The Best Viral Bullshit Headline of the Day

Buzzfeed wannabe site 'LifeBuzz' (see the similarities?) is upping the ante on making people read whatever list of banal life tips it has ripped off from another banal list of life tips. Telling readers that by not making their way through at least 22 of the the 30 [insert meaningless list items], "You'll never get out alive".
Buzzfeed wannabe site 'LifeBuzz' (see the similarities?) is upping the ante on making people read whatever list of banal life tips it has ripped off from another banal list of life tips. Telling readers that by not making their way through at least 22 of the the 30 [insert meaningless list items], "You'll never get out alive".
wolfofbuzzfeed2

Buzzfeed wannabe site 'LifeBuzz' (see the similarities?) is upping the ante on making people read whatever list of banal life tips it has ripped off from another banal list of life tips.

They are now telling readers that by not making their way through at least 22 of the the 30 [insert meaningless list items], "You'll never get out alive".

Yes, they really did:

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 1.25.30 PM

I'm starting to see the explosion of viral content websites built specifically for Facebook as a very grave threat to the future of the internet and publishing in general. There are now so many websites pumping out hundreds of 'Top 10' lists on a daily basis that soon enough, that's what the internet will be; one giant vortex of chopped up lists hashed and rehashed over and over again by an increasingly concentrated conglomerate of list farms.

I have no idea who is behind LifeBuzz (their site has no company information whatsoever), but I'd wager money that it is looking to get bought out once it amasses a significant enough following. It's a pretty simple equation:

Come up with site name similar to very successful viral website + Pump out almost identical content to copied website = Lots of readers and money!

I'd love to say that the viral list trend is dying out, but when you look at scary charts like this:

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 2.10.38 PM

The picture is pretty clear: We're fucked.