Could This Be the Reason No One Showed Up To Overthrow the Government Last Friday?

The problem with being paranoid is that it’s not the kind of thing you can just turn on and off. If you’re someone who sees invisible threats around every corner and who warns that vigilance and suspicion is what’s always necessary to avoid becoming one of the hapless sheeple, you’re not likely to trust anyone. And by anyone, I mean anyone — even those you call your friends. After all, how do you know that those close to you who’ve gained your confidence really are who they say they are? How do you know the people who live next door to you, or maybe your own family, aren’t in on the conspiracy? Spend every minute of every day immersed in elaborate fever dreams for which you have no proof, just a lot of baseless fear and paranoia, and you start to see the secret lie behind everything. “Trust no one,” becomes the mantra you live by.

It’s this kind of thinking that leads to the dangerous, but admittedly amusing, infighting we’ve seen from the militia groups who’ve made Bunkerville, Nevada their home for the last month or so. In case you haven’t been following now that their news cycle has rolled over, the militia presence near the Bundy Ranch hasn’t diminished since armed cowboys held federal agents at bay on April 12th by pointing guns at them. On the contrary, the situation has in some ways only gotten more tense. Over the past month, the interaction between the various factions of neo-confederate Bundy supporters has at times bordered on slapstick, with accusations and counter-accusations being flung back and forth, all laced with military jargon and punctuated by cries of “deserter” and “traitor.”

The most entertaining bit of self-immolation came when one of the groups that had set up camp in Bunkerville, the Oath Keepers, “bugged out” because they’d supposedly received “credible intel” — remember, these are mostly middle-aged white-guy nobodies spouting this muscular-sounding crap — that the government was going to attack them using drones. This led another militia within the supposed Bundy Security Staff to accuse the Oath Keepers of treason and threaten to shoot them. The Oath Keepers responded, of course, by claiming that the other militia was in fact made up of “FBI infiltrators.” Again, when you’re shit-scared of every single thing it’s impossible to put that aside, even for a few minutes, and cooperate in the name of some greater good. “The conspiracy is everywhere — don’t you see it?”

That brings us to last Friday’s big revolution that never was. Operation American Spring, as it was dubbed, was a monumental failure by any standard. The Patriot Movement clowns putting it together promised at least 1.8 million people on the Capitol Mall, with estimates that the crowd could easily go as high as 10 million people or even 30 million. In the end, about a hundred old white assholes showed up. They swore their show of strength would be so impressive that it would by itself convince President Obama to drop what he was doing, forget he was elected to his office twice, and just step down, conceding defeat; instead, a couple of people shouted into a bullhorn for a few minutes then everyone went back to their rooms at the Motel 6 to sulk. President Obama remained in office. Show’s over, folks — nothing to see here.

But what if Operation American Spring actually was a huge success? What if the handful of people who showed up represented the real indictment of the government — because it prevented the feds from carrying out their secret nefarious plan?

A couple of days before the event, word began circulating online that Operation American Spring was actually nothing but a trap designed to lure millions of freedom-loving patriots to Washington, DC, where federal agents would then swoop down on them and round them up, Gestapo-style. The original promotion for the event called specifically for attendees to be unarmed — that, according to the Inception-level conspiracy-within-a-conspiracy, was the giveaway, because if the crowd was unarmed it would make it that much easier for Obama to unleash his jackbooted thugs on it. As you know, the reason it’s imperative that you have your gun on you at all times, no matter where you are, is that you never know when danger will strike. An unarmed person is a sitting duck — and that’s just what Obama would’ve wanted.

“We are being asked to walk up to our enemy unarmed,” said concerned YouTube LoyalToTheRepublic:

YouTube Preview Image

But that’s just speculation and suspicion. Thankfully, David Chase Taylor has “facts” on his side. You might remember Taylor as the guy who claimed that Paul Walker was assassinated by a drone strike and that President Obama once plotted to blow up the Super Bowl with a nuclear weapon. He’s so batshit crazy even Alex Jones won’t go near him. Four days before Operation American Spring was to take place, he posted a lengthy, relentlessly detailed warning that well-meaning patriots were being set up by the CIA, with agents within the government planning to stage a coup and pin the blame on Obama’s enemies so that a civil war could commence. (Don’t think too hard about it; it’ll just make your head hurt.) Taylor spelled out the series of ominous events that had so far led up to Operation American Spring and that convinced him something was wrong.

For example:

In what appears to be a pre-White House terror exercise, it was reported on May 6, 2014, that a car allegedly trailing President Obama daughters’ motorcade prompted a White House lockdown. Whether the lockdown provided the necessary cover for the installation of demolition explosives and/or weapons inside the White House is not known, but said explosives could be detonated via remote control at a future date (May 13-16?) in order to give the appearance of a coordinated coup or terrorist attack.

Sounds like a perfectly legit argument: “Look, the White House does exist and it is possible to detonate explosives by remote control, ipso facto, the CIA has probably planted explosives in the White House and they’re going to make the Operation American Springers their patsies!” It’s such a perfect illustration of how conspiracy theorists think, the way they’re able through nothing more than absolute certainty in their own delusions and a healthy dose of confirmation bias to connect unconnectable dots.

Look, normally I’d just make fun of this crap and be done with it. But maybe the incident in Connecticut last week, where someone stole the sign from a Sandy Hook victim’s memorial playground and then called to taunt the little girl’s mother, was a reminder that the horseshit these people subscribe to has real-world consequences. Their insanity informs their actions and their worship of the irrational leads them to do irrational things — things the rest of us then have to live with. It’s admittedly a blast to watch the conspiracist crowd eat itself alive like an Ouroboros with Down Syndrome, but there’s likely to be collateral damage involved at some point, and that shouldn’t be forgotten and can’t be tolerated.

Operation American Spring was always a non-starter, simply because those involved have always sorely overestimated their numbers, their tactics, and the resolve of very tired old men. But a dying animal can still be dangerous. As usual, nothing any of these idiots predicted came true: there was no revolution, there was no dissident round-up, and in the big picture they’ve all still got their guns because nobody’s fucking taken them away. But I suppose that if they retroactively jump on the “It’s a Trap” bandwagon it’ll allow them to keep their delusions going strong and maybe even convince them that last Friday’s embarrassment was, in fact, a victory.

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

The Sony Hacker Terrorists Did Not 'Win'

The Sony Hacker Terrorists Did Not 'Win'

Sony's cancellation of the premiere of The Interview has prompted a bipartisan consensus that the st[Read more...]
North Korea Gets Another Movie Pulled, So Let's Just Send All Scripts To Kim Jong-un First

North Korea Gets Another Movie Pulled, So Let's Just Send All Scripts To Kim Jong-un First

After Hollywood's total capitulation, the next step is to send all scripts to North Korea for approv[Read more...]
Boehner Condemns Obama's Cuba Policy, Owns Tons of Stock in Corps Doing Business with Human Rights Violators

Boehner Condemns Obama's Cuba Policy, Owns Tons of Stock in Corps Doing Business with Human Rights Violators

Boehner is making a bundle from corporations that are actively exploiting workers and racking up hum[Read more...]
Barbara Walters' 'Most Fascinating' Special Raises a Big Middle Finger to Feminism

Barbara Walters' 'Most Fascinating' Special Raises a Big Middle Finger to Feminism

Babs's annual list of her Most Fascinating People was just released. While there is no reason to tak[Read more...]
U.S. Intelligence Officials Link Sony Attack To North Korea
  • Hemisemidemiquaver

    “there was no revolution, there was no dissident round-up,”

    I just love how the next big thing is always in the future. Gay marriage will crash our civilization before the end of the decade. Conservatives will all be herded into FEMA reeducation camps early in 2015. Etc, etc. (Notice, too, it’s always a few years off. Gotta keep fleecing the rubes for just a bit longer.)

    Jerry Pournelle used to write a computer column back in the 1980’s. He had a term for promises made about where things like new software packages would be released: Real Soon Now. And he always wrote it capitalized as I did.

    A’yup. Whatever is the next thing after OAS is gonna spark the Second American Revolution. I expect it Real Soon Now.

  • http://www.manfromatlan.blogspot.com manfromatlan

    Maybe the 100 ‘white crazies’ who showed up were all FBI informants? Just saying ;)

  • tomshefchik

    We know the conspiracy theories are crackers. There isn’t enough room in the FEMA camps for the 20 people who showed up.

  • http://www.osborneink.com/ OsborneInk

    This is actually one of the most-studied aspects of cult psychology. Rationalization is how the Millerites became three consequential churches (Jehovah’s Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, and Branch Davidians) even after William Miller’s prediction of Judgment Day failed to materialize in 1844. Historians call it “the Great Disappointment,” which makes it a pretty good analogue for Operation American Spring.

  • tjuarez

    This particular brand of idiocy has been around forever. When Shakespeare had Dick the Butcher shout “first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers!” in Henry IV part2, it wasn’t a sympathetic hatred for lawyers, but to mock the idiocy of mob
    justice.

    These poor dopes learned somewhere that the Constitution is the founding document of the nation and think that by saying the word “Constitution” over and over, it makes their comically stupid proclamations sound more weighty or credible.

    I think perhaps Messrs. Dunning and Krueger were more on point than even they realized: These guys obviously have never read the Constitution (or didn’t understand it if they did), and apparently think that because they haven’t read it, nobody else has either, so they can say this crap and not have any clue just how ridiculous it sounds – or worse, that because nobody else is saying it they must have some secret insight.

    You’re right – it’d be funny if the ubiquity of firearms didn’t make it so dangerous.

  • bobhuntsman

    and. . .how many PortaPotties did OAS order to accomodate 10-30 million people??

    • john

      They were planning to crap on you.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Since the conspiratorial mind is convinced that any objectively-observable reality that doesn’t validate the conspiracy is by definition part of the conspiracy, I think it’s unlikely that any of these folks will ever question the notion that 90% of the U.S. population agrees with them and feels the same way they do.

  • tjuarez

    Isn’t Bunkerville in Nevada?

    • Chez Pazienza

      Yup. Corrected. Brain fart.

  • BumpIt McCarthy

    Chez, this is such a good article, with the fresh information about even more breathtaking paranoiac wingnutry than the loopy band of ZZ Bottoms who actually showed up.

    There’s been a lot of talk lately about how the ending “tard” has been divorced from its original meaning and is now open for applying as an insult without insulting sufferers of a genetic disorder (an argument I don’t buy). But there’s no doubt whatsoever whom you’re referencing here: a group of utterly vulnerable people who, if you ever get to know any, you’d discover are not synonyms for “stupid.”

  • Ezra Bennett

    It would have at least been *something* if even the apparent organizers of this even were even present when it took place. But they weren’t. This “captain Karl” (or whatever his name is) wasn’t even there…so, he basically left thirty or forty people swinging in the breeze, as it were. Hell, even Sarah Palin, who is always on the lookout for a photo op, didn’t bother to give the tens if people five minutes of prerecorded bloated Freedumb filled dialog…and this kind of thing is right up her alley!

    I hope none of these poor bastards gave the organizers any of their money.

    • Deborah Dietz

      Hope they divested themselves of their life’s savings to whomever duped them.

  • JozefAL

    Four days before Operation American Spring was to take place, he posted a lengthy relentlessly detailed warning
    that well-meaning patriots were being set up by the CIA, with agents
    within the government planning to stage a coup and pin the blame on
    Obama’s enemies so that a civil war could commence. (Don’t think too
    hard about it; it’ll just make your head hurt.)

    Don’t THINK about it; it’ll just make your head hurt?

    Hell, just READING it made my eyes and head hurt.

  • Badgerite

    What a fine civilization they would build.

  • The Vicenarian

    The glee with which the liberal blogosphere has mocked “Operation American Spring” for low turnout has almost (but, and I cannot stress this enough, not quite) made me feel sorry for the bastards.

    If they weren’t so potentially dangerous, it would be fun to watch them lash out as they disappear into irrelevancy. It doesn’t matter if they don’t have “millions.” It only takes one maniac with a gun to run your whole day.

  • D_C_Wilson

    It’s interesting how, even since he told us what he knew “about the Negro”, the major news channels seem to have lost interest in covering Bundy’s saga. He’s still there and his militiamen are still batshit crazy, but no one is paying attention any more.

  • Dago T

    Oops, I think I was the one who suggested attacking them with drones. It may have been right here.

    Apologies.

  • NintendoWii10

    And Klayman the clown wants ANOTHER revolution, this time to keep Hillary from becoming President of the United States. These folks are funnier than Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert ever could be.

  • Jason E

    A protest without your AR-15 isn’t freedom. Duhmocracy!

  • http://brucegerencser.net/ Bruce Gerencser

    “Ouroboros with Down Syndrome” poor choice of words in an otherwise great article.

    Down Syndrome does not equal idiot/moron. In fact, I suspect many people with Down Syndrome likely have a higher IQ than the nuts at Bundy’s ranch.

    • Alan Batterman

      A dead rat has a higher IQ than the nuts at Bundy’s ranch. I have personally known people with Down’s Syndrome with higher IQ’s than all TeathugliKKKans.

  • Da Dorq

    Operation American Spring died not with a bang, but with a 50% off sale on Ed Hardy stuff at Macy’s.

    • Sams Mom

      All shoved in the basket of grandpa’s hoveround.