those who argue that he shouldn’t matter in the debate while refusing to acknowledge this point (because doing so would mean he matters) are themselves just contributing to his narcissism.

    • Jeff Cramer

      The closest political figure Greenwald reminds me of is Sarah Palin. Very thin skinned, has to respond no matter how mild or minor the criticism is. Like Palin, he complains about the media bothering him, but yet does everything one would do to keep themselves in the spotlight.

      • Bubble Genius

        How soon before Glenn puts on some glasses to make himself look smarter?

        • D_C_Wilson

          Rick Perry already beat him to it.

        • mwells219

          Well it worked for S.E. Cupp.

      • Badgerite

        He has better command of the English language.

  • chris ellis

    All you need to ask of him is : What would you do? Hell, all you need to ask any libertarian is that very question. You’ll very quickly learn the answer is not a whole hell of a lot.

    • D_C_Wilson

      They would mumble something about letting the free market solve things. You know, because the people who buy these girls as slaves will probably treat them well since they’re valuable or something.

      • Razor

        The market will solve this problem itself, just like segregation. People knew segregation was wrong and it was pretty much ending itself anyway, we didn’t need the government!

        Same logic here, people know raping little girls is wrong, why do we need laws?! Big government overreach… ignore thousands of years of human history… people will just stop if we let the market sort it out!

    • Seedee Vee

      It’s called Not Making Things Worse.

      You should try it, dumb Americans.

    • beulahmo

      I’ve decided it’s nothing but impotent rage and passive aggression, and Glenn Greenwald beautifully portrays what’s so maddening about them. Think about it — they’re like those passive aggressive co-workers most people hate: they’re hell-bent on perfection and they have endless criticism for everyone else’s ideas for solving problems. But they themselves never propose an actionable solution that completely addresses a real problem that must be solved without undermining everything else in the business or organization. And that’s because they can’t propose any actionable solution, because they’ve established impossible standards. Well, guess what? The standards aren’t there to serve a higher, nobler cause; they’re there to give them reason to resent others and sabotage their efforts. That makes them feel superior to everyone else who, you know, is trying to actually solve problems. They are miserable, useless people to have around.

      • Scopedog

        Yep. It’s the badge of purity–they don’t have to do the heavy lifting, and they do not have to come up with actual, practical solutions. They canjust sit on the sidelines and toss verbal grenades.

    • Scopedog

      “You’ll very quickly learn the answer is not a whole hell of a lot.”

      You’ll also need a shovel, since what they do say is a load of bulls**t.

  • chris ellis

    prick

  • OC_DC

    I’ve noted that Charles Pierce, Digby, Salon, and the rest of the true liberal crowd haven’t touched this. This proves that both sides are truly full of hypocritical assholes and cannot be trusted at all. They both suck and both are far too crooked.

    The lefts embrace blind embrace of Greenwald is going to hurt them down the line. When electoral losses roll in we can all look at Pierce, Digby, Salon, Cenk, and the rest of them and say “you got what you want, now let’s see how much it hurts”.

    I’ll laugh my ass off.

    • http://cendax.wordpress.com/ Norbrook

      Digby has been on a “me too!” kick with Glenn for several years. Whatever he says, she’ll post something a while later which is a sycophantic agreement with whatever he said, no matter how asinine.

      I was never a big fan of Greenwald to begin with, but the realization of just what an asshole he is came when he decided, out of the blue, to smear a little-known blogger whose main “sin” (in his eyes) was to post rather nice stories and pictures about President Obama. Rather than back off, he had to double down.

      • Olga Grobut

        Yeah, Digby has gone completely around the bend on this crazy cat lady schtick. Which gives me a major sad as I voted for her in the Koufax Awards ballotting back in 2004 and 2005, when she was a fresh and interesting and totally non stupid voice in a blogging environment where we thought we were going to save the world.

        Turns out we were pretty dumb, innit?

    • Seedee Vee

      “true liberal crowd”?

    • Tort Master

      Why do you say the “lefts [sic] embrace [sic] blind embrace of Greenwald is going to hurt them down the line”? From what I’ve been able to decipher, and I’m a Ninth-Degree Mindreader, the Greenwald posse are almost all Libertarians or Anarcho-Libertarians. These are the people who videotaped the TSA doing routine airport security procedures for hours, breathing the words “Gestapo” and “Waffen SS” off and on just loud enough so that their $200 camcorder could pick it up, uploaded their proof of a security state on youtube, then watched a six-hour Ron Paul webinar about the Fed. Oh, and they hate, hate, hate President Barack Obama.

      • beulahmo

        Hey! How did you get ninth-degree mindreader? I applied to get certified but never got a response. They musta read my mind and figured out I didn’t qualify…

        You know, it’s the ‘anarcho’ part that worries me — much more than the libertarian part. It seems natural to me that young people (early 20s) would find anarcho-fillintheblank philosophies attractive; they’re still establishing a sense of independence in their psychological and social development, and they eventually grow out of their need to embrace anarchy. What bothers me is seeing the number of older people embracing this stuff. It’s difficult for me to believe that fully-matured, rational adults genuinely believe we’re all so powerless that it’s best to embrace nihilism with an ultimate goal of replacing current systems with impractical, improbable political structures. I get the feeling they’re either in a state of arrested development, or they’re living in a sort of fantasy, where they imagine they’re seeing the live enactment of a favorite futuristic dystopian piece of fiction, and they’re playing the part of a select group of knowing heroes who walk among the brainwashed hordes.

  • elgallorojo

    In my opinion, Chez Pazienza is a fucking asshole, as are the rest of you sick and moronic faux-liberal authoritarian hatemongers. Surely you support my right to do some pathetic name-calling in public alongside you all? Thanks ever so much! (And always remember: don’t talk about the issues, talk about the messengers. I know you won’t fail me.)

    • repugnicant

      Personally, I enjoy these kinds of posts from the Issues According To Glenn people. We all assume GG holds all the documents, like he said, and decides what we can and can’t see while defending human rights across the globe.. except for those poor girls, or the Russians, or Brazilians, or whoever isn’t in the U.S. or the U.K. THAT’S the kind of ‘dude’ we can all trust to control the flow of information, so bullocks to the character assassinators!

    • raina

      Weren’t you talking about the messenger, i.e. Chez, in your comment above? Mirror, dude.

    • villemar

      Grrr! Feel that white hot rage coursing through your veins. Just think, you’re stuck with OHitlermba and his Obot cultists until January Two Thousand fucking Seventeen! Holy shit! Makes you so mad doesn’t it? Why I’ll bet your blood pressure went up a few points just reading this! Don’t stroke out or anything!

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Here, apply faux-liberally:

      • BumpIt McCarthy

        Too funny. Crustaceans FTW!

      • Olga Grobut

        Thanks, I needed a good laff.

        By the way, what is it with the flying monkey purity trolls and their obsessions with the words “authoritarian” and “neoliberal?” Both are good words with useful meanings, but the gibbermonkeys hurl them around like the Goopers use “communism” – macerated pablum to indicate that I don’t like you.

    • 624LC .

      You know… Never mix alcohol and medicine. you sound like a fool

    • mwells219

      Like many Greenwald defenders, you sound like you’re about twelve years old.

      • Olga Grobut

        Middle school was the high point of their little lives and they keep trying to get back to that happy place.

    • dbtheonly

      The issues were being discussed over on Cesca’s post.

    • DEMwithBALLS

      Looks like someone ate his Wheaties today, but now his panties are all in a wad and he is gonna huff and puff and blow our house down. Will not do any good. The black guy will still be President….;) giggle

    • Badgerite

      The ‘issue’ is not just the messenger. It is his ideology driven agenda which is on full display in his response to the human plight of these girls. And in his current response to criticism of him. As if having some kind of human and empathetic feeling for the plight of these girls ( I mean I know it isn’t quite the human tragedy on a par with being detained in a room at Heathrow for 9 hours and not being able to get a Coke but I think it might warrant some human concern nonetheless) has anything in the world to do with Obama and makes you an “Obama loyslist”.
      Calling him a “fucking asshole” would be being kind.

    • beulahmo

      How nice of you to bring whine to the party! I just love vintage issues-messenger whine. What a good little Greenwald Mini-Me you are!

      The “issue” here is the messenger. And it really shouldn’t have been surprising to us, now that I reflect on it. But even we saw this as a remarkable degree of callousness on Greenwald’s part in his unending pursuit of self-serving sanctimony. I suppose it’s a big problem for narcissists: they unwittingly reveal themselves as narcissistic monsters and then (since they’re never able to admit being wrong unless it’s a thoroughly calculated career move) they have to double down when they’re called on it. But I’ve digressed. The issue is your beloved “messenger”, whose reflexively-spat-out sanctimony about “Western Interventionism” is as irrelevant to this issue as it is stone-hearted. Provision of assistance in the form of 10 advisers from U.S. military in order to rescue 270 school girls is not tantamount military intervention; but in true Greenwald style, having a sense of proportion is a nuisance when there’s sanctimony to be exploited.

  • mrbrink

    Only Chez could get away with a title like this and proceed to stick the landing.

    I think Greenwald may have felt burned by his early support for Bush’s Iraq fiasco, like a scorned lover, he’s now bitter and overcompensating for his perceived loss of innocence. Everyone must pay! If he wasn’t blogging, he might be a degree of separation from building pipe bombs in his basement.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Glenn “The Asshole” Greenwald is scheduled to be a guest on Monday’s The Colbert Report.

    http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html#CR

    Here’s hoping Stephen Colbert will take the opportunity to tell Greenwald, in his own brilliant and clever way, he’s an asshole.

    • raina

      please please please
      Somebody has to do it.

    • Razor

      Colbert is too non-asshole to do something like that. Though it does beg the question, why does such a humorless asshole like Glenn Greenwald go on comedy shows?

      Oh yeah, because there will be cameras pointed at him.

      • Seedee Vee

        More jealous wannabees . . . . .

      • Victor_the_Crab

        Oh I dunno. Remember the way in which Colbert destroyed George W. Bush, who was sitting a few feet from him, at the 2006 White House Press Corps dinner? He does have the capability to do just that, if he chooses.

    • repugnicant

      It IS a comedy show, where Greenwald belongs.

  • villemar

    GG is such a bilious cunt; I really wonder if at some point he suffered some kind of head injury that rendered inert his capacity for any kind of human empathy.

    • Mickey Bitsko

      That was right after a bucket filled with Cato Institute $$ fell on his head.

  • Harpro208

    This is Greenwald’s Cliven Bundy moment. Supporters of his will flee like cockroaches when a light comes on.

    • villemar

      Not so sure about that. His Cultists tend to octuple down when Leader is disparaged in any way. I mean look at Trulyunbelievable over at Bob’s piece, he’s been a busy bee, Gish Galloping and bending into impossible contortions trying to justify what Glenn said.

      • Seedee Vee

        Wahhh, villemar iiiisss jealous.

        • villemar

          Yeah that’s it. Send me to Jelly School because I’m totes jels.

          Seriously, are you 13?

          • Seedee Vee

            villemar, stop trolling for teens.

            That massive police state that your enemy Greenwald talks about will definitely start tracking you then. I read in some of THE RELEASED SNOWDEN/NSA DOCUMENTS that the NSA likes to catch pedophiles, like yourself, and use your private communications as a device to further Our Greater Freedoms.

    • repugnicant

      If the lights didn’t come on long ago, its far too late.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I doubt it. His acolyte will just do their usual “LALALALALA I can’t hear you!” routine.

    • dbtheonly

      Regrettably not.

  • neonnautilus

    One reason I come here is to be among all of you who feel like I do about this jerk. Keep up the good work.

  • Isaiah Earhart

    Chez Pazienza: Shit between the ears.

    Jesus, how much shit can one man stuff between his ears? Ask Chez Pazienza.

    • reggid

      “Jesus, how much shit can one man stuff between his ears?”

      I don’t know, but I can tell you how much your mom squirted out from between her legs on the day you were born.

      • raina

        Shouldn’t be funny, but I snorted.

        • JozefAL

          Me too. But I’m also eating pizza and didn’t want to spray my computer screen. So I opted for the less dignified snort. (Which almost caused snot to land on the slice of pizza I was eating. Good thing my snort wasn’t any bigger than it was. I hate wasting pizza.)

      • Seedee Vee

        reggid be mad that momma said she ugly.

    • Lady Willpower

      That’s all you got?

    • Dizivi

      Is that all?

      Really?

      Is Greenwald watching you? Are you hoping he’ll be impressed and give you a cookie?

    • Olga Grobut

      How reminiscent of Cyrano de Bergerac, the moron whose best shot was to blurt out “Big Nose!”

    • Badgerite

      OOOOOOOhh. Sarah Palin award for snark.

  • Jason E

    America has it’s problems, we’ve made our mistakes and we’ll likely make many more in the future. But we can be a force for good too! This is an opportunity to demonstrate that capability.

    • Tort Master

      Libertarians and Republicans don’t want to see Government succeed. ObamaCare is a nightmare for them. The former system was draining America. They didn’t like us getting Osama bin Laden, but for different reasons. I’m with you, Jason E, in the desire to demonstrate the capability of doing good.

  • ctrenta

    Yeah, sending 10 troops to Nigeria constitutes a western invasion. Thanks for letting us know, Glenn.

    • Seedee Vee

      Yeah, ’cause we all know that the mission always ends with the first ten.

  • CL Nicholson

    Dear Obama loyalists: next time you should also accuse those you don’t like of supporting beating babies, torturing puppies & spreading SARS

    Oh, wait, what? Wow, this is a small & petty man.

    • Alvin Miller

      Classic Glenn Greenwald. When criticized, call your opponents Obama-bots.

  • i_a_c

    Just in case anybody’s still confused:

    -Pretending this atrocity is an excuse for western intervention is offensive.
    -Turning this humanitarian mission into just another military action is offensive.
    -Decrying western intervention in the face of said atrocity and humanitarian mission is offensive. It makes you the same as Ron Paul.

    • Seedee Vee

      “Pretending” would be offensive. Reality is that the same politicians that we all “decry” as inept, moronic and perpetually short-sighted can only agree on one thing – the American Military can do no wrong.

      Turning this military action into an humanitarian mission would be against all USA history.

      Decrying that stating the obvious about American interventionism and its long long history of brutality and militarism cloaked in humanitarianism is a perfect example of American educational and literacy exceptionalism.

      It makes you John McCain, Diane Feinstein and Rick Perry – all rolled into one.

      • repugnicant

        Well, thanks for that, Glenn Greenwald, Edward Snowden and Napoleon Dynamite.

      • D_C_Wilson

        So, what does being congenitally unable to support a mission to save teenagers about to be sold into slavery make you?

        • Seedee Vee

          What makes you so gullible to believe, once again, that the US military is on the side of righteousness?

          What makes you so gullible to believe, once again, that the US military doing a humanitarian mission in an oil producing country is anything other than securing oil for your bloated petrol fueled fantasies?

          • D_C_Wilson

            Sorry, we can’t all have your received infallible wisdom from the Great Glenn Greenwald. You know, sometimes, an effort to save 270 kidnapped teenagers just is an effort to save 270 kidnapped teenagers.

          • Seedee Vee

            Your infallible military mind can explain the need for the US military for this mission?

          • D_C_Wilson

            Whether you think previous uses of the US military were justified or not, there is no denying that they are the best trained and best equipped in the world. They have the capability to be an effective asset in this effort.

            Who would you send?

          • Seedee Vee

            What makes you think the US military is the best trained and best equipped in the world? It has a distinct record of failure the last 65 years.

            “Who would you send?”

            Maybe the Nigerians?

            ““The former detainees were in a classroom. They started screaming ‘we are not Boko Haram. We are detainees!’ My neighbours and I saw the soldiers take the men to a place called ‘no man’s land,’ behind the University of Maiduguri. We watched as the soldiers opened fire killing all 56. They were killed in front of us. All of them.”

            Other eyewitnesses in Jiddari Polo, also in Maiduguri, described how members of the “Civilian Joint Task Force” rounded up freed prisoners and handed them to soldiers. More than 190 people were executed, many of whom were too frail to run.

            “I saw the soldiers asking the people to lie on the ground. There was a small argument between the soldiers and the civilian JTF. The soldiers made some calls and a few minutes later they started shooting the people on the ground. I counted
            198 people killed at that checkpoint.”

            Maybe the Nigerians are the problem.

          • Cthulhu0818

            Agreed, but you gotta face facts. Since Iraq was shut down and A’stan is drawing to a close, the GOPwarmonger and Chickenhawk Waffle Shoppe have been flailing around trying to find their next war for profit and false patriotism so they can kill more of our troopers and then ignore them when they come home.
            I’m liberal enough to want us to go in there, rescue those girls and kick 7 different colors of shit out of these scumbags, and cynical enough to know the GOP will try to turn it into a war they can make money from.

          • beulahmo

            Won’t happen in this case. They’re too busy salivating over Iran.

          • http://www.facebook.com/people/Jane-Snape/100001971991197 Jane Snape

            The GOP is trying to “finesse” this by mocking Michelle Obama’s publicizing the girls’ plight, while saying that nothing short of armed intervention will do the trick (even though FLOTUS’ efforts forced Boko Haram to stop talking about selling the girls and start talking about freeing them).

        • i_a_c

          Dang. So sorry I missed whatever this was. :(

  • WiscoJoe

    Typical libertarian behavior. Claiming the privilege to ignore even the most basic of social mores, while still feeling entitled to be fully embraced by the culture at large without consequences. It’s like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum and then demanding to be treated like an adult.

  • Phinny

    Seriously, what is wrong with this guy? I feel bad for his partner.

    • ctrenta

      I feel bad for Glenn. I can’t imagine how much self-loathing he must have to react/say these sorts of things in public.

      • Seedee Vee

        The head-up-your-ass cognition abilities of The Daily Banter crowd amaze no one.

      • Alvin Miller

        Self loathing? Try hubris pride. Glenn thinks he’s the most brilliant man to ever have lived. His ego is off the charts.

  • DEMwithBALLS

    I really hate that guy. Snowden too. Jeez they are both pompous assholes. LOVE Charles Pierce though. I would never have seen him as a Greenwald/Snowden supporter. Must have slept thru that one.

    • ChrisAndersen

      I don’t think Pierce supports them. He just argues that the issue is to important to allow it to be side-tracked by the personalities of Greenwald or Snowden. I agree. But Greenwald and Snowden do not. They want themselves to be the center of the debate and do everything they can to insert themselves into it.

    • Olga Grobut

      Pierce is a tiresome old wet brain. I gave up on him years ago.

      • DEMwithBALLS

        I would go read him simply for coming up with the name ‘Tiger Beat On The Potomac’ about Politico. Most perfect name Evah!!

  • That River Gal

    Love it!!!